Dragon Age: Pony Origins (Private)

Cainiam

Ponyville, a farm town that was seemingly unimportant before the events at Ostagar. Firstly the army moved through, “borrowing” supplies to support the King. Then came the refugees, now they overflow the small town, and with most of the supplies taken by the army, the remainder are stretched remarkably thin. Desperation isn’t uncommon to see in this small town.

The next day, Loghain’s army marched back through the town, declaring the Grey Wardens traitors for killing King Shining Armor. A bounty, one of the largest ever, was set for their capture, attracting bandits and even desperate locals looking for a score.

The mayor and her own guard have already left the town to their own devices, forcing the Templars stationed at the local chantry to step forward as mediators and protectors to stop the refugees from tearing each other apart. The Templar-Commander, Vigilance, tries to reassure the desperate public.

Travellers overflow the inn, sharing their own tales of tragedy as they drown themselves in the dwindling ale supplies. The chantry has refugees queued out the doors as the sisters and brothers strain themselves to help all they can. The revered mother leading many in prayers for those at Ostagar.

The locals are scared, desperately turning to Village Elder Zecora for guidance and help. She offers what medicinal help and guidance she can, but she can’t even journey beyond the town limits safely any more to gather the herbs she needs.

It is here that the Grey Wardens that managed to survive Ostagar arrive. Their lives owed to Discord’s intervention at Ostagar. Once he healed their wounds to the best of his abilities, he set them upon their way with three treaties to build another army. The tools to form an alliance of Dalish Zebras, the Equestrian Circle of Magi, and the Diamond Dogs of Orzammar. The Wardens set out, their mission simple. Save Equestria from both the Darkspawn and Loghain.

The Wardens look to the town to gather some supplies to continue their journey, and hopefully, recruit some allies to join them to fight against the will of a Tyrant and a Corrupted God.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ponyville inn was full of all kinds of travellers, but only one inspired silence as he entered the place. Most of the ponies present turned to look at the diamond dog as he entered. His axes were still practically dripping with fell ichor as he strode up to the bar and dropped five coppers without a word. The barkeep looked at the coin, then to the rapidly emptying stock, before reaching for a mug and filling it up. He pushed the filled mug back across the bar to the dog who grabbed it roughly, and lifted it up.

"'Ey! Barkeep! Ya just charged me fifty coppers for a taste!" One of his patrons shouted. His friend grabbed his shoulder and whispered something to the yellow earth pony. Meanwhile, the dog took a deep gulp of the beige liquid without caring.

Then the earth pony stood up. "Ey! dog! What makes you more important than me?!" he shouted with a slight slur.

His friend stood up too, the off-white earth pony looking rather flustered. "I'm so sorry about this! He's gotten drunk." The dog still didn't react as he brought the mug up again and took another huge gulp.

"Ey! Ey! Ya deaf as well as ugly!" the patron shouted again as he pushed his friend to the side and drew his sword. "I'm talking to ya! Look at me, coward!" The rest of the ponies in the tavern watched on in silence, all waiting for how the dog would react. He finished his drink with a final gulp, then pushed the mug back over the bar. He turned to face the pony, his face a picture of calmness. Then it twisted for a split second into a fierce snarl as his paw found an axe and he flung it across the room.

The pony looked confused for a second as his sword clattered onto the floor. He looked to the dog's face, now calm once more, then he looked down to see his hoof split open, an axe buried in the middle. Then came the screams. Ponies stood up swords and other weapons leaving their sheaths. The diamond dog took a few steps forward into the centre of the inn, before holding up his paws. "This pony was a fool. I seek a pony who is not a fool to take me to Redcliffe. I pay silvers," he said roughly.

As he finished he bent over to pull the axe out of the pony's leg, who quickly passed out from the pain. Gossan returned the axe to its place on one of his belts and pointed to the off-white stallion. "You. Help your friend. He drink too much," he said with a grin. As the stallion scooped up his friend and rushed out, the dog yelled after him, "Tomorrow, he have quite the hangover."

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Midnight glanced up from her position on the cold ground. The sun was shining right into her eyes, practically blinding her despite having been in the same position for 2 weeks. The cell just outside the town, facing the north.

She'd been trapped in this cell for 2 weeks, slightly more, after her capture. It wasn't her fault, it just sorta happened. But regardless, she was doomed. They wouldn't give her anything, no food, nothing to pick the lock, no guards to steal a key or weapon. Her own equipment sitting in the Chantry, gathering dust as she does.

She had still so much to do! Her personal crusade was years away from completion, and now, after 2 weeks of hanging on, she would fail. She could feel her body shutting down, and now more so. She closed her eyes, she would not last the next week. Her survival was only due to her bloodline, and even that was running low.

She hung her head, gently resting it against the cell door. No matter what way she looked at it, she was going to die, not on the battlefield like she wanted, but by starvation.

"Curse everything..." she muttered to herself, if she wanted to die, it would be fighting. But whatever she wanted was pointless, being labeled a murderer by everypony in the town, what hope was there for her? Who wants the help of a murder?

The scars still stung, and he was beginning to grow annoyed at the faint gasp that he received whenever someone else first looked at his face. All things considered he was lucky, he hadn't been stricken by darkspawn venom or whatever the hell it was that they inflicted upon others. Cold Iron didn't feel lucky though, his once fairly handsome face was now marred by three claw marks going down his face diagonally. The earth pony warrior was momentarily disgusted with himself; how dare he be concerned with something as vain as personal appearance? What of the lives of his soldiers? Good mares and stallions had lost their lives, and he should be there, he was their commander, and yet he had lived, the shame!

Even more infuriating were the ponies who believed Loghain's lies about the grey wardens betraying King Shining Armor. Even in the middle of the battlefield of Ostagar, he had seen the beacon light up, the wardens had done their job, Loghain ran, and the lives of good ponies had been lost because of him. He considered how much a life was worth for a moment, it wasn't such an odd thing to wonder, after all, why had he lived where others had died? Was he lucky? Or did some divine intervention pull him from the icy jaws of death?

