All Work and No Play Makes Applejack a Dull Pony (Applejack/Valen Orange)

Hippo

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Prince Valen! Now there was a title that not in a million years did he think could possibly be attributed to him. Not only was his family not quite that rich but royalty had sort of a poor rub outside of the Princesses as a rule of thumb. But the thought of little old Valen having a big orange servant who was more than happy to get her master out of the carriage cab tickled him pink and purple and many other colors. He exited the cab with his head held high, payment for the driver and a healthy tip left behind. He nodded glibly at his cousin, a tickling and peckish smile protruding from behind a mask of royal indifference. “Oh yes, good work Ser Applejack. Chop chop now, do not dally!” Applejack playfully replied, barely getting through it before an impish giggle escaped his lips. He bounded into the bakery with high energy and spirits, ready to show his cousin a good time.

Valen entered the bakery, the chime reminiscent of any other. The front counter was flanked by the normal display of tasty treats. Row upon row of tables were laid out otherwise, colts and fillies of all ages making candy. The materials were produced from small containers in the middle and while they weren't all that complex, the combinations were insane. Who knew a gummy candy bar with caramel cream inside was possible? Not Valen, which is why the kid that made it looked so pleased with herself. She trotted up to the front and paid her somewhat high price to the owner, who finished that transaction and then turned and saw Valen. Then he spoke and Valen remembered why he was more than worried about coming here.

“Hey there, Valen! Long time no see. How's the model circuit treating you? And who is this beautiful mare you have with you? Mr. “Sweet Mercy” Cartwheel at your service, madame...?” He said, his boxer's mug from old milk cartons and endorsement deals shining with a lothario’s smile.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

banner_applejack_zpscd51b6b0.png

The shopkeeper noticed the two immediately as they entered, and greeted Valen by name, and Applejack by sight. Applejack heard it clearly. Model circuit? Must be an inside joke. Applejack would have brought it up, but she didn't want to embarrass Valen in front of the first public figure of the day. Or to Valen, it seemed like an everyday acquaintance. "Howdy! I'm Valen's cousin from Ponyville. Cuz says you got a lot of good eatin's around here. Here comes here everyday don't he?" Applejack poked at Valen, although he didn't respond as fast as she expected. And every time that would occur, Applejack would feel like she stepped over the line, and decided to take a step back, waiting on whatever Valen would say in this moment.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen blushed terribly without a moment passing, the words 'model circuit' slipping through into that dangerous zone where Applejack may ask questions where the answers were highly troubling for Valen. Valen shot a look and a short scowl at the candy shop owner, and Mr. Cartwheel responded with a quizzical look as he wondered what was up one of his favorite customer's flank. Before Valen could try to signal to cut the chatter, Applejack came in. Well, at least she didn't ask anything just yet. It was always nice when the hammer didn't come down on him the way his nightmares told him it would. Unless this was a nightmare and it would happen later. If so, balls. Balls to it all. At least until then there was the sincere promise of candy and further brushes with destiny. And soon they would also be able to create something absolutely amazing and mouth watering and the sugar would cause such hilarity, right?!

“Well well well, welcome to my little shop in the big city, Valen's cousin from Ponyville! Quite a long name for a pony so pretty,” Cartwheel winked, dripping in excessive amounts of swagger. He then nodded towards Valen, who while relieved still wore a look of concern across his young features, “and yep, Valen is a long-time customer! Usually comes in with the rest of Madame Tusscouture's Modelling Com-” He started before Valen panic-waved at him to cut it off, complete with a cough of such great scale that it shook the store and all eyes drew to Valen. He smiled nervously and waved at everypony as Mr. Cartwheel finally got the hint, “yeah, that. So anyway, one adult and one foal, say twenty percent off for a pretty face, large custom candy bag? How does that sound, Miss...?” Mr. Cartwheel fished for a name, ever the lothario. Valen picked up the two large bags and trotted towards the custom candy section, more than happy to get out of Mr. Cartwheel's big fat mouth range.

• 4 weeks later...

Mr. Cartwheel certainly was a charmer. He shot back at Applejack's vagueness and she immediate smiled with the challenged placed on her in a casual social situation. But something happened before where he mentioned something Applejack didn't recognize. And then was stopped by Valen midsentence. Seemed sorta rude, but she wasn't sure what it was about. "Applejack," she finally responded. She followed where Valen seemed to be tugging her to, but she couldn't resist thinking about the context words that seemed to be thrown up in the air for anypony to catch. "Valen. What's this about a model circuit? Oh! You race model cars? I did that for a short time when I was a foal. It was a good hobby. You should show me yer model, i bet I can help you make some improvements."

