The Earth Pony Way (Closed: Applejack)

SteelEagle

Twilight Sparkle was a Princess of boundless potential, a ball of magic and friendship that was ever expanding and growing, evolving in ways that her parents could never have guessed. Her name was known from Hoofington to Stalliongrad, from the Soggalong Swamp to Tartarus and beyond. She could recite facts from almost every subject imaginable and was slowly but surely mastering flight. She was just as easily starting to learn the ropes of diplomacy and court etiquette, which were subjects that she could do without. Twilight Sparkle was starting to become the pony she was always meant to be- a leader of nearly unparalleled ability and character, and perhaps everypony thought she would reach perfection sooner rather than later. Everypony other than Twilight, of course. She knew instinctively that perfection was unattainable. More importantly, to even discuss the newest Princess of Equestria becoming the best she could be, she'd need to fully understand what it meant to be an Alicorn. To be a Unicorn. To be a Pegasus.

To be an Earth Pony.

More enigmatic than the other two, their innate magic by nature indescribably subtle. Unicorns were easy, and she wasn't that because of familiarity! You saw their magic in action, saw their horns, easy to spot. Pegasi- well, they flew and you felt their effects on the weather and a quick look to the sky would reveal them as well. Equestrian was two-thirds unintentional showboating, Earth Ponies the exception. Even her books were stunted and vague on the subject, yammering aimlessly about pure hearts and connections with nature that simply didn't exist for some Earth Ponies. What was it about them that was magical, as according to everypony who had ever studied anything about them they were magical? What was it? What was it? What in the name of Celestia was it!

Uggghhh!

It was enough to drive a young Princess mad. And to a certain extent, it had. Once she had decided to make Earth Pony magic the subject of her next study so she could eventually learn the Earth Pony way like she was the Pegasi way, problems arose at every turn. Source material was hard to come by, even harder when you started looking for material that was actually competent. Meditation and introspection to find the answers within were equally worthless to her and answers eluded her at every turn. Vagueness upon vagueness, a mountain of misfired research and wasted effort weighed her down but she would not be deterred. No! She would figure it out. She had accomplished much greater feats than simply realizing what it was that made Earth Ponies magical, and who else in Equestria could other than she? Twilight was the Element of Magic for Celestia's sake, and an Alicorn to boot. She had to. She had to solve the riddle of the Earth ponies for herself. For Equestria! For students everywhere who would no longer have to deal with such sub par material.

Several days, then a full week, passed and she was no closer to a solution. Early in the morning she once more perused her library and found nothing that she hadn't already mined for information. The time had come to a new level of learning- she'd have to go and find am Earth Pony sto study. She would have preferred to go in armed with information and a theory and see if the evidence fit or if she was barking up the wrong tree, but it was what it was. She would have to go in blind and learn the Earth Pony way so she could become a better Alicorn, a better Princess, a better ruler, a better Twilight. Failing that she could just go a teensy bit mad as she wasn't at all prepared for her studying to come up fruitless. At least this time there wasn't going to be a ticking clock. Probably. Hopefully.

She left a few hours into the day, determined to find her prize. There were many earth Ponies in ponyville, perhaps even more than the other two species. Her options were nearly limitless before she started really thinking about it. She needed somepony who she could follow for hours, who would be okay with it and not just because she had Royal Authority. She needed to ensure that whatever she was watching had to do with a pony's own work, and not something that she saw everypony else doing. That would come later. She went down the list of things that had to fall in line on a personal and professional level, and by the course of her thinking found herself gaining steam towards Sweet Apple Acres. She would observe and study Applejack, get some information from Ponyville's most dependable pony! Her trot turned into a gallop- if she was going to learn the Earth Pony way, she wasn't going to get off to a bad start by flying- and before long she had arrived.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

banner_applejack_zpscd51b6b0.png

[colour=#000000]Applejack was doing her circles around the front of the orchard. Post-buckin' from the day before, so she was busy throwing each of the baskets of apples she made yesterday buc[/colour]k[colour=#000000]in' into the cart she was pulling behind her. She would unharness herself, pick a few from the area up, re-strap the harness, pull forward, and repeat the process. She had just started a fresh wagon when twilight quickly walked up to the orange earth pony. Applejack bowed. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "Hello, Princess Twi! Er, I mean Twilight."[/colour][colour=#000000] She rose up. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "What's shakin'?" [/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack looked hardly at twilight, remember the wings that used to never be there. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"So those wings, still getting used to them?"[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack walked up and touched the wings curiously. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"What does it feel like to just, all the sudden wings? Do you feel like an insect?" [/colour][colour=#000000]Applejack smirked, mostly joking, but gauging every response for a chance to get to know her newer version of one of her best friends.[/colour]

Applejack.pngMadden.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Applejack was doing the job that defined her as plainly as her way of speech, and it seemed as though she was molded to her role as uniquely as a tool was made for any job. Perhaps that was one of the Earth Pony secrets, connected to the cutie mark. Maybe even though a cutie mark had to be discovered the same way as by any other pony, it held a greater influence over the specifics of an Earth Pony's physiology? Pinkie Pie could eat endless sweets and never seemingly changed, and her role as the eternal party was secure. Applejack had the perfect form for her work, and a mind devoted to. A hypothesis: Earth Ponies were by birth more suited for what their cutie mark would bring forth. Was it true? Well, Twilight wasn't sure the answers would be found in this humble farm, but even Starswirl's Theorem had a beginning.

All those thoughts raced through her mind as Applejack noticed Twilight and then bowed. It was a little hard to see your best friend, the first pony to open her arms to you and treat you like you were family, treating you so differently and openly calling you by a more official title before pulling back the reins a little. Then she inquired about the wings, which elicited a giggle from Twilight as she opened them a little- then closed them sharply when Applejack asked her if she felt like an insect.

[colour=#4b0082]"Of course I don't feel like a insect, Applejack! I feel like a Pegasus..is that what you think about Pegasi?!"[/colour] She asked, momentarily stunned before once more deciding to throw a bit in the bucket of her trust and believe that it was a joke. She smiled, and gave a small, nervous laugh.

[colour=#4b0082]"Well, they're...interesting, to say the least. I haven't really had time to experiment with them, but they seem more graceful that powerful. I won't be winning any races against Rainbow Dash anytime soon, that's for certain. But i didn't come here to talk about my wings. I came here to ask you for a big favour..."[/colour] She let a pregnant pause hang between the two before continuing.

[colour=#4b0082]"I didn't just gain wings. As an alicorn, I gained the traits of an Earth Pony as well, but to be frank, I don't understand what it means to be an Earth Pony. You're the most dependable and most Earthy of all the Earth Ponies, so I was wondering if it would be alright if I followed you around for the day. asked you some questions, ran a few experiments, and learned from you? If you don't mind being trailed by an insect, that is."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack faked a smiled and then exhaled at the relief of Twilight not really being offended. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Of course not, Twilight. But if I had wings all the sudden, I wouldn't know what to do with 'em."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack peered at Twilight during her explanation of her business for today. Applejack wasn't really sure if Twilight would be able to learn anything or find anything interesting about earth ponies, but being the geek that she is, Applejack wasn't all that surprised that she would take such initiative. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Oh, ok. I'm not sure what you're gonna find out, but I guess I can just start by showing you want I'm doin' today." [/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack used her nose to lift up a heavy basket full of apples up onto her back. She then carefully trotted towards the cart and slid the basket onto the cart pushing it to the back.

