"Well, I've got some food, yes." The bartender said carefully. "I trust you have the bits for it?"

"The bits? Oh yes, the..." Ician trailed off. "... Ah, right. Well, sorry, but if you'll excuse me for just a... few hours. Or days. I'll be back."

He walked out to the middle of the tavern. There were a few patrons around, but not very many; Ician supposed that he shouldn't expect many more, considering the size of Riverwood. He mixed a few words around in his mouth, being almost unwilling to spit it out, but he eventually announced to those in the bar, "Mercenary for hire. If anyone has a task that needs doing, I'm your pony. For a price."

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darkness had followed the group into the fort and leaned against the wall as he watched the trio go about there business, the mare had done quite a number to herself. He felt no pity to her though, she did it to herself, she tried to run away from the fight and flee, she turned her back to the group, she was a traitor. He turned to check if Luna had followed them in or went on her own way, he hoped she joined them for now, her assistance would be very nice.

(Luna is long gone)

"D-don't, carry me. I can take care of myself"

When Midnight rolled out of his arms and said that, sky would sigh. He was happy she was alive, no point trying to save a dead girl. Sky would kneel down so he could talk to her on a more eye to eye level. Sky would extend his hand to her

"Midnight, let me help you, i know that you can handle yourself, though your hurt. Let us help" Sky would say, waiting for her response before making his next action.

Midnight felt Cross perform magic, and she felt something inside of her re-align. Probably the bones that had gone snap when the dragon had practically crashed into her.

“R-riverwood…” She stuttered in response to Cross’ request of where to find a proper healer “There should be one there…”

That’s when Sky knelt down to her, almost patronising her! She wasn’t a kid, she didn’t need to have her hand held like a little child afraid of the dark! She stood up, if slowly. She rested her left hand on her stomach, trying to mitigate some of the pain.

“I said...I’m fine. D-don’t treat me like some kid who’s lost their toy, i-i…” She felt her legs shaking slightly, obviously not healed yet. She raised her hand, resting it on Cross’ shoulder and using him as a resting place, putting most of her weight, which wasn’t much, on him.

She turned to him “T-thanks for the healing…”

Cross helped midnight up, letting her small frame rest on him, he mainly held her back to make sure she didn’t do any further damage to her spine, (because if her backbones broke then only Akatosh would be able to help her.) otherwise he let her try to get her bearing where she could.

He listened to Sky and midnight argue and thought

they definitely have a history, and care about one another. Its good I suppose. They will look out for each other and make my job easier.

no problem.” He responded to midnight “tis an honor to aide.” He added.

so we get out of this keep and flee to the town of Riverwood? Sky I expect you will not abandon her or I.” he said turning to sky, it was then that he noticed the batpony in the corner

strange fellow, he was with us in the cart, he clearly served the Alicorn Luna. Perhaps he can help us

and you ..um bat-pony? I’m sorry I didn’t get your name in all this commotion, can you help us reach this town? We’ll take all the help we can get, I see no reason for us to disband now. if we can survive a dragon together then I think if we all stick together than there wont be much else that can challenge us!”

Ician paused in his position and waited for someone around to say something. All the tavern patrons seemed to glance away from him one by one, their attention span having expired, until one of them stood up, walked to Ician's side, and pulled him away.

"You're a new face." The one who took him aside said. "That's good. I need someone new. Are you just passing through town?"

"What's it to you?" Ician asked. He never liked giving away information without knowing what it was for. He figured the curt answer would be in keeping with his supposed identity as a mercenary, too.

"I need someone who'll leave town soon, and never come back."

"Then I'm your merc." Ician replied.

"Good, listen. I'll pay you a little gold if you'll just do this." He handed Ician a letter. "Deliver this to the girl in the Riverwood Trader. Her name's Camilla. Tell her Faendal sent you, alright?"

"Okay, fine." Ician nodded cautiously. "Consider it done, Faendal."

The person shook his head. "Nah, I'm Sven. Now do your job, and you get your gold." He dangled a little purse in front of Ician's face. "Ten bits, just for that. Ain't nothing much." With that, Sven left his side and returned to the tavern.

"Hm..." Ician glanced around, then unfolded the letter and began to read. He winced. "Oh, I see. Love triangle, must be. Let's see what I can do..." Humming, he strode down the street until he came to the right building. "I think this is it." He knocked twice and pushed open the door, entering.

Darkness listened to them bicker as the healer seemed to just assist in quiet, that was good at least some other pony had there wits about them. He mentioned about being happy to help and how he agreed about heading to Riverwood, then he turned to Darkness and spoke to him. He made his ideas know and was quite forward about what he was getting at, at least that was good, but he seemed to think they survived the attack which made him smirk.