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Model cars? Racing those? Yes please. They didn't have enough room in his house to allow him the option of racing car models and for as fun as they were they were too niche for his parents to see te value in it. Watching the clubs go was a treat, though. Some of them were powered by magical batteries and still others were tied to pedals that ponies used, making it true contest of both skill and physical ability. No doubt that was the type pf car Applejack had driven in her youth. He could see it- her legs working the pedals a mile a second, crushing the competition. He didn't have that in him, not close to it. Instead of racing model cars he soaked his legs in special coat formula washing away even the barest hint of sweat and grime. He spent his money, as hard earned as it may be, on everything save for model cars. Applejack was so off and so earnest about it that Valen let out nervous laugh, trying to catch up to all the possibilities before realizing what was happening.

“Hahahaha- oh, ah, not that- not racing models, AJ. I don't have cars. What model circuit? He was just being a kidder is all. Speaking of kidders, look at all this custom candy!” Valen blushed before flailing at the collection of treats. The whole process was split up into four sections. The first was the jacket or covering of your delicacy, with every from gummy to caramel shells as options. Then there was the filling, from chocolate to cranberries to more gummy options! Then there was the coating and the accessories which only made the treat ever more sugary and bad for you and your diet. Valen trotted up and down the line, pointing somewhat randommly and out of focus at various little candies he liked. Fact was he didn't really know what he was looking at, so focused on not focusing on the thing that had caught Applejack. Anything to get her away from model talk."So Applejack, you're a great cook. I'm sure looking at all this is giving you loads of ideas, right?"

• 4 weeks later...

Applejack nodded back at Valen for his explanation of the work 'model' being used in its context, but left the question she had unanswered. Applejack figured he might be hiding something, but she decided to not make a big deal out of it, since he felt more engaged in the creation of sweets. Ahead, a long self-serve bar of sugary treats displayed, and made Applejack realize why it smelled so gosh darn sweet when she walked in. "Well shoot. It's sweeter in here than a caramelized sugarcube." She then proceeded to take her southern slang to a more literal execution of her confectionery talents. Taking a plate, she took several sugar cubes and then drenched them all with a large spadeful of chocolate sauce, and then put sprinkles on them. It wasn't necessarily rocket science, and it had surely been done before, but Applejack liked the idea of being able to make whatever you want out of sugar-based ingredients as their simple state. "I call 'em chocolate-covered sugarcubes, Sugarcube. What you got over there?"

ValenOrange1withtext.png

In the face of such delicious delicacies both the Apple and the Orange could do little but buckle. The sheer array of options blew Valen's mind. It was constantly expanding, always trying to outdo the outsized expectations of a store that allowed fillies and colts to create their own candy. As difficult an assignment as that was this store managed to exceed even the unreasonable expectations that fostered the dreams ponies had of coming here. Valen was going to live his own now, even as his cousin started first. What was he in the mood for? He was feeling a bit roguish and delightfully impish, so something bigger in scale than tinier multiple deliciousnesses. Valen decided on a simple doughnut base, covered in thickened caramelized coating. The real treat was what the doughnut was injected with- total. Chocolate. Fudge. Action. Yum indeed. He slid it on top of a small plate and found himself confronted with Applejack's sugarcubes. Talk about wonderful! “Chocolate covered sugarcubes? Applejack, that seems like it would be one hootenanny of a treat. Maybe Applelize it and sell it at Sweet Apple Acres?” Valen tossed up as the duo went back up front, placing their chosen teats on the counter to pay.

“Alrighty, not too bad- would normally be fifteen buts but how about twelve for the missus with that discount?” The ever so suave Cartwheel asked, waggling eyeborws and all.

Valen's treat was looking very chocolaty. He had made this before, she was sure. And with his reply about the sugarcubes, adding an apple flavor to it and selling it at the farm, Applejack chuckled and asserted. "Heh, what's makes you think we already don't?"

When they got to the counter to pay for their treats, the clerk gave them both a discount, saying it was 'for the missus.' Applejack laughed. "Ah'm single, actually. Just a miss for now." She winked. "Thanks for the discount for me and mah cousin. You're such a MODEL CITIZEN."

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Cartwheel's eyebrows nearly waggled right off of his head at the rate they went after Applejack declared she was single. Valen rolled his eyes gently at the notion- Cartwheel hit on every adult mare he saw. He was a well known lethario who was a lethario to himself alone. The transcation was completed nonetheless and Applejack left on a killer line- model citizen. Hah! It was a good line. Valen would be worried it was about him in some way but the thought of his decadent chocolate gift melting deliciously in his gaping mouth superseded any concern he had about the play on words going around him. In fact, the day was looking up. He had passed the danger zone and they were going to share delicious treats. The possibility that Applejack actually something along the same way as the idea he had was scrumptious in and of itself. Today- today was a good day.

