Java's Studies of Art! [Looking For Collabs!]

moonshineTheleocat

Inspired by Muddies scribbles I decided to make a studies board. In hopes of getting better! Or maybe not.

This Forum won't just always have ponies. But it'll get there. For some reason I can art, just not art ponies. Yet anyways...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discovering Color, and looking for Style

So first one up... this one was my first work with digital painting... took only thirty minutes. Really it's a study, I was trying to see how colors mixed in photoshop, as well as what kind of brush I wanted to use. This one used a blocky chalk brush, and had no underpainting. Given that most of my traditional artwork used Pastels... I was pretty familiar with the brush.

ghostly_blob2_by_tangletailpro-d7na7ba.png

Another study. However in complete. It's an apple. If you can't figure that out, then I HAVE FAILED THEE! I was a bit looser in this one, and kinda was thinking about how I wanted to start painting later things. This one used a black and white underpainting. No real blacks or whites. Basic round brush.

sample_3_by_tangletailpro-d7na40u.png

These are really impressive actually. The shading is very very good and I knew the bottom picture was an apple instantly. The little white dots are a great touch too. Don't sell yourself short, so far these look great. :)

I can never get close to that! XDD

The method isn't to hard. It does take a little bit of time if you didn't have any traditional art background.

These are really impressive actually. The shading is very very good and I knew the bottom picture was an apple instantly. The little white dots are a great touch too. Don't sell yourself short, so far these look great. :)

Thank you :D though the apple isn't finished yet. I'll work on it when I have time after completing my summer class home work.

Update on the apple Study. I had a little fun with it, and got carried away. Note. I can't tell what it looks like on other people's monitors. I have two different monitors. One that sort of looks correct to me, and one that tends to calibrate warm.

sample_4_by_tangletailpro-d7nf926.png

• 4 months later...

I'm back at it! Got a little better I think.

Looking at it now... I noticed that there is a huge problem with contrast. It's to dark, and doesn't have enough light pulling it in. Not to mention it's lacking atmospheric back light. Oh well...

Did learn a few new tricks however. And my strange work process...

Solids I tend to start with a dark tone of my base (shadows) as the block in. And add everything on top.

Liquids I tend to start with my base. Add darkest colors, and then lights.

On a side note... I did try to lower the size of this... but apparently the forums BBCODE is not standard.

material_practice__cave_stone___no_reference__by_tangletailpro-d86ck82.png

SECOND NOTE:

Anyone Looking to collab on some art? I can't draw worth a dang, but I am getting better at Digital Painting.

Archived