"Survive the dragon, well aside from her obvious self inflicted injuries, yes we are alive," he said, "but survive.." he laughed, "this is a dragon we're talking about, trust me when i say that this was only the beginning," he said, "Now as for acompanying you and this 'group' I shall aide thee, whether you be following Lun or Celestia," he said, "for now," he added, "I will not go against Luna, and if the time comes that I am summoned to her aide, I will leave"

“I said...I’m fine. D-don’t treat me like some kid who’s lost their toy, i-i…”

That would make sky feel hurt. All he was trying to do was help her out, why was she being so denying of it.

"Midnight, please, let both of us help" Sky would say again as he looked at Cross. He could tell that he would be helpful in getting her out of here, whether she liked it or not.

"I said, i'll be fine. Sure, i'm a little beat up. But i don't need you to pity or treat me like i'm defenseless. I can take care of myself, I've been doing it for a while. I prefer to work alone, I learnt the hard way to look out for number one" She kept her weight on Cross, she didn't feel like she would be able to keep herself up, yet. Sure, she wasn't trying to be ungrateful to their help, but after what had happened to her with her brother, it was clear only she mattered.

Cross gulped at the batponys’s ominous response. But then when he said he would help he gave a respectful nod to him

“thank you. I see great power within you, your sword and your companionship is much apreciated” cross said to him honestly.

he did see a lot of potential in the pony, he was strong, clearly clever of wit enough to survive with them ... if a bit cynical.

Having recovered some magica he did another healing hooves on midnight. It was good practice and she definitely needed it.

He did feel a bit humiliated, here he was a explorer, a paladin. But he was unable to help someone in need.

He and midnight walked forward and said

“so let our quest begin! … how do we get out of here?”

Ician glanced into the room. "Hello? Is this the Riverwood Trader?"

He found himself first staring into a warmly crackling fireplace, a pot hanging nearby with several articles of foodstuff strewn about the ground. There were two people in the room, a female and a male, who seemed to be arguing over something just as he came in but shut up as soon as he opened his mouth.

The woman looked flustered, still trying to force the anger out of her face. She gave Ician an unconvincing smile. "Y- Yes, this is the Riverwood Trader. How may I help you?"

"Oh, nothing really. I was just asked to deliver something to you." Ician gave the man a brief bow before turning back to the woman. "You're Camilla, aren't you?"

"Er, yes." She blinked in surprise. Evidently she hadn't expected a stranger to appear out of the blue and deliver something to her personally. Understandable, of course.

"I was asked to deliver this letter to you." Ician explained, producing the letter he'd been given earlier and handing it over to her. "I'd prefer if you didn't read it until tonight, though. I won't pretend to understand to understand why Sven asked me to do that."

"Sven?" Camilla asked. "He wrote this for me?"

"Oh yes, he did. Personally. Enjoy." Walking back to the door, he glanced at the man and nodded to him. "Sorry, but I have no bits to spend yet. I'll come back as soon as I find some, though. Farewell." Ician pushed the door open and left, whistling.

Sven was waiting outside. Looking into the Trader, he waved amicably at Camilla, who waved back just as amicably. He waited for the door to shut before turning his full attention to Ician.

"Did you do it?" He asked.

"Done." Ician answered simply.

"Then here you go." Sven dropped ten gold bits into Ician's hand. "Spend it well."

"I will, thanks." Ician replied, before heading off to the bar. Job well done.

Darkness watched them and followed as they began to move, "If helgan is like a few other old forts I have visited then there is always a back route, usually through a cave," he said simply as he worked off his bindings, "But we're gonna need weapons before we find it, bound to be soldiers hiding within here from the dragon attack," he said, "plus caves are notorious for frostbite spiders and bears," he said, "I may have some battle experience but this group would perish to just 1 bear in our current unarmed state"

Sky would grin. "We have some weapons, Midnight here has a bow, but she wont be taking part of the fights, i have a war ax. We can make it, all we need to do is work together and let others help" Sky would say, aiming that last part at Midnight. He knew she could handle herself. All he wanted to do was help her make it through this alive. No use trying to survive with a dead person, no matter who they are.