“Come again you two! Discounts galore for such a pretty mare on my floor,” Cartwheel waggled some more, the attempt at a rhyme being passable at best. Valen led the way out and soon they were back in the hustle and bustle of Manehattan, ponies walking briskly on by in every given direction. Valen cared little, his chocolate surprise beckoning him sinfully forward. Oh by the hoary hosts of Celestia was this looking fine. “Well Applejack, I'd say that went better than expected! Where to next?” Valen asked, already forgetting everything in the delicious chocolate rush before him. He started to get it out of the bag when somepony stopped in front of them, gasping the gaspiest gasp he had ever heard and forcing him to look alarmingly up. It was...

...Nopony he knew. A somewhat hefty colt his age with small glasses and an incredibly large saddlebag that was having trouble staying upright. He looked at Applejack with wide eyes.

“You're Applejack, riiight?” He asked in a nasally voice, eyes taking in the glorious orange mare deeper every second.

Applejack caught Valen's eye roll in her peripheral vision. It would seem that Mr. Cartwheel always flirted with mares, and that this was not his first time dabbling in a little eyebrow waggling. Of course, if she wanted to, she could inform Valen that a mare like her gets those looks all the time and she is accustomed to ponies, particularly stallions, showing their satisfaction of meeting Ponyville's own Applejack. She could tell him about all the secret stories most ponies don't know about some of those ponies, too, and even her own little insight on how to manipulate a pony without sacrificing the integrity that is constantly pumped through her heart. But, she would spare him the lecture.

They walked outside, and were met by a colt about Valen's age carrying large saddlebags and asking if she was Applejack. This wasn't the age range Applejack usually had when talking about the aforementioned experiences, but Applejack would respond as she always did. Friendly and curiously. "Ah sure am! And you are...?... Uh, do you need help with those bags?"

ValenOrange1withtext.png

The colt in front of Applejack stared and gawked for a few seconds, his bespectacled eyes taking in the Element of Honesty with all of the joyful silence of a hummingbird at rest. He then shook his head awake and blushed wildly, leaving Valen confused. Where in the wild world of Equestria's deepest fantasties was this interaction going? He wasn't so ignorant asto not understand his cousin was famous. He got questions regarding her at the academy often enough to be abreast of her burgeoning fame, especially amongst hipsters and trendsetters who constantly moaned about city life in all of its high-pitched intensity. But for the life of him he hadn't believed they'd be stopped on the street by some...err, heavy-set colt with deficient eyes on account of her fame. No doubt Applejack had a fanclub somewhere but it sure as heck wasn't here.

“Oh-oh, n-no thanks, I'm fine. Just got a lot of oubliettes and ogres materials for my gaming group later! I just can't believe I'm talking to the real Applejack! Wowie!” the colt nearly fainted before catching himself, tossing his saddlebag to the ground in a huff, “oh celestia! I-I have something I'd like you to sign! I mean if you're not so busy- too busy, I mean. If you can...” the colt rifled through his belongings, muttering to himself all the while. He finally pulled out a binder, “yay!” the little shrill voice blew out as he started to turn page after page. Playing cards, all of them. “There is this brand new card game based on famous Equestrian ponies a-and you're one of the Ultra-Rares. I pulled one out of a pack just last week and put it in this everfree plastic sleeve and then the sleeve in a binder and the binder in a protector!” He got to Applejack's card, which was as shiny as it could possibly be, “here it is! I-if you have the time, it'd mean a lot if you could sign it please thanky you very much...” he trailed off, hoofing over a plastic-safe permaquill with a special ink.

Valen looked over the cards. Was it a legal card game? Probably. Historical or well-known figures didn't have the same protections...which was a thought that raced through his mind as his eyes lazily looked over the cards. The colt had them color coded, and the game was color coded based on a pony's coat color. Of course there was more variation than any game could possibly every hope to play with, so it was sectioned into five basic colors. Similar colors were thrown together. Including a card for Gilded Lilly, Filly Model Superstar. A chill down his spine and the cold embrace of near embarrasment was enough to get Valen to look everywhere but at the colt. Yep. Yep. You know what was really interesting? That window being washed a few stories up. Yep. Super exciting. Just going to look over there now.

Glance down- nope, everything was the same.

Back up the window. Exciting action up top.

• 1 month later...

"A card game?" Applejack chuckled. She could hardly believe it. Although she understood some of her efforts helping be apart of the pony team that saved Equestria on more than one occasion would promote her to heroine status in cities she was not often found in, she also knew that most ponies prefered ignorance to those types of pony famous icons. The younger generation was much more likely to fall into the trap of over imagination with these Equestrian celebrities, like this one. And like most colts and fillies, they would be exposed to a world when they grew older that allowed them to be a little more selfish for good reason and concentrate more on themselves and the friends they were close to, instead of following distant idols. Applejack prefered it that way.

