Season 4 opinions and Season 5 wants

Okay this is first my opinions on Season 4 and what I am looking forward to in Season 5.

Starting with the beginning. The first two episodes were really good but the time travel thing kind of confused me on how they where abel to get the time period perfect and all. Besides that it was good. Now the rest of the later ones were decent and a few stood out to me. The Bats! Episode just due to the fact in the end Fluttershy still had a fang. The Pinky Pride mainly due to the fact they had Weird Al do a voice. Now just on to the finale I cannot describe the level of greatness it holds. In my opinion I think it was DHX, Hasbro and Luaren's best work yet on Friendship is Magic. from bringing back Tirek from Gen 2 to the whole plot was great. Discord betraying them I kind of saw coming because I never trusted he was really reformed. his thing with the Cucumber sandwich thing made me think too much of Prof. Pickle from Sonic Unleashed though. Maybe since I was doing a LP on it the same time it was released or just the fact I am a Sonic fan. On the subject of Sonic related things the Seven key thing that occurred over the whole season and the Rainbow Power transformation made it feel a lot like the Seven Chaos Emeralds from the Sonic franchise, could be since next to a brony I am a Sonic fan next or the fact that in media 7 seems to be a big number in the amound of important stuff. But I think the battle between Twilight and Tirek was above all hands down the best. For starts when Tirek blows Golden Oaks to bits the look on Twilights face gave the "shiz just got real" vibe. The whole fight seen looked like something out of Dragonball Z however but it still was a great fight.

Now on to what I want in Season 5. I think they could bring back some ideas they left open in other seasons.Such as having to remove the Elements again to fight say something else. Or maybe do something with the end of Season 4's Bats! Since Fluttershy still had the fang as I mentioned earlier it can bring a lot of possibilities. Like say Twilights spell to fix everything. If I have learned anything from other media that has magic its that unless you're real specific on what you need it will back fire someway. For example maybe the spell took away the apple craving but it kept the Vampire Pony part. That could work with the fang still there and all. Maybe an Episode where Spike actually does something for once that is helpful. Or an episode where Spike does something stupid and the mane 6 are stuck cleaning it up.

I know I am not an animator or part of the MLP staff I wish I was an animator though but I digress. Now with hopes a good trailer for Season 5 may be revealed at Bronycon next month. But I have also heard some rumors about an Equestira Girls 2 but I don't know much about that haven't looked into it. Anyways please share what your ideas are and what you think on mine and the whole possibilities for Season 5. Personally with everything they have left open in other seasons I think at this point the possibilities are near endless. I have some high expectations for the upcoming My Little Pony Friendship is Magic releases I hope I am not disappointed like I was with Sonic the Hedgehog 2006.

Season four opinions in brief:

1. Princess Twilight Sparkle - good setup episode. big on intrigue and good for setting up an overarching plot. Not incredibly standout on its own as an episode.
  2. Castle Mane-ia - very funny episode. Has all characters featured and uses them actually quite well. Stand out episode, though not an absolute favorite.
  3. Daring Don't - love this one. exciting, fun and presents interesting new lore and ideas into the canon.
  4. Flight to the Finish - was initially lukewarm on it, but it grew on me. Pretty good Scootaloo episode, if not as standout as Sleepless in Ponyville.
  5. Power Ponies - above average Spike episode with some good level of humor and some really fun visuals. Not amazing, but enjoyable.
  6. Bats! - it's uneven to the point of being completely broken, but it still somehow kind of works just because the things in it are great. The song is catchy as hay and Flutterbat is awesome. It has issues, but it ends up being Fluttershy's most compelling episode of the season.
  7. Rarity Takes Manehattan - exceptional Rarity episode. Great new characters in Coco and Suri. Love the song. Love the Rarity. One of the best of the season.
  8. Pinkie Apple Pie - fun episode. Song is amazing. Probably the most successful and true feeling Apple Family based episode yet in a lot of ways, and it had a lot of funny too. very nice.
  9. Rainbow Falls - mediocre. Starts weak. Feels kind of contrived. Does misguided things with the Wonderbolts as characters. Most of the latter half is good though. recovers well, and Derpy was hilarious.
  10. Three's a Crowd - Discord as an unabashed troll is amazing. Cadance bonding with Twi in just an ordinary episode is also awesome. Song was fun. Worm fight was cool. Places very high among the episodes of the season with me.
  11. Pinkie Pride - this one just made me happy. Weird Al + lots of music + really great Pinkie story = one of the best of the season easily.
  12. Simple Ways - probably the funniest episode of the season for me. Rarity and AJ were both hilarious. Rarity looked good no matter how bizarre and ridiculous she got. Though the "romance" thing might have thrown some people off of it, I think the way it went in the end made it all good.
  13. Filli Vanilli - the songs were okay, I guess, but seemed kind of empty to me. I might have appreciated it more if it stayed a capella the whole way through. the episode itself was pretty routine and predictable though. Not a real favorite of mine.
  14. Twilight Time - pretty fun and some good moments. Not bad for a CMC episode and I like seeing Twi as a mentor for them.
  15. It Ain't Easy Being Breezies - terrible. I've said in many places on the forum why.
  16. Somepony to Watch Over Me - very good Apple sisters ep. Starts out typical but amusing enough and then it gets surprisingly adventurey with AJ and AB outwitting a chimera while AJ wears sexy boots. Good stuff.
  17. Maud Pie - in a lot of ways my favorite episode of the season. Maud is thoroughly hilarious and awesome and the best new character of the season easily. Her and Pinkie's relationship is also really sweet I think, and the lesson the other five learn I think is nice.
  18. For Whom the Sweetie Belle Tolls - clever. I really love this one conceptually for pairing a jealous Sweetie Belle with Luna. That was just smart. It was well executed enough too. Any episode that makes Rarity look so good can't be bad. ;)
  19. Leap of Faith - another real favorite of the season. AJ's best episode. I feel for once she actually learned something, and it was a mature lesson delivered well. New Flim Flam song is the sort of song that doesn't seem like much at first but grows on you and is actually quite catchy. Funny, endearing and just really well done.
  20. Testing, Testing 1, 2, 3 - similar to Leap of Faith, this one had a rather mature feeling, well handled morale, and it was more for Twilight, the teacher even then it was for Rainbow Dash. Pinkie's rap was insanely cute and hilarious. Dash's best episode in a long time and one of the best of the season easily.
  21. Trade Ya! - Forgettable and uneven. Only the Fluttershy and Dash plot really interested me.
  22. Inspiration Manifestation - dark magic Rairty? so much yes! Spike focus maybe drags it down a little, but it was still pretty awesome.
  23. Equestria Games - disappointing considering the build up. Had some good moments. Average Spike episode.
  24. Twilight's Kingdom - pretty awesome, really. Can't complain about any of it very much. You'll Play Your Part is one of the best songs of the season.

General Observations:

• new writers are generally pretty good. Josh Haber seems the most talented and consistent, though Noelle Benvenuti only gave us one episode and it was kinda perfect. If Larson was somewhat missed, most all the writers still managed to step it up and come up with good stuff.
  • Applejack and Rarity had the best seasons overall in terms of quality episodes and development.Twilight was solid too though, and RD was at least average. Fluttershy had by far the worst season. Pinkie was excellent in her starring episodes, but was sometimes poorly handled outside her episodes.
  • The general lack of Celestia in the season displeased me. We need more of best princess, even if it's only in small parts.
  • Season 4 might be Daniel Ingram's strongest showing yet. So many great songs this time out. It was awesome
  • Seemed to embrace its fantasy and adventure leanings just a little more than previous seasons. Bat transformations, giant worms, chimeras dark magic and a big epic fight with all powerful centaur to cap it all off. That along with hints of new lore makes me cautiously eager to see what it takes on next season.
  • Not enough raridash.

Season 5 wishlist:

• I hope for more clarification as to what Rainbow Power enables and how it differs from EOH besides having transformation sequences.
  • I'd like to see the ponies go to new and exciting places. Expand beyond Ponyville, show us Equestria and lands beyond.
  • Perhaps we could see some more supporting players return. I'd like to see Gilda again. Some of the key bearers from Season 4 could also be cool; I can't expect them to get Weird Al again already, but Coco would be nice. Also Maud Pie. Lots of Maud would make things amazing.
  • Celestia focused episode. I just want to see it happen.
  • More Cheerilee. I think more could be done with her. More Zecora too. She was pretty invisible in Season four.
  • A Spike episode that is actually really excellent.
  • A Fluttershy episode that isn't in someway frustrating.
  • Lots of new, awesome catchy pony songs for me listen to.
  • Lots and lots of Raridash.
  • More than anything though, I just want to see that show stay fun, funny and entertaining to watch. That, more than anything else, is what is important, I think.