"I can fight" Midnight protested "Sure, i won't be able to hold a blade. B-but, thanks to Cross' healing, i should be able to fire some arrows. But, i got some blades that you guys can use"

She pulled out 2 short swords, tossing them onto the ground. "Take 'em, you'll do better with them than i can in my state"

Cross took the prisoner shoes off, and wiggled his hooves, he would of taken the rags off but then he would have to drop midnight. He stuck his foot out got it underneath the blade and kicked it up into the air. Grabbing it with his free hand he twirled the blade and did some quick practice slashes getting used to the weight and length.

you’re a sneaky little thing aren’t you!” he said smiling at midnight, he had another healing hoof ready in his other arm that was holding her, he just needed the magica to cast it.

thanks.” He said as he lowered the blade, and began walked with them thru the keep.

After a few steps he couldn’t help but say

ahh so these uhh frostbite spiders ..there not actually as big as a dog; as the rumors say …are they?”

Ician reached the tavern again. Clenching his right fist, within which the only bits he had in his possession were, he entered the bar and headed right back to the counter. He approached the barmare and said, "So, about the supplies..."

"You're back." She said, without a hint of surprise. "That was sooner than the few hours you said."

"What can I say? I got an easy job." Ician shrugged. "Anyways, I've got all of... ten bits. I'd like to have whatever supplies I can have. Preserved, please."

"Sure. Ten bits won't get you very much though." She answered.

"Not planning to. I might come back when I have more bits."

"Suit yourself." She reached under the counter and pulled out a few packets of food. "Here you go."

"Thanks." Ician took the packets and slid his bits over the counter. "Have a nice day."

The mare looked at him strangely for a moment, then shrugged. "You too."

Ician left the tavern whistling, heading down the road to Ponyville. Almost as an afterthought, he resummoned his familiar which has disappeared sometime over the past while and gave it a gentle pat on the head. "Let's go, Antimony."

The spectral wolf barked faithfully and followed him.

Darkness picked up the blade and groaned, "It'll do for now, thanks," he said as he gripped it in his hand and swung it sharply and quickly through the air, making a faint 'woosh' sound, "much lighter then i'm used, gonna have to change how i fight for now," he said simply then heard the healer speak, "No healer, there not as big as a dog, more comparable to a small sabre cat or maybe a bear cub," he said, "And those are just the normal ones I've encountered in the wild, rumor is that there are mother or queen spiders that are twice or three times the size," he said simply, seeming unfazed by this.

"Fine, if your going to fight midnight stay back, dont risk yourself" Sky would say, not really caring about the swords. He was more of a ax person anyway.

(Sorry for the short post)

Midnight took the 'sneaky' comment from Cross as a compliment. .

"I know Sky, i'm an archer, not a front-liner like yourself. I'm hanging back with my arrows. Now, come on, lets get going! We don't have forever"

spiders the size of a bear ... he didnt know if this made them anymore ... or less frightening. in his youth Cross was very scared of spiders, he mostly got over his fears, but the idea of a giant 8-eyed beast who would kill and eat its own children and mates for a quick meal unnerved him a bit.

then midnight spoke

"agreed!" said cross as he and midnight went forward thru the keep.

"i do hope your right and there are multiple exits"

his magica recovered just enough and he performed healing hoof on midnight. draining himself again.

"any one got any light?" he asked as they went thru several dark patches

"anything other weird beings that may dwell in this place besides ghost, bandits and spiders?"

If he recalled correctly, Ponyville wasn't all that far away from Riverwood. Riverwood was, after all, under Jarl Twilight's jurisdiction, and the towns tended to cluster around their capitals as far as possible. Ician decided the safest route was to simply follow the road. There were some wolves along the way, of course, but nothing he shouldn't be able to handle if he ran into them. He simply contented himself with humming an upbeat tune as he trod the path to Ponyville.

A memory of the tactical map he'd been staring at before the fateful battle appeared in his head. He couldn't remember all of it, but the part Ician did remember told him that there would be a few buildings along the way. There was a meadery - Honningbrew Meadery, if his memory served him well - a farm, and another building which he couldn't quite recall on the outskirts of Ponyville. If he wanted to stay out of sight, that would be where he would stay. Maybe he could earn a few bits working there, too. He'd have to work up a store of bits if he wanted to survive. He put it high up on his priority list.

Midnight kept her weight on Cross, using him to keep herself standing up.

"He's right, most keeps have cave exits. Shouldn't be too hard to locate one, just gotta look hard enough. As for what could be in here? Well, given i got shot at by a dragon today, i'm willing to believe almost anything could be down here at this point"

Cross had done some adventuring in his days, but the new land, allies, potential enemies …and spiders made him nervous and on his toes.

But he soon realized like most dungeons it was fairly straightforward. Long tunnels and branching rooms. As they walked along the dark cave cross softly said

“so is everyone as confused about that whole dragon attack as I am …or um… does stuff like that happen all the time here in skyrim?”

Archived