“the thing” survival

augercorn

Ruby heard Berry's call and groaned. She trudged into the room where Lightning was being worked on and leaned against the doorway, undoing her coat to cool off in the heat of the base. " What da heII good am I gonna do in 'ere Berry? I'm a repairpony! I fix broken sh!t, not bleedin' ponies! "

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rift had suddenly realized that no one was assigned a medical position in the base while he undid his own belt from his waist, and It annoyed him to no end he didn't notice until they had a injury with no one qualified to properly treat it. He inspected the wound, it hadn't hit the bone so there was luck on their side but he couldn't tell if it had hit a artery before berry started applying pressure to it but he knew from the lack of hole on the other side, the bullet was still in him.

"Tourniquet is only going to slow it down, we'll need to remove the bullet then seal and cauterize it" he had seen gun shot wounds treated, but was never the one treating. so he could only imagine what to do from what little he could remember. He wrapped the belt above the wound and tightened it as hard as he dared, wings where not something he grew up with and wouldn't want to make it worse.

On Lightnings second line rift shook his head "I don't think I've heard anyone say they didn't like you, except maybe ruby. But I don't think she likes anypony for the next million miles" he would've smiled at himself, but the blood toke all the fun out of it.

"Black, in the med kit, is there any pliers, and some thread, any type of thread? Ruby... Get Ash in here with his blow touch!" he was most likely going to get his @ss kicked for telling people what to do when the commander was right there, but he was not waiting.

Ruby raised an eyebrow and cocked her hips. " Are you sayin what I think you're sayin? You plan on cauterizin his wound with a fukkin blowtorch? You fukkin idiot! " She reached into her satchel as she strode towards him, retrieving her lighter and holding it out to him. ​" Here, either take this or I use my cigarette, but either is better than a fukkin blowtorch. "

Iditarod walked up to the door way. Seemed everyone was fussing over Lighting, with Rift taking charge by the look of it. He would voice his concerns after everyone was done with Lightning's concerns. He pulled a cigar from his pocket and lit it. Having a slow drag, then blowing a puff of smoke to the ceiling. He had some medical training, but it was more directed in a veterinary manner, and very limited. "Y'all best find some sorta pain killers before y'all go pokin' around inside his wounds, or burnin' any holes shut." He said loudly, "Otherwise, you'll kill 'im from the shock alone. Least give the boy somethin' ta bite down on, or else his screams will likely be heard all the way back to mainland." He cracked his neck to the left, trying to loosen up the moment's tension, "Also, if anyone's got any spirits lyin' around, in case we don't got morphine on hand, gettin' him drunk will keep his dumb flank quiet."

Rift felt the inclination to right hoof her to the face when she called him a idiot and his rifle was felling a tiny bit to heavy. one less round and one less ruby would be ideal but he didn't have the time nor the dedication to go though with it. But what really sold his frustration was her arrogance, disrespect and distrust of him at that moment. she wasn't try to help Lightening and she most certainly didn't look liked she cared.

"You don't burn it with a naked flame! you heat a piece of metal and press it to the injury and the blow touch is the hottest then available at this moment..." he unclipped his tool belt and drop every metal implement on the ground before toss the rest of it down with some force "Get Ash and stop wasting time NOW!" And pointed his hoof to the door not even trying to hide his anger.

Iditarod tranquilized his building rage with his suggestion for alcohol "Good idea, Any pain killers in the med kit? and Iditarod, could you find me a bottle of spirits?"

Black began digging through the med-kit for the items requested by Rift. Pliers, thread, pain killers... Well, two out of three wasn't bad. He took out the pliers and a bottle of pain killers, taking it over to Rift and handing the items to the unicorn.

"Here you go, couldn't find any thread, unfortunately." He said, apologizing to the stallions.

Ash was just finishing off putting up the guns he'd carried out and cataloging the ammo used, he still needed to get the guns back from Iditarod and Rift, but there was no immediate rush. As he left the armory and locked the door, there was a tingling that ran up his spine, someone somewhere needed him to do something g that involved fire, and if someone needed his flames then they'd get them. Ash had been wrong before of course, but that goat totally had it coming anyway; he retrieved his blowtorch from his bag and proceeded to go on a search for the others, Lightning looked pretty bad so it was only right to check on him, even if Ash was wrong about his feeling.

