Equestrian Girls

lunatastic

Anyway, woo! Good movie, I gotta say, Flash Sentry seems not such a bad guy, compare with the previous criticisms I read about him from others, well, here is something simple that what brought Flash & Sparkle together, except it's a little bit different. Here's the example I recall in my memory, Disney's Mulan. Flash Sentry being the 3 soldiers (who are Mulan & General Li Shang's bodyguards), in the sequel Disney film, the 3 soldiers do their normal things while the Emperor's 3 princess daughters took interest in them. I recall that part but I can't seem to remember the rest on how they fall in love with each other, so all I'm saying is that Flash, he is cool on his own being the guitar player and such, but again, like the 3 soldiers, he mind his own business till Twilight caught his eye, just like how the 3 Princesses caught their sights on the 3 soldiers.

But overall, people have their opinions and I support this ship! I always go with the flow, just like how I support Big Mac & Cheerilee.

I wish this movie was easier for everyone to see right away, but I'm afraid we'll need to be patient for the official media release. Please don't post cam grabs, torrents, or links to files of this movie anywhere on Canterlot.com.

Until then, enjoy it in the theater if you can! qa9pR63.gif

Ok, now it's time for 'old man' Mojo to weigh in on the EQG Movie now that I've actually seen it.

To be honest, I was skeptical about the entire concept, but when fellow Canterlot Staff members spoke so glowingly about it, I decided to give it a look. I have to say, although it wasn' the total dumpster fire I thought it was going to be, I was a little (but not a lot) disappointed in it overall.

Before all you bronies attack me, hear me out. To me, there is a LOT to like about this film! I'll list the good points first, then my criticisms. (Any spoiler material I will properly 'shield').

Good Points:

#1 -- the songs

To me, this aspect was the strongest part of the movie. LOVED the songs! I do have one favorite, but I won't mention it here due to possible spoilage factor (one clue, it's the LONGEST song in the movie).

#2 -- Seeing Cast/Background chars as human-like

Also very enjoyable and amusing to go the 'Where's Waldo" route to spot humanized ponies during the run of the film. The fact that I could recognize a LOT of them scores big for me.

#3 -- Overall movie plot DOES fit the cartoon canon (but it's a rather rough fit, more on that later).

Other good points (Spoiler mode)

#4 -- The Pony names for the humans. This was a borderline call for me, though it seemed weird for humans to be known by one word names, I can see why the writers did this to avoid audience confusion. It also stands to reason that if there was a parallel alternate universe to Equestria, it would very much resemble it (such as the parallel universe of the Star Trek series universe).

#5 -- The ending was a bit fast and routine, but it DID fit the regular show canon and overall theme of the movie.

Now, the negatives (in spoiler mode for those who haven't seen the movie)

#1 -- Several BIG 'plot holes' in the film. To me, the biggest one occurs in the first fifteen minutes concerning the crown Fluttershy found and turned in at the office. IF this crown was SO important to Sunset Shimmer, why didn't she just storm into Celestia's office and claim the crown was hers? For that matter, why didn't Twi tell Celestia the truth that the lost crown was really hers? I know the crown was essential to the central plot of the movie, but to me, it would've made more sense for both SS and Twi to have rushed into the office and claim it. Then Celestia could've asked for proof (which neither lady has) and still go on with the story of rewarding it to the winner of the vote at the Formal. Would've been a bit more believable that way.

#2 -- For all this taking place at a school, there was very little (if any) classroom scenes in the entire film. Are the writers trying to say that the ONLY activity that takes place in human schools is social posturing?

#3 -- If this is Canterlot High School, what are Sweetie Belle, AppleBloom and Scootaloo doing there? I know where I live, in West Virginia, there are a handful of small schools that have grades K thru 12 in them, but Canterlot High seems to be a LOT bigger than that. Sure it was cute to see them there, but honestly, that part just didn't fit so well.

#4 -- How could a 'transfer' student who was only at the school for a few days become SO popular in three days to basically win an election of any kind? Ok, perhaps the Magic of Friendship has a lot to do with this, but this point was just not believable to me. I know it's a BIG part of the movie plot, but it was just a real 'reach' for my to accept this.

#5 -- Sunset Shimmer wrecks the school and Twi and her pals leave a HUGE crater in front of it and NO principal/teacher even thinks to call either the police or their PARENTS? Really? Does that seem plausable?

