Rainbow Dash and the Daring Do Double Dare

I finished the third G. M. Berrow original novel, Rainbow Dash and the Daring Do Double Dare, today.

The plot concerns Rainbow getting so excited over the latest Daring Do novel that she tries to prove herself the ultimate fan by performing requested stunts while calling herself "Daring Dash". Twilight and the rest worry Rainbow will hurt herself as she grows increasingly reckless. The Zecora shows up with a special mission for the bravest pony in Ponyville...

Observations: Clearly takes place before "Daring Don't" as Rainbow only imagines that Daring Do's antics could be possible, yet Berrow must have been in on the plot of "Daring Don't" since Dr. Caballeon is mentioned as the antagonist of one of the books. This novel says Rainbow hates chilli peppers. The muscular Pegasus stallion is named "Snowflake" here, the first time I know of in an official story (if incorrect let me know). The second official zebra appears, an evil treasure hunter named Braze, who also speaks in rhyme. Braze is strong enough to capture the entire Mane Six minus Rainbow.

I heard rumors of these books... they sound fun but... are they are childish as I heard? or are they like the comics that are "appropriate for all ages" but not mind-numbing to adults? (well... adult in age atleast ;) lol)

I heard rumors of these books... they sound fun but... are they are childish as I heard? or are they like the comics that are "appropriate for all ages" but not mind-numbing to adults? (well... adult in age atleast ;) lol)

They are rather childish yet often have reference to fandom jokes and memes, perhaps hoping an older fan is reading these books to younger siblings and children. I think this book showed an improvement in writing though; it lacked the huge plot holes of Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell and the abruptness of Pinkie Pie and the Rockin' Ponypalooza Party! I hope this means that Rarity and the Curious Case of Charity will improve even more.

They are aimed at 8-9 year olds. They aren't toddler books but you can read them in short order. It is a nice source of pony.

They are rather childish yet often have reference to fandom jokes and memes, perhaps hoping an older fan is reading these books to younger siblings and children. I think this book showed an improvement in writing though; it lacked the huge plot holes of Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell and the abruptness of Pinkie Pie and the Rockin' Ponypalooza Party! I hope this means that Rarity and the Curious Case of Charity will improve even more.

Eh, I've probably read worse fanfics, I might look for them later after the season's ended and I'm more desperate. Thanks for the info though ^_^

Eh, I've probably read worse fanfics, I might look for them later after the season's ended and I'm more desperate. Thanks for the info though ^_^

You're welcome ;) They do feel a little like fan-fiction at times by trying to mention every bit of continuity and side character, but fan-fiction with an inside look at upcoming episodes.

I'm kind of surprised that the waiting queue is just as long as the Harry Potter ones. And wow, Wildfire here? I thought she resides in Canterlot or something. :o

WHAT? South Amareica? Why didn't I hear that name before in our pony fandom?!

Snowflake? Eii.... looks like he has quite some amount of names other than Bulk Biceps as written on the card game.

Anyway, one hell of a book, much like Indiana Jones, I think. And that Rarity cover, will look forward to it, although I'm not so sure if dear Coco will be around.

Sorry, fan names. We make all 50 US States, there's also a few European countries and some others too, but just not South America. From the day I started my fandom till today, not heard a ponified South America till in the fiction. Stalliongrad is a popular made-up but never been used by the crew to possibly avoid offending the Russians due to being a former Soviet state.

Sorry, fan names. We make all 50 US States, there's also a few European countries and some others too, but just not South America. From the day I started my fandom till today, not heard a ponified South America till in the fiction. Stalliongrad is a popular made-up but never been used by the crew to possibly avoid offending the Russians due to being a former Soviet state.

Ah, all right then. I thought this was still on names in official works. Maybe it is time that the fanon makers here should work on a South Amareica.

Not all of them are official ones, I created Zebrazil. I also once made called Mos-Cow (No spelling change, just the sound, but sadly, people prefer Stalliongrad better and also proclaim it to be the capital state of the Pony Soviet Union.)

I heard Asian countries also got a few too, just Google around some ponified country names, you'll find some. :)

Whoops, but still, if I were the crew, sure, we can use that, but not sure if putting Soviet Communism reference inside a kids show is a good idea. Much like video game companies have to be careful on certain nations such as Japan hates bringing back memories of being nuked, and China wants to remain "clean & pure" (Hence you notice why games like C&C Generals & Battlefield 4 got banned because these games contain China making them feel bad).

Back on topic, yeah, I remember Volgograd while I was looking around in Wikipedia, same case for Leningrad changed to Saint Petersburg.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the least enjoyable book for me so far:

Kept getting flashbacks to Mysterious Mare-Do-Well here and there, and I didn't really care for Braze at all. The latter really was an issue to me, since I really do think stories like these are only as good as their villains.

Archived