Fire Under Your Wings [request entry]

RainbowFoxxy

The next day dawned with a bit of a drizzle in the air. Spitfire went down to the lower level of the inn and ordered a coffee before stepping out onto the front stoop. She sipped her drink while looking up and down the street, After the events of last night she had tried to communicate with those that had been interested that she would like to leave for the fire mountain this morning. She shook her head slowly while thinking over the tussle in the inn. Rowdy griffons, flying knives, it had been interesting. Though a good bar fight was enough to get her a little excited, the thought of flying through a volcanic eruption was really something.

"I hope they show up soon..." She muttered to herself as she continued to sip her coffee. It was chilly out so the yellow mare had made sure to zip up her bomber jacket tightly. "I wonder what the old fire mountain looks like today." She mused, wondering if the eruptions were still happening full force. Soon she would be flying there to find out for herself.

Naj awoke with a yawn. The changeling looked over at the window on the opposite side of her room, not seeing much with the curtains drawn, but nonetheless gathering that it was morning by the light. Well, strictly speaking it was Spring Breeze's room, but that was a matter of semantics.

Much as she might have liked to keep the window open and have a vantage point on the city outside, Naj couldn't take the risk of being spotted by chance in this case. She liked to sleep in her natural form when she got the chance. It meant a brief chance to not worry about keeping up the charade, and gave her a comforting sense of control over her life.

It couldn't be done without taking precautions however. Naj lingered in bed for a moment, savouring the sensation for a few minutes before convincing herself that she had things to do and thus had to get up. She didn't fully believe that, but knew that if she let herself slip that way she might never recover. With a small sigh, she rolled out of bed and donned her disguise with a green flash.

'Spring Breeze' threw open the curtains, taking a look at the city below. The sun was not quite fully over the horizon, and while the streets weren't exactly packed she could see a number of ponies beginning to go about their day. Seeing nothing noteworthy, she moved over to the door, moving aside the chair she'd pushed against door the previous evening, before exiting the room and descending to the ground level of the inn.

'Spring Breeze' looked around the main level, not immediately spotting the mare she'd spoken too the previous evening. Spitfire, she'd said her name was. After a few moments 'Spring Breeze' spotted the fiery-maned pegasus through a window, standing outside the front of the inn. 'Spring Breeze' joined her on the stoop, shivering at the chilly morning air briefly as she stepped outside. Unsure of quite what to say, after a short, awkward moment she settled on “Good day to fly somewhere hot.”

Xan awoke in the rafters of the bar, with his cup balanced on the same rafter he was on. Just another typical night for him. He finished off the tiny bit of water left in the cup before 'Spring' appeared. He watched her, waiting until she left before he did anything. When she went outside, Xan flipped down onto the floor, landing right next to the table he had been using.

After setting his cup down, he stretched. Then he went to retrieve his knife, the one stuck in the wall. No one had tried to take it, so that was good. He worked it out of the wall and put it back where it belonged, amongst his other knives. Having dealt with all the pressing matters, he wondered what he should do.

One glance out the window answered that question. He saw Spitfire and 'Spring' outside together, and he remembered Spitfire's plan to fly through a volcano, and his plan to join her. He walked over to the door and joined the two on stoop. He stood off to the side, casting a glance at the two outside with him. The chill was invigorating, in a way.

After the bar fight, and his being thrown out. Razor, in preparation towards the volcanic flight went for some rest....and to lick his wounds. He had spent a whole night with a ice pack around his eye though he was sure it was still a little bruised from before.

The brisk weather was the perfect setting before a journey, and he wondered if they might be hit with a storm. Even though flying through storms was dangerous, it was that very danger that made them fun. Lightning and lava, oh that would be a rush of excitement.

He spotted the ponies he had meet before and walked over to greet them, "Yo. Eh, I'm not sure I introduced myself before that whole fiasco. Names Razor, the most agile griffon in this world or the next."

It can be noted that Razor's, slight difference in height was a noticeable thing here now. Where all those gathered were no doubt of average height....Razor....stood a bit of a half a head shorter then them. He was not a tall griffon, more like a slightly short one.

• 2 weeks later...

Good day to fly somewhere hot.

Spitfire nodded as Spring Breeze spoke. The yellow mare shivered slightly and pulled the collar of her jacket up as far as she could. She looked back into the bar.

"Yeah... good day to fly somewhere hot, and also a good morning for a hot cup of coffee."

She had almost decided to go grab a mug of joe when Xan appeared. Spitfire hadn't spoken to him yet, but his proximity to them suggested he wanted to come on the adventure.

"Glad to have you... what was your name?"

Next the griffon showed up.

Yo. Eh, I'm not sure I introduced myself before that whole fiasco. Names Razor, the most agile griffon in this world or the next."

He was certainly a short griffon and Spitfire did her best not to look down as she spoke to him.

"Hey Razor! Glad to meet you! The name's Spitfire. Looks like almost everyone is here." She glanced around. There were at least couple others who had showed their interest in coming along.

"I'm gonna grab some coffee before we head out." She ducked into the bar, hoping they served coffee.

(just a little post to give everyone time to join in ;))

• 2 weeks later...

(I've been waiting for DerpRavener to post, but I guess I might as well do mine now.)

Xan stood where he was, examining the town as Spitfire and 'Spring' talked. He spared a glance in their direction when Spitfire asked for his name. He retourned his gaze to the area before him before he answered.

"Name's Xan." He said, just before the small griffon showed up and started talking to the group. The griffon introduced himself as Razor, claiming to be the most agile griffon in the world. That made Xan smirk slightly. So much for being humble.

Spitfire left them out there together, apparently going to get some coffee. He stared at Razor, sizing the griffon up, as it were. He had nothing to say to either of them, so he remained silent. There was no point in bringing up the truth of what 'Spring' was, at least not yet.

KZEtvg4.jpg

Mistral sat at the bar, sipping idly on her morning coffee. After slipping some bits on to the counter and finishing her drink she headed for the door... only to collide with spitfire, "'ey! Could ya watch where you-- Hey... hold on a sec... Aren't you the captain o da wonderbolts? Sorry about bumpin' inta you dere. What're you and you're um... entourage doin'?" she said looking over the small group assembling.

Among those assembled she took notice of one cloaked pony and a familiar looking griffin.

"Hey. I remember you!" she said pointing to Razor, "Your da guy who helped me with that jerk from yesterday! Thanks!" As she walked past Fire it might be rather obvious that this mare was noticeably shorter than the one she just passed... it wouldn't be too hard for somepony who wasn't paying attention yesterday to mistake her for an older filly rather than an adult mare.

Thankfully, Silverbolt had avoided the brawl the night before. He'd gone back to his hotel after the second or third drink, satisfied with the service. He had slept well, awakening with the sun. "Time to prepare for high temperatures...", he said to himself as he gathered up several canteens and filled them. It wouldn't do to have him or one of the others faint from dehydration!

He slung the canteens over his neck before pulling his goggles over his eyes. "It's time to rock and roll...", he said with a smirk as he left the hotel. It didn't take him long to reach the meeting place as he paced himself at a slow trot. Waving to the others, he giggled before saying, "I'm here! I brought plenty of water for everyone since I've heard it's going to be hotter than the deserts of Saddle Arabia!".

Archived