Castle Chaos (Open)

Lux

Pyro tilted his head at the question, his mouth opening, but no sound coming out. He had never tried to find out how much he could teleport at once. Usually it had just been him, plus anything he was wearing at the time.

"Umm... I'm not sure, but I imagine the distance would be less the more I was actually teleporting with me. I only have so much energy, after all." Pyro said in response to Lore's question. He waited there for the group to move on, watching for threats as he did.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hawk bent down a little, grabbing Lore's outstretched hoof. Then, letting out a slight grunt, pulled up the unicorn on top of the log. He gave a quick smiling nod to him before half jumping and half flying off the log, landing near Pyro. He looked around the forest a little, in case something was lurking nearby.

"Alright! Weird plants, roars in the distance, what's next?" he asked jokingly.

With the aid of Bulk Biceps and Hawkeye Lore got enough leverage to climb up to the top of the massive trunk.

"Thanks," he said as he used the higher vantage point to get a glimpse of the place. There was the road before them and the one that they traveled down, but beyond that there was nothing unusual in the area. It was in fact quiet... too quiet. The stallion jumped from the trunk, landing next to the others as Pyro explained the limits of his teleportation.

"That's what I thought would happen. Well when we return to this spot we might have to unload a few books before you try an teleport. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there."

They started on their journey when above in the skies dark clouds formed overhead making the forest look darker and more menacing as sudden gusts of wind blew through the trees.

Getting images of Mirkwood forest from The Hobbit when I'm writing this.

Bulk Biceps frowned as they started plodding through the forest again. Looking to the skies at the clouds and winds, he said, "I hope you brought something to keep the books dry when we unload them from the cart. If they're old, they'll do even worse in the rain than new books." That may have been another bridge to be crossed later, but it might also have meant a long time standing around in the Everfree Forest or under some cover waiting for the rains to pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Hawkeye looked up at the sky as the dark clouds began to set in. "Huh, you were right about the weather controlling itself on his own. That's freaky," he said to Lore.

As they continued walking, he noticed the forest getting darker and darker. Hawk could only hope it wasn't going to rain. Not only would that ruin the books, but he recently got his feathers styled! And the wind blowing wasn't helping either. A storm was going to be worse than just rain. Lightning hitting one of the trees could easily start a fire. The griffon sighed to himself and kept walking.

Pyro walked along with the group, looking up at the dark clouds rolling in. The others were talking about how the rain could ruin the books once they were in the cart. He looked back over his shoulder at the cart for a moment. Maybe...

"Lore, do you know how to create shields? We could probably use one to keep rain off the books if we need to." Pyro said, looking over to his fellow unicorn.

Lore looked up at the sky as he walked, careful not to trip over anything or worse veer off the path. It grew so dark that it was hard to tell that they were walking in the daytime.

"You're right Hawkeye, it is strange. I don't think that anypony can really understand why things can't be controlled. I don't think this place is going to let us get to the castle easily. As for the books, I do have in my saddle bags old cloths to keep the books safe and if need be I do know some shielding spells that will work. But for now we need a little extra light to make sure we don't get lost."

The stallion with a flicker of his horn created a small light that was enough to illuminated a few feet in front of where he stood. It was enough to check what was directly in front of them but not enough to comb the forest for any danger.

"Pyro, can you create torches for Bulk and Hawkeye? The more light we have the better."

As they continued the wind started to pick up stirring the leaves and twigs on the ground.

Bulk frowned a little. More light would be good, but with the wind picking up, holding anything flaming would not only be of limited use, but downright dangerous. "If we try and use torches in this, they won't stay lit long," he said. "In fact, it might only draw attention to ourselves. I don't know much about managing weather, but if I have to, I can still push clouds. That might give us enough of a break to get through if it gets rough."

• 1 month later...

Looking up at the sky, Hawkeye frowned slightly as more clouds rolled in, making it darker and more creepy than it already was. Luckily the group had magic on their side, as Lore's horn glowed like a flashlight. The unicorn then asked Pyro to make torches. Hawk agreed with Bulk though, fire in woods like these didn't sound like a good idea.

"I think I'll be fine," he said, "I just got to be careful, right?" just then, he felt a twig break under his claw, making a snap that could easily be heard throughout. He cringed. "Okay, maybe I should be more careful..."

Pyro looked over as Lore requested he make some torches. He looked around at the woods around them and the winds blowing through, and he bit his lip a bit. He had to agree with Bulk, that fire was not a good idea right now. They should be fine with the light Lore was providing, but to be sure he lit his own horn up, adding as much as he could to the light the other unicorn was providing. He winced at the sound of a snapping twig, looking over at Hawkeye as he spoke.

