Research and Development (Open)

Lux

The florist looked as though her mind temporarily became distracted, and the psychologist had an idea what or in this case who was doing this.

"I see. So then all of the cities you visited are equally nice, correct."

The stallion seemed to have a basic knowledge of the Crystal Heart, but of course having an empire appear from where there was nothing was bound to attract some interest.

"Yes the Crystal Heart does indeed lend to the structures around it but there is so much more about this object. It keeps us safe from harm, makes conditions liveable despite being in the north where there is plenty of snow and freezing cold outside the borders, and is fueled by our positive emotions."

The pony and Flora were then treated to a rather interesting idea, a tour on Java's airship.

"You brought an airship here to Ponyville? Um... not to question your engineering skills but I heard a crash before meeting you. Is the ship still air-worthy?"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flora tilted her head to the side slightly at Heart's statement/question. Cities? Weren't they talking about ponies? Either way, the statement was mostly true.

"P-pretty much..." Flora said simply, looking over at the stallion again as he began talking about what he knew of the Crystal Heart, which didn't amount to too much. At least, that's all he said he knew. Still, it was slightly more than she knew. Heart then pointed out some other things the Crystal Heart did, like make the area liveable. She knew it was harder to grow plants the further north you went. Well, generally. There were still plants that could grow in some harsh environments.

Then came Java's offer to take them up in his airship. Heart seemed concerned about a crash she had heard earlier and it possibly being related to the airship. Flora didn't remember hearing a crash, but she stayed quiet about that.

"That s-sounds nice... I s-suppose..." Flora said. She wasn't really sure what to think of the offer, as she had never been flying before. At least she didn't think so, but she was fairly certain that would've been something she remembered. There was that storm during Winter Wrap Up... She was pretty sure she had left the ground once or twice from the extremely strong winds, though she didn't really count that as flight.

Java's brow quirked a bit at the mention of a crash. To be honest, technically his ship had had a few scrapes and bumps against the ground and canyons. But it technically wasn't him he was flying it for that run. Actually, the crazed stallion thought it'd be humorous to let a completely inexperienced and untrained earth pony take the wheel. As bad as an idea that had sounded, with the fact that they were sort of surrounded by other ships firing at them. It got him out alive, and as much damage his ship had taken, it did remain in one piece.

So, some repair work later, and looks to be in a far better shape than when it left the ground that faithful day. Not to mention, he had added a small redesign to allow the ship to safely land on the ground when necessary, without damaging it's integrity.

While the pony was dialing in all the facts, he held a very questionable look on his expression while he gazed up to the sky. Eventually, his sights returned to the two. One hoof raised, and creating some sort of teetering motion of a see saw. "Mmmmmm... yeaaaah. It's in flying condition. It had a nasty time one day, but it's back in working condition with new improvements. But that was back in Pinto Desert. Not here. Though if you think I'd take an airship from Canterlot to Ponyville, you're dead wrooooooooong..." Java trailed off once more in thought. A bright blush now showing up as he realized a few things.

A. It wasn't uncommon for ponies to take airships to Canterlot, given that the train-station was quite a ways down from the summit. So his airship would have been MUCH more time efficient than a train ride. Plus definitely not unusual.

B, and this was the worst one. He had practically offered a ride to two mares. This would have been perfectly fine in Java's book... if one of the mares weren't completely shy, and likely to back out. Which means... he'd practically had unwittingly asked the crystal pony on a date! With just the two of them being alone in the sky, and no fall back plan for Java! He couldn't even withdraw the statement if he tried!

The pony's bright red face remained still for a moment as his eyes were tilted away. The only signs of life, were the awkward ticks and nervous twitches of his body after his brain came to a grinding halt once more. When he finally snapped out of it, he nervously ran a hoof along his other leg. His attention turned back to the other two.

"N-now! I understand that Miss Flora here is a Botanist!" He stuttered, gesturing to Flora. And then turning to the Crystal Mare, "But, what is your profession?"

As expected, Flora looked reluctant to go for a ride on an airship. Then again anything new that wasn't related to gardening might worry the mare. Heart though questioned the safety in a logical manner but was assured by Java it was still safe. She raised an eyebrow though about the comment of not wanting to take an airship ride when he offered a ride.

"So you are fine with taking an airship to say Canterlot but not from Canterlot to Ponyville? That... doesn't makes sense unless going down a mountain affects the ship somehow."

The Crystal Pony saw that now the stallion looked nervous at the proposition. Was he trying to convince Flora from going to get her on the ship with him alone like on a date? No, that couldn't be it, could it?

