Research and Development (Open)

Lux

Bulk smiled as Heart said she'd been enjoying her trip so far, but then shook his head at her question. "Nah. I've only lived here the last few years, when I came and opened my gym," he said, waving a hoof to indicate the building behind him again that so proudly bore his name. "I was born and raised in Canterlot,"

Turning to check on Java again, he added, "Now, do that a few times a session, every other day, and move up to heavier weights when those no longer feel like anything. Then you get big!" he said enthusiastically.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heart Healer expected something on a short answer from Java as to the reason why he wanted to suddenly exercise. What he gave was more of a glimpse into his past, how he was seen as the weakest of the members. He then backed up a little and added it was mainly to take his mind off things. While the psychologist wasn't an exercise enthusiast, she could tell a pony using a coping mechanism from a mile away. Some ponies used food, or shopping, or extreme activities to take their mind off a bad patch in their lives. There was also the fact that he did let slip that she was pretty before, and now having Bulk Biceps there made him feel that he needed to prove himself.

"I do find it odd that when you saw Mr. Biceps here you immediately wanted to exercise, especially with the... things you revealed to me before. Are you trying to impress me and Flora?"

Java pondered on the thought for a moment. Big? He allowed his mind to wonder to get an idea of what he would look like if he was actually ripped. Annd… he was actually sorry to even let his mind wonder that far. All he could imagine was a grossly swollen brown pony with bulging and pulsating veins that can be seen under his fur. “Mm…. Big? Perhaps not.” Reeling at the thought of looking completely out of proportion. But then came another sentence that drifted on his ears.

Java blinked at Heart Healer, and slowly tilted his head to the side. The look of confusion on his expression was probably the closest to text book definition of such a thing. He paused for a moment, the weight in mid lift before finally setting it down as he reguarded the psychologist. This time around, his answer was probably as simple as it ever was the entire day. "Uhm. Not really. Why would I do... that?" he asked. His look kept the blank appearance as he tries to find some sort of reason to why he might be trying to show off. Competitive? Sure, but lifting weights wasn’t what he’d call competition. And if he did compete in anything, it would be under the selfish clause of “For himself.” He then shook his head with a chuckle as he now stepped away from the rack of weights.

"No. I am not the type interested in showing off brawn. Least of my interest!" He stuck his tongue out with a playful manner behind it. "I just tend to get into more trouble than I care for. And stranger situations…” the pony’s expression went blank as several different flash backs occurred to him. He muttered softly to himself, “strange being an understatement…”

He blinked for a moment, and then allowed his eyes to return back to everypony. “Cunning and Clever can only get you so far if you find yourself being chewed on a both metaphorical and literal big cat!”

He then paused for a moment, and then turned back to the two. “On a curious note. Why would I be lifting to impress you two…?”

Flora blinked a couple times when Heart questioned if Java was lifting weights to impress the two mares. He hadn't seemed that interested in either of them, at least not in that manner. Her suspicion was confirmed when Java verbally questioned the question before setting down the weights and stepping away from them. She watched him as he spoke more, saying he wasn't interested in showing off brawn, saying it tended to get him into trouble. Flora furrowed her brow as she tried to figure out if the talk of the big cat chewing on him was supposed to be taken literally or not. He had said literal, but why would he have been chewed on by a large cat?

She was distracted by these thoughts just long enough to miss Java's question before deciding not to worry too much about the cat thing. So she kinda just stayed where she was, watching Java awkwardly for a few seconds before looking away.

Bulk Biceps ponderously turned his bulk to face Java, an almost sage look on his face. "Listen, friend, take it from me, don't do this to impress anyone. Don't do this for any pony but you, just to get as fit as you want to be to make you feel good, that's all that matters." he said, then smirked again, a little louder now. "Besides, why would you want to look like me? I barely fit through doors, I intimidate almost everyone and I can hardly fly!" he said, grinning at his own self-deprecating humour.

For a moment Heart thought that Java would admit that he was exercising as a competition. It wasn't the first time that her determination would be wrong and it probably wouldn't be the last. Psychology was like a treasure hunt of sorts and one had to gather clues to reach the cause. Sometimes though one could get led astray and need to rethink their options.

"No. I am not the type interested in showing off brawn. Least of my interest! Cunning and Clever can only get you so far if you find yourself being chewed on a both metaphorical and literal big cat! On a curious note. Why would I be lifting to impress you two…?”

"Well... err... you said I was cute and then when we met Mr. Biceps here you suddenly decided to lift weights and I thought the two correlated with each other along with telling me that you weren't the strongest pony of your family."

She realized that now Bulk Biceps and flora now thought she was silly to ask as her fretting grew more with this notion.

"Ok, I made a mistake you three. I rusehed to conclusions. I do that some times despite being told as a psychologist not to. I guess I try to find the root cause of why ponies are... well the way they are. Sorry Java. And you're right Bulk, ponies should exercise for themselves rather than just for others. And you don't look intimidating. In fact you're the first Pegasus I actually spoke to while here in Ponyville."

Archived