Fighting is Magic?

kinkamina

No.

There are many, many fan games that are made and in the wild, some of which feature terribly objectionable content that Hasbro could sue over but haven't. Cease and desist is meant to stop a game from seeing the light of day in the end, and in that way Fighting is Magic failed. If you want to complete a high level fangame, you need to just not say anything until you're ready to at the very least release something to the general public.

I completely agree with you. That Cease and Desist thing was absolutely ridiculous. They don't slap that across the faces of the other people that make MLP games and animations so why do it to them?

• 2 weeks later...

I completely agree with you. That Cease and Desist thing was absolutely ridiculous. They don't slap that across the faces of the other people that make MLP games and animations so why do it to them?

It always comes down to making that money doe!

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with Fighting is Magic is that it got voted to be in a video game tournament which put it too much in the spotlight

No, the problem is that Hasbro wants to keep their market squarely aimed at the babies who are supposed to be watching My Little Pony. To do that, quality products, whether they be fan or official, must be below the caliber that we were treated to in the early stages of Friendship is Magic.

No, the problem is that Hasbro wants to keep their market squarely aimed at the babies who are supposed to be watching My Little Pony. To do that, quality products, whether they be fan or official, must be below the caliber that we were treated to in the early stages of Friendship is Magic.

Wait, what? Yes, Hasbro believes that their primary market is still little girls, and rightly so. The adult fans of the show are adding to their profits, no question, but the primary consumers of pony toys are still those 'babies.' You have to remember that, when you boil it down, the FiM TV show is a toy commercial. Its a well done toy commercial, but the primary goal is still to sell their products.

At the beginning of the show, those products were minimal: Brushable ponies and blind-bag miniatures. That's it. Now that the show is popular, they are greatly expanding they products they produce in the MLP line, as well as licensing out the brand to other companies. Most of the best merchandise in the line didn't come out until S2 or S3.

The C&Ds that Hasbro issues all boil down to copyright law: Hasbro is REQUIRED to defend the copyrights on their products, or they loose the exclusive rights to sell them. If they lost that, any toy company could produce identical pony figures and sell them. This cuts into their profits, as well as ruining the line when cheaper companies put out inferior products. Fighting is Magic was shut down because they were using the official MLP characters. Hasbro owns the rights to those characters, and they control how they want them to be viewed. The company felt that putting characters that are primarily market toward little girls in a fighting game did not portray the image that they wanted.

If Mane6 had tried to sell the game, rather than doing it for free, they would have gotten their butts sued off, not just told to stop.

When, quite easily, they could have just put the game on Steam, charged five bucks and made their money from that. -_-

I'm sorry but this subject is one in particular I fault Hasbro and only Hasbro for. I was a big supporter of it when it was getting readied up, and to get cut down so close to release was infuriatng. Much moreso when I have to say "they were just doing their jobs".

The recent assaults on fan-created content have done nothing to villifiy them any less.

Well... fighting ponies is a rather disturbing thought. And a damaging image if it was to be allowed. Fan-Art is easily managed by national law. However, indie games are completely different. Now... I am sure if you did something like, make a MLP Fan-based MMO, and ask for permission from Hasbro, they would allow it as long as it's within their scope, and non-profit.

You can still expect a Cease and Desist using new characters just because of the name My Little Pony, or any resemblance. See the lawsuits from Activision against Indie Developers from the Apple App Store.

It's just a matter of permission.

Funny, I didn't know protecting what was yours was "Villainous" behavior.

Protecting a product I can understand. But the game stood to profit in no way. Once again, shoulda woulda coulda. But it wasn't. It was a labor of love made with every intent of respecting the source material. Same as Double Rainbow, same as Friendship is Witchcraft, same as Button's Adventures.

For a fandom so obsessed with nods to the audience from the writers, there sure are a lot more people ready to defend corporate meddling when it comes down to it.

Well... fighting ponies is a rather disturbing thought. And a damaging image if it was to be allowed. Fan-Art is easily managed by national law. However, indie games are completely different. Now... I am sure if you did something like, make a MLP Fan-based MMO, and ask for permission from Hasbro, they would allow it as long as it's within their scope, and non-profit.

You can still expect a Cease and Desist using new characters just because of the name My Little Pony, or any resemblance. See the lawsuits from Activision against Indie Developers from the Apple App Store.

It's just a matter of permission.

It's all under the banner of legalese. I really don't care that it's what happened, I'm blown because there were many other ways to handle it. Especially given that Mane6 were forthcoming enough to say that they worked hard to keep the game in the spirit of the show. And we've seen that ponies aren't afraid to get down and dirty if they have to, so it's not necessarily a no-no. FiM airs on the same channel as a Transformers animated series. Robot carnage? After or before colorful equines? The perceived damage is negligible in the end. No money would have been made and it would have been a triumph, yet another amazing project to gateway more people into the show.

And when I say vilify, I mean actions that are the exact opposite of endearing.

Alienating.

Because if sharing in FiM as a whole is an infringement on copyright then not only should this site not exist, I don't want jack to do with it if that stingy, money-grubbing mentality is what's going down. This is not what I, or anyone else came for. To get slapped down by The Man .

Archived