If he had been given a chance to keep living then maybe such a chance could be given to others as well. He pondered this as he stared at the nearly dead creature in the cage before him, he studied her for a bit longer, she was one of those bat-winged ponies, a rarely seen breed of pony to be sure. She had the look of a thief if he had to guess, though that didn't make sense, thieving didn't warrant such harsh treatment. She had said something a moment ago, but he couldn't quite understand her, he doubt she was conscious enough to even notice him there, so he decided to make himself known. Cold tapped to cage with a hoof, "Well then......are you sorry?"

Midnight's ear flickered as she heard somepony talking to her. She didn't want to waste the effort opening her eyes, but she did anyway, looking at the pony as she sat in her cell. It wasn't worth what little energy she had left, but she might as well humor him.

She glared up at the Earth pony, but the rest of her body remained still.

"Sorry for what? Sorry that i'm trapped in a cell for a crime i never commited?" She lied, while it was pointless, she had a good shield. When captured, her blades had no blood, after all, she was the weapon. But the Templars came to the scene, a dead pony, another one covered in their blood, even with her weapons clear, she was the only one there. The only suspect.

While she doubted it would help, maybe it would give her some entertainment before she died. She glared up at the pony "So you're going to throw food at me, which would be great cause i'm starving. Or do you want to ask more stupid questions? Not that i'm going anywhere fast anyway"

A small group of Refugees made their way into the small Town of Ponyville. Amongst them limped a mare lad in Brown robes and Leather straps, Her clothing was Plastered in blood from the Battle of Ostagar. Her name was Broken sky. She shifted her Enchanted ice staff on her back. Keeping her eyes low her expression wasnt seen behind her mask. One would imply that She was simply tired, but under that guise she was broken, Sad. She had failed so many back there, she had failed her friend and now he was dead. His body ripe for the picking by The beasts that tore his neck out without Remorse.

She could still see his Loving gaze as it faded, He was gone. Never to return to her side and Protect her anymore. What a sad excuse of a Grey warden she was. Perhaps she should have Let the Darkspawn kill her, At least she wouldnt have to Worry anymore, To feel Useless anymore. Upon Moving she felt her Hind leg burn and sting with the Hole that resided. She had taken an arrow there and Tried her best to wrap it in cloth to keep it Safeguarded from the grime of the outside world. Her mana wouldnt recharge and Nopony in the group had a Lyrium Potion to spare.

Glancing around she took pity on those who were torn apart from what happened. Mothers, fathers, Children, None were spared from this. She adverted her Fire opal eyes from their Saddened faces as it Felt like They would Poison her with their Dispair. She didnt know where to go or what to do. She had heard that The Wardens were branded traitors and A large bounty resided on her shoulders ripe for the taking if one was so inclined to Do so. Let them, it didnt matter to her now. Her head drooped as she limped further and further into town.

Finnaly she Gave up and Sat down near a Tree by the Inn. She placed her staff against the Trunk and Leaned back against the bark.. She needed to catch her breath and get her bearings. Peering around she Wondered if any of her Brothers or sisters had made it to the town as well. Were they hiding from the Greedy eyes of Bounty hunters? Or were they Somewhere else forming a Battle group to move together in a Planned Unit? She didnt even know if she would Be any use to them if the second was The awnser.

Right now she Was more concerned for her leg. She felt faint and Wanted to rest for a while. Reaching into her pouch she shuffled through the contents, past the journal she kept, And the Tome her parents had bestowed upon her. She Found what she was looking for. A small Vial of clean water. Levitating it out before her magic sputtered and Gagged she caught it in her hooves. The least she could do was Clean it.

She bit down on the cork and pulled, the bottle gave a pop as it opened. She Proceeded to unwrap the Wounded leg, Pulling her Leather Hoofboot off and Sliding the robe leg up to show a Hole the size of a gold Piece, Her White fur A crimson hue around the wound. She grimmaced at the sight, they caught her good. Proceeding to Tip the vial, she let the water Pour into the wound causing her to grit her teeth and Squeal in pain. She emptied the vial and dropped it.

She took a Cloth from her Satchel and Gently Cleaned the wound on both sides. Why wasnt her mana Coming back? Was she poisoned? She deemed that a Possability as she leaned back once more and let her leg breathe. She Would rest here for a small whole before She Tried to move again. It wasnt like she was Able to help anypony right now, Hel.l She couldnt even help herself.

Well she certainly had the attitude down, but having a bad attitude didn't automatically make someone a criminal. He pulled out some dried beef from his bag and put it through the bars, "Surely you realize that's hard to believe, I mean anyone in your position would claim they weren't guilty, no one wants to die locked in a cage." No it was clear she wasn't just a thief, but she definitely had the sneaky look about her. All that being said, being left to die by the elements, or even the darkspawn, was a terrible fate. "I was thinking of letting you out...of course I'd have to go get the key first, but before I do I'd like to know if you're worth taking the risk, worth that second chance, if that makes any sense."

It was beautiful, more beautiful than she had ever imagined. She knew it was a bit selfish, especially considering everything happening right now, but Clover couldn't help it. She'd never been outside the tower before, and starring out a tiny window or seeing pictures just couldn't compare.

She'd been in the city for a little under three hours, and had marveled at its wonders the entire time. Sure, the death and sadness made her heart ache, but she just couldn't bring herself to feel only sadness at this critical point in her life. She was outside, and soon, she'd put her plan into action. Just as soon as an opportunity presented itself, she was gone. Away from the Templars guarding the mages, away from the mages tower, away from her old life entirely. She'd finally be free.

And there it was. She spied her opportunity as a large group of refuges wandered past. Carefully, she began to cast a drain life spell, aimed at one of the other apprentices. She felt bad for having to do this, but she knew it wouldn't kill them. She backed as far away from her target as possible before casting the spell. Normally, mages would just create a spell and trow it, since they just needed the basic spell should they ever get into combat. Flair and glitz weren't really a high priority for magic spells. However, she'd trained in secret to learn how to change the look of spells, though it would take much longer to cast them, and take a bit more magic, but she could essentially cast a spell silently and without a flash of light nor a trails of magic.