"Um, sure I can sign it I guess. My signature isn't very pretty though, I'll try my best to make it look good." Applejack took the pen in mouth and started carefully drawing her name written in equestrian lettering. It was an art form to move the jaw and tongue in unison to get jsut the right angle on the pen to write. And when she was done, she pulled away the pen and gave it back to the colt.

jack-lew-signature.jpg

"Here you are, but I have some questions about this card game." She smiled with a staggered eyebrow raised. She curiously started looking at his collection of other cards. "Are there other ponies on other cards that I know? Is Rarity on a card? What about Twilight? CanI see them?"

ValenOrange1withtext.png

The large colt took Applejack's signed card with all the grace and careful consideration a nerdy colt could muster in his outrageous excitement. He quickly scanned it and a small tear started to develop, ladden with such much happiness and unbelievable good fortune that it defied any standard belief. Valen looked at the spectacle with a mix of confusion and pity. Pity in some good quantity for the colt, ut also pity that he couldn't go back in tie and use his cousin's supposed fame for his own ends on a few occasions. That would teach him not to be a gentle and considerate one. Next time the opportunity presented itself he would slam his relations so far down the throats of another that they'd be puking up her good name until they submitted to his grandeur by association.

And then Applejack asked if there were cards of her friends, which was answered in the colts' eyes and by Valen's freezing heart. Why did she have to show an interest in this silly card game? It was a semi-popular one at best, not even in the top three card games on the market. What terrible fortune befall Valen that he was at the mercy of a large nerd and the incessantly curious overtones of his cousin? If only he could get that folder away from the colt. What he wouldn't give to be a unicorn at that moment was dwarfed by the debasement he would suffer to prevent himself from falling victim to to is own avarice and lifestyle. The colt fumbled with the folder before hoofing it over, having gently placed Applejack's beautifully signed card into its safe place.

“O-of course! I have the full set of b-both Equestrian Heroes & Heroines and Equestrian Celebrities,” The colt said proudly as he hoofed over the folder. It was all very well organized by color, which was nuts for Valen since Gilded Lilly was on the page next to Applejack's cards. Valen stared away. Up at the sky. At the street. At the ground. Deeper into the ground. As long as he wasn't recognized or Applejack didn't notice the card, everything would be grand. Better than grand, ten grand. But if she did- well, maybe she wouldn't put it all together now but she wasn't a simpl country bumpkin, either. Time would run out eventually.

Sure enough, there was cards of all the famous ponies Applejack knew, and even some famous ponies that Applejack didn't know. There were even several references around just the Apple family themselves. Not too surprising. The Apples were responsible for most of the exploding market that now exists in the central regions of Equestria. Thanks to the apple orchard, Ponyville can exist as an important economic market, and holds home to the newest Princess of the lands. It was pretty strange to see these publicated into a card game, but it was also not too stunning to see the ponies recognized this way. Often times, Applejack felt like the world was ignorant to the world-saving she and her sisters had done in the past. But it didn't bother her much either way. She would rather be treated as a regular pony who is judged for her day to day interactions.

And then she saw it. With a flip of the page, she saw a card she never thought she would see. "Oh. My." Applejack starred at the page for several seconds and then looked at Valen. "Valen. You see this? Look!" Applejack shoved the folder in Valen's face, revealing a card that Applejack was overwhelmed with seeing. "Apple Bloom has her own card! Can you believe it! Our little Apple Bloom!" A small tear fell from Applejacks eye with joy. Applejack also saw a strange card that had Valen dressed up as a supermodel. She wasn't sure how to respond to it, and wasn't sure if Valen even knew about it, so she decided to not mention it. But there was no mistake. That was Valen, and he was keeping a secret from Applejack.

Like most times, Applejack valued honesty. She valued it so much, that she would rather give ponies the dignified chance to be honest than to be faced with no choice but to confess. So Applejack would let the moment linger a bit more. She would asked questions eventually, but for now, she was proud of Apple Bloom. It made sense, since all of the families of the so called 'heroines' were listed in the card bible, but even Apple Bloom didn't know about this. Applejack figured that if she had, she would have bragged about it.

Applejack gave the folder back to the nerdy pony. "Thanks for sharing this. My friends aren't gonna believe this when I tell 'em back home. Have a nice day!" Applejack waved off the pony and started walking down the street side. She didn't know exactly where she was going, but she figured Valen would follow. They were on their way to a library, but it could wait.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen marveled for a moment at the sheer amount of detail some of the cards had. These weren't drawings or other pieces of art depicting the heroes and celebrities of Equestria, these were photos. Photos! Those could cost a fortune. News organizations and magazines were the only ones who really dealt with such things. The average camera cost a mini fortune, so you needed a large family like the Apples or a good darn business reason to buy one. Pictures themselves could cost a lot of money too, so seeing that the cards had professional photos as their base was shocking. Valen distracted himself with this fact for a bit, more than happy to wonder about the business model behind the game than what would happen if she ever decided to start asking questions. Seriously, how did a mid-major card game get such professional photography? Did the wonders never cease in this crazy, crazy world of his?