I'm pretty much gonna do what Rarity did here...

Seaon four opinions:

1 (and 2). Princess Twilight Sparkle- Very good, a great way to start off the season. A lot of the questions the fans asked after season 3 were answered. Just good overall :)

3. Castle Mania- A good slice of life episode. I liked how the mane cast were split into pairs, and were interacting with each other although they didn't know it. It had a good Scooby Doo feel.

4. Daring Don't- Daring Do is real?! Didn't see that one coming. I don't really mind this though, actually I think it was cool. Good character development for RD.

5. Flight to the Finish- One of my favorites of the season. It tackled a tough issue and handeled it really well. Also a really good song comeplete with a montage

6. Power Ponies: References! References everywhere! Seriously though, I liked this one. It was action packed, funny, and good Spike episode. There were a few plotholes, but the episode was okay nonetheless

7. Bats- Well this episode was... different. Good different though. I find it funny how they can have a more scary themed episode in well... My Little Pony. I really did like this one though. Good animation, Flutterbat, and an excellent moral. It also had the best song of the season :D

8. Rarity Takes Manehatten- Another good slice of life episode, and a great conflict for Rarity. Not much more to say here

9. Pinkie Apple Pie- Holy fudge that song is cathy! I mostly liked this one because it was simple- no overarching plots, no ending gags to throw us off, just a simple story. Reminded me of the eps from season 1 actually. But that song... so catchy... :???:

10. Rainbow Falls- Ugh. Where do I begin? Well, this is definitely my least favorite episode of the season. I mean, theres too many obvious plotholes here that just make this episode confusing. Why does Fluttershy, the shy one, want to be in an event that all of Equestria would see? And why Bulk Biceps? Shouldn't he be doing a strength competition or something? And why can ponies only participate in one event? You're telling me there were no ponies besides Flutters and BB that could participate? Why are the Wonderbolts such jerks? It just goes on and on. At least it was a good conflict for RD though, but thats the only good thing I can find about this one

11. Threes A Crowd- Ah Discord... you troll... This episode was okay. There were a lot of little things I liked about it. Like the fact that we're seeing more of Cadence, and how Cadence (and Twilight) interact around Discord. The song was good too! More references, yay!

12. Pinkie Pride- Favorite ep of the season. And its not because of Weird Al (I havent really heard any of his songs before) Everything about this was good- The animation, the conflict for Pinkie, the songs, the entertainment value, it was just... amazing.

13. Simple Ways- I honestly don't remember much about this episode. It was boring, and not memorable. Theres noting obviously bad, but also nothing obviously good. So its pretty much mediocre. (except for that one scene where Rarity and AJ were switched personalities and were just going back and forth at each other, I found that hilarious)

14. Filli Vanilli- This episode... frusterates me. It could've been amazing, in fact it is sort of amazing. A great way to deal with Fluttershy's stage fright. But then... Pinkie Pie. Why? Why do you have to make her cry? Was that really necessary? Ugh. I thought the song was just okay, but everything else was good. Just... Pinkie...

15. Twilight Time- Another great slice of life episode, and a good character growth oppurtunity for the CMC. And I really do love Twilight here. She is so eager to teach people things, and is definitely how I would've expected her to be around kids. Speaking of kids, the CMC were definitely in character here.

16. It Aint Easy Being Breezies- You know that other thread I have about this episode? Yeah, go check that out for my opinion on this one

17. Somepony to Watch Over Me- I like the concept of this episode its just... AJ was way out of character here. Actually, I think this wouldve worked a lot better if it were Rarity and Sweetie Belle. I mean, it would be okay if Rarity went over the top. It just felt awkward seeing AJ go overboard. And Rarity fighting a chimera would be comepletely bad@ss XD

18. Maud Pie- Holy fudge was this episode funny! It took on a different style of humor- dry humor- and made it work perfectly. Also, a great conflict for Pinkie and the rest of the mane six. But the humor is where this episode definitely shines

19. Leap of Faith- My opinion on this is a lot like my opinion on Simple Ways. Nothing outright bad, just nothing outright good either. I guess it was an okay AJ episode though. Makes sense since they were written by the same guy

20. For Whom the Sweetie Belle Tolls- A really great episode, kind of like a combination of Sisterhooves Social and Sleepless in Ponyville. I love Luna's role here, and her interactions with Sweetie. It was a good Christmas Carol storyline (you were forced to read that in school too, right?)