Applejack liked Twilight's personality. She was always willing to learn new things, and her studies, though they may not be as physical as the duties Applejack had on the farm, were still very diligent. A good amount of hard work in any way is something Applejack can relate to and respect. However, she did use the "E" word. The word Applejack knew turned Twilight from a book worm to a quasi-mad scientist. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Um, just one question, Princess. What kinna 'speriments are we talkin'?"[/colour]

Applejack.pngMadden.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Twilight sighed, happy to see that she didn't have to go through an ordeal trying to convince Applejack of the complete righteousness of the cause and why, just this once, Applejack had to be the rat in the maze. But that was inaccurate- it was Twilight who was in the maze, lost and confused and looking for any scraps given to her by Applejack who herself seemed to have a slight trollish tint about her. What was up with her- nerves? Was it Twilight making Applejack nervous and her responding with that lowkey sense of humor she reserved for those rare times? Twilight could understand if it was anypony else but Applejack was one of the most down to earth ponies she knew- pardon the internal pun. She didn't want to think she was making her best friend nervous, but other possibilities were worst. Best to let sleeping Winonas lie.

As she pondered this, Applejack went about her duties and Twilight started to levitate a quill and scroll but found herself stalled by a suddenly nervous Applejack. And she kept on calling her Princess. Twilight's ears lowered and were straight against her head as she sighed.

[colour=#4b0082]"Stop calling me Princess, Applejack. I can understand why strangers would call me that, but you're my friend. Please call me by my name. And you don't have to worry about the experiments. I'm not going to hook you up to the machines in my basement or take samples of your blood and hair unless I think it's pertient. Today is mostly observational and conversational. Don't worry Applejack, I'm not going to cut off your tail!"[/colour] Probably, she forgot to add as she giggled and levitated the quill and scroll in front of her.

[colour=#4b0082]"Just relax, Applejack. Pretend it's just a normal day at Sweet Apple Acres, except your best friend is tracking your every move."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack gushed a giggle at the response of Twilight, assuming everything she was saying had to be jokes about her own insanity and over-analyzing of things. Surely, her friend wasn't going to come here to hurt her, and Applejack knew this. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Well, OK. Should ah just pretend you aren't here then?"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack went over to another basket of apples, the last of them around this tree, scooped it up on her haunches, and transported over to her cart. It really was just another day for Applejack. Same apple trees, same cart, even the same weather. But she wasn't bored. She enjoyed it. Her routine was her joy. And like many other traditional things that Applejack endorsed herself with, she always paid reverence to those who deserved it. Which meant she always paid her respect to the royalty that existed in Equestria. She had to. Without the power and leadership of someone like Princess Celestia, Applejack wouldn't be where she is today. Nor would her family have any place in Ponyville, assuming that a Ponyville could ever exist without the same political power that Princess Celesta held. Applejack respected the princesses always, with only a minor hiccup when meeting Princess Luna last Nightmare Night. She did it out of her traditional nature. And it was hard for her to change that habit.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack walked towards the front of the cart, harnessed herself to it, and pulled it to the next location, taking easy steps so Twilight could follow along side. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"So Pri-, I mean, Twilight. What kinds of things do ya wanna know?"[/colour]

Twilight gave a soft chuckle and nodded, believing herself to play the part of an invisible researcher on the hunt for a rare animal. Though in this case she wasn't studying an animal, but her friend. Well, she was an animal. So was Twilight. But she meant like a cockatrice, but then again Applejack wasn't like that at all. The analogy collapsed immediately and Twilight settled on the infinitely creepier but more factually accurate idea that she was just watching and observing every nuance of her best friend Applejack. Yes, all in all, it was creepy to think. Oh well- on to the task at hoof, as she followed Applejack on her daily routine.

And under most circumstances she may have considered it a bit dull, but today was different. Today was special. For the first time, Twilight was going to actually give some real thought to why Applejack was Applejack, what made an Earth pony an Earth pony. The things Applejack weren't by themselves all that intimidating. In fact, the majority of them seemed simple. But she also knew that when they were done by anypony other than her, the job was invariably done worse.

And nopony was as consistent in things both big and small. Even now, the way she went about her work was mechanically perfect while not showing off the coldness that normally accompanied such a comparison. She was loving her job, that quick bounce in her step as she did every little task flawlessly engrossingly optimistic. But for all of the wonderful little notes she was taking about how Applejack's muscles were responding to repetition of tasks, the seeming joy she was getting from her work, the way her coat seemed to remain unsullied by sweat or the result of any exertion, none of them were really all that helpful. To an extent, Twi was frustrated.

Then Applejack gave her an opening, which startled Twilight a little.

[colour=#4b0082]"Oh?...Oh! Yes, I had a few, actually,"[/colour] she levitated a quill towards Applejack and a new one for herself as she brought out more scrolls, [colour=#4b0082]"in the interest of science. I know how you discovered your cutie mark and that you were one of the last, but how old were you exactly? When you are doing tasks related to your cutie mark, how do you feel? What do you feel is the Earth Pony Way?"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack walked slowly towards her next destination, not giving any leg ahead of her alicorn friend. Twilight seemed to be studying the way Applejack was moving. When Applejack would look at Twilight, she would just see a normal stare and smile. But when she turned to continue, she could hear the sounds of scribbling and rolling of paper behind her. And when Applejack would look back, Twilight would stop writing and maintain the same smile.

At first it was no big deal. But as a few moments passed, Applejack started feeling strange about the whole thing. She saw a spare apple on the ground and when she started reaching for it, she heard a lot of scribbling. So she stopped before reaching the apple, but then she heard nothing. Grabbing the apple with her mouth, the scribbling continued. Applejack paused, and the quill remained silent. Applejack made a sudden movement to the left, and Twilight could be heard writing something down just as sudden. Finally, Applejack gave up on the measurements of sound and threw the apple behind her into one of the baskets in the cart. She asked what questions there would be.

