[Canterlot] Shining City[OPEN]

Misty skipped after Robikku, feeling light on her feet at the prospect of a meal. She'd never been to a “Bistro”, but if it meant food, she may as well try it out. Being in Canterlot was a once in a lifetime experience—she might as well make the most of it!

She hopped over to the table Miracle was already seated at, simply following suit. She had no idea of the protocol for eating out, but now was as good a time as any to learn! Misty opened the Menu before her, staring at it like Miracle was. She wasn't very good at reading—after all, what use did a Peryton have for words?—but he'd been taught to sound out words, a little.

Misty concentrated on the Menu, doing her best to make sense of the mass and mess of words. She whispered sounds to herself, doing her best figure out what they were. But, even if she did manage to sound out something, most of it didn't make any sense. This wasn't any type of food she'd ever heard of, although with a name like “Bistro”, why had she expected any different?

Her ears pinned back slightly, and she began to regret the decision to come after all. She wasn't one to always quit easily, but trying to understand the ins and outs of Canterlot was hard. Still, she was doing her best... maybe she should just randomly place her hoof on the Menu and pick whatever it fell on. She didn't know what most of it was anyway.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

miraclebanner.png

As the other two walked up to the table, Miracle felt a sudden doubt in her mind. At first she wasn't sure what it was, but as soon as Robikku stepped up to the table to site on one of it's surrounding pillows, Miracle interrupted. "NO! Don't sit there! It's got prickly feathers insi-"

"Aaaagh!" A pony who had just sat down onto a pillow at a different table shouted in pain as they sat on what seemed to be the pillow Miracle had just described. Miracle's prediction was half-right. There was a prickly pillow, but it wasn't Robikku's.

"Oh, uh, nevermind." Miracle smiled. And almost without missing a step, she glanced at the menu and set it down with confidence. She saw, however, the peryton having a little trouble deciphering the menu. "So whatcha having? Some crumpets? An order of Apple Du Chef? Omelette du fromage? Personally, I'm getting a double order of Papardelle with wild mushroom soup and a side salad, extra dressing, heh. Whatever you get, don't forget to leave room for desert. Do you understand, uh-" Miracle was suddenly embarrassed that she never actually got the peryton's name. "What was your name again?"

Robikku was a little taken aback once he saw that small moment take place with the pillows - the other pony whom had been 'inflicted' with the spiny cushion was too busy wondering what had taken place to notice the pegasus's small chuckles to himself...he couldn't help but get a little amused at something so absurd happening so close to their table.

Once he settled down with the menu, he listens to the small exchange between miracle and the peryton for a moment whilst choosing his meal - vegetable lasagne, a personal favourite, along with a glass of Mint and berry juice...something to both refresh and stimulate the ol' tastebuds. He taps at the dessert section, letting off an audible 'Hmm' in thought as he ponders his options, before ultimately settling on a chocolate and vanilla cheesecake with cream.

He watches as misty looks bemusedly at the menu, giving a small grin as he leans forward and speaks softly to the peryton...

" Havin' problems, missy? it's just that I see you're holding the menu upside down,so I figure you might need a small hoof! "

• 1 month later...

Misty's mind spun as Miracle rambled off the names of things she know. She tried to focus on the Menu in front of herself and decide on something, but the more she concentrated, the more confused she got. She should have just declined in the first place and gone off to find something simple to eat. That would have been much easier on her poor head.

"Uh, it's uh... it's Misty." she replied, still engrossed in the words before her.

“W—What?” she responded to Robikku. A quick glance from him to the Menu quickly revealed her blunder. “Uhhh...” she flipped it over properly, blushing and scuffling her hooves. Not that that helped any, her headache was growing, not only from concentrating, but from dehydration as well.

“What do you think is good?” Misty swiveled her head between the two ponies. Her shoulders were hunched in defeat as she admitted she didn't know what to get. The city life was not something she was going to easily get used to.

• 2 weeks later...

miraclebanner.png

"Well, Misty. You almost can't lose with one of their house salads. And it's so easy to choose one of them." Miracle grabs Misty's menu and flips it inside out immediately to the list of salads. There were about 40 different salad items.

The waiter pony walked up to their table. "Are you ready to ord-?"