His blood ran cold as Applejack exclaimed, was stupefied for a few moments, and then shoved the folder in his face. He half expected her to point out his secret card but instead, right above his card, Apple Bloom stood proudly to block further shame this day. Well, he was so focused on his card that he hadn't noticed hers. It wasn't a very good card from the game mechanics standpoint but it was a nice foil card and that as all that mattered, and Applejack was tearing up at the recognition her little sister was getting in some small fashion. That was nice for her! Apple Bloom probably already knew somehow since kids loved card games but if she didn't, Valen could only imagine that she would want every card with her in it until she could make a house out of it. She was a silly pony as it was.

“O-oh yes, that is quite nice,” Valen responded respectfully, still somewhat shaken. How could she miss his card? Uggh. Gilded Lilly, filly model fashion star. He looked rather convincing, if he could say so himself. And he did, he did, he did often on account of his success. Thanks to Miss Rarity he had already done mre than four dozen shoots without a single pony putting it all together. That was partially on account of his family and friends not being involved in any way with the fashion world and a healthy portion because of how effective a fake cutie mark could be. The folder soon vanished from view and Valen breathed an audible sigh of relief, pleasantly surprised by how it all came together. The nerdy colt took the folder back and started trotting away, almost walking into sign posts in his joy. It was awesome how something so simple could make somepony so happy, but that was the fun with nerds. “Have a wonderful day, beautiful wonderful Applejack!!!!!”

Valen quickly followed his cousin, happier than ever to be sure that everything was looking on the up and up. “So, where did you want to go next?”

• 1 month later...

The nerd pony walked away, and the two cousins were back on track to spend the rest of their day. Although the book return was eventual, Applejack decided to take an unscheduled detour in the city. The destination? Valen's heart. Truthfully, Applejack had traveled to Manehatten for several reasons. Mostly, time away from the farm to teach her some ways of resting, something she's need for quite some time. But another reason was to get to know Valen. And though Applejack knew Valen more than most of her other cousins, there was still a lot of information about this pony she was not familiar with. And her next task was to dive more into his personality, maybe find some things out about him, that most ponies don't know. And why not? Otherwise, Applejack might as well stay a family acquaintance.

"Let's uh, let's just walk this way." Applejack started trotting down the street side, away from the candy story they came out of. She wasn't sure what she was looking for, but a big enough city to walk through, she would know it when she saw it eventually. And a few moments later, along the panes of windows that displayed each shop's trinkets and wares for sale, Applejack found what she was looking for. A shop by the name The Trend. "Let's go in here!" Applejack pulled Valen by the neck inside the shop, not giving him much of a choice.

The first thing Applejack noticed was that this was in the same theme as Rarity's Boutique. The second thing she noticed? Well, this was not Rarity's Boutique. Though it had some impressive styles and dresses in the forefront, there were several things that just weren't the same as Rarity's brilliant displays. Not really surprising though. "So, Valen. Look at all these outfits." Applejack started looking at some of the formal wear for younger fillies. "You think Apple Bloom would like any of these?" In the back of the room, a couple ponies who were operating the store were seen and heard whispering to each other, pointing at Valen like he was somepony they had seen before.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

For all of the small terrors and flighty sense of panic that hammered him as a result of it all, Valen was enjoying his time with Applejack immensely. Maybe it was due to personal expectations and emotional need more than anything. Bless his parents with Celestia's touch for they were kind and generous ponies, but they were so abnormally busy and devoted to the future of the family that there were indeed days where Valen saw only glimpses and spoke nary a word to them. To a certain extent he could credit that with a certain degree of independence of spirit that helped mold him and shaped how he looked at the world, a different sense of independence from colts and fillies who found themselves under more watchful eyes. They could all be a bit reckless but the more mature form of independence was leashed not because of a worry of punishment but because of a worry of being set back. So yes, they got credit for that. But it could get a little lonely.

Contrast this with how Applejack was. She was warm and friendly, direct and engaging to a great degree. She was a mother as much as she was a sister because of how her life had shaken out and it was this combination which helped form how she interacted with younger ponies. Granted- a little less independence was afforded because she seemed so hooves on and involved with everything. If she had been involved in his life more as he had developed then perhaps he would have more of a standard sense of independence. Maybe he would not have started his career and engaged in a high wire act that brought him a degree of fame and fortune. But, as he felt now, maybe he'd feel a little warmer, a little closer, a little sweeter for having been with her. Today, for all of the small panic attacks that had frozen and then thawed out his functions over and over again like a sleepy unicorn trying to defrost her dinner unsuccessfully, he was having a grand old time with his cousin.