"Yeah, we should be careful. The Everfree isn't exactly a nice place, and that applies to it's denizens as well." He said, looking back to the path as the group continued. He really hoped they wouldn't have a problem with any of the wildlife around here, but he was prepared if any did come to attack them.

Having hearing the three declining the offer to make torches due to the weather making it unusable or could possibly attract unwanted attention.

"Alright, no torches," the unicorns said thankful that Pyro was able to provide some light. Overhead the storm was swirling and the winds were still swirling about but now it was starting to rain. Bulk did ask about moving the clouds to provide relief.

"Punching a hole in the storm is fine Bulk, but there's no telling how big the storm is. We just have to keep going and hope that the storm passes."

The path wound its way through the trees illuminated by the magical lights of the two unicorns. The benefit to the storm was that the growls and howls in the forest were silent. Suddenly a branch swept up by the air hit Lore in the side knocking him over.

Hawkeye walked a little bit more than silence. Although it was spooky, he liked listening to the sound of the wind. It was better than the growls in that distance, at least. Of course, the moment of strange peace was disrupted when it started to rain. He sighed, annoyed at getting wet. Dang, his feathers were looking all shiny this morning too!

The griffon simply kept staring ahead. Suddenly though, a strong gust of wind blew, picking up a large branch that flew right past his beak. Hawk was a little startled, but didn't think much of it until he heard the sound of it hitting something, followed by a pony falling. Immediately, he looked over to see Lore on the ground.

"Whoa! You okay?" he said, flying over to him and offering a claw to help the unicorn up.

Bulk plodded steadfastly through the driving rain and wind, wondering what it must have been like above the canopy where there were no trees to break the breeze. He quickly realized that he alone wasn't going to be able to do anything with these storm clouds even if he wanted to. He wasn't likely to get close to them without being blown far out of the way.

That wasn't to say they were totally in the clear however, as flying debris connecting with Lore Weaver's ribs made clear. As he was bowled over, Bulk trotted up beside. "Just relax a moment," he said, using his massive form as a windbreak between Lore Weaver and the elements. "Are you hurt? Don't try to move yet if you are, you could just hurt yourself worse." he advised. "Where did it get you?"

Pyro walked along in silence as he kept his light strong to assist with Lore's efforts to keep the path lit. It was windy and rainy, and he honestly wanted to get into cover as soon as possible. Not that he really disliked rain, but it made things like fire hard to use, and getting wet from it was not something he particularly enjoyed. He slowed to a stop as Lore was hit by some branch or something, laying on the ground after the hit. Still strapped in to the cart, he watched as Hawkeye and Bulk went to help out with the situation.

There wasn't really anything he could add to the situation, so he appointed himself lookout until the party started moving again. It wouldn't be good if some creature were to sneak up on them as they were helping Lore out.

Lore lay there for a moment, more stunned that in pain by the flying branch. Was the forest bound and determined to prevent them from reaching the castle in time before nightfall? Luckily he wasn't alone as Hawkeye and Bulk Biceps rushed to his aid.

"Thanks," Lore said while standing up with the aid of Hawkeye while Bulk provided a reprieve from the wind, "Yeah I'm ok. My side is a little sore but I can still walk. I don't think this storm is going to let up any time soon. Let's get going as soon as we can and hopefully we'll get under some thicker canopy to at least reduce the wind. According to what I've heard, the forest opens up into a series of steep cliffs before descending further into the forest. After that there is a river to cross followed by the castle. There is one thing along the way that I've always wanted to see, something that Princess Twilight spoke about."

• 2 weeks later...

Bulk nodded, as Lore seemed well enough to get up soon enough. He frowned, though, as Lore described the terrain ahead. "That kind of ground is going to be hard enough to travel when the weather is good." Bulk said. "Are you sure you want to keep going through all that? Whatever's in the castle has been there a long time, it can wait a few more days." No one could ever say that Bulk Biceps wasn't bold, but there was a line between bold and foolhardy and the conditions were such that this trip was beginning to cross it.

• 1 month later...

Hawkeye nodded as Lore spoke. Though he couldn't see much in the depths of the forest, he looked off into the distance as the unicorn spoke of the lands that they would experience up ahead. Being a griffon, he could probably fly down the cliffs and reach the castle with ease, though the strong winds would throw him off a bit. Not to mention the fact that with the exception of Bulk Biceps, none of the others could fly.Hawk snapped out of his thoughts when Bulk spoke, suggesting that they leave and come back another time. It was ironic, almost: seeing the biggest, most muscular pony he'd ever seen back down on this. However, Hawkeye thought differently.