"Yes!" Miracle didn't waste anytime. "I'm gonna get a double order of Papardelle with wild mushroom soup and a side salad, give me all the Itailian dressing you have. And this young deery is gonna have, uhhh..., the macadamia nuts nut salad! Oh! And give us a group order of those yummy cinnamon rolls! NO! Make that double order."

After Miracle was done ordering, the waiter tried to grab the menu from Miracle's hoofs with his unicorn magic, but Miracle resisted. "No. I'd like to keep looking at the menu so that I can know what to order next time, please, thank you." Miracle folded the menu under her hoofs on the table and asked Robikku. "What are you having again?"

• 1 month later...

Robikku could sense that misty was having a rather unfortunate time of picking out her meal, whereas Miracle seemed to be quite the adept menu surfer...she'd chosen quite the amount, and he suddenly found himself regretting that he had offered to pay for quite as much - this was gonna hurt his bits for a while.

" I'll be having, uh - vegetable lasagne, a personal favourite, along with a glass of Mint and boysenberry juice... " robikku stated to the waiter, clearing his throat a little as he looks over at the menu in front of him - he figured that it was missing one thing, and that would be a dessert choice. " I'll also have myself a Cinnamon apple pie slice, warmed if possible! "

Satisfied with his order, he glances over towards Misty with a small smile before clearing his throat and pondering. " Perhaps, considering everything, you'd be better off going for something simple like a deluxe salad, with a side order of hay fries - and maybe something like a fruit...Banana, apple, whatever - whatever you might really enjoy. " He says, giving a small chuckle. " But then again I don't really know much about what perytons enjoy... "

Edited by Robikku Pegasus

”I uh...” Misty glanced at Miracle and then back at her Menu, pinning her ears back slightly and smiling sheepishly. Just then, the waiter arrived again, and Misty placed her nose closer to the Menu, trying harder than ever to decipher what all this fancy stuff actually was. She could recognize a few words like pears, carrots, mushrooms... but she couldn't quite figure out what soup or bread or pie was.

“Wa—huh?” she said, when she realized Miracle had ordered something for her... and also at the large amount of food Miracle was ordering for herself. It would take her family like a week to eat that much! Ponies certainly knew how to pack it in, she mussed. “Uh, yeeess, sure.” she agreed with Miracle's suggestion of a salad, shifting her eyes uncertainly.

“Oh—oh sure!” she said at Robikku's suggestion, with no idea if she could even eat all that. She was too hungry to care now anyway, she could have eaten a hor—tree. “Generally Peryton's just eat whatever vegetation is available. We're not really much for cities.” she blushed, thinking of her overall ignorance when it came to cities.

miraclebanner.png

Miracle began stuffing her face with the complimentary bread that was on the table. She paced herself so that by the time her left hoof reached her mouth, her right hoof was already reaching for the next slice. All while doing this, she spoke with her mouth full, spilling crumbs everywhere as she spoke. "Aw shou kiddin me!? Ah wouln die of farvasion out fere! I coulf nefer ko a day wifout thome cifilished food." Miracle exclaimed as she munched. She thought for a moment and then swallowed to take a small break from eating. "So, you don't have a favorite fruit or berry or anything like that? There must be something that you enjoy more than other stuff."

• 3 weeks later...

Robikku chuckles as he watched miracle eat - no wonder she maintained her current frame with the way she was packing away so much free bread...

he had no idea how she couldn't just wait a few moments for whatever she'd ordered...by the time her food arrived, no doubt she'd ask for more!

After a few moments of silence, his attention turns to the peryton, who seemed to be all the more confused about just what she was expected to do here, let alone how to act.

Given that perytons were hardly common creatures around this part of Canterlot as a whole, he had to sympathise...it was clearly culture shock that was causing the young thing to look so thoroughly uncertain of pretty much everything that had been going on - Robikku immediately felt a twang of guilt for not thinking better of what a peryton might appreciate.

" Yeah, I guess I shoulda thought about this a little better... " he said, admittingly. " I don't really know many...well, any...Perytons myself, so I sorta figured that perhaps it'd be like anypony else. Thinking about that now, seems like I may have probably, uh...made a mistake in doing that! "

However, before he really could get a chance to say more...it seemed that food was starting to arrive - looks like the talking would have to wait a while, it was time to eat!

