Why Saints Row IV should NOT be the final game in the Saints Row series.

Deadpool

Deadpool HERE! There have been heavy hints that Saints Row IV is the final game in the Saints Row series. This saddens me as Saints Row IV is probably the best game so far this year and one of the best open world games. period .

So without further ado, here is the reason why the adventures of everyone's favorite nameless psychopath should continue.

The series actually knows it's a game

Almost every open world game nowadays thinks it can replace real life by giving players a buttload of NPCs. quest, and (Terrible) dialogue. Skyrim won GOTY 2011 for doing this.

Saints Row is the open world game that you can play FOR FUN! Maybe I don't want to go in a cave to retrieve a woman's family talisman in order to marry said personality-less woman. Maybe I just want to kill her by throwing A FREAKING CAR IN HER FACE WITH TELEKINESIS.

It disproves that video games have to be art.

Saints Row took the theory of video games needing to have meaning, and threw it in the garbage where it belongs. I don't care if the game has deep message and well fleshed out character . When I was a kid, I played a game about an Italian plumber jumping on mushrooms to save a princess from a fire-breathing Gamera-wannabe.

I play games to have fun, and that is Saint's Rows high point.

Saints Row IV opened a whole new world of Gameplay.

Saints Row has ALWAYS been revolutionary, a game that skips the boring stuff and goes straight to the murdering. But the very idea of crime games involving super-powers was interesting. The idea that maybe now you could skip stealing cars and just flat out run across the map is a whole new revolution in gaming.

Johnny Gat

C'mon Volition, YOU GIVE HIM BACK TO US JUST TO END THE SERIES. NO! *clears throat*

Anyway, don't tell me you didn't love this character. This guy cares about NOTHING BUT MURDER! The only characters in GAMING who match his awesomeness are Dante Sparda (Devil May Cry 1-4), James Earl Cash (Manhunt), Frank West (Dead Rising Series), Nameless Protagonist (Saints Row) and one other character from Saints Row ....

GENKI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MURDER TIME!

FUN TIME!

As the 4th game clearly shows,

the cast of Prof. Genki's MurderBowl survived Earth blowing up

So give us Genki as A MAJOR STORY CHARACTER! I don't care if he is an ally or an enemy. (Although SR4 shows that the protagonist has grown a dislike of Genki) JUST GIVE ME MY FAVORITE MURDER CAT!

150px-Professor_Genki.jpeg

We never found out what happened to KillBane

The leader of the Luchadores needs closure, HE MADE A FOOL OF THE SAINTS! Yes I know that

Zinyak blew up Earth in the 4th game

Don't make THAT what killed him. Saints Row the third showed that Kill Bane was a master mind who probably survived that (Since it was Saints Row. ANYTHING could happen.)

We ended the last game with the protagonist having character development and a sense of justice.

The entire 4th game depicts the Protagonist as a hero instead of a heartless gangster. The game begins with you nearly dying to save the USA. Then after you become the PRESIDENT, Zinyak blows up Earth and the whole game is about taking revenge from there. To be fair, he has shown emotion, respect, and care for those close to him in the previous games. But the game makes ONE THING clear.

He misses the life of a criminal. He misses driving 60 miles over the speed limit on the side walk to avoid traffic. He misses killing civilians so that he can do the Macarena on their corpses.

The reason we loved these characters so much was that they didn't CARE how many people they killed. And although I could DEFINITELY see him killing Aliens to avenge the Earth. I don't see him doing it to avenge millions of lives but to instead avenge the planet he considered his playground.

The series just went COSMIC.

Really, the 4th game pits the leader of the Saints against a highly respected Alien overlord. You're going to stop at that?

NAY!

The whole UNIVERSE will be after the Saints now.

Am I the only one who sees the oppurtunity here? As long as they keep introducing species and gameplay innovations while still keeping that Saints Row humor, they could make a Saints Row 25 and it wouldn't get old.

So in conclusion

Why would you end such a glorious series after 4? There is so much to explore.

Saints Row IV was easily the worst in the series. Story sucked, dialogue sucked, characters sucked- they had some sharp writing from time to time, but most of it was flat. The game itself was incredibly easy and the gameplay itself was uninspired. Everything and the kitchen sink is lazy game design and I felt incredibly bored playing the game. It's the sort of game that appeals to either the immature side or those that are like LOLZ ZOMFG DA HEAD HAHAHAHAH.

I bought it, beat it, and traded it in immediately. With the trade in I only lost thirty bucks, which is a fine investment to end my affair with the series on. I should have followed my gut after the equally terrible third game!

I doubt that this'll be the final Saints Row game considering how positive the game's been received. While I've only played Saints Row III and IV I will say that it's only enjoyable when playing with a friend. I remember joking to my friend saying that they'd release an expac just so we could play with Saints Flow on 24/7 back in the Trouble With Clones DLC. Sadly though I can't help but feel as though that's exactly what Saints Row IV is, an expac of Saints Row III with a sixty dollar price tag.

To be honest I wouldn't mind if this was the finale of the series, it's not really a memorable game without a friend ya know?

I haven't played Saints Row 4 yet, so I won't be saying much about that 'cause I have no right to, but I did play The Third and that sort of started this fall from grace I saw in Saints Row games, in my honest opinion.

I have no doubt that Saints Row 4 is a fun experience, intent on being silly for the sake of being silly but if it was just a random new IP I'd respect it a lot more, mostly for the fact of where this all came from. Saints Row 2, in my opinion was the high point of the series, in terms of story, character and general 'game feel' to use a rather overused term. I think it surpassed GTA 4 in a sense, because it's storyline and drama actually added to the potential carnage the player could cause, as opposed to just being the polar opposite from it. The Boss and people like Johnny Gat in Saints Row 2 were psychos, no question, with very little regard for human life. But at the same time I found myself caring and even sympathising with people like Johnny at times, because (If you know the storyline of the game you can see what I'm talking about) he experienced tragedy at one point and doesn't just simply shrug it off, which results in one of the most dramatic and awesome villain deaths in the Ronin mission cycle.

But, I digress, and I could go on about Saints Row 2 all the day. The important thing I'm getting at is that Saints Row has gone through an identity crisis in my opinion. It gives you superpowers and aliens, and still keeps features like car customization it. It has 'dudebro' attitudes towards characters who once had legitimate personalities that you got invested with. But most of all it just gave a flaming kick to the kerb to all the mechanics that made Saints Row 2 soo great. Steelport is uninspired compared to Stillwater, Zinyak is a funny villian but nowhere near as memorable as Maero or The General and Mister Sunshine, and it just doesn't do it for me anymore, I'm sorry.

Games may not have to always push that they're 'art', 'cause nobody would take the claim seriously due to it's vagueness of a term. But all games are a visual interactive experience, and they work best when everything in a game compliments each other, not contradicts them, and I think that what seems to be happening with Saints Row. sadly. Again, all just my opinion.

Okay on a less serious note, Troy Baker's an amazing voice actor ;)