QuickLime's Character Helpdesk{Open}

QuickLime

gallery_1275_566_32549_zpsb6ae6f17.png

Hello everypony! And welcome to QuickLime's character helpdesk! For when you need a creative kick in the pants, for those stubborn elements of a character before you post! As I am not a member of RPH, one can assume that anything a staff member says over me is correct, but as I have been given the greenlight to make the thread AND have made a nice reputation for myself as a character building expert I feel I can help the community with tricky aspects of their character before they even post the application!

Here are a few areas in which I can help you better your character, or simply give you ideas for them that you are free to use!

thumb_blog-0058783001377213768.png

• Names
  • Cutie Marks
  • Cutie Mark Symbolism
  • Special Talents
  • Species
  • Backstory
  • Sue Check
  • Stu Check

(if it's not clear,please only one of these per post! They are categories I can help in, not a form!)

A sue/stu check is primarily for WOE (World of Equestria), as the standards are a bit stricter there, I'll inform you if your character seems to have elements to them that could be seen as mary/gary sue/stu ish and that you might want to calibrate them slightly!

If your character is for the looser FFA (Free for All ) or the more adventurous CC (canterlot chronicles ) Please designate in your post where they are for!

If you require help, please post using this handy template and I will get to you ASAP! You can ask as many questions as you want, but do give others a chance to ask as well =)

Template

| |

| |

V

Area requiring assistance:

Type of Rp:

Additional Info:

Alright that should do it! I put it here because FFA, WOE, And CC people all have access to the area!

The helpdesk is now Open!

thumb_blog-0058783001377213768.png

I guess I'll go ahead and toss one up into the air, for a check.

Though I have a heap of ideas for new characters, I'd rather develope the ones I already have more, till they are unique as an respectable individual, than just a stamp with a basic amount of information before I move on.

That being said, I'd like to do a few Checks with Java. Most of the information on his Profile for background is probably out of date, and inaccurate now, since I did almost a complete reconstruction. Talent remains the same. And so is his Occupation, except that it now practically expands widely now, given he's a workaholic.

Really, the original inspiration behind him was actually Computer Science, and Calculus. But after witnessing a few funny bugs in games, and developing more of an engineer and programmer humor, I went ahead and added software Bugs and engineer sarcasm to his inspiration. Which is the main source of his names, and colors, and behavior.

That being said, He's energetic and eccentric, perhaps a bit daft. Even when he goes on days without sleep. He's prone to constant digression, mumbling thoughts to himself, pacing, and nonsensical actions. Such as throwing normally important manuals into a fire place, or providing bizzare examples for usually complicated (or simple) explanations.

photo-9584.png?_r=1416876179

Portrait by the friendly neighborhood, McDerp.

Name: Voronoi Fractal (Nick Named and prefers to go by: Java. The coffee kind)

Cutie Mark: Made some changes to the design. Though there is a gear there, the gear is only a symbol of a family tie with the most influence. Much like the apple family. The biggest focus is the Sigma.

Old:

cmark_moonshinetheleocat.png

Possible New:

Forgive the chicken scratches, and random lines. This is only a rough draft I did while not in the best of shape.

untitled__4__by_tangletailpro-d85s3se.png

Cutie Mark Symbolism: Gear represents the family line that holds the most influence over him growing up. Which was the "Gear" family. Names still a work in progress. This family usually becomes the more technical workers, mechancis, train pullers, ect. The Sigma Represents his actual talent in computation.

Special Talents: Computation. It has nothing to do with computers. It's an applied manner of mathematics. From simply problems like how many apples are left in a tree. To complicated algorithms, like calculating the distance of the moon after so many years from the earth. And it's something he can do in a matter of seconds.

Species: Earth Pony.

Backstory: A current check with his backstory is fine. If it's Ok, then I don't see the point in changing it. But I personally couldn't care for it. Basic Summery For new Background

-Born in Manehatten to an Earth Pony Stallion, "Gear Shack" and a Noble Unicorn Mare "Star-Breezer"

-moved to Canterlot; Likely to his grandmother's" for a better education.

-The treatment he received as a Noble began to unnerve him. Ranging from un-earned admiration, dis-respect to ponies usually seen from other nobles, ect.

- He snaps and decides to go about things his own way.

Stu Check: Please.

Other information:

-He does not care about being a Noble, and went as far as destroying his own reputation as a colt, and being sure he was forgotten about, or allow what ever rumors that had occurred about him to go unchecked. He's not willing to completely renounce his name, as it would mean to denounce his own family.

-His main occupation is as a lead Engineer in a firm in Canterlot. Though, his restless nature constantly has him jumping out of the window to aquire more jobs. So he doesn't waste time usually spent sleeping.. Can easily have anywhere between 2 to six jobs at a time. His main always being at the engineering firm. While the others could be as trivial as flipping burgers, or waiting on customers.

-Still not much of a sleeper. Will usually be awake for days on end, and only sleeping when he drops.

-Still has his love for coffee. And can easily be irritable without it.

-He has a tendency of overlooking large details, but always notes smaller details. These sort of things tends to cause disasters in his work, which he knows is eventually going to happen at some point.

-Never feels disheartened by Failure, and looks at it as progress. And becomes displeased when nothing wrong happens.