#6 -- In the last scene, Celestia and the Mane 5 seem very accepting of Twi being from an alternate universe and aren't all that sad to see her go. That just seems amiss to me.

#7 -- I really did NOT like the way Snips and Snails were cast in this film. Snips and Snails aren't really 'evil' or 'bad' guys, I consider them a safe-for-work pony version of Beavis and Butthead. I can't see them wrecking the gym on purpose. In 'Boast Busters', they did bring the Ursa Minor to Ponyville, but that really was more an act of stupidity than revenge or meanness.

As I said before, overall, though I was disappointed with the film, I admit to have enjoyed viewing it. This is a HUGE change of mind for me about this film, so I at least came THIS far, ok?

yeah, you won't be a lone adult. Haha If possible, go watch in theaters. The crowd reactions to BG characters and references to the show is part of the exp.

@mojo

for your negatives, I agree with #1 and #7. The rest I was able to suspend my disbelief cuz I saw it as mlp being mlp. Simple and for kids.

Ok, now it's time for 'old man' Mojo to weigh in on the EQG Movie now that I've actually seen it.

To be honest, I was skeptical about the entire concept, but when fellow Canterlot Staff members spoke so glowingly about it, I decided to give it a look. I have to say, although it wasn' the total dumpster fire I thought it was going to be, I was a little (but not a lot) disappointed in it overall.

Before all you bronies attack me, hear me out. To me, there is a LOT to like about this film! I'll list the good points first, then my criticisms. (Any spoiler material I will properly 'shield').

Good Points:

#1 -- the songs

To me, this aspect was the strongest part of the movie. LOVED the songs! I do have one favorite, but I won't mention it here due to possible spoilage factor (one clue, it's the LONGEST song in the movie).

#2 -- Seeing Cast/Background chars as human-like

Also very enjoyable and amusing to go the 'Where's Waldo" route to spot humanized ponies during the run of the film. The fact that I could recognize a LOT of them scores big for me.

#3 -- Overall movie plot DOES fit the cartoon canon (but it's a rather rough fit, more on that later).

Other good points (Spoiler mode)

#4 -- The Pony names for the humans. This was a borderline call for me, though it seemed weird for humans to be known by one word names, I can see why the writers did this to avoid audience confusion. It also stands to reason that if there was a parallel alternate universe to Equestria, it would very much resemble it (such as the parallel universe of the Star Trek series universe).

#5 -- The ending was a bit fast and routine, but it DID fit the regular show canon and overall theme of the movie.

Now, the negatives (in spoiler mode for those who haven't seen the movie)

#1 -- Several BIG 'plot holes' in the film. To me, the biggest one occurs in the first fifteen minutes concerning the crown Fluttershy found and turned in at the office. IF this crown was SO important to Sunset Shimmer, why didn't she just storm into Celestia's office and claim the crown was hers? For that matter, why didn't Twi tell Celestia the truth that the lost crown was really hers? I know the crown was essential to the central plot of the movie, but to me, it would've made more sense for both SS and Twi to have rushed into the office and claim it. Then Celestia could've asked for proof (which neither lady has) and still go on with the story of rewarding it to the winner of the vote at the Formal. Would've been a bit more believable that way.

#2 -- For all this taking place at a school, there was very little (if any) classroom scenes in the entire film. Are the writers trying to say that the ONLY activity that takes place in human schools is social posturing?

#3 -- If this is Canterlot High School, what are Sweetie Belle, AppleBloom and Scootaloo doing there? I know where I live, in West Virginia, there are a handful of small schools that have grades K thru 12 in them, but Canterlot High seems to be a LOT bigger than that. Sure it was cute to see them there, but honestly, that part just didn't fit so well.

#4 -- How could a 'transfer' student who was only at the school for a few days become SO popular in three days to basically win an election of any kind? Ok, perhaps the Magic of Friendship has a lot to do with this, but this point was just not believable to me. I know it's a BIG part of the movie plot, but it was just a real 'reach' for my to accept this.

#5 -- Sunset Shimmer wrecks the school and Twi and her pals leave a HUGE crater in front of it and NO principal/teacher even thinks to call either the police or their PARENTS? Really? Does that seem plausable?

#6 -- In the last scene, Celestia and the Mane 5 seem very accepting of Twi being from an alternate universe and aren't all that sad to see her go. That just seems amiss to me.