As Twilight happily sounded off the questions one by one, they all seemed normal until the last one. And the strange sounding nature of the last question caused her to almost forget the first two. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Well, uh, I was the last one of all my age group to get mah cutie mark. It was one of the reasons why I had visited Manehatten in the first place. I didn't want to spend a whole summer wasting time not getting mah cutie mark. Fortunately I was able to get it before going back to school in the fall. And how does it make me feel?"[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack tapped her hoof to her chin. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"I dunno, good I guess. I imagine the same as it does for every other pony doing their own talents. Unicorns and pegasus ponies, even. But,"[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack's perplexed look shriveled her face in lack of knowledge. She repeated the question. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"'What is the earth pony way?' I... Ah don't even know what that means."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack shrugged forward a little towards Twilight in answering. She was afraid the answer would disappoint her feathered friend. She knew how much Twilight loved to learn, and an 'I don't know' answer was sure to stall the educational flow.[/colour]

Twilight eagerly wrote down her answers, even if they were a bit blase. She didn't really expect much more from Applejack, if the truth was to come out. She was a mare of straightforward style, which was one of the more agreeable things about her. Many of her friends didn't think twice of trying to give her something where there was nothing at times, an attempt to help the new Princess with whatever task she had assigned herself that in many ways undid her efforts. She didn't always need some sort of useful content to go on. Honesty in all things was what Applejack was about, and honesty in all things even if it meant she had far less to go on was what she needed right about then. She wrote it all down along with a few notes, still smiling despite Applejack's confusion and the lack of new information. When she was done, the alicorn levitated the materials away.

[colour=#4b0082]"The Earth Pony Way...well, to be honest, I couldn't even tell you what it was. Or even what the phrase means! But it's important, and not just to me- but to ponies and Equestria,"[/colour] She said confidently, walking past Applejack and taking in the vast expanse of Sweet Apple Acres. It stretched seemingly beyond the ends of the horizon, Celestia's sun the only thing with a greater pull towards the eye. Within the seeming chaos inherent was a sense of organization that maybe only Twilight could grasp, in conjunction with the Apples- or maybe not. Maybe it was a subconscious move of theirs, but she doubted it. They were a family entirely given to their lifestyle, and their lifestyle had hence given them everything in return. No doubt that they would care for it every aspect. And just as they cared about their orchard so tenderly, so did Twilight about the seeming disrespect that the Earth ponies were given in some circles.

[colour=#4b0082]"Earth ponies don't get the respect they deserve in some places,"[/colour] Twilight started, turning back to Applejack, [colour=#4b0082]"and not for any really nasty reason, mind you. But unicorns have horns and can use magic. Very obvious signs that make them special, indisputably so. Pegasi have wings and rule the skies above us, flying around Equestria. Yet again, obvious. You can document this, track it, understand it," [/colour]She finished with a nod, flapping her wings with a little bit of joy and trotting past Applejack and completing a circle around the farmer. Flying was indeed pretty darn fun, but then she brought the wings back harshly to her.

[colour=#4b0082]"Earth ponies? Nothing that can be identified. Is it a connection with nature or the soil beneath us? No. Not as a species wide thing- pegasi and unicorns can do much of the same, and many earth ponies are incapable of being more than average. Every pegasi can be taught to fly, most are inborn. Every unicorn can use magic, most are inborn. What is it that makes an Earth pony special? Some say nothing,"[/colour] She nearly spat that out, before turning to Applejack with a slight hint of desperation.

[colour=#4b0082]"But that cannot be true, Applejack. Each species is just as important and special as the last. No more, no less! But my books, Celestia, nothing can tell me what that is. They all have theories- honest hearts, connection to nature, you name it, I've heard it. But nopony agrees, and worst of all, none of it is quantifiable! You cannot understand who you are without the numbers. You cannot understand the numbers without the metrics. You cannot understand the metrics without a system. You cannot understand the system without an idea, and the idea needs a theory to start with. And you can't have a theory without base understanding. I am now one-third Earth pony. but what does that mean?"[/colour] She finished, trotting directly in front of Applejack and placing a hoof on Applejack's shoulders.

[colour=#4b0082]"I can't understand me without understanding you. Will you help me understand?"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]As Twilight started explaining what the question could mean, it was apparent immediately to Applejack that this was a loaded question. A wondering of an entire race of ponies, either on the inside, or by nature. To Applejack, it wasn't like her to question her existence, nor did it make her comfortable to be measured up against the other types of ponies. But Twilight had a point and the genius alicorn was trying to get to the bottom of what seems to be a mystery to everyone, including the royal highnesses that ruled the Equestrian lands.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]As Twilight listed off her understandings of other ponies, Applejack had to sit down and take it in. It was a lot for her. Applejack was much more a hooves-on mare, and lectures didn't really feed her well. But she did listen. And when Twilight fell the words of that some say there is nothing special about earth ponies, Applejack's face turned angry at the idea. The idea she knew at times when she was being scrutinized as a filly. And throughout Applejack's history, she was always butting heads with a pony of a different race, constantly trying to prove herself against them. Never did she realize that it was about her being an earth pony. She never considered the fact that a pony might be [/colour]better[colour=#000000] than her just because she didn't have any extra extremities And though she is a friend, Applejack felt that, for a moment, she might not be able to look at her competitive rivalry with Rainbow Dash the same way again.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Twilight restated the question in the form of a end-of-lecture point. Applejack was amazed and how powerful the princess' words were and how easily she seemed to pull Applejack up from underneath the logical roots that tied her down. This was about history of a race. It was about where they had been as earth ponies, even up to now, and where they will be going tomorrow. This was about every earth pony that lived right now and their justification for existing. This was about the life of one third of Celestia's kingdom. And it was up to Applejack to help Twilight figure it out.[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Of course I'll help you figure it out."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack gave a professional smirk as she tilted her hat down. She meant business when she titled her hat like this, and it didn't seem odd to her that she was doing it informally in front of a princess, for once. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"But ah still don't know where to start. We all know accordin' ta Hearth's Warming Eve that earth ponies were the ones who planted the food. And we also know that according to the same legend, earth ponies possessed a piece of the magic that helped Equestrian's settlers overcome their differences. But all that is changed now, and we sing the carols about friendship."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack side-hugged Twilight and gestured a warm smile. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Which is important. But now we have pegasus and unicorns doing the same professions that earth ponies have." [/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack fell to a puzzled looked. She didn't know what to think. But she was ready for trial and error.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack thought about things that she had in common with her friends. Pinkie Pie shared the earth pony brand with her, so she thought if she could find similarities, that it might help her understand exactly what that meant. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "Both me and Pinkie are better at baking then the rest of you guys."[/colour][colour=#000000] You guys, meaning the circle of six friends. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "But it can't be limited to hoof labor, because both Rarity and Fluttershy could stitch me up a new dress in the same time it takes me to sew together a stockin' with poor quality. Fluttershy isn't nearly as air-headed as Rainbow Dash." [/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack chuckled. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "But Fluttershy is sorta grounded, both in her lifestyle and her perspective, so its hard to call that an earth pony trait. And honestly, Twi, I always felt I had most in common with you than anypony. But you were a unicorn and now that you're full blown alicorn, I don't know what that says about me."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack was stumped. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"What do you think Twilight. What other questions ya got fer me? Is there something I should try to do. Is there," [/colour][colour=#000000]Applejack slowly spoke, reluctantly, afraid of what this would mean, [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"any test I should be takin'?"[/colour]

Twilight wasn't taken aback at all by Applejack's reaction to her earnest, burning question. Of all the ponies in Equestria, in the world, she considered herself blessed to count Ponyville's most reliable amongst her close circle of friends. They were all amazing, remarkable friends and ponies all, but the majority of them realized how unique they were. They realized that they were just as good as they were told they were and that they were special and without any prodding could tell you why. Applejack was not this way however. She was as humble as she was honest, as unwilling to afford herself great traits that she so honorably held within her and were the cornerstones of how others would describe her, understand her, think of her, and believe in her. Maybe that was why of all ponies Twilight knew the answer would come from her, from the pony with a steel spine and honest heart who would neither try to claim any special traits nor deny Twilight the honest truth in any scenario. It was as much as she could ask for with a partner- it was as much as she could hope for with a friend.

