Need help with pony heads!

As the title states, I need some help with drawing a ponies head. This includes the mane as well. For some reason, I can draw the body just fine, but the head is always the rough section for me. I'll have an image up later, but for now could someone please offer a handful of advice?

One of the best things I can suggest is to reference the work of an artist who you feel does it well. Try to emulate their work until you get the shapes down, and then start applying your style to it.

Here is my attempt. Sorry for the ridiculous resolution. The way I sketch and draw is nearly the same for paper as it is on a computer tablet... only I use big sheets of paper that can't really be scanned.... ;-; Lanky arms and jerky and shaky wrist do that to you.

These are only a handful, and mostly at my best... I should probably try working more on eyes and the three fourths view, and expressions... and manes. It looked more hideous at first... till I sort of figured out where the eyes were actually supposed to be located. For some reason they are near the center of the head, closer to the front and just slightly under.

attempt_at_pony_heads_by_tangletailpro-d7i9thx.png

If I currently had a computer I could use my drawing tablet on, I'd be able to just redline over your examples here to kind of show you how to modify your lines.

Instead I'll just provide what I find to be the best examples. Sophie Cabra is probably my favorite pony artist. Her style gives a clear idea of the compromise between cartoon and actual pony anatomy, and how to draw and position your lines so they look good and convey the picture you want to convey.

Here are a couple of examples of her art specifically featuring character positioned with 3/4 view heads.

http://sophiecabra.deviantart.com/art/Royal-Salute-361322848

http://sophiecabra.deviantart.com/art/Smile-387933891

http://sophiecabra.deviantart.com/art/Soarin-Soaring-367217826

http://sophiecabra.deviantart.com/art/Ready-Set-Fire-358413623

If I currently had a computer I could use my drawing tablet on

I didn't say I don't have a computer. I said I don't have a computer that I can use my drawing tablet on. I own a Chromebook, not a PC. My drawing tablet isn't compatible with my Chromebook. Gimme a few months and I'll have access to a computer running Windows again, and then I'll be able to use my drawing tablet again.

Can't do it with a touchpad or mouse, sadly. I'm no good at art without a pencil or pen of some sort, thus the drawing tablet. Even for my pixel art I use my drawing tablet since it's more comfortable to hold a pen and concentrate on placing individual pixels for hours on end than to use a mouse and concentrate on placing individual pixels for hours on end.

If you still want some help/advice after I move and hijack Diomedes' computer, I'd be happy to redline over some of your stuff to give you an idea of how things should go. Until then, all I can do is toss what I hope are good examples at you. ='D

I'm afraid this is also not an option. I lack access to a printer, and don't have a red sharpie anymore. The local library is only open while I'm at work, so I can't even print there.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

This one's... looking better... sorry for the clutter in the background. I was practicing today and this was probably my best result so far. I had a vision of what I wanted, but I couldn't put it fully down to paper. This got pretty close. I was trying to make a pony with a hair closer to the looks of Dr. Horrible. Only really noticeably from the front view, not the side. So I just did full side to see how far I have gotten, Other notes... the hoof is messed up... I know. It should be bulging outward, not inward. Thinking to much of human anatomy.

I've also been playing with drawing hair and manes. Found a tail design I think would fit nicely for Java later... given his behavior and work enviorment. I think it's fair to say his tail will be disheveled after getting caught in gears so often, he decided to take a hatchet to the fur, and wrap it so he can keep it safe. Not an uncommon practice for workhorses I assure you.

next_attempt_by_tangletailpro-d7iy8g0.pngnew_canvas_by_tangletailpro-d7iy9mc.png

Tails are hair, as opposed to fur, but yes it looks good! The only thing I'd say for the side view is, on stallions at least, lengthen the muzzle a bit.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Archived