• 2 weeks later...

”Oh! Well...” Misty contemplated Miracle's question, sliding a hoof under her chin thoughtfully. “I suppose I'm partial to almonds, and uh... maybe leeks?” She smiled. “I eat—and grow—all sorts of different plants, both for food and for decoration.” Misty looked a little sheepish, not wanting to brag about her flora related abilities.

“This is my first time in any kind of, well... civilization.” she admitted, as if it wasn't obvious. “I've personally never met any Peryton's outside of my family...” Misty's joyful smile faded at the mention of “family.” Not only did she miss her home and her parents, she missed her sister, Snow. She'd gotten caught up in all the wonder and excitement, and had forgotten her original mission for the moment.

But the food brought a welcome relief from her troubles, as she struggled to take in all the sights and smells of the fare that was being laid before them. Her nose twitched cutely, much like that of a bunny. Let's see... hers had macadamia nuts in it, whatever it was.

It was just then that Misty realized it was right in front of her. Well, that certainly made things easier. This 'salad' looked relatively normal. It was really just a bunch of lettuce and spinach leaves. Misty inwardly sighed with relief—at least it wasn't anything weird. Misty couldn't wait to dig in... but she paused, waiting to see if there was any before-meal protocol.

miraclebanner.png

Miracle was so happy when the food came. She could hardly wait to eat. But when the food was placed down in front of her, she grabbed the waiters by the hoof before he left. "What's this? I thought I asked for all the dressing that you have." Miracle facehoofed. "Look, I know what you heard was 'give me extra dressing,' but I said give me all the dressing that you have." Miracle was suddenly fierce and her expression was near motionless. "Look, I guess I'll work with it, but this better not happen next time." Miracle released her grab on the waiter and and looked back at Robikku and Misty. "Ugh. Some ponies."

• 1 month later...

Robikku watches Miracle for a moment, a little dumbfounded at her outburst at the waiter - it seemed a tad odd for him to witness somepony just utterly lose it over salad dressing...and it seemed like such a silly request too.

What resteraunt was ever going to just give a single customer ALL of their dressing, really?

Still, at least she seemed to be getting along with the peryton, and that was decent enough for the pegasus, as he proceeds to take a mouthful himself...a small appreciative smile on his features as the delicious flavours and textures flooded his senses - Canterlot food may have been a tad pricey, but nopony could say that it wasn't worth every bit...especially when it was as good as this!

he glances back at Misty who was discussing her food with Miracle for a moment, giving a small chuckle.

" Growing your own? That's always good...heck, wish I had a green hoof at times. " He says, having swallowed the mouthful and washed it down with his drink. " Seriously - gotta respect when anypony... " He catches and corrected himself with a chuckle. " and AnyPeryton who has that going on - 'cause it usually makes life a little easier and a little cheaper if you're growin' your own stuff! "

He took another small mouthful of his own plateful, closing his eyes and enjoying his meal - sure, they were probably an odd sight for most of the rest of those gathered at tables already eating their meals, but that didn't really matter to him right now...as far as he was concerned, this was pretty all right!

• 3 weeks later...

Misty was a little surprised by Miracle's abrupt nature. Maybe she was just a little grumpy because she was hungry... although all she'd almost since they sat down was eat... Heck, even before they'd arrived, she'd been munching on bread. Maybe her girth was a tad bit much for a pony... Misty didn't know, this was her first real experience with them.

As Robikku started eating, Misty took it as the sign that she could too, and tucked in eagerly. Finally, she was getting to eat... and how glorious it was! It wasn't just that she was filling her belly—this was delicious! It was like nothing she had ever tasted, all the different flavors mixing for a party in her mouth. She wished that she could eat slower and enjoy the taste more, but she was just so hungry.

miraclebanner.png

By the time Robikku continued his conversation with Misty before he dove into his own plate of food, Miracle was slurping down the last bit of of hers. In the middle of the table, a basket full of cinnamon rolls slowly migrated over to Miracle's side of the table, as per her magic. Robikku looked like he was going to enjoy his meal, but Miracle hadn't noticed, as she was too busy enjoying, or inhaling, her own. It wasn't long before Miracle realized that her salad, cinnamon rolls (which were supposedly intended for the whole table), and entrée were gone. Miracle even licked the plates clean of it's sauces and garnishes.