21. Testing, Testing- There were a lot of little things I liked about this episode, espically in the animation. I loved Twilights role, it showed more of her nerdy side. But my favorite part about this one was the well handeled moral. Although, i just find it odd they're teaching it to RD. I mean, its a kid moral, why not teach it to the kid characters? It would make a great Scootaloo episode

22.Trade Ya- I think this ep was trying to be like Castle Mania, and it failed. They spent way too much time on the Fluttershy/RD plot, and the other plots didn't have enough time to be good. It was also a little repetitive

23. Inspiration Manifestation- An amazing conflict for Spike. Something about the book being in a secret chamber in the castle kind of throws me off... but maybe thats just my nitpicky self XD Also, Rarity went insane, and I loved every second of it :P

24. Equestria Games- It wasn't what I expected it to be, but it definitely wasn't bad either. Another good conflict for Spike, with a great moral at the end. (But it seemed really unrealistic that RDs team got second. But thats just another problem Rainbow Falls caused...)

25/26. Twilights Kingdom- An amazing way to end the season, Tirek was an awesome villian, and this episode just had a lot of good moments.

Overall, I think this was my favorite season, right next to season 2. Of course it had its fair share of mediocre and bad episodes, but the good episodes really shined above the rest. Lets hope season 5 can be amazing too. Speaking of season 5...

Smiley's season five wishlist:

• The CMC get their cutie marks. I love these three now, in fact they remind me of me and my two really good friends. But their characters have grown so much, I think its about time to happen. Not all in one episode, of course. That would end up having Magical Mystery Cure pacing. Nah, we need at least three seperate episodes for them. And I don't know why, but I think Applebloom should get hers last. But they need their marks. Come on Hasbro, MAKE IT HAPPEN
  • Worldbuilding. We got some in season four with the rainbow falls and wherever the heck that chimera scene took place (dang, why do the mediocre episodes have good worldbuilding?) But I want to see more of Equestria. Worldbuilding is always good in my opinion.
  • What the heck is with the Rainbow Power? Is it the Elements 2.0? Does it have something that sets it apart from the elements? Answers please!
  • I want to see more of Twilights Castle, it just interests me (unless you want to bring the tree back of course, but I don't think thats really going to happen)
  • An amazing Spike episode, possibly with a backstory
  • More of Twilights duties as a princess. I mean, she is the 'princess of friendship' now right?
  • I want too see Hasbro try more new things with the animation. It really impressed me in season four, and I hope they can do even better things with the visuals
  • More of Twilights nerdy side :P
  • More character development for everyone
  • Some cool adventure plots, with a couple of action scenes
  • Finally, i just want a couple of great slice of life episodes. I believe that is what the show has always been best at. Maybe a couple episodes with conflicts between two characters, or some with a conflict between the whole mane cast. Just come up with some wacky situations!

Phew, that was a lot. Welp I got nothing else to say here, so heres to a great season 5 everypony :)

17. Somepony to Watch Over Me- I like the concept of this episode its just... AJ was way out of character here. Actually, I think this wouldve worked a lot better if it were Rarity and Sweetie Belle. I mean, it would be okay if Rarity went over the top. It just felt awkward seeing AJ go overboard. And Rarity fighting a chimera would be comepletely bad@ss XD

Hmmm... as much I would have adored the chance to see Rarity fight a chimera (possibly wearing those same boots), I really don't think I'd agree that this plot makes more sense for her and Sweetie given their relationship. There's far more distance between Rarity and Sweetie, I think. Sweetie lives with their parents; Rarity has, perhaps for some time now, lived on her own at her boutique. Sisterhooves Social showed a Rarity who really didn't understand how to connect with her sister and considered her a handful as a result. The Sweetie episode this season was a more natural progression in their relationship, with Rarity now going out of her way to please Sweetie, unaware it unintentionally provoked her envy, but I wouldn't be able to see Rarity believably as a protective guardian for Sweetie at this point. Applejack and Apple Bloom, on the other hand, have an incredible closeness that's quite obvious, and given what is implied to be their parental situation and the fact that AJ might have played a pretty big part in raising Apple Bloom to this point, it makes sense to me that Applejack might have had to slip into a more maternal role with Apple Bloom before, which is what is reflected in the episode. It was perhaps taken too far, but I think it was just for the sake of comedy. Besides, AJ greatest fault is her stubbornness; if she's decided to follow a certain behavior, I can kind of see her continuing on with it even past the point of ridiculousness.