Once the spell was ready, having taken twenty seconds instead of the typical one second, she cast it at the apprentice, and watched as he began to feel woozy, then toppled over onto the ground. This drew the attention of all the mages and Templars, and she began to slowly back further and further away from the group. However, just before she managed to slip away into one of the dark alleyways and begin her adventure, she heard a scream of agony from behind her. She watched in stunned silence and horror as the apprentice she'd cast the spell upon began to thrash about upon the ground in pain. His body began to convulse and his skin began to blister as smoke rose from it. She placed a hoof over her mouth and the Templars tired to keep the other mages away from the thrashing youth.

There was a bright flash of light causing Clover and presumably anyone looking to cover their eyes, and a horrible otherworldly squelching noise, and when Clover looked back, it wasn't a young apprentice she saw standing there, but an abomination, glowing red and growling at the ponies around it. She brought her other hoof up to her mouth in horror with a stifled squeak, which thankfully was the only noise she made instead of the scream she wanted to make. She began to shake as she baked further down the alleyway away from the terrifying scene before her. She tried to block it from her mind as she desperately attempted to remember her next step, but in trying to ignore what she'd done, it became increasingly hard to do so.

She smacked both hooves against her head in frustration. " Nononononoi! I need to focus right now! I need...I...I...I-I killed him... " Tears began to form in her eyes and her lower lip began to quiver. She angrily wiped away the tears and slammed a hoof into the ground. " NO! No, I can do this. The heroes in my stories killed ponies all the time and they never break down! I just need to be like them! Strong, determined, focused... " She took a deep shaky breath and let it out slowly. She felt a tiny bit better, and figured that was about as much better as she was going to get. She then heard the sounds of combat and screaming coming from back at the sight of what she had done and began to cry again, then turned and fled down the alleyway, never looking back.

She ran down the alleyway, looking for...there! She found a clothesline with clothes still on it. Looking around to make sure nopony was looking, she quickly stripped out of her mage robes until she was wearing nothing but a loincloth. Then, she pulled a few bits of clothing from the clothesline. A tattered pair of loose fitting pants, a vest, and a shirt that had a hood attached. She needed a hood to disguise her horn, otherwise her plan would never work. She wrapped what few possessions she had in a bed cloth, an idea she'd gotten from one of her stories where a daring rouge had stolen weapons and secreted them out of the castle by wrapping them in a long rug and stating that he was the carpet cleaner, she strapped this to her back with some of the cinches and belts from her robes, then threw her robes in a nearby barrel after soiling them in the muck upon the ground.

She starred at the robes in the barrel for a few moments. " ....Goodbye old life. " She said and wiped a few more tears from her eyes, then she carefully made her way to the end of the alleyway. Making sure her hood was up before taking a look around, she peaked out from around the corner and tried to find that group of refuges from earlier. She spotted them a little ways away, most of them having stopped to watch the fight caused by her actions. She though she saw a way to slip in with them by taking a few more back alleys that looked like they should connect.

Slipping back into the alleyway, she moved at a brisk trot, trying not to appear to scared for her life, until she encountered a sleazy looking stallion standing in her way. She was almost to the group! They were just ahead of her, past the stallion down the alleyway. She attempted to move past him, only for him to block her path. She tried again, and again, he moved to block her path. Her eyes began to dart about in worry as the stallion's smile grew. And too late she heard the hoofsteps behind her.

She was suddenly lifted off the ground by a powerful stallion behind her. She tried to struggle against him, but he was too strong. They were both chuckling evilly, and she couldn't risk using her magic now, not so close to the main street! Especially since the Templars were no doubt looking for any rouge mages who could have been the cause of the disturbance earlier.

" P..please! I have no quarrel with you! Let me go! " The smaller stallion before her who'd blocked her path chuckled, a disturbing wheezy sound, and patted the side of her face with one of his dirty cracked hooves. " Aw, ya 'ear that Tater? She don't 'ave no quarrel wit us! " The stallion holding her laughed as well, a deep rumble that she could feel in her body, being pressed up against his stomach as she was.

The smaller one grinned maliciously and began to prod at her chest, slowly going lower with each poke. " Now, wuts a nice young girly such as yerself doin' back 'ear in tha gutters? You lookin' fo sum fun girly? " Clover's eyes widened and she struggled harder, but that only made the bigger stallion, Tater, hold her tighter. She gasped as he squeezed hard enough to make it difficult for her to breath. The cruel little stallion before her stopped grinning and raised an eyebrow in shock, his eyes going wide as he finally prodded at her crotch. Jumping back, he let out a cry of surprise. " Wut!? Wut da fuk ARE you? Sum sort oh cross dressin' freak? Tatre, let em go, this one's got a willy! " Tater made a noise of disgust and dropped Clover onto the ground roughly.

As she stood up slowly, shame on her face, the small stallion grabbed her chin and forced her to look him in the eyes. " Yer lucky boy, most oh us scoundrels don't roightly care who dey fuk, so long as it get em off. Me an Tater 'ear are moar genl' mently dan most. " He let go of her chin and the two stallions sauntered off in search of other prey. Clover squeezed her eyes shut and tried her best to to break down in the alleyway. She let out a few sobs before finally pulling herself together enough to stand and make her way towwards the group of refuges who were luckily still standing near enough to the end of the alleyway so that her joining them wouldn't look too suspicious.

As she tried to blend in with the crowd, she let out a single laugh, which sounded more like a sob. She realized that at least she looked more like she belonged with these refuges now. Dirty, shamed, and having lost everything. Yeah...she fit in perfectly now, she though with bitterness. Her plan was going perfectly, better than she could have hoped. And so far, she hated every moment.

( this is the same group of refuges that Broken Sky was with earlier. )

Broken sky Had been resting her eyes soundly, her leg throbbed with her pulse as she Rested. It seemed all was well, birds chirped and Refugees Began to get comfortable in what little there was. Her Ear twitched as a sound came to her, Chaos. She opened her eyes to see a Abomination had taken over a Pony. She winced as the fight rolled over and soon the situation came to a rolling halt. The demon was Vanquished but Not without a cost. The templars who fought it had taken a few hits but not to bad to the point of death.

