Why is Sweet Apple Acres in AJ's hooves?

NightmareMuffin

I've been wondering this for a long time. In many episodes, AJ says something to make it seem as if she's the one in charge of keeping up the farm. In "The Ticketmaster" and "the Grand Galloping Gala", she states that with a ticket to the Gala, she'd be able to sell their apple products to drum up business for their farm; fixing roofs, and plows, and granny Smith's hip, and just earn a lot of money for the family.

Now, i can understand why granny Smith and Apple Bloom arent suited for running the farm and taking charge to to these things, but...why Apple Jack? Big Mac is far stronger and knows his limits, unlike Apple Jack, so I wonder why these duties aren't his and why he doesn't seem to be the main owner of Sweet Apple Acres.

Well, Big Mac does have responsibilities. His injury in Applebuck Season started AJ's whole 'imma do it by myself' thing and messed her up. The thing with Big Mac is that I don't think he'll willingly take any spotlight, even if he deserves it. Applejack is much more of a face, much more talkative, much more fun-loving, and much more attractive. Combine this with the fact that Equestria is a female-centric society, and you have Applejack being claimed as being a pony who does all the work (but she really doesn't).

Big Mac could probably compete in strength events at rodeos, but he doesn't like the spotlight.

Big Mac certainly does his share of work around the farm. He just prefers to be the silent partner, although we've seen him handle business (with Filthy Rich) as well.

As for ownership of the farm, it probably seems like it's all Applejack because she's the most visible, but I would imagine it's owned jointly by Applejack, Big Mac and Apple Bloom (with Granny Smith currently holding Apple Bloom's share in trust until she's of age).

No, it isn't. It appears as though Applejack does all the actual business side of things alongside her labor. All Big Mac does is labor. Whether it is because of his attitude or capabilities, Big Mac does not run the business side of things.

• 1 month later...

Well, while it can be implied that Applejack's responsibility is keeping the farm up and running, I think it would be safe to say that she and Big Mac are equals in that matter, kind of like co-owners of Sweet Apple Acres. At least, that's what I think.

Archived