#7 -- I really did NOT like the way Snips and Snails were cast in this film. Snips and Snails aren't really 'evil' or 'bad' guys, I consider them a safe-for-work pony version of Beavis and Butthead. I can't see them wrecking the gym on purpose. In 'Boast Busters', they did bring the Ursa Minor to Ponyville, but that really was more an act of stupidity than revenge or meanness.

As I said before, overall, though I was disappointed with the film, I admit to have enjoyed viewing it. This is a HUGE change of mind for me about this film, so I at least came THIS far, ok?

Wow, good move on those review, yeah, I wasn't all that analytical like I used to. But overall, things does get a little bit weirder when

the CMCs are in the school and their rock concert failure back in the pony world.

Music wise, at least I find the one in the canteen is great, much better than those from the live action equivalent High School Musical. Dress designs are pretty much good to me, love them all in their usual everyday casual clothes, although it seems a little unbalanced, as much as I love girls with skirts, RD & Scootaloo normally aren't into skirts that much, Applejack is another though.

All in all, I wouldn't mind watching it again, but preferably when the DVD or Hub channel releases it.

here is a really good synopsis pollo sent me

[colour=#282828]Basically, Twilight goes to the crystal empire to go do princess stuff. She shows no enthusiasm and isn't really comfortable with her new wings since she has troubles getting used to them. (like when sleeping and such). She goes to sleep and sunset shimmers steals the crown and they have a little fight resulting in the crown falling through the ill-protected magic mirror that leads to high school land (seriously, it felt like a nightmare before christmas when jack goes to christmas land). Celestia gives her the task to go get it back and says she has to be back in three days or else she'll be stuck in human land for 30 moons. That and her friends cant come because it can cause a problem in universes and alter everything, potentially destroying the space-time continuum .[/colour]

[colour=#282828]This doesn't stop spike from following, despite the unsettling turn of events. Upon reaching HSland, twilight has her whole little finding out she's not a pony anymore moment, which leads to some funny moments. She decides to explore the "castle" in front of her and enters high school. Oddly enough, they just accept her as another student. She meets fluttershy being bullied by sunset shimmers and they remeet, literally, the exact same way as they did in pony version (and I mean word for word) Fluttershy had found the crown, which is why she was being bullied and said she turned it in to the principle. Twilight goes to the office and meets principle celestia. Even after talking to her about the crown and being told that its being put up for prize for being princess of the dance, twilights just like "ok" and doesn't explain that its hers (opinions on that later). Twilight is told to meet up with the dance organizer, pinkie, and from her, meets applejack and goes on her merry way. Walking through the hallways and not used to her enviroment, she stumbles and meets flash sentry. His introduction is met with blushes from twilight and groans from the audience. After this encounter, she finds sunset shimmer in a dark area of the hallway and is threatened to back off from becoming princess of the formal. Then there are just character building scenes. Twilight eating lunch with fluttershy and learning more about how the school is divided by social groups and how sunset shimmer always runs unopposed. That night, twilight sleeps in the library and finds out the next day that bulk and skull, I mean, snips and snails, had been recording her embarrassing actions trying to be human and that the video had been posted on a youtube-like site. She is laughed at, but the other four ponies (-RD) are there to comfort her and tell her they will help her. Its here twilight realizes that in some way, sunset shimmer had been sending texts and e-mails that successfully separated the mane 5 (-Twilight) from being friends before twilight got there. Pinkie pie was made to seem unserious to flutter shy and fluttershy seemed mean to pinkie. RD was seen as not keeping her word to applejack and applejack was seemed as a liar to the rest of them. Twilight gets the group back together and gets applejack to make up with RD. RD admits that she was given the wrong date and hadn't shown up to some sports catering event that applejack was putting on, and the group accept that it was most likely sunset shimmer who had done this. They work together to organize a way to make twilight popular, we get more googly eyes from FS, and they give a little musical number that instantly puts twilight in a favorable position. Sunset shimmer isn't happy about this and sabotages the formal by sending snips and snails to destroy it and then crops photos to make it seem like twilight did it. Faster than you can say "innocent", FS comes in and for some strange reason, so happened to have the cropped original and proves twilight didn't do it. Twilight is allowed to keep running for princess and the group gets ready for the formal. They get there, they dance, they have a good time, and twilight is announced winner. S&S take spike, SS threatens to break the mirror, doesn't, little scuffle for the crown happens, she puts it on and becomes a demon-lady who also turns S&S into demon people and the whole school into zombies. Before blasting the mane 6 to smithereens, the magic of friendship forms a barrier and they all grow ears, longer hair to resemble tails, and wings for those who had wings (ooook?) and blast sunset shimmer into a 12 foot crater. She reverts back to human form, apologizes, and twilight tells her that the mane 5 will look after her. FS awkwardly asks for a dance and the party goes on and everyone lives happily ever after.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]OR DO THEY?[/colour]