She understood, even if she could not fully come to terms with it, the severity of the question and the groundbreaking nature of it's answer. It was a question that struck at the very roots of identity, cultural or personal. As friends and enemies, strangers and family, from the high towers of Canterlot to the hard-scrabbled adventurers of the desert. Who they were, what they were, a question so basic yet universally misunderstood. The answer was ever elusive and yet played a role in every aspect of greater ponydom. History, society, government, economy, culture and beliefs were all predicated on a base understanding of identity on a personal and societal scale. A society built on the strengths and weaknesses of three species that had a common bond, each supposedly unique and gifted. Maybe the ponies of yesteryear understood it better. Perhaps some great learning long ago unlocked the secret. But time turns all save ideas to dust, and history can easily become legend and legend myth with but the barest effort. Now the answer was shrouded in either half truths or misunderstandings, misty solutions floating in a void that most of Ponykind was willing to keep away from in favour of their comforting myths. The void where an answer should be was anathema to Twilight's very being, spears and arrows in her sides and twisted in the worst way.

So Applejack, sensing Twilight's sincerity in her truth seeking and perhaps seeking to soothe the mare's bubbling psyche, was being as helpful as she could. She recounted what she could about the ancient myths, which were a fair enough starting point even if she also acknowledged what they lacked. Once the ancient ponies had allowed their misconceptions and compartmentalization of roles to fade they had discovered that many roles Earth ponies played could be played by the other species as well should they seek to do it. Of course, earth ponies were still the majority of farmers and other like laborers, but there was a general understanding that this was due more to the structure of society and the use of special in-born species traits that the other possessed more than it was a real possibility of earth ponies being especially attuned. Of course that didn't mean it wasn't considered as part of a bigger picture, but for now she had her mind centered on other facts and theories. Applejack had some good insight into the internal rhythms of her friends, which honestly did not surprise Twilight. Mares with their heads on straight were the mares often with the clearest picture of what was happening...even if Twi had to suppress a cheshire smile at Applejack believing they were much alike.

It was true in more ways than maybe she would know. Each were focused and committed to tasks that benefited Equestria as a whole, and knew a certain degree of loyalty to either friend or kin that the others, while intensely loyal and supporting in their own ways, could not match. Not only that but for all of Applejack's protests to the contrary, they were obsessive in their own ways. Twilight with science and magic and facts and figures, learning and teaching alike. Applejack knew what an honest day's work was and knew everything there was to know about farming and the attuned nature of Equestria's effects on produce. Two sides of, well, different coins, but similar strokes for different polks nonetheless. Twilight chuckled and extended her wing over her friend and pulled her in with unnatural wing strength for a tight embrace before releasing her and trotting ahead.

[colour=#4b0082]"I have always thought the same, Applejack. You and I do share a certain similarity and mindset that is rare, especially in a town that is so wonderfully laid back. You and Pinkie are definitely the best bakers in town, but I think that is just you two having certain talents in that field, as you said before. I think in most cases you hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head. What we used to think separated us, the barriers of legend, have since been torn down. Now what remains is a question with an uncertain answer. Luckily for me, I have you!"[/colour] She turned back to her friend with a somewhat mad expression etched on her features, [colour=#4b0082]"and you are the perfect pony for it! I have all sorts of things planned. First I want to observe you for a while. While you work, eat, play, sleep, everything! Then I'll take you back to the Library, where I have such SIGHTS to show you!"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack felt motivated by the alicorn's love for her friends. The way she talked had become so importantly regal and intelligent and well thought out. It's no wonder she was a princess. In fact, it even made Applejack think. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"You know, Twilight. Now that you mention it, it's almost like because earth ponies, pegasi, and unicorns get along so well, that our roles have become less important. Perhaps if we still had grudges against each other like our ancestors, all the earth ponies would be stuck farming and the unicorns would be stuck controlling the stars again, and the pegasi the weather. Perhaps the fact that all ponies in Equestria have the freedom to have any talent they want no matter what race they are is not a problem, but just a biproduct of the harmony we have."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack surprised herself. She could feel her IQ leveling up, and it was all thanks to Twilight. Applejack never gave herself enough credit about her own intelligence. There we always enough ponies making fun of her country ways for her to feel like she could take on anypony else in a game of trivial pursuit. However, she would never attempt to boast such a trait, and then be made a fool when she was wrong.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack finished her warm hug with Twilight and then strapped herself back to the cart. She trotted towards the next group of trees, and start scooting baskets into the cart. When she saw a stray apple in one of the trees, trees that should have been naked besides their leaves. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Consarnit, Big Mac. Missed another one!" [/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack squared up and smacked the tree with a soft bump with one of her hind legs, and the apple vibrated cleanly of the stem it hung on. Applejack caught it with her hind leg without looking and then tossed it into the apple cart. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"You know, Apple Bloom was trying to get her cutie mark again today. Today she and her friends decided to try ice fishing, but since its so warm out, they took some blocks of ice from our ice chest and threw into the pond." [/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack chuckled and giggled out loud. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"As if, that's going to make the difference."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack sighed happily. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"I don't think I ever remember being as anxious about mah cutie mark as mah lil' sis is. Of course, even if I had, I don't know that I would admit it. But I think its great that she has friends who can share her journey with her. And a unicorn and pegasus at that! It's almost like it was intentional. Apple Bloom sure does get along with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo more than I ever did with mah unicorn and pegasus classmates. Of course, being the last one to get their cutie mark didn't help." [/colour][colour=#000000]Applejack sorted apples into the cart mindlessly as she spoke casually with her princess friend.[/colour][colour=#ff0000] "Did you have any earth pony or pegasus friends when you were little in Canterlot?"[/colour]

There was a kernel of truth to Applejack's words, even if they were slightly off the correct path. Indeed, many of the old roles that ponies had once occupied had slowly fizzled out once they had come together, though under what circumstances that occurred were equally myth as much as theory. But that glossed over a few important things, namely that there were still things only the Pegasi could do, things only the Unicorns could do no matter how the other species tried and hoped and dreamed and finally failed. Still, her idea was sweet- differences still existed. Most ponies didn't care, and those that did care generally cared in a positive light.

