Equestrian Girls

lunatastic

As someone that thinks the first two episodes are not good and nearly repelled me from watching the further episodes, the film remains uninteresting and shallow for myself. I don't watch the show for morals I already follow anyway, I'm more interested in the characters in the fantastical setting of Equestria.

I prefer to watch it again just to see Twilight in her beautiful school dress, it'll look a lot better when a proper clean and colour-rich copy becomes availalble. Hopefully someone in DA will be the first to actually make a plush for at least 32 inches tall.

I just finished watching it. It was better than expected, though I can't say that I love it. It felt more like a longer version of any of the first two episodes in any season than an actual movie.

There was a lot of opportunity for awkward situations to happen, but luckily it was kept to a minimum.

I can say that the human models started to grow on me when the film progressed.

Overall, I liked it, though it's not anything special.

Value will always fall over time, it's hard to keep it forever. But so far, it's still special to me when those human versions are nice, the Mane 6 and Sunset Shimmer are the great characters I love in human form, oh yeah, I notice on Trixie too, gotta love having her eat her favorite peanut butter cracker. :)

Equestria Girls is basically a Friendship is Magic movie. It fits in with Friendship is Magic in tone, themes and fills in part of the overall plot of the series. Its no different then if a movie was made out of any of the two parters.

*Shameless plug to blog entry review of movie*

Star Swirl's Review of Equestria Girls

I tried to be as fair as possible.

(BTW, I agreed with IMDB in that 6.5/10 was a fair score)

I prefer Rotten Tomatoes instead, http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/my_little_pony_equestria_girls/

It gave the movie 83% and it's Fresh! :D

*Shameless plug to blog entry review of movie*

Star Swirl's Review of Equestria Girls

I tried to be as fair as possible.

(BTW, I agreed with IMDB in that 6.5/10 was a fair score)

You mentioned plot holes but I don't feel you really described any, as in the plot contradicted itself. There is stuff that characters do that isn't the most sensible in hind sight, but that isn't a plot hole

You mentioned plot holes but I don't feel you really described any, as in the plot contradicted itself. There is stuff that characters do that isn't the most sensible in hind sight, but that isn't a plot hole

You don't need contradiction of plot directly for it to be a plothole. Just contradiction in general, including logic.

"[colour=#000000]A [/colour]plot hole[colour=#000000], or [/colour]plothole[colour=#000000], a play on the word "[/colour]pothole[colour=#000000]," is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of [/colour]logic[colour=#000000] established by the story's [/colour]plot[colour=#000000], or constitutes a blatant omission of relevant information regarding the plot sometimes even contradicting itself"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]I described several lapses in logic from what we know of the plot or relevant information. So yeah, they are still plotholes. Like the relevance of having that identical crown that was just forgotten about? Yeah that is an omission and thus a plothole.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Knowing how to use a computer's keyboard and then not knowing for the sake of a picture? That is a plothole. The entire library scene was basically one big plothole because they established that Twilight had already acclimated to doing things with her hands. Then they turned around and nixed all of that for the sake of blackmail. [/colour]

[colour=#000000]Perhaps the other one wasn't a plothole, but it is still a serious lapse in logic.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Heck, according to TV Tropes EVERYTHING I described with the logic of the film is a plothole. So both Wikipedia AND TV Tropes agree that this is a plothole ridden movie.[/colour]

He explained that very well actually, perhaps you just missed it during your first read over :D

A plot hole is something that goes against what is established by the story. Being only okay with using hands is not a plothole. A person can somewhat acquire a skill but not master it immediately. If I super concentrate I can write somewhatlegibility with my non-dominate hand but if I lapse in my concentration I will quickly lose what little legibility I have with it. It was not established that Twilight had mastered her new form she only had for a few hours so being incompetent in it is not a plot hole or much of a plot inconsistency really.

A plot hole is something that goes against what is established by the story. Being only okay with using hands is not a plothole. A person can somewhat acquire a skill but not master it immediately. If I super concentrate I can write somewhatlegibility with my non-dominate hand but if I lapse in my concentration I will quickly lose what little legibility I have with it. It was not established that Twilight had mastered her new form she only had for a few hours so being incompetent in it is not a plot hole or much of a plot inconsistency really.

So that is still only one example (which I don't agree with since, at least with the computer she was fully concentrating on it, in fact when she was not concentrating she used the tips of her fingers to type instead of her fists which goes against all logic)... And again it was a cheap ploy for more "I'm a pony not a human I don't know how to do things" and get those pictures. And on top of that, she was shown to not concentrate on using her hands in many other instances and she didn't use her mouth then either, like right after that when she was talking to spike about the yearbook, she wasn't concentrating on using her hands she just did it.