She hissed at the fact she couldnt even Heal them. With a snort she lowered her gaze again and gave a cough as She shifted. "Dam templars Washing away the colors of Mages and Breaking them to be nothing but Dark figures..." she Growled. She still held Discust for them, Taking her to that Cursed Magi circle and Making those years of her life dull.

Giving another sigh she Moved her leg to be more comfortable. Her horn glew as she atempted to tap her Mana, Once more it Crapped out and Sputtered To nothing. "Why..." She mumbled lowering her head and watching the ground Quietly. "Without magic...im nothing....Im nothing even when i have magic....." She sighed blinking her one exposed fire opal eye. She closed her eyes and Let rest take her for a while longer, Listening to the birds chirp. "Just a little more time, I should have mana soon." She assured herself.

It didn’t take too long for the inn to return to it’s normal, almost sullen silence, though there was a little bit more conversation scattered throughout the room now that the diamond dog had actually made a move on the boisterous stallion from earlier, most of the other ponies were probably feeling safe, as long as they refrained from making such comments, they would be fine. Though a few had actually gotten up and left, following the steady trickle of blood out the doorway, lest they suffer the same fate.

But there was one extreme oddity to the average reaction to the dog’s actions, over in the far corner of the room sat a young stallion, idly strumming a lute as his gaze remained fixed on the dog as he all but chased some of the travelers away. Slowly, the stallion gathered up the hat that he had left on the table, snorting at the fact that it contained all of three coppers. He stuffed the coppers in his saddle bag, before placing the green archer hat on his head, straightening out the single red feather the stuck out of the side, and making sure his hair was nice and neat. He made his way over to the dog, giving the larger species a warm smile.

“Well done good sir. I must say, that stallion’s behavior was really getting on my nerves. You’ve done most everyone here a favor by ejecting him from the inn.” He spoke, sitting on the stool at the bar next to where the dog had left his empty mug.

“Well, I don’t suppose you’re here of your own accord, correct? And if you don’t mind my eavesdropping, I heard you say something about needing somepony to take you to Redcliffe… Well seeing as I’m not a fool, and I myself do feel the need to shake the dust of this two-bit town off my hooves before those Darkthings come swooping in a massacre the lot of us, I’d like to offer my services to you.”

Tune gave the dog another winning smile as he patted the seat that the dog had been sitting in moments before. “Here, why don’t we take a seat, share a drink, and we can discuss specifics? I have some associates who were supposed to meet me here and take me away, but it’s apparently too dangerous, so I wouldn’t mind having someone to trot alongside me… err… though I suppose you don’t trot now do you?”

The stallion pulled a small bag of coins from a length of cord around his neck, counting out forty pieces of copper and handing it to the bartender, who looked a little sore from having to accept less than usual for the drinks, but another look at the dog sent him scurrying, returning moments later with two mugs of ale. The young stallion thanked him profusely, before taking a small sip, hiding the small face as he tasted the liquid. Not as nice as he was used to…

“Oh… where are my manners? My name is Lucky Tune, though you can just call me Tune, if that suits your fancy. And you are?” He offered, sliding the extra mug in the dog’s direction.

Grym didn't know if there was a word what she was feeling right now. It was some sort of combination between the third most sublime rage she'd ever felt and absolute exhaustion. The battle at Ostagar had went completely south, the Wardens did their parts they fought and some died for it, which made the failure even more infuriating. A failure that could have been completely avoided if not for Loghain and whatever plans he had. She didn't care that Shining Armor was dead, and the only reason she even cared that Loghain betrayed them was because it threw the battle, meaning that she'd essentially wasted her time at Ostagar. And as for the Warden who died... What about them?

Then there was Discord. He saved her, yes, but she never asked for that. The old unicorn had only made problems for her. First by denying her release for this black pit called life, then by dumping all of the Warden's business into her saddles, both literally and figuratively. She'd given her the treaties necessary for the Warden's to request aid from the Dalish, the Diamond Dogs, and the Mages. In one felled swoop, the fate of the entire nation and the handling of the 5th blight was left to her. It was a bunch of responsibility. Why would she want to save a world that hated her and allowed an organization like the Templars to subjugate so many simply because they were different? She knew why, and it wasn't good enough. But she hated the Dark Spawn just as much, and if she was going to continue fighting them she'd need to use the papers to raise an army, not only that but Loghain needed to die, his betrayal could have been forgotten or at the least, ignored, but he took it a step further, declaring the Grey Wardens as the king's killer, thus putting Grymrose herself in danger of constant attack. That was enough to earn the mare's wrath.

Speaking of continuing the fight, she wasn't the only Warden rescued by the old coot. Broken Sky was the other mare's name, and Grymrose had never seen a more pathetic waste of fur and flesh in her life. She had limped off the moment they entered town, Grym wasn't really paying attention, but seeing as they were the last two Wardens that she was aware of, they needed to stay together. Worst case scenario, she'd be a nice mid battle snack to boost her staying power.

Currently Grym found herself searching Sky among the town of Ponyville. For the most part the brigandine clad mare ignored the refugees moving through the town and focused her energy on finding the cowardly excuse for a partner. She caught sight of a group of Templars and their pet mages making their way through the town. Apparently, they had some sort of trouble with one of the circle magi, seeing as how the pony fell to the ground and before long the Warriors were drawing their weapons. The entire thing pissed her off, but she couldn't tell if it was how eager the Templars were to murder the mutated mage, or the fact that those unicorns tolerated being controlled. The mare didn't even bother offering any aid, instead choosing to continue her search. She didn't even give the presence of the anti mages another thought. She wouldn't hide what she was. Buck them, let them come for her, she'd gut every single on of them. The crossed swords resting in their harness on her back assured that.

Luckily, Sky was nearby, resting under a tree and looking pathetic. She too had witnessed the fate of that circle mage. For a moment, Grym wondered what was on her mind, but the reaver quickly killed those thoughts. She approached Sky, clearly unamused that the mare had chosen to take time out of the day to smell the roses. "What are you doing?" she asked harshly. "Quit wallowing in your p.iss soaked robes and get up. Our involvement in the Blight isn't over until maggots burrow through our flesh. We've got work that needs to be done and crying about our scratches isn't beneficial."