[colour=#800080]"Well, the belief that our freedom to be who we want to be has at least in a small way closed the gap between the differences actually has some merit to it. We are now free to be who we want to be, and that is something that ancient ponies were not able to do. However, that doesn't really get to the crux of the issue- pegasi and unicorns are simply capable of doing things that the others cannot. Logically, Earth ponies should but we've been over that a few times,"[/colour] She smiled, following her friend as she went about her job, [colour=#800080]"sometimes logic and science doesn't agree with what feels right until you look for what makes everything tick, because if one thing is true it is that Equestria's rhythm is the hearts of it's ponies. I just need to know how it beats for ponies like you- like me."[/colour]

Twilight had watched Applejack kick out with hind-legs apples and tend to the orchard a thousand times upon a thousand times- a shocking amount of her time in Ponyville had been spent at Sweet Apple Acres. But she had rarely devoted entirelt too much attention to subtle nuances, and never as she had now. Observe: One tree, one apple. Trees that had existed in an orchard for a generation, and apples that over time grew more succulent. The Apples were deeply tied to it, and it was was tied to the Apples. True, the Apples had sometimes gotten some help from others, and on it's surface perhaps it appeared the help was superior to the experienced farm hooves. But it was not the case- Twilight knew for a fact that the trees that had been cleared and the Apples that had been harvested were lesser quality than the ones the Apples had picked. And that made sense- the whole family was one talented apple bucker after another. It came down to the trees- despite generations of kicking out with hind-legs, they were just as strong as they could possibly be. Twilight knew first hoof the power that Applejack had in her kick out with hind-legs, and that wasn't even considering Big Mac who was more or less a trotting muscle. It spoke to not only great strength, but an mind-blowing sense of finese and touch that could only be held by the greatest of apple ponies. If it had been anypony else, the trees would have snapped by now. Twilight's notepad scribbled intensely.

So it was then that Twilight had put a point into the camp that Earth ponies were naturally in-tune with physical tasks, but then Pinkie Pie happened and while it was always possible she was the exception to the rule ala Fluttershy, it wasn't something that wider data would support. But you know what wider data would support? Apple Bloom being a ridicilously silly filly. She had at all times an overriding focus on getting her cutie mark, which Twilight could relate to in at least one fashion: As a filly, Twilight had spent much of her time learning magic. Obsessing over magic, really, at all timesand in all ways. Twilight doubted that Princess Apple Bloom was in the cards, but hopefully the path she trod on now, as crazy as it was, would be the path that would lead her to happiness. And with a family as supportive as the Apples and friends as close as her Crusaders, Twilight was happy to believe that she would find it. But Applejack- she didn't get along as well with her pegasi and unicorn classmates, and Twilight would find out why.

[colour=#800080]"Well, Apple Bloom is a remarkable little filly. She reminds me of myself at that age- so driven towards one goal, as silly as it is to others...and even if her ideas are a bit silly," [/colour]She laughed lightly, imagining the conversation that took place when the ice went missing,[colour=#800080] "though I do have to say it was quick thinking, even if wrong. She's smarter than she think she is, if the books she takes from the library are any indication. Have you ever considered having her tested?"[/colour] Twilight offered up, her mind wandering in the realm of possibilities. Smart fillies needed all the opportunities in the world to thrive, and Twilight was pleased at every chance she had to push ponies towards greater heights. That was her job as a Princess, was it not?

[colour=#800080]"And I have to admit I'm a little surprised that a pony that is so level-headed, respectful, and kind didn't get along all that well with some of her classmates. I would have bet much on the opposite being true, if I was being blunt. As for me..." [/colour]she pondered for a second, conjuring up naught but cowbwebs. A hint of longing entered her voice, tinged with the faintest trace of regret[colour=#800080], "I can't really say that I did. It wasn't discriminatory, mind you. I didn't really have unicorn friends either. I was always so focused in on learning that I never considered that the most important lessons in Equestria existed outside of my books,"[/colour] her voice trailed slightly near the end wistfully as she sighed. Ah, the mistakes of her youth.

[colour=#000000]Applejack tilted her head as she grew confused at all of the social classifications of the pony races, and their roles. It was her own fault. After all, she did bring up that hypothesis. It wasn't that she was clueless to the explanation, but more that she didn't find any clear answer or guess as to how she could comeback to Twilight's ever persistent challenge. Therefore, she kept quiet.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]But as Twilight started talking about Apple Bloom, a light inside Applejack could be seen being turned on, as the earth pony mare started nodding her head in non-verbal communication towards the brightest friend Twilight. And as Twilight sunk low in her talk about being surprised at Applejack being not-so-getting-alongist as she is now and when she spoke down a small bit of her own personal fillihood, Applejack could see this was more common than normal anyway. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "But that's what I mean, Twi. I was a little brash when I was little. You think I am stubborn sometimes now? Boy howdy, you have no idea the kinds of changes I went when I was growing up. I wasn't just stubborn as a mule, I had the personality of one. Even mules in my class thought I was stubborn."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack chuckled at her past, remember all the bad times for the greater contrast of all the good. She would occasionally stretch the truth, but it was truth to her anyways. But some things, were indeed fact. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"And when mum passed away, that's when I did all my growin'. I was never the same pony. I went from being a hard-headed freedom filly to carrying major responsibilities, practically overnight."[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"But let me tell you about Apple Bloom."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack walked over to a new apple tree sapling in the ground, one that had been planted as recently as yesterday. Unfortunately, the feeble stick of a plant wept over as it fell of the brace it was supposed to be tied to. Applejack sat down next to it, pulled some string out and began to repair it. As she fastened it, she spoke. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"You think Apple Bloom is somepony special don't you? You think she is some kind of genius?"[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack chuckled, but not in vain [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "Let me tell you somethin'. Not a day goes by that I don't think Apple Bloom is special. Ever since the day she was born, I knew she was a big deal to this family, and everypony. The way she interacts with others, the way she talks, her energy level. She's different. Of course I think she's special. But not so much in the way of super-scientist special. I think Apple Bloom has the ability to be the best pony Equestria has ever seen. I'm not quite sure what that means, or what she'll do, but with as much talent as she has, and with as much potential as she was given, its no doubt that she is on her way to something special. And her unicorn and pegasus friend? Well, that's no accident, I assure you."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack finished tying up the sapling, giving it a proper stand, pointing its small leaves directly into the sunlight. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"But until she grows up, I'm doin' mah best to protect her and teach her as much as I know. I imagine the earth pony way would be one of those things, of course, we still have no idea what that is."[/colour][colour=#000000] She winked.[/colour]

Twilight listened intently as her friend discussed in deep detail her thoughts and feelings regarding her younger sister and, indeed, their life. It was tocuhing to hear her talk about the heavy responsibility that had been foisted on her shoulders as a little one, something that Twilight and just about anypony else didn't have to deal with. To lose your childhood innocence so quickly and so young, and then to have the heavy responsibility of the family business and raising your little sister as if she were your own child. A heavy burden, one that forces you to grow up and indeed Applejack had always been the mature one of the group. And as she spoke, Twilight could sense tha sense of maternal responsibility and affection that had seeped in over the years quite naturally. It was enivitable really and very sweet, especially as she started on her extremely high hopes for Apple Bloom. A little over-wrought and fantastical, overblown but sweet, and also something very expected from a pony in her position. Twilight couldn't help but stiffle a giggle as her friend ended, though the giggle was more due to just how maternal some of her dreams for Apple Bloom were. It was wonderful to hear, a pleasure to see famed Apple family ties in action in such a powerful and unique way.

