Luna and the Dreamscape - Episode 5: Sky Sailing

Hippo

To almost every artistic or creative pony, there will sometimes come visions, either waking or sleeping, that are too bright for reality but too vivid for dreams. They bear to the waking world the same resemblance that dreams to it, and they stay with those ponies for the rest of their lives, behind everything they do. For Sky Sailing, this moment of perfect beauty was one such vision, that could run like a motif through hundreds of songs.

Like any true artist, when he had found beauty, he wished to share it. He looked up at Princess Luna, grateful that she had helped him get through the nightmare to this moment, and incredibly happy that she could see it too. "Thank you, Princess." The shy stallion was so full of this quiet elation that he even ventured to ask, "Before you go; if I were to send you a recording of some of my songs, would you listen to them?"

banner_luna_zpsd0aade62.png

Luna had turned while Sky Sailing was spilling his lasting thoughts on the dreamscape experience. And when he asked the Princess if she would take some music samples, Luna stopped turned to him and smiled. "Recordings? I will have no such thing!" Luna said as she raised her head to a tower. But she then dropped her head and explained, "I prefer your music to be live. Come to the castle in the evening and I promise to make an audience of your passions. Maybe you can play me a moonlight sonata. Just make sure I'm not still sleeping."

Luna turned and trotted away. To her steps, a sonata could be heard playing all around. The sonata played in medium tempo but then started slowing down and sounding off pitch. The music grew louder and less recognizable until all that could be heard was the slow poundings of the song. When it grew to ear piercing loudness, everything turned white and black simultaneously and nothing could be seen.

Luna has always been a fan of music. With the exception of when she is trying to sleep, she would love to see the talents of any and all musical ponies that come to play around Canterlot when she might have time to see and hear them. And for Sky Sailing, she made it a point to provide a visual encouragement in the moon if he ever happened to look up at it during one of his performances in which he would need that reminder.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Did Princess Luna just ask for a private concert, or was Sky Sailing just dreaming? The answer to both was Yes, of course, and the realization seemed to fill the air like cool sea winds, both invigorating and relaxing at the same time. "Alright then, I'll meet you there."

The pitches and tones in the air began to wind down as the great music box reached the end. The pegasus stallion felt himself slowly fall away, as one passing from waking to sleep. Only now, he was going from sleep into waking...

He opened his eyes two minutes before the alarm on his clock was to sound. He'd been sleeping for 3 solid hours in a row, a record for him. Sky still felt himself full of the same emotions of his dream as he dragged himself from his bed of clouds into his morning ablutions.

He took breakfast on the go, usually, a piece of buttered toast still hanging from his mouth as he emerged into the early morning air. His work shift at the Cold Storage was to begin soon, though Celestia had only begun to raise the sun over the horizon. It was not yet painful to look directly towards the eastern horizon, and Sky could see, outlined against the gray dawn, the spires of Canterlot Castle, which he had so recently seen in his dreams.

"An audience of the Princess..." In the light of the sun, dreams were said to fad like a morning fog. But Sky's mind could make a home for such even in the light of noonday, and while he worked at loading and unloading, his mind was already floating on the sea of notes, the tide bringing it in and out. He sailed now upon it without fear, for he knew where he was going... and why.

Archived