The others are still plotholes too. Two crowns, forgetting the second one. Ignoring gossip in a HS. Not throwing the crown through the portal, which is how the crown entered the world in the first place... The list goes on. Whether you want to admit to it or not, there were many plotholes in it, and I pointed out several.

Not being good at her new body at a point where the plot later shows her not being good at her new body later on is not a plot hole.

Not bringing a useless crown on a mission where she has no reason to believe it would be useful, nor are we even shown a reason for it to be useful, is not a plot hole. If Twilight brought the other crown at most it would create an opportunity for her to say "I have a crown that looks like that crown" with no reason to exchange them or make anybody believe the crown the school has is her crown.

I am not sure what your gossip related plot hole is since the movie acknowledges that the characters never addressed the issues they had with each other, meaning there is an explanation for their actions.

Not throwing the crown into the portal is easily explained, in the heat of the moment people react fast and don't always do the best thing. Why when you were ten did you not make a three point shot at the school basketball game to win? Apparently its easy to know what to do and then do it after all. A character sucking at something is not a plot hole.

Not being good at her new body at a point where the plot later shows her not being good at her new body later on is not a plot hole.

Not bringing a useless crown on a mission where she has no reason to believe it would be useful, nor are we even shown a reason for it to be useful, is not a plot hole. If Twilight brought the other crown at most it would create an opportunity for her to say "I have a crown that looks like that crown" with no reason to exchange them or make anybody believe the crown the school has is her crown.

I am not sure what your gossip related plot hole is since the movie acknowledges that the characters never addressed the issues they had with each other, meaning there is an explanation for their actions.

Not throwing the crown into the portal is easily explained, in the heat of the moment people react fast and don't always do the best thing. Why when you were ten did you not make a three point shot at the school basketball game to win? Apparently its easy to know what to do and then do it after all. A character sucking at something is not a plot hole.

And she was shown at being good at her body MOMENTS before. They had shown she had acclimated. It isn't like the human body is ill designed. In fact they over played that terribly (that is more of a personal annoyance though).

Yes, don't bring the object that could be switched with the real deal if needed. You are now impressing your headcanon onto the movie. The crowns looked nothing alike. Again, the real deal looked, well REAL. A school would not be able to afford that it would have been an easy switch. Especially since Principle Celestia would have seen the original crown and known the difference.

You've never been to high school have you? Gossip travels fast. If the friends weren't talking to each other the softball team would have talked and even if RD wasn't talking to AJ the word would have reached her eventually. And again, most of that scene was forced and contrived anyway to create the situation where they were separated. Sunset Shimmer even admitted to there being gossip when she confronted AJ.

Edit: On second thought, the entire ploy seemed suspect. Assuming that the internet and phones work the same (we were shown how they function so I have no reason to doubt it)... That actually makes it worse... How did Sunset Shimmer gain access to their email accounts and cell phones? Pinkie even showed that she never sent a text. So how did she fake her number? And if she took her phone she must have deleted the text, but considering that she seemed surprised a text was even sent that means it had to be faked some how. Which makes no sense...

No it isn't. She literally closed her eyes and threw it backwards. She may not be good at things, but she isn't stupid. Closing your eyes and throwing backwards (when everyone is in front of you) is pretty dumb. Had she caught it off balance and fell backwards RELEASING the crown that would be different. That would show ineptitude. That is not what occurred though.

[colour=#282828]Yes, don't bring the object that could be switched with the real deal if needed. You are now impressing your headcanon onto the movie. The crowns looked nothing alike. Again, the real deal looked, well REAL. A school would not be able to afford that it would have been an easy switch. Especially since Principle Celestia would have seen the original crown and known the difference.[/colour]

Its not headcannon, its something brought up in the movie. Twilight tells Spike the reason she didn't tell Principal Celestia it was her crown was because her story is crazy and without proof. Bringing the crown would have been smart but in the end wouldn't have made a difference. It would be like if somebody walked up to you with a jacket that looks like yours and said "Hey, you actually have my jacket even though I have no proof and you have no reason to trust me, lets trade." It would look sketchy.

[colour=#282828]You've never been to high school have you? Gossip travels fast. If the friends weren't talking to each other the softball team would have talked and even if RD wasn't talking to AJ the word would have reached her eventually. And again, most of that scene was forced and contrived anyway to create the situation where they were separated. Sunset Shimmer even admitted to there being gossip when she confronted AJ.[/colour]

Have you ever met a teenage girl? If there is anybody willing to hold a grudge over a social slight it is them. Even if you don't buy the plot point it isn't a plot hole because the story is consistent on this point.

Edit: On second thought, the entire ploy seemed suspect. Assuming that the internet and phones work the same (we were shown how they function so I have no reason to doubt it)... That actually makes it worse... How did Sunset Shimmer gain access to their email accounts and cell phones? Pinkie even showed that she never sent a text. So how did she fake her number? And if she took her phone she must have deleted the text, but considering that she seemed surprised a text was even sent that means it had to be faked some how. Which makes no sense...