Gossan waited in the silence for a moment, but nopony came forward. This was a waste. The dog moved back to the bar and threw down another five coppers. The barkeep didn't even hesitate this time. Another mug of ale was in the dog's paws in a moment. Gossan took a deep draught, downing the entire mug full, then returning it to the bar. He would never get a buzz from this swill anyway. It was barely worth the five coppers he parted with. The tavern slowly began to buzz again with the sound of many talks, Gossan could pick the word "dog" coming up a lot more now. A few eyes looked his way then to their weapons, but none seemed interested to act. More were interested in just leaving. He took no pleasure in ruining their evenings, but he couldn't suffer a fool. He would look elsewhere for someone heading that way. There were a lot of desperate ponies in town.

He moved towards the door when he heard someone hailing him, and turned to see a smirking pegasus. One look at the pretty boy with his foppish hat and cacophonous instrument was enough to make him disengage. "He ask for it," he growled, before moving to go around the pegasus, but the pegasus blocked his path. He gave him a look that demanded an answer, but the pegasus peeled off and moved over to the bar. Gossan weighed up his options for a second, before grunting and following him over. He hoped this pegasus wasn't wasting his time. Gossan also couldn't suffer time wasters.

The pegasus tapped an empty stool as he offered him a drink. That was more Gossan's language. The dog sat back heavily on his stool and looked to the still yammering pegasus. "Get to point," he said slowly. The barkeep gave him another stare as he parted with yet another ale that he could have sold for a lot more. Gossan stared back, and the barkeep suddenly decided now was a good time to check on the other patrons. The pegasus introduced himself as Lucky Tune. A stupid name. All ponies had stupid names. If he was serious about his offer though, he might as well humour him. "Gossan," Gossan said simply, before downing half his ale in one go as he considered Tune's carefully worded pitch. He wanted a travel companion, a fighter. Gossan wasn't a bodyguard for hire. "I go to Redcliffe. You find new escort there." Gossan finished off the rest of his ale in another mouthful before setting the empty mug back on the bar. "I protect you. You show way." With that said, Gossan stood up again without waiting for the pegasus to finish his drink and walked to the door, he then turned to check that Tune was following.

Broken Was breathing softly as she tried to get her mana to Restart on its own naturally. She felt herself In a very calm state of mind as she rested, Her leg continued to throb with her heartbeat.

When she thought she was on a good track she felt something bad coming her way. "What are you doing?" A Harsh toned Voice came to her which made her Eyes snap open. Her One visable eye traced up and landed on Grym. She felt her heart sink, She wasnt the most Pleasureable Mare to be around. She was always grouchy around her and Apprehensive to Broken whenever she could be. No matter how kind she tried to be she was always shot down. She was one of the reasons she Moved to rest for only just a moment just to get away For a small while.

"I..I..." she stammered

"Quit wallowing in your P.iss soaked robes and get up." Grym Barked at her. She Finched and lowered her ears.

"I Didnt mean to...I just wanted to rest..." she squeaked scanning her angry features.

"Our Involvement in the Blight isnt Over until Maggots burrow Through our flesh. We've got work That needs to be done and Crying baout our scratches isnt Beneficial." Grym Growled.

"I...*Squeak* I...Im sorry Grym...." She Muttered Lowering her eyes and Sniffing. "I didnt mean to Make anypony angry..I just needed some rest..." She Whimpered. She grabbed her staff and struggled to stand with Help from leaning on it. Her Legs were shakey but she was able to Stand now. She had to leave The weight off of her Wounded leg. She kept her sight off of her. She didnt know how many spells she had casted on her and Countless others to keep them Healthy during the battle. She felt like She Didnt matter though.

"I...Ill follow you..." she Whispered Looking at her angry face, If her Face wasnt covered it would portray Sadness and Stress. She tried her best with everyone. To try and Love and tolerate any and all she came across. Most of the time it was thrown back in her face. She felt alone, Now that Her best friend was dead. Grym didnt need her but she constantly brought her along. Why?

Midnight has assumed the other pony would leave, just like all the others. But she was shocked to see him, not only having stayed, but actually giving her food. The second it went through the bars, Midnight had her teeth in it. It didn’t matter to her how it was cooked, it was food and within seconds, it had been eaten.

She felt her body shiver, it was only for a short time, of that she had little doubt. But it felt great to finally have some energy. Starvation for the past 2 weeks has, naturally, drained all of her energy. She put on a smile as she looked at the stallion, despite the fact of the chaos, the blight, her in a cage, she enjoyed to see another pony who was trying to look after another.

“You know. We’re more alike than you know. Looking after ponies that are incapable of looking after themselves. I’ve spent the last 3 years on the run, slaughtering bandits and thieves, the common criminal. No doubt no different to how you see me now” She sighed, the chances of him getting her out of the cell looked decent, but what after that was a mystery to her. She’d prefer to die in the cell then live a slave, but he wouldn’t know that. “3 years wiping bandits and scum of the planet, and I die in a cell like one of ‘em. Maker’s justice, they call it. Whatever they call it, it’ll mean the same thing, my death..."

Cold listened to the mare speak, he didn't know why, but he believed this mare. He moved a bit closer to the cage, "Well what if somepony wanted to let you out? Where would they go to find the key to this cage of yours?" He certainly didn't want her to die of starvation, or be left to the elements, or maker preserve us, the darkspawn. If the disastrous events at Ostagar had taught him, it was that the people of Ferelden wouldn't survive if they stood alone, much as they all bickered and disagreed, they all needed each other if the country was to survive the blight.

Grym's eye twitched as she watched the mage climb to her hooves. She knew that she wasn't being fair, but the world wasn't fair. To her or the Wardens. Still, the way she was treating Sky was unnecessarily harsh. She never reciprocated any of the mare's attempts at friendship, but wasn't outright venomous towards her either. And now here she was, basically yelling at Sky, forcing her to move. Sure, Discord healed them up a bit, but she'd be lying if she said that she was 100 percent healed. Her body still ached furiously and the gash over her left eye would leave a nasty scar, if it wasn't for her own healing powers and Sky, she'd likely be dead. Sky's was just a mage, a pony with such low constitution probably shouldn't be doing much of anything in her state. Sadly, time was not a liberty they had. Not only were they grey wardens, but they were both unicorns. There was no way for them to truly hide here. Either they hide the fact that they were wardens and possibly fight the templars, or let it be known that they were wardens and hope the templars hated the blight more than they hated mages, in turn opening them up for attack from bounty seekers.