Ruby threw up her arms in exasperation. " Oh, gee, really? Well THANK'S for dat professor! An how am I supposed ta' know dat? I. DON'T. FIX. PONIES. " She spun on her heel and stormed out of the room, her tail swishing angrily back and forth. " I'm hitting th' showers, feel free ta spy on me if ya wanna get a cracked skull via my monkey wrench ya pricks. Oh, an if I see Ash, I'll be sure to tell 'em tuh head over this way so as to immolate our bleedin' friend 'ere. "

Iditarod watched Ruby leave. "That there is why I prefer the company of dogs..." he sighed, "If y'all got pain killers, just give 'em those. We go shoving painkillers and booze into the boy, he gonna die." He ashed his cigar, "Berry, when y'all are done fussin' over Lightnin', you best get on the horn with command and tell them what the buck is goin' on down here... also, see if you can get a hold of Thule. Find out why they wanted that Huskie dead." He had a long drag, "I got the pooch in isolation in a crate in the Kennel's storage closet. Just in case that doggy's got some virus or some such." He walked out of the lab, "Gonna go put this rifle back."

When Black handed him the bandages Berry immediately began to stuff the bullet hole with the absorbent cloth.

He then got the belt and wrapped it around the pressure point in the wings.

Berry then went back to the bandage and wrapped it up tightly! Using a figure eight to apply constant pressure

Berry was way to focused on saving lightning to hear what they were saying something about cautery? Berry really wasn’t sure about that?

He observed the pressure bandage and how it was seeping slowly, slowly.

Slowly

And then

the bleeding stopped! The tourniquet and bandage worked!

Lightning moaned

“Berry is … everyone o.k.?.”

lightning opened his eyes holding back tears . he looked around noting everyone in the room, and then back to berry.

no one else got hurt right? Ash, ruby?”

Berry nodded and said “you were the only one to get shot … besides the elk.”

Lightning smiled weakly and laid back down closing his eyes. And whispered “to bad it had to end like that, but my teammates didn’t get hurt …. And that’s all that matters.”

Berry felt his pulse it’s was weak but slowly returning to normal.

He turned to his guys and said “he should be fine. … lets all, let him rest. I’m going to go change.” He said looking at his now blood spattered clothes

Berry then got off the table and said

everyone take 10 relax, clear your minds then were going to decide our next plan of action regarding … this whole mess.”

Berry then felt lightning’s pulse again, it was growing stronger already. Berry smiled lightning may be an annoying punk but he was definitely pretty tough. He then let go and walked to his quarters stripping down and dropping his bloody clothes in a basket. He put on some long johns and sat down getting some well deserved peace.

first luna d@med week of winter!”

Ash zoomed down the hall with blow torch in hand as he neared the lab, he had to slide to a stop in order to avoid colliding with Iditarod, but ended up sliding passed him, snatching the rifle out of his hand as he did so. "I'll put this away! Do they need a blowtorch? Oh please say they do!" Ash bounced up and down in excitement, but didn't stick around long enough to hear his answer, instead sprinting inside the lab, "BLOWTORCH?!"

Black sighed in relief as Berry said Lightning would be ok. The pegasus talked too much occasionally, but he was still a good pony. Black left the lab out a different door, ending up in the lounge, where he sat down in the chair he had been occupying when it all started. He sighed again as he stared out the window, getting lost in his thoughts as he tried to figure out why the elks would go through such lengths to kill a single dog.

at hearing Ash insist "blow torch"

lightning jumped up backing away "hey hey hey guys i love a good bonfire as much as the next guy but uhh im fine, ... sorry i'm so hardcore."

lightning then stood up and walked to the sink cupping his hooves under the running faucet drinking what he could.

"ahh, well guys we got a bit of free time, i'm going to uhh relax."

lightning walked across the hall and into his room he then picked up his fitness magazine and oogled rainbow dash in her half zipped wonderbolt uniform. and made his way to the bathroom

Rift stopped what he was doing while Berry continued his own method of treating Lightning, he doubted himself. He wasn't a professional, would he really be helpful or would he only making things worse for Lightning with his over zealous obligation and lack of restraint. Was the bullet really still in Lightning, did it go all the way through, maybe it grazed the artery or cauterizing was the first stupid idea to pop in his head.

if he was right, Lightning could lose his wing.

If he was wrong, he may lose what little trust he may have had with the few ponies around him.