The griffon turned back to the group with a determined smile. "Nah, we can't back out now. We're already this deep into the forest, right? We can make it the rest of the way. And if worse comes to worse, we can always hide out somewhere until this storm passes. There has to be a cave or something around here."

Pyro looked back at the group as they spoke about what was to come and whether or not they should keep going through this. He hummed a bit, looking back out at the surrounding area as he thought over what they should do.

"It doesn't seem like that great of an idea, continuing in this, but who knows when, or if, it'll get better? We should be careful, but I say we keep going." He said eventually, looking back at the group again.

So far this trip had been a calamity with poor weather, fallen trees, and now Lore being injured slightly. It was no surprise that he heard Bulk Biceps who he knew was strong considering if they should turn back. Pyro Blaze also questioned whether they should continue on their journey to the castle. But then Hawkeye's words inspired him.

"No," Lore said with a renewed sense of confidence, "I cannot, no, will not back down on this mission. Princess Twilight Sparkle is counting on me to retrieve these books and I made a promise that I would get it done. I know this is definitely what I imagined it to be, that things wouldn't nearly be as tough as they are, but we are in this together. As long as we help each other, we will be successful." 

He looked to see that there was an opening to the woods in the distance. Even better, the winds and rain died down slightly, not battering the ponies too much but still being a nuisance. 

"See, things are looking up, but we can't count on that for long. Let's go!" 

The four made their way to the opening in the forest hoping that things would be easier. Lore didn't think that they reached the castle but where they were was only for them to guess. It was then that Lore saw that they were all on a cliff overlooking a drop off and a path that snaked around the hillside, disappearing into the forest below. 

"Looks like we need to go down using that trail. Be careful all, I'm not sure how strong the path is." 

Bulk stoically listened as the others on the journey came to the conclusion that it was better to keep going. That being the decision, he certainly was not about to leave the group without any help he could provide. Nodding his agreement, he continued with them on the path until they arrived at the trail leading down the sheer cliff.

"Looks like we need to go down using that trail. Be careful all, I'm not sure how strong the path is."

Looking over the edge, Bulk couldn't argue with that. It would be particularly treacherous to navigate the cart. Looking over to Hawkeye, he suggested "Maybe we should fly down just off to the side. If anypony loses their footing we can spot them and keep them on the trail."

• 2 weeks later...

Hawkeye nodded with agreement as Lore inspired the rest that they should keep going. Good thing he wasn't the only one who was determined. The others agreed as well, and Hawk continued walking with the rest of the group, this time at a brisker pace. There was a break in the storm, and it was important to make the most of it.

However, the griffon came to a halt along with the others as they came to a cliff. There was a path around it, but it disappeared into the forest, and who knows where that would lead. Not to mention that would take a while, Bulk suggested that they could fly down, but off to the side. 

"Yeah, that could work. It'll be risky though."he said. Of course, everything they were doing was somewhat risky anyways. And besides, Hawkeye always liked taking risks. He smiled.

Pyro gave a small hum at Lore's insistance to continue on. Well, he had no real problem with it. He continued walking along, pulling the cart along behind him as he followed the group. Eventually, they came upon a ravine, with the only way across being going into it and up the other side. He looked down the path as the others spoke.

"We should have at least one of you two ready to catch anyone who falls." Pyro said after Bulk and Hawkeye spoke. He looked at the two of them for a moment before looking back down the path. "Well, let's go then." He said, heading down the path.

Lore Weaver looked at his surroundings as his three companions thought about what to do next. Two ponies could fly while two were forced to walk the path. It wasn't so narrow as to not permit a pony to cross, but with a cart things would be a little more dangerous as he would like it to be. 

"Maybe we should fly down just off to the side. If anypony loses their footing we can spot them and keep them on the trail."

"We should have at least one of you two ready to catch anyone who falls." Pyro said after Bulk and Hawkeye spoke. He looked at the two of them for a moment before looking back down the path. "Well, let's go then."

"I might be able to keep the cart stable if I walk behind and watch. But yes I definitely think that that would help Bulk and Hawkeye if you fly to the side just in case. I don't like the way these cliffs are unstable." 

He got behind the cart that Pyro pulled and watched for any sudden movement while making sure his hooves were on stable ground. He only got a short trot from the starting area when he heard parts of the cliff flake off below with each step he took. 

"That doesn't sound good. I think these rocks are shale which can flake off and crumble very easily." 

Bulk's wings flapped with the speed of a hummingbird as he lifted off the ledge and floated into the air beside the cart. The cracking rock didn't do anything to ease his concerns, though. Hovering close to the side of the cart, he placed one hoof firmly against it as though to try and keep it on the path and not allow any of the wheels to slip from it. If one of those wheels did slip, and the cart started to tumble, it would not be good for the pony hitched to it, either.

Archived