"But, what is your profession?"

"Oh, well I am a psychologist. I help ponies who have emotional matters like grief, loss, anger and even love. I help individuals, couples and friends try to resolve any problems they may have for a better well being."

The conversation seemed more centered on Java now, which was something that Flora was perfectly fine with. It gave her a chance to think over the offer to take a ride in the airship. While it sounded a bit frightening, being that far above the ground under some power beyond her own, it also sounded like an interesting experience. She wasn't really sure if she should actually agree to do this, especially with the awkwardness between the other two. She wasn't sure, but it seemed like the two liked each other. Or at least they were embarrassed about the idea of going up in the airship with just the two of them.

Flora nodded slightly when it was mentioned that she was a botanist. She wasn't really paying attention, so the rest of the sentence didn't register to her, only her name and profession registered. She also didn't really hear what Heart said, still trying to convince herself to try the airship. She could think of more reasons to do it than not, but the reasons not to were kinda big ones, so it sort of balanced out.

Java's ears lowered as his logic had been challenged, his head turning away as he admited his error. “Well... I tend to over look things...” the pony rasped before looking back to the mare again. “And it's a pain to land in Ponyville... given that it's design lets me control the not only the yaw, but the pitch and roll. Well... that and I am just making excuses...”

The pony quicky cleared his throat. And listened to the other's description of her job. She seemed to be a Psychologist? Well, that was perfectly lucky! He needed to get his head checked out by someone who's actually studies mental diseases anyways!

However, the pony did flinch at the word love, believing she was hinting to something.Though, he relaxed when she further explained her self, with the words couple and families.

It was hard to read what Flora felt about the entire offer of flying through the sky. Perhaps she was just trying to decide what to do next.

"Well I can tell it must be hard operating such a craft," Heart replied trying to keep the engineer's hopes up, "If you say that it is safe then I must put your trust that it is indeed so. Flora, would like to join me? I know this isn't something that you might be used to in your life but it might be something you like. You never know unless you try, right?"

Flora kinda looked around as she was lost in thought, not really paying attention to the conversation. When she heard her name again, her ears perked up and she looked at Heart. After the mare was done speaking, Flora remained silent for a bit, keeping her eyes on Heart as she tried to speed up her decision process.

"Umm... A-alright, I'll go with you." Flora said after a bit, giving Heart a slight smile. She then turned to Java and smiled slightly at him as well. She was getting more used to the two of them as time went on. "So... Where is the sh-ship?"

"Ah! Yes, that's right! Plus, I believe this might be something worth while for you too as well, Ms. Heart? If I recall, Crystal Kingdom was sort of time locked when it kinda disappeared from the face of the world! Airships might be a new concept there. Not quite sure."

Java smiled as they both seem to give them confirmations on them going on an adventure with him! Well, more like a gentle cruise on an airship! "Splendid! Though I am afraid to say that we won't be leaving immediately!" The bright side of it is that this is no longer a date, as he wouldn't be left alone with another. So, a double win for the mad stallion! But when queried about the location of his airship.

"Well! Naturally it's at a docking bay in Canterlot! So I suppose there will be some sight seeing involved when you get what you think you will need!"

post-9655-0-22666800-1413474985_thumb.pn

Bulk Biceps stood stoically in front of his gym, an unassuming building boldly labelled Bodies Built By Bulk Biceps across the awning, and looked around at the streets of Ponyville. He had to admit, it was a nice day. Unfortunately, that meant most found it too nice a day to be indoors lifting weights or working out, since they could get their exercise outdoors instead. That wasn't the greatest for business.

Desperate times called for desperate measures, it seemed, so there was only one thing left for him to do in a situation like this: get out there and lift!

Quickly trotting back inside, he retrieved a workout bench and a wheeled rack of free weights which he positioned in front of the entrance to his gym. Although he brought out the entire rack of weights for show, he only selected the two largest, one in each forehoof, starting to pump iron to his shoulder and then above his head in rapid repetitions and in full view of the street in an impressive display of muscle and marketing.

Heart could tell it was not an easy decision to go for a ride on the airship as the mare took a long time deciding something that could be answered in a simple yes or no. But to her delight the earth pony agreed to join her and Java Sun.

"Great, I'm glad you can come with us," Heart replied still trying to figure out where this ship was. She could imagine it would be big and thus easily stand out but so far there was no ship to be found. Her heart sunk slightly as Java mentioned that the craft was in Canterlot, prompting a little journey. Still this gave the Crystal pony a chance to see more of the area.