Sky standing there, trembling on unsteady hooves as she choked out pained and frightened responses drove home exactly how cold she was being. Everything had come crashing down so quickly and Grym was letting her angry poison thoughts and actions. While it was true that she wasn't particularly close to any of the wardens, they all still fought hundreds of Darkspawn together, flank to flank. She would stop to pay her respects at some point, but right now they just didn't have they time right now. Grymrose snorted, her fellow warden maybe a coward, but she had her uses. She turned away from Sky.

"I'm angry, but not at you. This entire situation is... very unfavorable," Grym said, taking a few calming breaths. "It was wrong of me to vent on you, but surely you understand why we cannot rest here." She looked over her shoulder to make sure that the mare was still standing. Grym pointed towards the inn. A congregation of Refugees was milling about in front of the structure. "Come, I have an idea of where we need to go first, but we should get the lay of the land before we make any decisions."

The mare started trotting, not even waiting for Sky, though she moved much slower than she could have. Her head way held held high, not once thinking of shying away or hiding her horn. Absolute confidence was painted across her face as she surveyed the refugees she waded through. The moment ponies noticed that she was a unicorn, they started giving the apostate a wide berth as she made her way to the inn's door.

As Gossan turned back around, he would see that the young Pegasus hadn’t moved from his seat, and though he was staring at the diamond dog, he made no effort to follow him, instead he swirled the poor tasting ale around his mug before taking another sip, not quite sure why he felt the need to do so, but he did none the less. “Calm down friend, we have some time before the blight gets here, and I just spent twenty coppers on this mug. I should be allowed to drink it.”

He took another sip, before pulling a small face, clearing his throat as he stood up from the stool, leaving the mug half full. “Though… I’m not sure this watered down swill can even be called ale… No offense sir.” He said, as he got a dirty look from the bartender. “If you’ll just give me a minute, I have to run upstairs to my room and get my traveling gear. So if you wouldn’t mind, I’ll be back in a wink.” The pegasus turned around and headed towards the back of the bar, where there were steps that lead up to the rooms that the inn rented out. Third room on the right, the stallion pulled the key from his saddlebags and turned it in the lock, letting the door push open into the room before he followed it, kicking it closed with his back hoof.

Now, Tune did keep all of his things in specific places in his bags, and since he was wearing them, one might assume that he was already packed to go, but alas, in his line of work, there were certain tools that one shouldn’t carry around with them at all times, for being searched by the guards while one has a set of lockpicks, metal eating acid, and sleeping powder would usually lead to a stint in the local jail.

The stallion pulled up the pallet that served as his mattress, flipping it over so that it revealed the small slit that he had cut into it when he arrived, several loose pieces of straw hanging from it. He ignored that, and reached inside, pulling out his tool kit, several fire hardened flasks with small pictures scratched into their surface, a few tightly tied pouches, and his short sword. Not the most comfortable lot to sleep on… but neither was a jail bed.

After packing away his tools, clipping the sword to his waist, and checking his appearance in the silver mirror that he carried with him one last time, he left the room, returning down the stairs and tossing the key back to the innkeeper, approaching his new companion. “Right Gossan, we shall get going. To Redcliffe! As fast as we can, as I assume you have other places to be afterwards.” He smiled cheerfully at the diamond dog.

Broken Sky kept her eyes glued on Grym as she moved. She assured her that she wasnt mad at her but mad at the situation that had transpired just a while ago. She had a point however that she couldnt just rest now and not do anything. Broken got a few breaths in to calm herself and her throbbing leg. "Okay...your right..." She whispered to her quietly as she limped after her giving slight squeaks and whimpers as her leg begged to have rest.

She felt however that she appreciated her appology and took it fully. She felt her head float like a feather for a moment or two as though a Veil was lifted from her eyes. She closed her eyes and felt that her body was Returning to its normal status, The arrow's Plauge was Lifting from her it seemed. Although she didnt have nearly as much mana as she needed to cast her healing spells it was quite reassuring that after awhile she would be able to again.

She stopped right behind Grym and kept her gaze low, not speaking to the mare as they reached the door.

Clover needed to move. The group of refugees she was hiding with had begun to thin out more, and the ponies around her had begun to give her strange looks after realizing they didn't know her and she hadn't traveled with them to the city.

Her eyes darted about beneath her hood, finally resting upon the local Inn. Many ponies and other beings were milling about its front entrance, and she figured that would mean there were ponies inside it just as tightly packed. Perfect!

Clover broke off from the group and made her way across open ground, hearing her heart pound in her chest as she tried her best to look casual as she got closer to the front entrance. She let out a sigh once the door was withing reach, but just as she was reaching out her hoof to open it, she felt a hoof upon her flank and froze, her eye's going wide. She was then roughly pushed aside and staggered back a few feet only to loose her footing and plop down upon her rump.

She looked up from under her hood and her breath caught in her throat. She felt her heart skip a beat as her eyes shrank to pinpricks. The pony before her was muscular, female, and a unicorn to top it all off. She had a much smaller pony with her who was also a unicorn, but Clover barely paid her any attention at all. She tried to say something but no words came, she only managed to open and close her mouth wordlessly as she felt blood rise to her cheeks...and in her loins.

Her face was now bright red from a mixture of arousal and shame, but still she could do nothing but sit and stare at the most beautiful pony she'd ever met. It was then that she realized the pony had touched her on the flank, and her mind went blank and she stopped breathing all together. Sometime during this mini panic attack, Clover's mind registered that the pony grunted at her and opened the door for her self and her companion.

After a few more seconds, she finally gained enough clarity of mind to stand up and try to brush the dirt and mud from her clothing, to little effect, and to squeeze her hind legs tightly together to try and hide her arousal as she too went to open the door to the In and stepped inside.