And there she sat. Miracle fumbled her hooves together, waiting impatiently as her friends finished their meals. Miracle wasted no time completing hers. And she wasn't used to eating with others. She should have paced herself better. Maybe then she wouldn't be bored.

Starring at her pony friend and peryton. They sure seemed to enjoy their food. Robikku, with his well-tuned Canterlot manners was using proper etiquette, or as good as one could make not being a unicorn pony and having to use his mouth for all of the eating processes. Misty was beside herself it seemed, diving into the salad that Miracle had ordered for her. It made Miracle happy to see her enjoy it. But if she was honest with herself, she would totally take it for herself. She could taste it now. The crunch of the nuts in contrast to the softer crunch of the spinach leaves, all swimming in a lake of dressing and topped with flavorful tomatoes and cucumbers. Or Robikku's dish, a veggie lasagna that had melted cheeses of several kinds, all housing the several combinations of soy and lettuce that was stuffed between two whole grain rooftop noodles, all of it requiring some sort of silverware if one was to eat it without making a mess.

Miracle couldn't take it anymore. She bolted up, flinging nearby silverware off the table and even spilled a few glasses of fruit juice that was served on the table and pointed at Robikku's dish, shouting with urgency, "YOU GONNA EAT THAT!?"

Applejack.pngMadden.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

• 4 weeks later...

Robikku found himself really enjoying his meal with gusto - the flavours and textures of the lasagne were top notch...the sensations of the rich tomato mixed with the multiple cheeses, and the pasta was done to a perfect full soft texture. He wasn't as refined as most ponies in canterlot, but he was appreciative of good food, hence why he was taking his time with it - you couldn't rush eating such a delicious work of a meal, and he had no intentions on doing so!

"YOU GONNA EAT THAT!?" piped up Miracle, drawing out a small sigh of annoyance from Robikku and a few curious glances from the other customers around the vicinity. The pegasus gave a small wince of apology at everypony before looking back at the seemingly bottomless pit that was Miracle, giving her a displeased glare.

" YES, I DO plan on eating all of this...and I'm pretty sure Misty plans on finishing hers! "

Robikku looked over at Misty with a small apologetic Smile - not entirely sure what she'd make of all this hullaballoo. It clearly wasn't often that the peryton would have to deal with such rowdy behaviour over something as simple lunch, and Robikku suddenly felt that perhaps this hadn't been the best idea to go with afterall. At this particular moment in time, all he really wanted to do was just finish up his meal and perhaps get out of this resteraunt without further incident...

He wasn't exactly pinning his hopes up on that happening any time soon.

• 1 month later...

Misty's head shot up at Miracle's outburst. Unfortunately, she had just lapped up a piece of carrot with her tongue, and instead of chewing and swallowing, she inhaled it in her surprise. It became lodged in her throat, and at first she just tried to swallow it the rest of the way. That didn't work, so she tried clearing her throat to see if she could dislodge it. That wasn't doing anything either, so she took it a step further and coughed a couple of times. That just seemed to make things worse, and now she was gasping for breath as her face started turning red from lack of oxygen. She was trying her best not to make a scene, especially in front of her new found friends, but that was proving to be difficult seeing as she was choking.

miraclebanner.png

Miracle sat there bored. She was daydreaming as to what exactly her plan was to eat later. An appetite like hers needed planning, of course. And Robikku, who in Miracles mind, was very selfish as to not share his meal, kept Miracle from experiencing the taste of his lasagna. Oh well. And Misty, who seemed to enjoy her food was turning colors. "Wow, I didn't know perytons could change their color like that. Did you, Robi?" Miracle gazed at Misty who looked like she was enjoying her meal a little too much. Misty's head was bobbing up and down. "Well golly! That must be some amazing dish you got there. Mind if I try?" Misty continued to flail, and Miracle beamed. "You're too kind. Which is more than I can say about some ponies." After Miracle glanced at Robikku, Miracle took a bite out of Misty's nutty salad. The flavor combinations satisfied Miracle's emotions, despite her obliviousness to Misty's life-threatening experience.