Sadly though, Applejack's attempts to tie it into the larger issue currently discussed floundered, but it had been more of a vanity attempt than anything so no harm done. Twilight allowed the mood to settle and lighten a bit, or at least let the high emotions start to leak out like air out of a balloon. She followed Applejack as she continued her orchard duties, taking notes and being as attentive as possible. But something was missing, and it wasn't just the answers to her questions either. As the minutes flew and she studied Applejack, the answer slowly dawned on her. Twilight wordlessly levitated a white cotton patch out of her saddle bag and a small, thimble sized container of water.

"Applejack, ignore what I'm about to do to you."

The water was poured delicately on the mare's forehead and soon the cotton patch was fastened where the water had dampened the forehead. Twilight did the same at the base of her horn, and it lit up brightly momentarily before dimming, both cotton patches glowing likewise briefly before dimming to an almost imperceptible hue. Twilight's notes grew quicker and more frantic, and a bead of sweat appeared. She had to find something.

"So, how long do you normally work per day on the farm? Any stress? What other responsibilities do you have?"

Applejack flinched as Twilight threw together what seemed like some kind of cotton swab on her forehead. She didn't resist fully as she was trusting Twilight for whatever it was she was doing. "What? Um, ok." Applejack wanted to ask a question, but Twilight asked before she could. Whatever it was she was getting at, Applejack was willing to entertain whatever mad science Twilight was trying to extract. "Ah get up just before dawn everyday, except on Tuesday when I get up a couple hours earlier than normal to do some farm budgeting. I'll usually get together a family breakfast after some early chores, and then work until lunchtime, where I may or may not take a nap under a tree out back." Applejack winked. "And then I'll run to the market, check on some things, makes some sales, do whatever I need to do, and I usually call it a day just before the sky starts to pinken up. I don't normally struggle with stress. A good long day of workin' usually puts me in a good mood when I come home and eat supper with the gang. Every tahm I hang out with our friends, ah get that same relaxin' sensation as well, so its always a good balance, ah think. Ah'm not sure if I could list a bunch of responsibilities to ya, I usually just do what I can. You know me"

Applejack leaned down to pick up a couple stray apples with her mouth, and as she faced down, sweat fell from inside her hat rolled down her forehead where the cotton attached to her forehead was. Because it was there for some reason, Applejack felt compelled to wipe the sweat from her face without touching the cotton. Applejack scratched the side of her head slightly. She inched near the swab with her hoof, but didn't touch it. "Um, Twilight. What in the world is this for?"

Twilight didn't consider herself manipulative at all, but sometimes she had to question that. The real goal of the question hadn't been to truly gauge Applejack's perceived stress levels, as a pony of her fiber wouldn't say such a thing. No, the real goal was to see the actual stress levels that such activities and their memories brought up on base hormonal levels and brainwave changes. What one said and what one even blieved were often different than the reality, and while it was an imperfect method she had a wide open question that demanded answers. Maybe Earth Ponies had a superior connection between their conscious and subconscious, which translated into having fewer crisis' of conscience and other conflict emotions? It wasn't solid, but it was something, and what she was picking up from Applejack was supporting it as best it could. Applejack wasn't just telling the truth, her body reflected the utter lack of stress on her both mentally and physically which meant that even in her core what she was saying was truth incarnate. She was working, discussing work, professed to love it all, and she truly did. That may have had more, probably had more, to do with her incredibly honest nature, but it was a start. Twilight listened intently and followed her every step as she went about work until Twilight was asked a question.

She gave a short, impish giggle as she put her tools of the trade away, dabbing at both cotton swabs.

"Oh, it's simple really. Each cotton swab has been dampened with both a little bit of water and skin solution to comfortably attach itself in front of our frontal lobes, and then each of them has been imbued with my magic. The solution allows my magic to seep into our bodies at a very low level, allowing me to study how your body is reacting. Blood pressure, hormonal levels, brain wave activity, and other smaller factors such as your heartbeats per minute and muscle activity, I can study them. See my notes!?" Twilight hovered her science-y and mad scribble journal in front of Applejack, a tome as indecipherable as any other. She then brought it back.

"It'll be fantastic information to use when we move on to other facets of my research, but that can be saved for later. So, what do we do next?" She offered, levitating her materials back out as she readied herself to follow Applejack on her daily routine some more.

As soon as Applejack realized what a simple cotton swab was capable of, she started to think more about it. Ironically, her heart jumped a couple paces during the process of the nervous feeling of being examine on such an intimate level. Without having open heart surgery, this was about as close as Applejack's heart could ever get to Twilight's, in a literal sense. Applejack plateaued her emotion on it though, and decided that since Twilight was here on a mission, Applejack might as well entertain her with something other than boring old apple collecting. "How about we go over to the garden next to the barn. I'm preparing a new section for a new vegetable. A vegetable that was founded a little over a year ago, a new kind of radish. They call it, the horse radish."

When Applejack walked with Twilight to the garden, she revealed a sets of new rows freshly tilled. Immediately, Applejack took a nearby hoe and started re-tilling the ground, making parallel lines in the soil. "This here dirt was already turned a few weeks ago. But it's best to let the dirt sit a while before tilling it again for planting. This allows the nutrients we put into the soil be absorbed, and have plenty of rainfall to evenly distribute the resources. We wont grow a yield until next year, but the preparation and planting happens before winter. Everything about this kind of plant takes time. And it's important to learn patience, as with most things in the garden." Applejack stood up after a few heavy heaves of tilling. "This is something I think earth ponies can do better than other ponies. We tend to be able to understand the time it takes to do this sorta thing. A pegasus pony is good at doing things fast. Unicorns are good at doing things efficiently. But earth ponies are good at doing things the right way." Applejack looked at Twilight with conviction. "No offense."

Applejack was nervous. Twilight could sense it- Twilight could actually sense it. Ha, it worked! Her system worked. This would revolutionize the healthcare industry for sure, the ability to study what was happening in the patient's body while they were awake and aware with no pain other than the somewhat awful thought of somepony being able to study your every physical nuance and tick with nary a defense in sight. A small price to pay for the improvement of your health, no? Still, Twilight didn't want to make her friend uncomfortable. While Applejack was today's willing test subject, Twilight wasn't going to abuse her position. Too often anyway. Applejack's vitals spiked quick and clear and her heart rate increased, but just as quickly as it had started it started to slow down. She may have been a bit shocked but she recovered quickly and before long her signs returned to normal. Quicker than Twilight had expected but that begged the question: Was that just Applejack being Applejack or did it have anything to do with the Earth Pony Way?