Its possible to fake texts and emails. One might question why Sunset Simmer would bother but she also plans on taking over a country with a group of teenagers, so it would appear that she is good at executing plans, but not the best at creating them.

[colour=#282828]No it isn't. She literally closed her eyes and threw it backwards. She may not be good at things, but she isn't stupid. Closing your eyes and throwing backwards (when everyone is in front of you) is pretty dumb. Had she caught it off balance and fell backwards RELEASING the crown that would be different. That would show ineptitude. That is not what occurred though. [/colour]

Not a plot hole, just a character being dumb

She told Spike the reason, which made sense without the crown only. Again, Celestia or Luna have seen the crown before, ergo, they would know it was the real one pretty easily. They barely looked alike.

Yes, but they didn't even hear of anything. Holding grudges aside, she never even heard a whisper about the softball team showing up on the wrong day. It wasn't like it only affected RD, and was thus selfcontained like the others.

It is harder to fake a text than an email. Email you can hack the account, text, unless you have webtexting, is much harder.

Which is a plothole. "Characters ignoring or avoiding obvious solutions to their problems." [from TV Tropes] (this also consequently applies to the crown thing. Another thing she could have done, had she not brought the crown for proof, is go back, grab the crown and enter into the world again. Sunset Shimmer did the same. So long as the portal was open she could have just done that. Obvious solution overlooked)

On top of that, considering that RD is the loyal one. Her not approaching AJ is also technically a plothole from a preexisting character trait which would make this relevant too "Characters acting completely Out of Character for no explicable reason." And you can't say that she isn't since she embodies it enough to react to the Twilight's crown.

Also Sunset Shimmer's knowledge is vexing as well.

"Characters suddenly having knowledge that was never passed to them, or vice versa; characters not knowing something they knew last week, or something that anyone in their position must know." I explained that too in my review. Only very shoddy reasoning can explain it. And how would she know what an element could do in an alternate universe, how could anyone unless it was tried. And according to the first episode they weren't used for 1000 years. (Which makes the entire premise of the movie suspect)

Okay, here is my full review, upon watching Equestria Girls:

I don't think it's bad, regardless of the horrible songs.

Obviously, I was a big hater, like some of the bronies before they came into the fandom. The ending was pretty nice, except the punishment was pretty dull.

I think you should watch it, it's actually a nice movie if you look away from it's flaws.

She told Spike the reason, which made sense without the crown only. Again, Celestia or Luna have seen the crown before, ergo, they would know it was the real one pretty easily. They barely looked alike.

Yes, but they didn't even hear of anything. Holding grudges aside, she never even heard a whisper about the softball team showing up on the wrong day. It wasn't like it only affected RD, and was thus selfcontained like the others.

It is harder to fake a text than an email. Email you can hack the account, text, unless you have webtexting, is much harder.

Which is a plothole. "Characters ignoring or avoiding obvious solutions to their problems." [from TV Tropes] (this also consequently applies to the crown thing. Another thing she could have done, had she not brought the crown for proof, is go back, grab the crown and enter into the world again. Sunset Shimmer did the same. So long as the portal was open she could have just done that. Obvious solution overlooked)

On top of that, considering that RD is the loyal one. Her not approaching AJ is also technically a plothole from a preexisting character trait which would make this relevant too "Characters acting completely Out of Character for no explicable reason." And you can't say that she isn't since she embodies it enough to react to the Twilight's crown.

Also Sunset Shimmer's knowledge is vexing as well.

"Characters suddenly having knowledge that was never passed to them, or vice versa; characters not knowing something they knew last week, or something that anyone in their position must know." I explained that too in my review. Only very shoddy reasoning can explain it. And how would she know what an element could do in an alternate universe, how could anyone unless it was tried. And according to the first episode they weren't used for 1000 years. (Which makes the entire premise of the movie suspect)

A plothole is a contradiction of facts established by the story. If you are using a definition that is basically "If I don't like how something happened it is a plot hole" then I guess that is why this movie, and probably every other movie, is full of plot holes.

The crown looks enough alike that everybody thinks it is the same crown. Twilight bringing the fake one with her could have been something she tried but she chose not to. Choosing a different course of action then what one viewer would have done is not a plot hole.

Faking emails and texts is not a plot hole. We are not given a reason to think this universe jumping magical creature that has the ability to manipulate hundreds of people and has world domination plans doesn't know how to do this. In fact we are given evidence she does know how to do this as she does it.

All the characters act contrary to their elements at times. Rainbow Dash moreso then the others.

Just because Sunset Simmer knows stuff, that doesn't make it a plothole. We are kept in the dark of how she found out about it but apparently she has some sort of method. Plus did she actually say she knew what it would do? I thought it was all based on theory