Best/Worst Key Episodes

For me, the best key episode has to be Rarity Takes Manehattan, simply for being a Rarity episode after a third season without one, and after an entire comic book story-arc where she became a damsel-in-distress for her personal demons. Rarity learned in the story that generosity can be manipulated unless she decides for herself as to who is worthy of her generosity.

The worst has to be Twilight's Kingdom. The reason is because it hinged on the disempowerment and victimization of the Mane Five, for the sake of empowering Twilight. Hell, even the fans secretly wanted that. By liking the Twilight/Tirek fight scene but hating the Rainbow Power and Rainbow Castle, they're implying that they want the show to just abandon its core friendship motif, and instead make Twilight this overpowered savior the universe while her friends are brutally murdered to demonstrate each new villain's power levels!

My favorite has got to be Pinkie Pride, just because everything in it was good. The songs were catchy, the conflict was great, the moral was amazing, and Cheese Sandwich was a really good character for me. (And no, I'm not biased, I don't really listen to that much Weird Al :P)

The worst? Rainbow Falls. Okay, I love Rainbow Dash and all, but I just really dislike this one. Don't worry, it's not her fault. (She's still best pony ;) ) It's just... There's so many plot holes I can't stand it -_- So I don't repeat myself, here's what I said about the episode in another thread:

10. Rainbow Falls- Ugh. Where do I begin? Well, this is definitely my least favorite episode of the season. I mean, theres too many obvious plotholes here that just make this episode confusing. Why does Fluttershy, the shy one, want to be in an event that all of Equestria would see? And why Bulk Biceps? Shouldn't he be doing a strength competition or something? And why can ponies only participate in one event? You're telling me there were no ponies besides Flutters and BB that could participate? Why are the Wonderbolts such jerks? It just goes on and on. At least it was a good conflict for RD though, but thats the only good thing I can find about this one

Actually, scratch the part about the good character conflict, it's a repeat of her conflict from the pilot episodes. If I had to say one good thing about this though, I'd go with the moral. That was alright.

Best is Pinkie Pride. Full of great music, development for PInkie and Weird Al himself. Just epic.

Worst is Breezies, but I've harped on that enough and don't particularly care to repeat myself.

The best has to be Twilight's Kingdom because it is all about sacrifice. Twilight sacrifices not only her power but the powers given by the Princesses to save her friends even though this means that Equestria is doomed. But through this sacrifice she finds this new strength that she never knew she had.

Worst episode has to be Breezies. Now there are many things wrong with this episode, but my biggest problem is how Fluttershy got her key: but basically kicking the Breezies out from her house. There could have been a better way to show her kindness tested like the others were like many ponies taking advantage of her kindness until the point when she is exhausted and has no free time for herself and then stands up for those mooching on her kindness by explaining that kindness doesn't mean weakness.

The best has to be Twilight's Kingdom because it is all about sacrifice. Twilight sacrifices not only her power but the powers given by the Princesses to save her friends even though this means that Equestria is doomed. But through this sacrifice she finds this new strength that she never knew she had.

Finally! Someone who didn't go to the S4 finale just for the stupid fight scene, and for the disempowerment and victimization of Twilight's friends, for the sake of empowering Twilight herself!

Me? I hated that episode, not so much for what it tried to do, but rather for the fans and the way they deliberately abandoned MLP's core friendship motif for the sake of seeing Twilight as an overpowered god, and her friends as disposable murder victims.

Of the key episodes? Well as much as I loved the epic finish for the season (almost felt like a series conclusion), I would have to say Pinkie Pride as everything fell into place perfectly as far as plot goes. I always worry about the flanderization of Pinkie and I felt I saw some evidence of that in several episodes this past season, however when it came to her key episode, they really brought back depth for the character without losing sight of who she is.

The worst? A toss up between Breezies and Rainbow Falls. I didn't hate either episode, just felt both were weak although they both had potential if simply done differently.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For me, the best key episode has to be Rarity Takes Manehattan, simply for being a Rarity episode after a third season without one, and after an entire comic book story-arc where she became a damsel-in-distress for her personal demons. Rarity learned in the story that generosity can be manipulated unless she decides for herself as to who is worthy of her generosity.

The worst has to be Twilight's Kingdom. The reason is because it hinged on the disempowerment and victimization of the Mane Five, for the sake of empowering Twilight. Hell, even the fans secretly wanted that. By liking the Twilight/Tirek fight scene but hating the Rainbow Power and Rainbow Castle, they're implying that they want the show to just abandon its core friendship motif, and instead make Twilight this overpowered savior the universe while her friends are brutally murdered to demonstrate each new villain's power levels!

All of this. Minus empowering Twilight. I actually hated that idea when I read the synopsis when I found it out, and I hated it more when I saw how and for what reason it was done in part two. Twilight's Kingdom, for me, also cemented Celestia as the worst strategist. Ordinarily I'd have to consider the idea that she knew, or had an inkling that Twilight would find the final key to unlock the power of Harmony, but that's giving her WAY too much credit, in spite of the other situations she's managed to majorly fudge up with crap-tier planning.

Rarity Takes Manehattan is definitely the top key ep for me. They kind of left the whole plot with Suri by the wayside, and I would have been immeasurably happy if they had shaken up the status quo and dropped Rarity off for a few episodes, or even added Coco Pommel to the current roster, but I recognize the show isn't one for change in any serious degree unless it affects Twilight Sparkle.

How else could we get another hundred-something (by the time Season Five airs) episodes?

• 2 months later...

Lesson Zero is the best I think. Not only was it genuinely funny from start to finish, but the moral was solid without being cliche.

Worst is definitely super speedy cider squeezy. It just about ruined Applejack's character for me. She couldn't handle a little honest competition(irony?), and the only reason she won is because they basically let her change the rules half way through. The worst part? She acts like she was right all along, when there were clearly multiple things there for her to learn.

Archived