Applejack.pngMadden.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear, this was turning into a pretty unfortunate scene...and one that made Robikku doubt that he wasn't dreaming in class!

Misty seemed to be having herself quite a difficulty dealing with swallowing her food, which immediately put the Pegasus on alert...but before he could even make motions to move, it seemed as though Miracle had ideas of her own - and none of them seemed to involve helping the struggling peryton.

She was reaching over towards Mistys meal, which led Robikku to give a quick groan before looking back at the rather silly mare with a dark frown, hissing his disapproval before stating the one thing that perhaps she'd not taken into account. " Perytons don't color change - Can't you see she's swallowed it wrong?! "

Feeling a large quantity of panic building, Robikku slipped off where he sat and trots quickly behind Misty as she sat up, choking and flailing...

" Ugh, not sure how I'm s'posed to do this, but here goes nothing! " Robikku utters to himself, before rising up on hishind legs a little and thrusting out at Misty's back with his front forelegs, hoping beyond hope that he could dislodge the blockage in some way - he wasn't exactly well versed in handling a situation like this, so his nerves were aflame with uncertainty, and his knowledge of what he could do here was equally flaky.

Truth be told, he had no idea whether or not this would even work...but give it a try he did anyway.

Misty did her best to force breaths out of her throat, trying to dislodge the carrot. She scraped her front hooves along the table, trying to relay her distress seeing as she couldn't speak. Miracle didn't seem to get the hint at all, instead diving into what was left of Misty's salad, much to her dismay. Misty's eyes started to water, a last desperation of her body to cry out without making a sound before she passed out.

She thought she saw Robikku get up, but her focus still remained on trying not to die on her first day in Canterlot. Her face was purple now, and she still wasn't breathing right—if at all. Just when she thought she would pass out, Misty felt something slam against her back. She was just a little thing, after all.

But fortunately, that did the trick. With a final cough, the food particle left her open mouth, rolling across the table until it fell on the ground. Misty panted, gasping for breath after the ordeal. Her facial colors faded back to their normal white, now that oxygen was available. She rubbed the outside of her throat a little at the spot where the offending carrot had previously placed itself, whimpering a little as the spot was still sore. The event left her a bit shaken up, to be sure.

Once she'd sufficiently calmed down enough, Misty fiddled with her front hooves, not wanting to meet either ponies' eyes. “I-I'm sorry for causing such a scene.” She said meekly. Her body still quivered, no matter how hard she tried to stop it. She was a terrible, horrible guest, and she had no business being in a city so large or letting some stranger buy her food or thinking that she could make a good impression on 'civilized' creatures.

miraclebanner.png

[colour=#333333]Miracle chewed happily at the salad. And then Robikku approached with a bit of anger. Miracle covered the salad. "Listen buddy. You didn't share your food, so why should we share with y-," Miracle was interrupted by Robikku's explanation of the situation. Misty was in fact choking. Miracle stood back and watched the drama as Robikku wrapped his hooves around Misty's waist. Robikku sure knows how to treat a filly, Miracle though. Er, doe, that is, she corrected. Eventually, a small carrot slice shot out of Misty's mouth and rolled on the patio floor. Miracle looked at it, and then looked around. Everypony in the area was stunned and shocked, and a few started clopping their hooves in joy when they saw that Misty was alright. Miracle looked at the carrot. Making sure no one was looking, Miracle bent down quickly and snagged the carrot with her teeth, swallowing it immediately. She walked up to the peryton who was catching her breath. "Oh gosh. Does this mean you're not going to finish your meal? That's ok, I'll finish it for you."[/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

With the situation under control, and Misty seemingly saved from what might well have been choking herself to death on a piece of carrot, Robikku rubs the back of his head lightly with a hoof and exhales sharply - seemed as though this whole thing had been rough on the poor peryton, as she quivered on the chair...although he couldn't figure if that was just adrenaline or fear.

" Misty, don't worry about it... " he says with a small chuckle, shaking his head softly. " you just take a sip of water and relax, you'll be fine. " the pegasus says, before looking over at Miracle with a rather odd expression as the pudgy-weighted unicorn helped herself to the offending carrot that had been responsible for Misty's earlier embarrassment. " Uh...don't you think that's a little, uh... " the pegasus pauses as he tries to find a polite way of finishing his sentence and fails - there was just no way of achieving such a feat, it seemed. He sighs and just takes a sip of his own drink, resisting the sudden urge to facehoof as he watched Misty slowly recover and miracle continue to try and find things to eat. " Next time, I think it'd be easier to go for Takeaway! " he silently utters to himself.