She looked around cautiously, hoping for a glance of the stunning mare, but couldn't find her among the crowd. A thought occurred to her as she stood in front of the door, and that was that she had no money. In fact she had nearly no possessions at all! Such things weren't really encouraged in the mages tower. The door opened again, bumping her in the rear once more and forcing her to move deeper into the Inn. She found a nice dark corner to sit in wit ha view of the front door, remembering that was the preferred place to sit for most of the daring rouges in her stories, and pulled her limbs in closer to her body as she tried not to think about all the crazy things that had happened to her today, and to also wish for the tent in her pants to go away.

Broken sky noticed a mare as Grym led her into the Inn. Her coat was sea green, her eyes that of blue skies. Her mane and other features were near impossable to pinpoint but she could tell she was looking at somepony. She tried to figure it out but before that was possable she felt her leg give a shooting pain. Whimpering and adverting all attention away from the mare she stumbled heavily.

"Maker curse it...." She whispered. They were within the Inn but she could go no further for the moment. In her mind she knew she needed to mend the leg fully before it got infected. She couldnt cast magic here however as that would bring unneeded attention and problems. She got an idea. She tapped Grym on the shoulder. "I need a moment...just a small one please....when im done i promise i wont leave your side." She said in a avoiding appologetic tone. She had trotted off with much effort to hide her problem and nearly tumbled in her staggered gait.

She needed a quiet spot, secluded from the eyes of many. She didnt wish to pull attention to herself than she needed. She made sure to look as unfaultered as she could when she made her way through the crowd. "Just look like your going to the little mare's room...." She thought to herself.

She found a spot near the back of the inn, a few barrels sat there. More than likely they were empty grog containers awaiting pickup by whomever the barkeep got his supply from. This is where she could rest and not be seen by anypony, or so she hoped. She sat down behind them and breathed deeply trying to get her mind flowing. Her mana had returned just barely enough for her to cast a Healing spell upon herself. With a few more checks to see if she wasnt watched she closed her eyes. Her mane lit up where her horn was covered mostly. Her body glew very faintly as her mana was put into the weak spell. The leg gave a stinging sensation as the hole began to mend, The bone becoming smooth where it was scratched and the muscle remending like cloth.

However she ran dry when she got to the coat. It left the wound looking more like a scrape than a major wound, It felt like that too as it didnt hurt as badly anymore. She gave a sigh, "It will have to do..." She whispered before placing her hoofboot back on and sliding her pantleg back down.

She peeked over the barrels and scanned the crowd. "Good...nopony saw me." She whispered as she made her way out and adjusted her mane to hide her small horn once more. With that completed she trotted out into the crowd to find Grym once more. When her Mana was back again she would make sure to heal the gash on her forehead when she could.

Midnight had to admit, this wasn't what she expected from him at all. She had her suspicions, while not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth. No pony does anything without personal gain.

"Well, first option would be to get the lead mother of the Chantry to give me pardon. But given the fact she locked me in the cell, i'm doubtful. However, there is another option. In the Chantry, behind the bookcase nearest the window, will be a black bag. Inside that bad, may or may not, be all of my equipment. Inside said equipment, a device that makes quick work of locks. You get me that, i can get out of this cage"

She looked at him, he had to be a warrior, his equipment, his stance, his aura. But the question came to her of why he wasn't in the army that passed by. Whatever the reason, she still had 1 more question to ask.

"Don't count me a fool, but i know ponies all too well. What are you wanting to get out of me, in exchange for getting me out of here?"

He stared for a moment, practically staring through her, his mind straying back to Ostagar. He decided that rather than say anything, he'd show her; Cold reached into his bag and pulled out a small sigil, one that was usually clipped to the front of somepony's armor, most could recognize this as the standard of an officer in the kings armor. He made sure she could clearly see it, then gave a sad nod as he put it away, "I shouldn't be alive you see...but for whatever reason I still live...perhaps we all need a second chance." This was the last thing he said before trotting off towards the chantry.

As he walked in he began looking for the bag, time was of the essence so a lengthy conversation with the revered mother wasn't an option, he knew her well though, so she would forgive him, even if she required an explanation later. He found the bookcase near the window, making sure he wasn't too obvious in moving it just a bit so he could see behind, it didn't look like there was anything back there, but he looked a bit longer and...yes! There it was, he picked up the bag and nonchalantly trotted out, hoping he hadn't been too suspicious.

He dropped the bag near enough to the cage that the mare would be able to reach it, "I trust this is the correct bag?" He smiled a bit, she most likely hadn't expected him to come back, but he was good for his word.

Gossan stared flatly at his new travel companion as he refused to move. "Why wait? Better ale in Redcliffe," Gossan said irately. The pegasus simply stirred his drink in response, and Gossan could see he clearly wasn't going to leave. The thought of just dragging him out briefly flashed across his mind, but it would be foolish to make him bitter for so little reason. A bitter guide would be more liable to lead him astray after all. Gossan glared at Tune for a moment, before returning to his seat. He pulled out five more coppers and dropped the on the bar, then rapped it loudly with a knuckle. The barkeep, who had been at the other side of the bar stopped mid conversation, and hurried over to refill his mug once more.

The dog took the mug in his paw and drank most of it down once more. Really it was more out of habit than anything else. You sat down in an inn, you got a drink. You have a drink, you drink it down fast. You're out of drink, grab another. Gossan grunted in amusement as Tune finally made a comment he could get behind. "Swill fit for pigs," he added, and the barkeep just shook his head. Tune announced his intention to gather his stuff, which was music to Gossan's ears. "Be quick," the diamond dog said curtly, before finishing his drink as he watched the pegasus headed off into a back room.

Gossan looked around the room again as Tune disappeared, seeing if there was anyone really of note. Then the door opened, and an actually interesting traveller entered. She stood tall and proud, her eyes glaring around the room as if daring anyone to pick a fight with her, just so she could enjoy pounding them into the ground. Then he realised why, she had a horn protruding from her skull. The mark of a unicorn. He'd been on the surface long enough to know that if she wasn't wearing Circle colours, which she wasn't, then she was an apostate. That made her an enemy of the Templars. Not that he cared at all. Magic wasn't even a threat to Orzammar. Not like a blight. He noted another pony hiding in her shadow, but he quickly ignored her when he saw how meek she was.