He followed her for a bit and then she pulled him into a store he knew well enough, The Trend. It was one a hundred little shops that fancied themselves a little fancier than they actually were. They had three house designers who were talented but unrefined and relied more on designs they could buy and then replicate, like most shops of the type. True fashion houses scoffed at this but it was standard business and the average customer didn't care. Even Valen, who had more than enough knowledge, didn't quite care. They were kind enough and that was enough for him. He had done two shoots for the store and been paid handsomely and even been offered a date by one of the owners' with her smitten colt, but Valen had ducked that. Hopefully they didn't put it together that he was Gilded. He couldn't tell- he was focused in on a quick job given by Applejack! What would look good on Apple Bloom?

Tough decision. Apple Bloom was stockier than the majority of designs here were made for, a lot more muscle (and some more fat) than a city filly would be used to. Valen investigated closely, his hoof traveling along the edges of some of the formal wear gently as he tried to formulate a response. Her bright red mane was the important element as most dresses would cover the majority of her body, making matching her mane more of a priority. So green or a nice blue-green was in order. She was well built so having something that didn't ride high on her flank was also important. After several moments of muttering to himself, Valen finally picked out a nice long green dress and then a shorter blue-violet dress, nearly covering him in the fabric. “These would be my picks. They should both be flattering enough on her and would match her mane well,” he started excitedly before dropping down a few octaves. That was almost too knowledgeable. “Umm, not that I'd reallly have a clue, though. Just my best guess.”

• 1 month later...

As Valen started sifting through the dresses, Applejack could tell he was subconsciously using her as a shield away from the clerks. She wondered why. "Oh, really? That's interesting, I never considered Apple Bloom's mane color before." Applejack made small talk. She got good at pretending to be interested in dresses. She still wasn't a very good liar, but several visits to Rarity's place trained the apple mare to respond a certain way when addressing fashion. Applejack moved out of the way to let the clerks get a good view of her cousin.

Like a light bulb, one of the mares flipped a switch. She rushed over. "Excuse me, but, are you Gilded Lily?"

Applejack just watched for Valen's answer,and gave a flat smile that looked terrifying similar to the smile she had when she showed Valen how to work the farm.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

"Oh, really? That's interesting, I never considered Apple Bloom's mane color before." 

Heh, well, nopony would ever excuse his cousin for a fashion genius in the same way they'd never accuse him of being an elite farmer. Some skills were simply not intrinsically involved In certain lifestyles. Valen was pleased he could be some help, even if-

"Excuse me, but, are you Gilded Lily?"

Valen was confronted rapidly, more so than he could have feared, by one of the cashiers with an unusually strong eagle's eyes. It was usually a little hard to connect the dots unless he had some makeup on or his mane was done, and even then it wasn't supposed to be that hard. But he figured life wouldn't have been his if it was fair and there he was, caught in the nexus of disharmony as worlds collided and the prospect of his very different lives smashing together and leaving nothing standing became as real a possibility as any other. This wasn't good. From a pure business angle, revealing that Gilded was just a colt to a stranger could cause issues. Word could get out and then the whole career could be shot. All that work and effort down the drain and all because The Trend had to have a pair of adorable and entirely too intelligent employees.

Then there was his cousin. He was deathly afraid of what she'd think. She was as sweet and kind as a colt could ask for but also as honest as anypony that had ever existed. Something this peculiar would no doubt be something she'd frown upon, if only because she didn't like lying. He quickly scanned her face for some input and was a little taken back. Applejack's face was as friendly as ever but that smile- that smile reminded Valen of the first time they spent so much time together, when everything had seemed so fresh and new like a coat of paint on an old barn. Excited to learn about one another, excited to share, maybe a little overeager and aggressive on her part and pensive and demure on his, but nonetheless a special time in his life. Same look. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

And even if it was, he couldn't lie anymore even if he wanted. The cashier had called his bluff. If she had spotted him this easily and quickly, no doubt she'd pierce through any wavering defense he could mount. If anything, the knowledge he couldn't lie, that it wasn't an option, calmed him. If he was screwed, he was screwed and he may as well get it over with. Valen smiled an award winning smile and allowed his apple to settle before speaking. “Oui,” he replied simply and softly, his voice decidedly different and taking on a Prenchian accent as an undertone.

• 4 weeks later...

The other mare rushed over, and the both giggled loudly. "Oh my gosh. Could you sign this. I loved your cover on last month's Neighlon magazine." The mare presented him with a used issue she described, the mailing address on it being that of the establishment they were visiting.

"My little sister just loves you. She wants to look just like you when she grows up. Do you... do you think you could come to her birthday party next week. It would just make her entire year!"

Applejack's smile continued. Although it turned to have a bit more of a smug expression on it now. She found this situation all interesting. Apparently, Valen was a cute orange cousin by day, female dress model by night. She did not intend to make fun of Valen. But she did want to test his limits on what exactly was being revealed here. She spoke semi-sarcastically, to keep him from backing out. "Wow, Valen. A birthday party. That sounds like fun."

