Thoughts on Sombra

Mellorious

So I had a thought about Sombra in the chat, and I'll post that log as it sums up the thought:

[18:50:03] <Mystik> Hey all! I just had a thought about Sombra's character design?

[18:50:51] <Mystik> Namely, he looks nothing like any other creature in the MLP show, and his tail makes me think he's a kirin?

[18:50:59] <Mystik> IDK, maybe I'l post about it

[18:51:09] <AlluraArcane|Work> 0-0

[18:51:15] <AlluraArcane|Work> That is an excellent idea.

[18:51:27] AlluraArcane|Work slides over to CC and begins constructing the app with that idea in mind.

[18:51:45] <AlluraArcane|Work> Mystik, you will be credited if I succeed...

But yes. What do you guys think, plausible? Considering typical depictions of kirins are like these:

http://neondragonart.com/Art/archive_selectart/kirin.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IX0pKxxsmlE/THLsOeT_wII/AAAAAAAAABE/phzrkeeTKEs/s320/Kirin3.jpg

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/28600000/Kirin-mythical-creatures-28621124-441-450.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IX0pKxxsmlE/THLsKuLpEDI/AAAAAAAAAA8/6c9xo1o_jPE/s1600/Kirin_by_greatwizardhowl.jpg

Sombra as a character? I thought he was just a cheap cantrip with no real personality, that was designed to push the story along. He certainly did his job.

Very much agreed. I also felt his design failed to give him any personality as well. The way that everyone talks about him builds him up to be this dark and powerful tyrant, who even after having passed away held so much power that the shadow and the threat of his return struck fear into others.. but when it came down to actually viewing him he was boring as sin. Just a regular unicorn with a slightly fancy horn, glowing eyes and a cloak. Trixie had that look down minus the horn with the Alicorn Amulet for frigg's sake.

My idea for how to at least convey an impressive image of Sombra? Make him crystalline. Basically make a cracked and broken body of moving dark crystals, shaped like a unicorn and wrapped in his old garments, with limbs that crunch and shatter with every heavy step. That at least would explain his nonsensical lack of dialogue and the constant gutteral groaning of 'crystaaaallllsss' like a vengeful spirit - make it so that his dark spirit was bound to a body of crystal as a result of his greed in life, rendering him more like a wraith possessing the environment. That way he'd not only be this imposing, potentially towering mass of moving crystals, but he'd even be a part of the kingdom itself, his polluting shadow having crept into the very land itself. Because if you're not going to bother writing dialogue for him, at the very least you should give him a design that warrants the lack of dialogue and at least tells its own narrative through sheer imagery alone.

Heck, every other villain's design fit their character besides Sombra - in fact, Nightmare Moon was a perfect display of both tyranny and elegance. All you had to do with Sombra was convey one of the two, and the notion that he was a spectral, dark shadow hovering over the land. What we got was a boring, plain-looking 'muahaha' unicorn and lots of shadow effects.

• Like 1

I kind of like Sombra. I've always had a weakness for enemies who are nothing more then a powerful force of nature

Giygas from Earthbound is one of my favorite enemies and you don't even get dialogue from him until the final battle.

"I.....FEEL...... G...ABBER...."

Or something similar

From Wikipedia

Qilin or Kirin

said to appear with the imminent arrival or passing of a wise sage or an illustrious ruler. It is a good omen that brings rui roughly translated as "serenity" or "prosperity", It is often depicted with what looks like fire all over its body.

So...

Appeared with the arrival of a new Princess in the Crystal kingdom but in a corrupted form, it is a bad omen that brings disturbance or poverty, it is often depicted with what looks like smoke all over its body.

Sombra has grown on me as I've thought about / headcanoned him more.

I kinda like Sombra, because what he lacks in canon lore, he makes up for with headcanon fodder. Who was he, what was he? It's interesting to take minute details like character design and stuff it with imaginative clouds till BAM! you have a fully-fleshed character or story!

At least, I like to do that. >w>;

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I kinda like Sombra, because what he lacks in canon lore, he makes up for with headcanon fodder. Who was he, what was he? It's interesting to take minute details like character design and stuff it with imaginative clouds till BAM! you have a fully-fleshed character or story!

At least, I like to do that. >w>;

agreed~! i mean yes he was over and done with quickly and (sadly) but he was TOTAL BEAST MODE he held a whole empire in check for a thousand years. he totally backstory ep then going into the wiping of him by the mane six..