"You are right Java, the Crystal Empire was locked away in time due to... him. So no, we did not see and airships there. It must be interesting seeing things from the air, so it will be worth the trip."

She was about ready to get going when she spotted a rather strange pony. This one at first looked like a very muscular earth pony lifting weights, but Heart could see tiny wings amongst the muscles. Or maybe they were normal sized wings. Well, she wasn't going to pass up saying hello to him.

"Hello there," Heart said waving to the stallion exercising outside, "I'm Heart Healer. What's your name?"

Flora smiled slightly as Heart said she was glad that the florist had decided to come along. She imagined it would've been a very awkward trip if it had been just Heart and Java on the ship, and it seemed like neither of them wanted that, so she decided to help them out and experience something new at the same time. It sounded like something she might enjoy, seeing the beauty of the world from another perspective.

Of course, it would be a bit of a trip before they even got to the ship, as it was currently in Canterlot. Oh well, it could've been worse. At least it was relatively close by. It seemed like Heart was ready to go, but that a pony caught her eye and distracted her. Following her gaze, Flora saw a large, well-muscled stallion. At first she thought it was an earth pony, but she soon caught sight of the small wings on his back. Or, at least they were small in comparison to the stallion's body. She blushed slightly at the display of strength as the stallion lifted weights. Heart introduced herself before asking for the stallion's name. Flora, on the other hand, squeaked slightly and hid behind her mane again.

Java's head tilted slowly as he noticed something... rather odd in the background. His ear was twitching, giving a signal to Heart warmer that he was infact listening. But his eyes were drawn to what he was seeing off in the side lines. An incredibly strapping stallion was carrying a workbench AND a set of disk weights outside.

His eyes tilted downwards to look at the large dumbales he was lifting up so effortlessly. He even mused that such puny little things to this... stallions incredibly bulky biceps were absolutely childs play, and he actually bench presses houses on the side lines for it to actually feel like he's lifting a hair.

His eyes slowly shifted to the racks next. And then back to the pony in thought. His thoughts actually wondered back to his own appearance. Well, what he believed he looked like. While in reality, he could easily be a handsome noble pony if he actually gave two bucks grooming. His coat has a brilliant luster to it (even when colored like coffee), but was naturally messy and long in a few places. And his mane might as well been a bed head. And his body lacked a decent amount of fat that was natural to most average joes. He was aesthetically a lean work-stallion with a bit of charms of a unicorn. The only real unattractive bits of him were his horribly scratched and damaged forehooves, and the scars hidden by his fur from failed testing runs.

But in his own mind... his self-esteme was low. Damaged a bit further after watching this... monstrous stallion. He saw himself in a completely different shade of light than what could be seen in a mirror. A scrawny pony that managed to be the runt of the litter in his own family. Or that mad pony back in college.

Java's ears promptly lowered as his thoughts lingered a bit longer. His heart sank for a moment. “Perhaps... I should work out more often...” he thought to himself now approaching the racked weights. His eyes looked over them for a moment, and quickly plucked up the middle grounds giving it a testing lift to see if he can actually find his limits.

It hadn't taken long at all for Bulk's new advertising campaign to generate some interest, and for that he was quite pleased, though who it attracted made him look again. Of course, he'd seen thousands of Crystal Ponies, all in one stadium even, when he'd competed in the Equestria Games, but seeing one in Ponyville was unusual. He smiled as she introduced herself.

"Hi,", he said, not missing a beat with his dumbbells. "My name's Bulk Biceps!" he added enthusiastically, as if introducing not only himself but his greatest feature. "Enjoying Ponyville?" he asked.

Looking over to Java, who was selecting some weights himself, he said, "Start small, then get bigger. Get used to lifting first so you don't injure yourself, then work your way up, up, up!" As if to accentuate his point, he lifted his own weights above his head every time he said the word "up".

Heart's interest in the new stallion was interrupted by the squeak coming from Flora as once again she tried to hide behind her mane. Was this pony afraid of anypony new, or just stallions?

"Don't worry Flora, I'm sure he is a nice pony if you get to know him, and hiding behind your mane won't help."

Before she could hear a reply from the muscular stallion, Heart watched as Java trotted over to where the stallion lifted weights and started lifting as well, albeit with smaller ones. She wondered what possessed the pony to suddenly switch from an adventure flying to exercising. It was then that she realized maybe he felt a lesser pony compared to Bulk Biceps, maybe even that she was more attracted to the white Pegasus. Was she really going to be a pawn in some match to one up each other? She hoped not much as she did feel a little giddy being the center of attention.