[colour=#FFBFFF]”Th-thank you Robikku.” Misty just hunched her shoulders and hung her head, wishing she could disappear from the embarrassing scene. All eyes were on her, and she'd never had so much attention in her entire life. She quivered, looking up and around at every face that was staring at her. She looked the picture of a deer in the spotlight, frozen in place but wanting desperately to run away.

“Y-y-you take it.” she whimpered, slowly pushing her bowl toward Miracle. She'd already had her mouth on it anyway, and Misty wasn't about to eat from something somepony she barely knew had had her mouth on. The ordeal that had just occurred had kind of put her off food anyway.

Just then, the waiter came by to bring more breadsticks. Misty tentatively took one, managing to get there before Miracle did only because she was preoccupied with the salad. Misty began gnawing on the bread, keeping her eyes focused upon it. She want to leave, the table, the restaurant, the city... but her upbringing dictated that that would be rude, so she sat in silence while she slowly ate, her ears drooping and eyes sad.[/colour]

miraclebanner.png

[colour=#333333]The salad was gone. Misty licked her lips of any extra leaves that might have hung on her lips and wiped her face off with a napkin. She gave a relieved exhale. "Well. I'm satisfied." A rare occasion, indeed.

Seeing Misty a little down on emotion, Miracle felt compelled to do something about it. Somepony had to. Misty seemed so reserved and guilty about something. So Miracle decided her best course of action. She got up next to Misty and grabbed her around her waist for a full sideways hug. "Don't feel bad, Misty. I haven't forgotten why you're here in the first place. We need to go to the garden and find that peryton you're looking for!" Miracle looked at Robikku and motioned him to get the check. The waiter came shortly after.[/colour]

Robikku gave a small clearing of the throat - geez, ths could have gone a whole lot worse had he not been able to handle the situation with Misty...the poor peryton looked like she was about ready to expire on the spot still, and he couldn't really blame her. What she'd just been through here had probably been one of the less wonderful experiences anypony...or anydeer...could have ever expected to wind up being a part of!

" Well, Okay - you girls head on out, and I'll...sort out this whole thing with this pony here. " He says, motioning a hoof to the approaching and slightly bemused waiter, who Robikku could only assume had witnessed some if not all of their shenanigans over at this table.

His attention turns briefly to Misty as he nods, agreeing with Miracle about what they were setting out to do, and that it really was about time they got back to the situation at hand. " Misty, Just go with Miracle there and she'll listen to anything you have to tell her about where you're going - don't fret about this whole thing, I'm pretty sure these ponies have handled much worse. "

He ignores the mild tsk of the waiter beside him, and begins the process of getting the costs and the working out of what particular tip he should leave them...although he probably didn't need to think too long on that one - there was no way this was gonna be a small tip after all of this hubbub!

[colour=#FFBFFF]Misty was about to take another bite when she felt large hooves surround her. Good thing she hadn't, or she might have choked on that, too. “Uh, right!” she flung a hoof around the black pony awkwardly, curling her other hoof to keep hold of what was left of her breadstick. It would highly improve the day if Snow was found somewhere in the city. Unfortunately, Misty didn't want to get her hopes up. Finding her in the first place she looked seemed too good to be true.

“Y-Yeah, let's go.” Misty shoved the last bit of food into her mouth as she stepped away from the table. Then, realizing she had no idea where she was going, she paused to wait for Miracle. “I hope you won't be long.” she looked at Robikku, concerned. She didn't relish leaving him behind, and would have gladly and patiently waited, but going on ahead was what he said he wanted the pair to do.

“And you might—er, if it's necessary, you can a-apologize for me. I didn't mean to cause you or anypony else any trouble...” she scuffed a hoof along the ground. Well, there was no use dwelling on the event now. Her belly was full, and the best course of action would be to put the incident behind her. “Come on, Miracle.” she slowly trotted away, waiting for one of her new friends to catch up.[/colour]