Applejack quickly took control before Twilight culd gallop down that rabbit hole any further, suggesting Twilight follow her as she went about more tasks. That suited the researcher slash friend slash princess slash partially mad scientist just fine and she did so. It wasn't glamorous but that was in some ways the best part about the job that Twilight witnessed. Equestria wasn't built on clouds or with magic but by hoof labor. Everypony did their share and that was the great equalizer- effort and love. If she watched a unicorn perform something that only unicorns could do or a pegasi something only a pegasus could do then the results would be skewed. While anypony could do what Applejack did, Applejack did it so well that it became something to hand your horsehoe on. The debate in Twilight's mind revolved around whether it was just Appljack's clear superiority at all things great and small or did it have anything to do with the Earth Pony Way? Applejack sure had an opinion, one which made Twilight chuckle.

"Well, I'm not so sure that isn't just an Applejack or Apple family trait, Applejack. I've known plenty of Unicorns who were more than happy taking the time to do things right. But about this horseradish- I've never heard of it before, and I thought I did a good job keeping on top of it. Who made it? Was it you? How? What does it look like? Taste like? And why in the wide, wide world of Equestria is it called a horse radish?"

Applejack smirked and blushed a little. "Nah, it aint me that came up with it. It was founded by an earth pony in the far east, just outside of Roam. They call it horse radish because of the strong nature of the plant." Applejack walked over to the side of the barn, where she had a bag full of radish roots ready for cultivation. She pulled one out with her teeth, and carried it over to Twilight. She spit it out into her hoof. "See this is the root for it. Basically, I set it into the ground, and let it grow for a year, maybe three years. And the root will tapper and grow branches. these branches I can use to grow more radish, and the main root I can harvest for crop. Horse radish is mostly used for condiments. It mixes well with vinegar, but lots of ponies don't even like it. Some ponies are even allergic to it. The root will grow very large and sturdy, and the bottom where it tappers looks like a hoof usually. So maybe that's why they call it a horse radish. Otherwise, I have no idea!"

Applejack continued tilling the ground and she thought about Twilight's part of being an earth pony. "So Twilight, any changes? Other than wings of course." Applejack knew that if Twilight had carried part earth pony in her now, that she would carry some of the lesser known traits known to earth ponies. She nudged Twilight in the side. "How's your appetite? Earth ponies always eat better than other ponies. They use more energy in their legs than other ponies use in their wings and horns, I think. And since you got horns and wings, I would imagine you're hungrier than a cow grazin' in the sand." Applejack would refrain from her always intuitive assumption that a pony needed to be fed. But she would still gauge Twilight for an response from her implication, and she would be ready for the eating tour.

• 4 weeks later...

Twilight considered herself for a few moments in silence as Applejack asked whether or not her appetite had changed any. In all actuality, it had, and rather significantly. A normal unicorn subsisted on a diet of 500 to 600 calories a day, a pegasus around a thousand, and an Earth pony 800 to 900. She was getting at least twelve-hundred a day, and that felt low- Celestia said that fifteen hundred was the preferred amount once she was fully grown. She had found herself eyeing up not only large quantities of food, but foods she had previously never even considered. Her taste buds had changed so drastically that foods that before were as dirt became pleasant, and foods that had once pleased her were becoming increasingly disgusting. She had before chalked it up to an alicorn's needs evolving the body to reject foods that were not suited to a growing mare. The Princesses' had confirmed this to a degree- their memories were foggy. But maybe it was Earth Pony magic, and not some sort of alicorn gift?

After all, Pinkie Pie ate candy all the time and yet she was as fit as a fiddle. Twilight had once upon a time considered that maybe some ponies were made of pure energy, and it was simply just her. Now maybe that was true, but she had a theory building and it wouldn't hurt to get more information.

"Yes actually, I'm hungry. I'm hungry a lot these days. I don't eat as much as Celestia, but my caloric intake has more than doubled since I became an alicorn," She smiled, "more than you, I'd bet. Even more than Rainbow Dash if I had to guess, and she's a prime athlete! As to your point about the differences- pegasi are the ones who need the most and consequently eat the most. Historically, that was one reason why the Earth pony refusal to tend crops for the ancient pegasi tribes became a problem so quickly. Even at a gentle hover a pegasi uses a lot of energy. Earth Ponies use more, far more, than unicorns. The difference between them and unicorns is bigger than the difference between them and pegasi...wow, that was a boring topic," She laughed, trotting line in line with her friend.

"If I had to point anything out as being different that I could attribute physically to earth ponies I would consider muscle structure. My back muscle are stronger now but that's because of my structure having adapted to deal with wings, but my legs and backside feel much...beefier. They don't look much different- do they?- but I feel much denser. If I had to guess, my muscles became tauter and firmer which opened up space for them to actually grow, increasing my strength by several degrees. I'm pretty sure I could wrestle the guards to a standstill should there ever be a coup!" She laughed heartily shaking her head, but grew silent for a few moments.

"It still feels very strange. I feel so big but I feel so small. I should continue to grow until I'm roughly the size of the other Princesses', however I feel as though I'm already as heavy as them. I'm not of course, but I can't get used to it. I feel awkward, though I seem to move at times with pre-natural grace and awareness. My body can act so fast, as if aural dispositions sense minute physical informalities and disruptions and adjust my sense of balance accordingly without my knowing. Just trotting with you feels weird. I feel big. I feel small. I feel awkward. I feel graceful...Applejack, it's like I'm an adult going through puberty again and it's downright annoying!" She sighed resolutely, determined to turn it back to a more productive angle "back on topic. Wings and a horn aren't the gifts of the pegasi and the unicorn. They're just physical attributes, and even then I know of unicorns and pegasi who are incredibly strong. So maybe an Earth Pony's gifts are physical, but what? You mentioned that they eat better. That doesn't necessarily mean they need more. Tell me, when did you start to develop your talent for baking? And another odd question. Your taste buds- did you notice them rapidly evolving at any point?" Twilight asked, Applejack's earlier mentions of horse radish lingering on as the prospect of food grew in her mind...very much like the horse radish.

Spittin' Snakes! The Princess was visiting the farm and was hungry this whole time and Applejack hadn't done anything about it! Applejack gasped and started pulling the conversation towards the barn. And as Twilight lectured, Applejack listened to every word. Even when she wasn't understanding some of the terms she used, she could still identify with what she was saying. Pegasi eat more than earth ponies? "That's very interesting, Twilight, but um, earth ponies eat way more than pegasus ponies. Why, I bet Apple Bloom could out eat Rainbow Dash in a pie eating contest, anytime, anywhere." Applejack gleefully spoke. She was confident that there was no way that pegasus ponies outdid earth pony's appetite for food. There were enough things that pegasus ponies were better than earth ponies at already. Applejack was going to make sure that eating wasn't one of them. "But that's really cool that your appetite is up, Twilight. That certainly is proof of you becoming part earth pony!"