"Um, Java, while I'm pleased you want to be healthy, maybe you shouldn't overtax yourself."

"Hi,", he said, not missing a beat with his dumbbells. "My name's Bulk Biceps!" he added enthusiastically, as if introducing not only himself but his greatest feature. "Enjoying Ponyville?" he asked.

"Ah, hello then Mr. Biceps," Heart Healer said surprised that the pony kept pumping iron while conversing with her, "You seem, familiar, like I saw you some other place, but I don't remember where. How did you know I'm not from Ponyville?"

Flora heard what Heart said to her, though she gave no indication of hearing the words apart from poking her head out from her mane. She knew it didn't really hide her, hiding behind her mane, but it made her feel better somewhat. Regardless, she watched as Java went over and began lifting weights as well. She looked back at Heart as the crystal pony spoke again, talking to Java. Then the muscular stallion spoke up, introducing himself as Bulk Biceps as he continued lifting weights, asking Heart how she was liking Ponyville.

"Well... It's n-not as if Ponyville is that b-big... He probably said that because he hadn't seen you around before..." Flora said quietly, giving her take on the question Heart posed. She then raised her voice slightly, not by much, but enough so that Bulk could hear what she said next clear enough. "It's n-nice to meet you... My n-name is Flora Bloom..." She said, averting her gaze somewhat from the stallion's muscular body and blushing slightly.

Java hummed as he was told to start small. Well, this weight did seem light enough to him. Being only a slight amount of resistance. That much was pleasant. But the advice he was given sounded kinda odd. Especially when it came from a body building pony. Maybe he was a fitness trainer of some sorts. Java made the mistake of looking up, to notice the building behind Bulk Biceps. Which… actually had his name written on the very front of the building. So this stallion really was a fitness trainer. Perhaps he might actually have a reason to come to Ponyvile on a regular basis now.

But after hearing a word of concern, Java’s brows went flat as he looked down to the weight he was holding. His ear twitched for a moment. Did she really just say to not overtax himself? Nothing could ever get done in a reasonable amount of time if he didn’t! What was he supposed to do when he needs to transfer a cart of materials from the valley of Canterlot, to the summit like he has time and time again!? Have it delivered? That would be a waste of time and effort! His reasons for wanting to work out was not because he was trying to show off. It was for himself!

But those emotions were quickly discarded the moment they appeared. They were replaced with a bit of happiness. It was nice for someone to care about his health at least. The pony hummed as he watched Bulk Biceps form, and does his best to match it in verbatim.

“Uhmm… I think it’s because you’re a crystal pony. Ponyvile is small enough for everypony to know everypony.” He chuckled as he took a seat and plucked up a second one, and did the same. There… was a mild burning sensation, but nothing that dictated he was going to high just yet.

“That… and I am sure somepony would notice a lovely crystal pony in the vicinity. They did for the resident Zebra….” The pony paused and pursed his lips. “Yeeaah… that news spread quickly from what I heard.”

Bulk Biceps nodded as if in agreement with both Flora and Java. Heart Healer herself may not have thought anything about the fact that she was a crystal pony, but it did make her stand out. "I knew because you're shiny!" he explained. Seeing Java start with the weights, he put down his own and went to help Java with his form. "You need to support yourself here," he said. "Stress your muscles, not your joints."

As for the other notion that Heart Healer had seen him somewhere before, he turned back to her and simply asked, "Did you see the Games?"

"Oh right that," Heart replied to both Flora and Java's responses. She felt kind of silly that she didn't know how much she stood out in town, guessing that being always amongst Crystal Ponies blinded her to the fact that she was a very unique sight indeed. She was glad Flora introduced herself rather than using her mane as a security blanket.

Oddly the engineer still kept his compulsion to exercise, perhaps as a way to prove to himself as well as Heart his manliness. She blushed hearing him call her lovely. Bluk Biceps it seemed became dazzled by her crystalline form. So much attention she received was amazing for a simple psychologist pony who thought of her beauty as at the bottom of the list of priorities.

"Yes I did attend the Games for a few of the events like the Ice arrow one. I suppose that better regulations will need to be considered after that ice cloud of death incident. Now that I think about it, I do remember you being on a team with a yellow Pegasus and a rainbow manned one, right?"