ValenOrange1withtext.png

"Oh my gosh. Could you sign this. I loved your cover on last month's Neighlon magazine." 

Yes, that issue. It had been a wonderful shoot as well. He rarely worked with designers outside of Rarity but he couldn't turn down such an offer! To appear in Equestria's premiere magazine for mass production designs was in some ways a bigger deal than being involved in a runway show. Everypony wondered if the clothes made the model or the model made the clothes when a designer was so heavily involved, but when the clothes were standard, everypony knew it was the models who were the prize. Getting the last two days of the week off from school had been difficult. So was staying 'in-character' for four days. But it had turned out better than he could have hoped. Now here it was in all of it's glory and he was ashamed of how looked now in comparison. There was a gulf of difference between how he looked now and how he looked on the cover. Preparing himself for days of fashion work, proper makeup and clothing, the whole shebang- he looked absolutely stunning there. Right now he looked...fine. But really, nopony would say he was a filly. Only Gilded's fame made that connection possible and now somepony would go and think that it wasn't the model or the clothes but the makeup artist that made it work and that upset him. Luckily he could bury such feelings and he smiled as she spoke.

"My little sister just loves you. She wants to look just like you when she grows up. Do you... do you think you could come to her birthday party next week. It would just make her entire year!"

She was really, really excited. He liked making ponies happy. That was why all of the craziness that his life had become had ever even started, when Rarity asked for his help. It was a cornerstone of his personality. But going to a party? Uggh. He wasn't opposed to the idea per se. If this had been any other neighborhood in any other city he'd be more than overjoyed at the prospect, but if somepony from his Academy pierced the veil at a party then he was sunk in more ways than he could count. He had to turn down her otherwise generous offer, hopefully to be made up with-

"Wow, Valen. A birthday party. That sounds like fun."

Oh yeah, as if he could even think of settling down here was Applejack with a semi-sarcastic tone using his real name that was ages away from Gilded Lilly. Both mares had a slightly confused look on their face, painted on by an artist who knew not what she did. Okay, change of tactics. Applejack was being unusual but at least nothing had been blown so far out or proportion that it couldn't be salvaged. He had saved shows in more terrible conditions than this, after all. Still- Applejack was a silly pony.

“Ladies, zis is my good friend Applejack of ze Ponyville, oui. She nickname me Valen becauze of ze apples zat she makes, oui Madame Applejack?” Valen asked with a leisurely paced smile as he took the magazine cover in hoof and the offered quill in her mouth. A few well practiced strokes and he was done. “Zis is for you. I hope zat you have great success here! Zis place is quite, how to say, fetching? Comme les fleurs épanouies,” Valen distracted the first mare for a second before turning to the second, “vat is your sister's name and vhere does she live?” Valen gave thought to it for a moment for a moment, knowing that Applejack was likely going to force him to go to a birthday party even if it was only because she wanted her relations to be as wonderfully friendly as she was. “I cannot make promise but tell your sœur I vould love to!”

• 4 weeks later...

And there is was. Mostly. Applejack wasn't sure what to make of it initially. First, she knew there was something going on with Valen's interests, and somehow it displayed enough for two dress shop ponies to melt at his request. Was he really a fashion model? Realizing the amount of tension that suddenly rose in the shop the moment Applejack used his real name, she decided to start playing along align with Valen's set of rules, which seemed to be to avoid every social interaction that makes things awkward. She tried her best to hide her honesty. "Oh yes, I'm Applejack, and my friend here is the orange in our Apple family. He, I mean she, does a good job wearing dresses and stuff."

The girls didn't seem to be listening to Applejack all that much. Instead they became enthralled by the penmareship of Valen's signature and started to lose feeling in their legs. "Oh thank you so much. She lives at 454 11th Street #48-D. Anytime during the weekend would be fine." The mare started panting and trembling. She could not believe who she met today. Meanwhile the other pony had already safely fainted onto the ground, the signature she got held close to her chest.

"Well, now that that's done, Va..len. I think we gotta go to your next show. Photo. Shoot. Thingy. See ya'll!" Applejack drew her drawl out more than usual as she started walking back to the entry doors, her hoof around Valen's neck as to push him along. The doors opened, the bell jingled a farewell and the two ponies were on the street again.