When Lightning left the room half spooked, Rift began picking up his equipment and replacing it into his Tool Belt. Then unloaded his rifle to offer to Ash along with the mags, quietly asking "How far would you go to ensure the health of a pony close to you? Because i can seem to find the line where i should stop trying to help"

Ash accepted the rifle from Rift and tilted his head at his concerns, "What the kid? Ah don't worry, I mean just look at him, he's right as rain. As for me? I'm gonna go lock these bad boys up." Satisfied that the use of his torch had in fact not been needed, Ash left the lab and walked off towards the direction of the armory, talking to himself to pass the time, "Wonder what we'll name the new dog? I hope we can call him Pupperoni, that name rules."

Berry walked outside. The cold air sapped away his will, and strength, it made him just want to curl up in a blanket to keep warm!

He scooped up some snow from his drinking glass and walked back inside. He sat the glass down and from his desk pulled out some wild Pegasus whisky. He poured himself a taste. And downed it, shaking his head from the strong flavor.

He relaxed a bit and looked at the map.

uhh, all right.” He said as he stood up from his chair slid a pen onto his suspenders and took the map off the wall walking into the hall. He went down the hall and couldn’t help but feel like something was watching him. His neck prickled and he couldn’t help but turn down the hall

at the end staring at him with blue eyes was the dog from the crash. It glared at him unmoving like a statue. This disturbed Berry, most of the huskies he dealt with were happy, goofy dogs filled with personality and charm, but this one just watched him, like it was sizing him up for a fight or something. Perhaps it was still in emotional shock from being chased and nearly killed? Either way Berry turned around and kept going down the hall. He didn’t know what Iditarod was doing with him but he was the dog expert and knew best.

He set up the map in the lab, in a spot where everyone could see.

He heard lightning coming up behind him “need anyhelp sir?”

Berry turned around and shook his head. “Doc lancet is hiding around here somewhere would you want him to take a look at it?”

Lightning shrugged and said “your bandage seems to be doing the job. Besides when Rainbow dash did the second Sonic rainboom she trained for 10 hours straight, stopping only for water and food, this …” he said lifting his injured wing “this has got to be nothing compared to that.”

Berry sighed and walked over to the intercom

“attention Team, this is your commanding officer, break time is over, everyone meet in the lab so we can discuss our next course of action.”

Black continued staring out the window as he tried to figure out what was going on with the dog. It was a very strange situation, the elks being so determined to kill a singular husky. What was wrong with the dog? He would probably have to collect some DNA or something and test it. With that in mind, he stood, only to be interrupted by the intercom coming on and Berry telling the crew to meet up in the lab.

He sighed slightly before giving in and making his way into the lab area, sitting himself down in his chair as he awaited the others.

Lightning watched Dr, Black come in and sit down.

hey sir?” he asked berry, who ignored him and stared at the map.

‘SIR, this is ground control to major berry!” he said in a sing songy voice, before giving him the stuff it sighn and went over to talk to black.

“hey sir, you don’t look to good, want me to get you some thing to eat or drink from the freezer?”

Black looked up at Lightning as he asked his question about getting something from the freezer. The scientist smirked slightly before standing and patting the pegasus on the back.

"Nah, I'll get it myself, you're injured." He said before walking to the kitchen and opening up the freezer, frowning at the pony inside.

"Doctor, get out of the freezer. I know I'm not a medical doctor, but sleeping in the freezer isn't good for you." Black said, pulling the doctor out of the freezer before pulling out a drink as well and closing the door.

Lightning Frowned and stopped black Boom from taking the doc out

"Trust me sir your not waking him up, he'll come when he's ready."

He then walked along side black and asked him "so any idea what's going on? Or are all elk just like that? a bunch of crazy dog eating gibberish spewing maniacs?"

Rift wondered into the lab and half leaned against the wall next to the door, still wearing his cold weather gear and a lot less angry. The Adrenalin was still surging though his system and he found it difficult to stand still for more then a few seconds and constantly rearranged his tool belt around his waist, but he eyes never left Lightning. His concern had taken over his thoughts and no matter how hard he tried to think of the other things, they always slid back to Lightning's wing and if he really was fine or just acting tough.

He knew he was being creepy. If anyone stared this hard at him, he may have caved their face in with something. But just couldn't look away and felt he needed to say something before lightning started to get the wrong idea...

"How's your wing Lightning? Any problems with it?"

Archived