As they walked inside, Applejack took an unashamed gander at Twilight's legs, her haunch height, and her muscle tone that connected her spine with her new appendages. It certainly was fascinating, even for Applejack. Applejack responded immediately to Twilight's concerns of feelings strange. She giggled first, but then strapped some wooden stilts on her hooves, giving Applejack's height a boost that would match better with the princess' new stature, if not larger. "Apple Bloom made these for herself but I can wear them while you're here if it'll make you feel better." Applejack wasn't just trying to be the best hostess and stewardess a princess has ever seen. She was also trying to be a best friend.

"Mah taste buds are plentiful. I don't know if its an earth pony thing, but I'm a lot less picky than say... Rarity. Obviously." Applejack chuckled. "I would lose interest in some types of foods sometimes. There was a time when I actually liked pears more than apples. But the blood-kin tastes caught up to me, and I love apples more. Usually, if I lose interest in a food, I gain interest in two new ones. So my appetite always has more and more choices as I grow older." Applejack led Twilight into the kitchen. "But honestly? I think that's just me and nothing to do with earth ponies. Here we are!" Almost like magic, Applejack showed Twilight the kitchen, in which several arrays of colorful food was already set out on the table, as if the Princess was announced ahead of time. It was mostly apple-based, but it featured several other types of fruits and grains that was common in Ponyville as well. "Heh, I would name everything for you, but I think I'll spare you the formalities. Go ahead and eat up!"

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Well, it was nice to see Applejack continue to have pride in certain traits she mistakenly believed were unique to the earth ponies. Misplaced as it was, anyway. Earth ponies ate bigger meals, but Pegasi ate more- five meals as opposed to three, evenly split as their work and form in the sky took the order of the day off of the dinner table. Apple Bloom may have had more of a desire to stuff her face full of pies, but Twilight had never seen a pegasus struggle to get out of a catatonic food state, which she had seen even mighty, hard-working Applejack fight mightily to get out of a similar stupor. Rainbow Dash for all of her laziness never had that same problem after she ate her meals! In any case, if Applejack wanted to believe that Earth ponies had some sort of silly appetite advantage (if it was an adantage), then Twilight wasn't going to fight her. Save that for the more important things.

Twilight laughed at the image of Apple Bloom in a pie eating contest and shook her head as Applejack ended, nodding along by the end.

"Well, if you're so certain that is a trait of all Earth ponies, I suppose you'd know better," She poked at Applejack's belly which resonated with a pleasing boink, "you'd be the expert in that department for sure," She finished, wondering if the Department of Equestrian Agriculture could have an Appetite Committee that needed a Chairpony. That would be a splendid meeting- homecooked meals for days. They walked into the house and soon she strapped wooden stilts on, which made her a little taller than Twilight even. She was going all out to make her feel more comfortable but if anything she was going just far enough to make it weird and uncomfortable. Well, nopony was perfect, not even the perfect friend.

"Thanks for the effort Applejack, but I'd rather you didn't put yourself in peril of falling over and getting knocked out. It would save me the trouble of having to nurse you back to health," Twilight offered as the pair continued. The house warm but not hot. She knew it was because of the construction of the barn, the Everfree wood being naturally superior at insulation while not trapping it in long enough to make it a serious heating issue. She knew that. But she chose to believe it was because of the warmth of the family inside, and in the end that was all that mattered. Soon she was sat down to some nice grub.

Of course it would have been prepared ahead of time. No doubt the rest of the family had seen them outside and went to it, but in any case it was fine. She listened intently to Applejack's words and even though she didn't let it be known, she was taking notes- inside her saddlebag. They would likely be messy but she'd get what she needed. Her theory was falling apart which would be frustrating, but a bite of a fritter dashed that possibility.

"This is great Applejack! I keep on forgetting that your whole family can cook as well as anypony in town. Tell me, have you ever considered getting more space, maybe a storefront, in town to sell your food? I'm sure it would do even better than the stand does now," Twilight finished as she started chowing down...voraciously. And most ungracefully.

Applejack was pleased to get through to Twilight that the appetite advantage would always be earth pony. It was important to her that her friend knew that, but also that a Princess could decree future meal laws in earth ponies' favor so that their hungry stomachs would not be exploited against other ponies. A little political, but important to Applejack all the same. No need to fight if the line in the sand is thick enough.

After Twilight noticed the stilts and suggested that it no be necessary, Applejack discarded them. "Well, ok, suit yourself! I guess I'll just have to tip my hat a little more to see ya." Applejack smirked. "As far as gettin' hurt, I'm sure none of that would happen. Nothing more embarrassin' than getting hurt at home."

As Twilight indulged herself at the snack table, Applejack watched, but also grabbed her own treat, a sugary doughnut filled with apricot. Twilight asked Applejack about a possible storefront for baking. "Oh shucks, I couldn't do that. We would rather put all our effort in harvesting apples and other crops. Mr. and Mrs. Cake do most of the baking in Ponyville. Not only would it feel like we're competing with them, but also we'd probably be dividing our time too much between setting up a bake shop and trying to get apples delivered to our customers, in Ponyville, and around the world. Remember, our apples get sent to places all over Equestria. Fillydelphia, Los Pegasus, even Canterlot. Our apples are delicious and they will travel. Heh, for the ponies who can afford the shipping, that is."

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

In the end Twilight supposed it made sense. Applejack was ten times over the farmer and baker than she was a salespony. Truth be told she wasn't a very good salespony at all. She was more liable to cut into her own profit margins just to secure an already secure deal or overdo the compensation for a wrong by overfilling somepony with apples. It was kind of her and nopony anywhere would ever claim she was anything but fair and kind with her pricing, but it certainly meant she brought home much less than she should have on a daily basis. Granny had a bad hip still and despite the seemingly unending string of farming successes the family had, and Twilight had no other recourse than put that at the hardworking mare's hooves. She would never say such a thing- it was so incredibly rude, especially considering how hard she worked for the good of her kin- but Twilight had always thought she could benefit from some business education or, failing that, an extra aide or two who specialized in sales.

"I suppose you are correct. You wouldn't want to compete all the way with the Cakes, especially since their business is so well established and well run. And you never know if it would damage your friendship with Pinkie, or cause great financial harm to the Apples or the Cakes. But maybe you could work out a deal WITH the Cakes? I wonder how Pinkie would react to the news that her little bakery is now selling specialized Apple products," Twilight wondered aloud, trying to connect the dots to form some spectacular conclusion about Earth ponies but finding the process creatively bankrupt. It was just business, and Earth ponies were certainly not gifted uniquely compared to others in that field. She would have been frustrated but the food was delicious, every bite which came faster and harder was just as good if not than the last. It was like her taste buds were on fire, a thousand paces a moment before she could classify the taste.

"This ish sho good, Applejack! Where didsh you learn to cooksh like thish?"

Archived