Any advice you have also helps.

The only thing that pings a Stu to me is this part

-He does not care about being a Noble, and went as far as destroying his own reputation as a colt, and being sure he was forgotten about, or allow what ever rumors that had occurred about him to go unchecked. He's not willing to completely renounce his name, as it would mean to denounce his own family.

I know how WOE works, and nopony as a colt has a "reputation" for being Noble, save the canon sisters, and MAYBE Fancypants, but the only ones we saw give a flying feather about them were Rarity? It's a bit of a stretch to assume ponies are spreading rumors about him, or care about his reputation as a colt, and it seems a bit much to assume that his family name is so important that he cannot act freely of it without renouncing it :P

That and this bit right here...

-The treatment he received as a Noble began to unnerve him. Ranging from un-earned admiration, dis-respect to ponies usually seen from other nobles, ect.

- He snaps and decides to go about things his own way.

Is fandom poppycock, nothing in Canon suggests that "noble" ponies have un earned admiration, or disrespect due to title alone, that is right up there with "All unicorns from Canterlot are snobby" In my book :P

Overall he's a really well rounded character, but these aspects really seem unnecessary to me :)

I am actually basing this off of what I have seen, so there is some foundation rather than me just saying "Oh this sounds cool". Nobles in both the show, and small cases on this forum tends to keep up with local ones, or big daddies, regardless if they knew them personally or not. Notice how the high status civilians in the episode quickly change their attitude when Fancy Pants is involved? Nothing implies that they know him personally. After all, he barely acknowledged them. Not to mention the time of the Galloping galla, allows them to mingle about each other. Essentially what I mean by his reputation, is literally just his existence. He basically becomes that uncle hidden away in the attic. An idea I actually borrowed from a really old play. Or was it a book. I can barely remember, it was some odd years back.

As far as the Admiration part, probably a better way of saying it is, he feels patronized. Even then that's probably not the better word for it.

He has some insecurities involving pride. And that's not really caused by anything from his past. It's just the way he is, growing up. Went from a humble sized apartment, where you do things yourself. Fix things yourself. Be proud of what you got. To a mansion in the middle of high class, Equestria filled with butlers. Then a private school. It's not something he's accustomed to, and it's not something he can actively adapt to.

I've been stumped on a particular character o' mine for quite awhile so me thinks I could use some assistance.

:)

Area requiring assistance: Special Talent

Type of Rp: WoE

Additional Info: I'll try and break it down a bit so you don't have to read so much text. Not all the info is here but if you want more details, let me know.

eventideresize_zpsf3ed7a76.png

History

Hazel is an adult mare who lives in a mansion with her parents, Honey Bliss and Daddle Doodle. Her brother, Flaxen Feather, is also a current resident. Honey is a doctor and Dabble is a successful inventor so they are very wealthy to say the least. She's very close to both parents and is inseparable from her brother.

One day, Flax offered to let a unicorn named Vesper stay at their place as a housekeeper. Hazel of course wanted to make friends with Vesper but he didn't talk much at first. Over time he warmed up to her more than anypony else. She and Vesper are now very close friends. Perhaps even closer than they realize.

Flax and Hazel created an enchanted comic club, hoping to make a connection with a community of fellow fans. They took to calling their club Infinite Realms

Character Summary

To put it simply, Hazel is a ham. She adores attention and thrives on it. Nothing seems to embarrass her and she treats everypony like she's known them her whole life. She tries to find amusement in everything and is always looking for ways to make herself and others laugh. The little things in life entertain her to the point that it's nearly impossible for her to ever get bored.

She never stopped liking the things she loved as a filly. Mac n cheese, stickers, candy, and plushies will forever hold a special place in her heart. She especially loves gummies and documents each new type she eats in her scrapbook. Hazel hopes to one day find and eat every type of gummy in the world.

It's a personal challenge of hers to make Vesper smile. So far, she's only been successful a couple times. But that's rather impressive considering. Being a lover of hoof polish, Hazel will paint his hooves if he sits still long enough. And if he's not careful she'll give him a full fledged makeover.

Even though she has a good sense of fashion, Hazel has a soft spot for tacky things and will often wear crazy apparel for the sheer sake of amusement and attention.

She has a pet cat named Mr. Princess who's nickname is Prince.

Cutie mark Suggestion: groucho-glasses.jpg (cept with a pony nose)

Special talent: Wonderful talent of using ordinary items to do extraordinary feats of comedy! Able to bring a smile and a laugh with ease, the cutie mark also symbolizing that careless whimsy of youth she's never lost ??

Being a comedian would be super fitting. Hmmm. This gave me an idea. Maybe she makes and sells all sorts of handmade doohickeys. Most of them being comedic and/or tacky. And she has like a mini shop of goofy gimmicks. So technically turning ordinary objects into something funny would still be her talent. Kinda like Esty.com type stuff. XD

Being a comedian would be super fitting. Hmmm. This gave me an idea. Maybe she makes and sells all sorts of handmade doohickeys. Most of them being comedic and/or tacky. And she has like a mini shop of goofy gimmicks. So technically turning ordinary objects into something funny would still be her talent. Kinda like Esty.com type stuff. XD

Sounds good to me!

Archived