Equestrian Girls

lunatastic

OK, I can't convince you of the other ones. Though I still consider them to be major lapses in logic and thus plotholes (OK the email text thing was admittedly a stretch)

However... Let's dance with the Sunset Shimmer knowledge, because that is the biggest plothole.

Here is what we know from the show:

• The EoH disappeared for 1000 years, no one knew the status of them or what they would look like when they reactivated again (since they match the CM's)
  • Twilight became Celestia's pupil when just a filly
  • Twilight didn't reactivate the EoH until she was a full grown mare and sent to Ponyville for the summer sun celebration
  • The elements, when not in use, were held either 1) in a vault that only Celestia (and presumably Twilight post Discord, other than Discord himself of course) can open or 2) in Ponyville with Twilight and Co. and the portal by that point was in the Crystal empire, too far to logically make the trip unnoticed

Here is what we know from the movie:

• Sunset Shimmer became Celestia's Pupil BEFORE Twilight
  • Sunset Shimmer left her tutelage BEFORE Twilight became Celestia's pupil ("after I left, it is pathetic that you were all she could find to replace me" or something along those lines) -- Ergo she already left to the other world by that point, and was thus a filly at the time (and thus couldn't know what the EoH looked like to even make the switch)
  • Celestia suggested also that she NEVER came back through either to seek help. (And before you suggest that she could have left when she was a mare, Celestia said she left to find her own path after she left her tutelage and had hoped that she would one day come back to her for guidance, suggesting that she used the portal as a filly and didn't return at any point after that)
  • Sunset Shimmer, Celestia and Luna apparently knew that the EoH held great power in alternate universe, they outright told Twilight this, hence making her mission to get it back all the mroe pressing. However it is unknown if Celestia told Sunset Shimmer (this is possible) -- though, given what we know from the show... HOW WOULD ANY OF THEM KNOW? The EoH were lost for 1000 years!

So... Yeah... her knowledge... HUGE plot hole when you consider everything. There is just simply no way she could know everything like she did.

I was finally able to sit down and watch this, and really I would have to say it was absolutely delightful. Better than I was expecting. ;)

It was colourful, well animated, fun, funny and had the right heart to it. The characters stuck closely to their core and it was just enjoyable to watch. The plot might have been a little simple, but it was nevertheless effective. The character designs which were initially a somewhat hard sell on me actually aren't bad when you get used to them. The climax was quite cool and satisfying beyond what I might have expected and I even thought the romantic plot, which I had expected to hate, was quite well handled all things considered. Lots of fun cameos and references to the show too. In short, almost everything I had hoped for.

The songs were the one area where it maybe let me down just a little. I had gone in having read what Daniel Ingram had said and expecting awesome, MMC calibre songs, but really only one of them stood out for me. That one, the central musical number of the film, "Equestria Girls", was an exceptional song and sequence that stands with the most memorable and catchy songs to come out of FIM. The rest of the songs though... for me at least, they mostly just seemed like boilerplate pop tunes perfect to set montages to. I can't see myself finding much need to have repeat listens of any of them. The one great song aside, I gotta say I'm more a fan of the more theatrical songs featured in the episodes. Still, the songs weren't exactly unsuccessful in setting the mood and I'd call none of them terrible. I just expected slightly more, I guess.

That said, not sure what else to say. Maybe some things in the story get resolved a little easily, and perhaps there are holes in some of it when you put it under a microscope. For me, I was smiling almost the whole time, and as such I can't really say much bad about it. For me, it was a rewarding watch. :)

I would take a wild guess and say the person who used the elements for an extended time and then taught a person could be the result of that person knowing about the elements and their powers.

Did I mention that Sunset Shimmer was only in Celestia's tutelage for a short time?

Even assuming that Celestia taught her, which is a big assumption considering that she never actually taught Twilight about the Elements but rather allowed her to learn about them herself (And Sunset Shimmer even suggests when she is telling Twilight about the EoH that Celestia never taught her but she figured it out for herself, as a means to show Twilight how much more brilliant and a better student she was than Twilight), it doesn't explain anything else in regards to her knowledge. Because again, the elements match the cutie marks of the wielders.