There was much that needed discussing, if for no reason but than to help Applejack know that she isn't going crazy and just seeing things. She walked without much talk for about a half a city block and then spoke.
"Alright. So. What was that all about!?" The tone of her voice almost sounded annoyed. But she turned her head down to Valen with a loving smile.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

If Valen could have had blush growing any brighter than it was by the time he had finished signing for the two mares than he would likely have looked just like a beet blooming in the sun at the height of its vibrancy. Applejack chiming in was making Valen want to bury himself into the ground beneath the dress shop. She played her part as well as she could which wasn't great and enough hanging hooks had been left that if the two mares weren't too busy going weak in the knees at the thought of celebrity they might ask more probing questions, like why a famous Prench filly model had a place in one of the most well known family trees in Equestria. He finished his good deed for the day and was pulled out by Applejack like she was trying to run off with a dirty piece of laundry.

Back in the street he was pulled by his overwhelming cousin a bit before she allowed him off, his trot matching hers more by the staccato commands of his beating heart than anything else. He wanted to run right about now but she could easily catch him and that would be a bad sight for everypony involved. Besides, it wasn't like she couldn't just ask his parents. They were well aware of certain aspects of his life but not all of them. So there was no escape. He started cursing the inevitability of this moment, the drumbeat of time ending in a terrible and loud pattern of turmoil as the spotlights burned through his defenses and laid bare the inner workings of a colt who was troubled less by who or what he was and more by fear-based decision making. And in this spotlight, all he could do was tell the truth.

Reluctantly.

“...Do I...unnnnnnnnnnnn...” silence for a second. At least she was smiling. It could be worse. Her smile could cure illnesses the world over. He sighed, defeated and low. “Okay. Well. Just know that I didn't mean to lie to you. Okay. Okay then! Well, you see, I'm a crossdresser, a really, really good one. I prefer it that way, makes me feel better. And I'm so good that when Miss Rarity needed a model for show, a filly model, she asked me. I took to the stage, got rave reviews. Ever since then I've had...a career of it, actually. A good one! I go by the name Gilded Lilly. Nopony knows I'm Valen- just a Prench model. The only bad part really is the accent, very difficult to keep it up for too long. Soooo....yeah,” he finished, his voice pitching further and further down into a dead whisper by the end.

• 1 month later...

Valen spilled it all. A chill ran up Applejack's spine. The moment that somepony tells an honest truth and does it with humility and respect always tantilizes Applejack in her soul. She might be the only one who experiences this sort of magic, but she suspects most everypony knows the truth when they hear it. So far, this lecture of her cousin's was the most beautiful thing spoken all day. And even with the heaviness Valen reflected on it, Applejack could even find some traits of her own to relate.

"So you like wearin' fancy mare saddles and evening gowns design to curve to the shape of a lady?" Applejack chuckled, at herself. "Sugarcube, when I was young foal growin' older, Granny Smith kept wanting to put me in bows and dresses because she felt like I wasn't playing the girly role she expected. But when she saw that I could take on some of the colt bullies at school in a fight, she realized that I was more comfortable just fittin' mah own style. Since then, Granny let me wear whatever I wanted, even this here hat. You think I wear these hair ribbons because I want to look fancy? I got tired of tryin' to braid mah hair so I just did the practical thing. What's important is that I am comfortable with what I'm in."

Applejack lifted Valen's head with her hoof. "Once you're comfortable with who you are, you can wear whatever you want. Don't let any clothes mask the beauty of who you are. You can wear the frilliest outfit I'll ever see. But you know what? It doesn't make you any less of a stallion to me. You will always be my little handsome cousin Valen, pretty in pink or covered in mud." Applejack squeezed Valen close to her chest.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen allowed the truth to flee the prison of lies he had so ably constructed those many months of worry and allowed them to find a home in the heart of the most honest mare in the land, a mare he was proud and terrified to call his cousin. Allowing secrets to come out were amongst the most nerve wracking moments in a colt's life. Devoted to the ideals of what made a good pony beyond honesty however, Applejack quickly made him feel at home in the hearth of her most buoyant heart. She related a story about her youth, or more a tale, and it related in some ways. Not all the way of course as it was more socially acceptable for a mare to be a tomcolt or a frilly filly. Due to the great gender disparity in Equestria with a solid seventy percent of the nation being mares, it was considered a bit unusual for a stallion to be anything else other than a stallion.

Not that it mattered to him all that much, as she accepted him no matter what. He breathed an audible sigh of relief. There were still plenty of ponies who needed to buy the lie, but being able to reveal the truth to those that mattered to him made operating that lie a lot easier to do. He could be on the stage and play the part of Gilded all he wanted without feeling guilt, but holding back things about himself didn't come naturally. It didn't come easily. And it never made him feel comfortable or good. Knowing one element of the charade could come to an end was a relief, and- TIGHT HUG! His thoughts were derailed by the tightness of it all and he could feel Applejack's pelt sneak its hairs deep into his nostrils. Yeah, she hugged deep and hard. He struggled for a minute before being able to breathe, and wrapping his much smaller frame around hers for a hug.

“You have no idea how good that is to hear, Applejack,” he replied simply, his words dripping with relief.

Archived