[colour=#282828]yeah, no, they do. Twilight has to return and crosses the portal (literally 3 seconds before it closes) pops back and everything is back to normal. The ponies ask her about and twilight, tired, responds that it'll have to wait. Everything is back to the way it should be.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]OR IS IT?[/colour]

[colour=#282828]yes....and no. She bumps into flash sentry's pony counterpart and has a little blush moment that prompts the others to ask who the new guy is and how she knows him and pinkie accurately states everything that happened relating to flash sentry on a hunch. Twilight smiles and says she is feeling more confident in the future to come (or something like that. I forget. I suck at remembering dialogue)[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Credits roll and at the end we get a human derpy dancing to the song with a muffin. This results in the biggest cheers from the audience and the screen goes black.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]THE END![/colour]

[colour=#282828]

[/colour]

I would totally love to read it, and I'm sure it's also going to feature her needing Flash Sentry back. On Twilight's side, she wants to take interest on his pony form but in secret away from her pony friends. :)

@gypsytambourine I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "This is fan fic" xD

Good to know next time I go through fimfiction I could be reading the next movie :razz:

And I predict there will be fan fictions for this including featuring Sunset's newly adjusted life.

And I wouldn't be surprised if there are a dozen of these up already. It has been more than a whole week, after all.

Good to know next time I go through fimfiction I could be reading the next movie :razz:

And I would totally love to see how Flash Sentry's double life do with the 2 girls in their 2 respective universes. :)

Anyway, yes, it's only a matter of time till this one gets introduced and the website gets slightly upgraded to accommodate the Equestria Girls universe.

Nope, sorry, not a fiction writer. :( Even if I do, I fear of people's criticisms.

Ok then. now I'm on a mission to find someone to write this

And I would totally love to see how Flash Sentry's double life do with the 2 girls in their 2 respective universes. :)

Anyway, yes, it's only a matter of time till this one gets introduced and the website gets slightly upgraded to accommodate the Equestria Girls universe.

since I can't write stories to save my life.

I didn't expect a good movie. I really didn't. I expected a laughably bad movie. But no, it was a lot of fun. Overall, a 9/10.

... Also, just clarifying, the reason the crown couldn't be requested from Twilight or Sunset Shimmer was because the crown was an exact replica of the crown used in the school princess competition. The crown Sunset Shimmer swapped with Twilight's was the original from the school. This is why Celestia expresses confusion in having it found in the courtyard.

Now, why Sunset couldn't just steal it again is beyond me, but there ya go. Widespread "plothole" somewhat resolved.

I just saw it. I loved it! Sure, it had it's problems and plot holes, but on the whole I thought it was very well done and entertaining. The jokes, the "look it's that character!" moments (Diamond Tiara and Lyra and Derpy were there! That's all I care about!)

Oh but I gotta say:

An "army of teenagers" Sunset? Really?

Also, how does Dash not know what hands are? Spike has them. Iron Will has them. There must be other creatures with them.

I just saw it. I loved it! Sure, it had it's problems and plot holes, but on the whole I thought it was very well done and entertaining. The jokes, the "look it's that character!" moments (Diamond Tiara and Lyra and Derpy were there! That's all I care about!)

Oh but I gotta say:

Also, how does Dash not know what hands are? Spike has them. Iron Will has them. There must be other creatures with them.

Lyra & Derpy? Please show me! :D

Oh but I gotta say:

Diego Havoc here is the answer to you spoiler question

Not just dash doesn't know what hands are no one but Twilight know. As for Spike he has claws not hands from from I've seen/remember all the creatures have either hooves, claws, or paws.

Lyra & Derpy? Please show me! :D

Sure!

Lyra on the left:

EqG2.png

Derpy in the bottom right:

EqG6.png

Diego Havoc here is the answer to you spoiler question

Not just dash doesn't know what hands are no one but Twilight know. As for Spike he has claws not hands from from I've seen/remember all the creatures have either hooves, claws, or paws.

Actually

1. A claw is not a replacement for a hand. A claw is what a creature has instead of a fingernail. Spike's claws are on the ends of his fingers, which are attached to his hands.

2. Iron Will has hands, so most ponies should know about them.