Flora giggled slightly at Bulk's simple response, but said nothing further about it. She simply watched as Bulk went to help Java with the form he was supposed to be using. Meanwhile, Heart was answering the question about attending the games, which Flora assumed to be the big ones that happened in the Crystal Kingdom not too long ago. Apparently Heart had been there, but it probably wouldn't have been too difficult for her to get in anyways. Flora herself hadn't gone. Large crowds had their good and bad points, one of the good ones being that it was less likely that ponies would notice her.

The florist didn't see anything in the conversation that she could, or wanted to, contribute to, so she remained quiet and watched the conversation play out before her. As she listened, her eyes drifted around, looking at the scenery. She was still paying attention to the group, even if she didn't appear to be doing so.

Watched as his form was being adjusted, and allowed himself to slowdown some so he could learn the motions. The results of the "burn" he was feeling was relatively the same. Only this time it actually stretched a bit further along his arm. The stallion could only guess he wasn't really lifting the things properly for the full benefit. It was an interesting feeling though. The only times he actually felt this was when he was lifting scraps of metal or heafty amount of tools. But that, was all just work. None of that felt anything like this.

Java then looked up to the two with a curious gaze. His own memories searching over the games that wasn't just the boxing segment. But he hummed softly when he couldn't recall anything. Honestly, he'd be interested to see this stallion box. He was built like a buckin brickhouse, and likely those muscles weren't for show.

Bulk Biceps nodded to Heart Healer, smiling rather proudly. "That's right. My team took silver in the Aerial Relay. Yeah!" he said, enthusiastically punctuating his sentence as though he were still cheering his victory at the games. "Enjoying your trip here?" he asked again.

He smiled to Flora, seeing her to be about as timid as his teammate Fluttershy was at times, and just said, "Nice to meet you, too.", almost as though he had toned himself down for her. Then he looked back to Java as he got the right form going. "That's it. Start with fifteen reps then rest. Then do the other side." he advised.

"I didn't take you for an exercise enthusiast," Heart replied as the earth pony continued to use the weights. She still could not understand the urgency to exercise now, abandoning the notion of going on the airship trip. No the world seemed to melt away for the stallion as he lifted away. Well one of her reasons to come to Ponyville was to observe, and so far it had been an eye opening experience.

Heart was taken aback as the energetic Bulk Biceps shouted a cheer when describing his victory at the games.

"Oh yes, I do remember that part of the games. You know Flora, you remind me of one of the members of the Aerial relay. She was a Pegasus and kind of shy like you. I forgot her name though. Anyway I am enjoying Ponyville very much and I have only seen a little bit of it. Have you lived in Ponyville you entire life Bulk Biceps?"

"Weell," Java began with a distant tone. as his eyes rolled back to the sky, like he was searching through some metaphorical thought bubble to find his explanation through his own memories. "Given I come from... two families. One who's very proud about what they have and normally large in stature, whom I am actually the runt... aaaannnd the other one's name I didn't care to associate with, due to their higher status and life style, until recently. AAAaaand, events that caused my ship to go temporarily out of order with needless violence, along with adding more unnecessary damages and scars to my body, which i will definitely feel sixty years from now.... along with the ones from boxing backincollege," Ok, so this wasn't really much of an explanation. Just his personal list that actually justifies his actions and strange impromptu thinking at this very moment. "And questionably degrading sanity as noted by a doctor I frequent," The pony added under his breath after his eyes darted to the opposite side of his head, after recalling a numerous of other incredibly unorthodox things he had done in just a matter of a day.

He then placed the weight down after noticing he's reached the fifteenth rep. "It helps takes my mind off things, and places me at some ease." He soon lifted the weight up with his left hoof, and repeated the process.

As far as his promised ride goes, he actually meant every bit of it. In fact, he wasn't in any rush to get there. This was the psychologists' day of personal study! To evaluate the rest of equestrian outside of the strange crystalline nation that only recently was freed from some sort of curse. He would only proceed when she felt the need to.

Flora squeaked slightly at Bulk's outburst, not expecting the enthusiastic yell as she looked around at the nearby scenery. It had the added effect of drawing the florist's attention back to conversation that was going on just in time to see Bulk tone it down as he said it was nice to meet her as well. She smiled slightly at him before turning towards Heart as she began talking about how the florist reminded her of somepony she saw on the same team as Bulk in the games.

Apparently Flora reminded the crystal mare about a shy pegasus that lived around here, who the psychologist had forgotten the name of. Flora wasn't sure who this mare was that she was so similar to,but she supposed it didn't actually matter all that much. Also, it seemed Java came from two very distinct families. Eventually, the earth pony stated that exercise apparently took his mind off of things.

Archived