Gossan considered calling her over. She probably fought at Ostagar, why else would anyone who carried themselves like she did be in this sink-hole of Equestria. He absent mindedly drank down the remainder of Tune's ale, when he heard the jangle of a key, and turned to see Tune throwing one to the barkeep. It looked like it was time to go. He had a duty. His travel companion certainly seemed excited about the prospect of being underway as well. "Redcliffe," he said simply with a nod as he got to his feet.

The once conversation laden lobby, now fell mostly silent. Sky had slipped away from her, vanishing into the walls like a ghost. I was probably for the best seeing as how Grym doubted that the mage could handle the attention that she would likely receive from being in with her. As expected, her presence commanded the attention of nearly every patron. Conversations derailed from their original topics were replaced with murmurs of "apostate" and "maleficar". The age old jabs, and ignorance of the common heated her up. It took everything she had to hold herself back from forcibly silencing the ponies around her. One stallion was even brave enough to suggest calling the templars, but Grymrose shot him a glare cold enough to freeze an active volcano. For a moment, she thought the stallion would lay a few brick where he sat, but he seem content to just sit and shiver in his new found appreciation of silence.

Her eyes briefly met those of a diamond dog. She saw a bit of something in him, but couldn't quite place it. His presence topside was already strange enough; she didn't have time to unravel a stranger's mysteries though. Barmaids and other help, veered out of Grym's path as she strode to the counter. Sitting down on a bar stool, she tapped on the counter in an attempt to garner the stallion's attention.

He was busy cleaning a glass, but managed to glance up just long enough to say, "We don't serve your kind here."

Her nostrils flared. Such a blatant display of insolence. Her horn for barely a fraction of a second, but it was more than enough to wrap the barkeeper's glass in a soft magenta glow and shatter it, leaving the glittering shards to clatter to the ground. "I suggest you find the time to serve me before I lose my patience and I crush the bigotry out of your thick skull. I just want a little information, don't make me tear this place apart for something that would only require a few words."

The look in her eyes said that she wasn't bluffing and her damaged armor and blood stained blades show that a scrap or two was nothing to this mare. "Fine, I'll talk to you--"

"--Then I'll be out of your mane," Grym interrupted.

Glaring at her, he asked, "So, what do you want to know?"

"Redcliffe; what are the roads between here and there like at the moment?"

"A Maker's dang catastrophe. Bandits, wild animals, darkspawn, and their corrupted ilk run the roads around the town, you'd need an army to get anywhere. So do us a favor and go out there, get yourself kill maleficar." His words came out laced in venom.

Grym smirked darkly, staring into his eye. "In due time," she responded. "So a two mare group would be suicide?"

He nodded, confirming.

Grym slammed her hooves against the counter and growled. After taking a few deep breathes her horn started glow softly, causing the barkeeper to duck under the counter top to avoid her wrath. By the time he came back up after realizing that nothing had happen, she was gone. Nothing but a single gold bit left on the counter marked her visit.

That bit of information was a big blow. The last thing she wanted to do was bring more travelers into this and convoluted the situation, but she couldn't see any other way around it. Standing in the middle of the lobby, sighed. "I need to get to Redcliffe," she called out boldly, addressing everypony in the room. "Now, I know 80% of you are bucking cowards who would sooner willingly accept the taint if it would keep the darkspawn's claws off of you, than fight and cling to your lives. I'm not talking to those wastes of feed. I'm talking to the warriors and the travelers, I'm talking to anypony who isn't content on waiting here for their death. And rest assured, death is coming if the darkspawn aren't handled. So want... no, I need the aid," she frowned deeply at the word. "Of anyone willing to travel to Redcliffe, I have business there. Business that could drastically shift the outcome of how this blight plays out."

Grymrose felt a little sick inside. Not only was she basically begging these ponies for aid, but she was acknowledging that she wasn't strong enough on her own. Her and Sky wouldn't be get far with just them, so she left it up to the ponies here to decide how difficult their travels would be. Her eyes scanned for anyone who looked like they were going to take up her offer.

Clover felt a little thrill in her chest. There she was again! The strong attractive mare strode into the center of the room, presumably from the direction of the bar. How Clover missed her there, she'll never know.

Then she spoke. Her voice was strong and commanding, and it made Clover tremble from a plethora of emotions. When she asked for aid, Clover didn't even think nor contemplate the result of her actions, she simply stood up and strode forwards enough for her to be seen by the mare.

" I'll g- " Her voice cracked, causing her to blush deeply, but she cleared her throat and tried again. " I'll go with you. " It was at this point that her brain caught up to her actions and she very nearly fainted, realizing everyone was now looking at her, too. Her knees were shaking slightly and she gulped audibly, feeling the sweat begin to form upon her brow, but she stood tall, awaiting the mares response.

A tiny voice, both in volume and stature came from her side. Turning slowly, she faced the mare who had taken her offer. She was a fragile little looking thing. Grym had no idea what drove her to step out and confront this challenge. She stood there, shivering under Grym's stare waiting for her judgement. The warden wanted to tell her that this wasn't going to be some summer trot, that this wasn't a vacation and to go home, but something told her that it wasn't that simple of a situation.

She watched the crowd's reaction to the volunteer. They scrutinized her harshly, not a spark of familiarity or concern for this mare came from the patrons; she was a stranger to them. She didn't live here, Grym realized, her face unchanging as she turned her gaze back on the pony in front of her. What she wore was pretty random, just a pulled together outfit that just got the job done. Most of her face was covered as well, obscuring her from view. All that Grym could see was a faint blush on Some kind of fugitive perhaps? It was unlikely. Whatever she was, it was clear that she wasn't welcome here, and she didn't want to be here. Plus, she stepped out alone. The first to test the waters. She had heart and that could carry a pony far.

"If that is what you wish. I am not in a position to decline your help; so I won't tell you about the ways that the darkspawn could maul you, or how you could succumb to the sublime suffering that is the taint," Grym informed her.

Archived