Hmmm... as much I would have adored the chance to see Rarity fight a chimera (possibly wearing those same boots), I really don't think I'd agree that this plot makes more sense for her and Sweetie given their relationship. There's far more distance between Rarity and Sweetie, I think. Sweetie lives with their parents; Rarity has, perhaps for some time now, lived on her own at her boutique. Sisterhooves Social showed a Rarity who really didn't understand how to connect with her sister and considered her a handful as a result. The Sweetie episode this season was a more natural progression in their relationship, with Rarity now going out of her way to please Sweetie, unaware it unintentionally provoked her envy, but I wouldn't be able to see Rarity believably as a protective guardian for Sweetie at this point. Applejack and Apple Bloom, on the other hand, have an incredible closeness that's quite obvious, and given what is implied to be their parental situation and the fact that AJ might have played a pretty big part in raising Apple Bloom to this point, it makes sense to me that Applejack might have had to slip into a more maternal role with Apple Bloom before, which is what is reflected in the episode. It was perhaps taken too far, but I think it was just for the sake of comedy. Besides, AJ greatest fault is her stubbornness; if she's decided to follow a certain behavior, I can kind of see her continuing on with it even past the point of ridiculousness.

Yeah... now that I think about it Applejack and Applebloom are a better choice for this plot. But still, something about AJ in that episode bothers me, but I'm not really sure what. Maybe she's just not in character or something. I don't know.

But you know what else I didn't like about that episode? The moral. Or at least the way it was executed. "I don't need to baby you anymore because you went off by yourself to a dangerous place with dangerous creatures." Yeah, something tells me thats not a good way to portray the moral for the kids...

• 2 weeks later...

Everything was good in My Little Pony Season Four, up until the S4 finale, where Twilight became this overpowered monstrosity to combat Tirek, and her friends became disposable objects who might as well be murdered to demonstrate Tirek's power. Hell, people liked the Twilight/Tirek fight, but hated the Rainbow Power and Rainbow Castle. In saying this, they're implying that Twilight's friends should just die for being useless, and that Twilight should save the world on her own like the god -- if not Mary Sue -- that she is.

As for Season Five, I hope they set up a situation where the Mane Five try to save Equestria without Twilight, just so that they could become heroes in their own right to compensate for getting kidnapped, disempowered, and made disposable for the benefit of Twilight's story-arc.

Things for Season 5 that I want to see:

• Better explanation of the Rainbow Power. I agree with Rarity that there should be more about it. Otherwise it'll be another Sailor Moon/ Captain Planet monster destroyer like the Elements were. Maybe having to learn to control newfound powers with each pony or some principle that guides using these powers. Maybe even one time when the powers at their most needed time fail, having the six to think of another way out of their situation without such phenomenal power.
  • I also agree with bringing back some important characters like Maud Pie, Coco Pommel, and one of my favorites Iron Will.
  • Other lands needed to be explored. We hear about places like Las pegasus, Saddle Arabia, and Maretonia but haven't been there. We did get to see Manehattan again which I was pleased but we need more.
  • Trixie needs to return only this time perhaps her becoming a reformed villain.
  • More of Celestia. I think she still needs to be in the picture despite Twilight being a Princess.
  • An episode where a pony fails badly. Not one where they fail but through some deus ex machina are redeemed but one where they fail and there is no reconciling except time. This would be a powerful lesson about how sometimes people and ponies can fail but how they cope with such an event and learning from their mistakes is what matters. (Hasbro if you're reading this, Ive got episodes worth of ideas in my head. Just give me the word and I'll be off to Vancouver).
  • Maybe a little more story of Celestia after banishing Luna and how she coped and what she did those thousand years.
  • An episode where we see Fluttershy's, Applejack's and Scootaloo's parent situation. Time we close that loose end.
  • Possibly Scootaloo learning to fly finally?
  • More Zecora, maybe an episode where she gets sick and ponies who she has taken care of now are left to take care of her.

Archived