A Gathering of Griffons (ATTN: Hawkeye and Pyro)

Lux

riptide_by_kitsune85-d6xp5x9.png

Winter had come to the beach, and while there wasn't any snow on the sand Riptide could tell that the season was upon him. All the tourists were now back at their home towns and cities and the beach was largely empty save for a few locals walking along the shore. But there was certainly no swimming, it was too cold for that. Even the always optimistic brightly colored griffon knew when to close up his surf and beach shop for the season, even when he kept it open long after the other tourist places shuttered for the season.

It felt weird standing at the shore without his trusty board by his side, his constant companion on the beach. But as he looked out to the sea a thought came to mind as memories played back having fur with a certain goofy griffoness.

"I wonder if there's like more of me. It would be totally awesome to have some griffon buds nearby to keep the fun going strong after the ponies of summer have gone."

He shook his head at the silly thought that of all the ponies living in Equestria he'd get to see some griffons in town.

Baltimare... It seemed like a nice place to be. Probably would be better during the summer, but oh well, he could always come back. That was one of the beauties of his job, he could set his own hours. As long as he wasn't already on a job, anyways. Currently, Tehengu was on one of his job hunts at the moment, and it had brought him to the beach city of Baltimare.

"Maybe something interesting will actually happen this time." The large brown griffon said to himself, hovering in the air as he looked over the city. He was wearing his full gear, his weapons strapped to the back of his armor.

He eventually decided to head down to the beach for some relaxation before going job hunting. At the very least it would be empty. Well, emptier than normal. He took off, flying over the city towards the beach and setting down in the sand. His one good eye scanned his surroundings, taking in the small number of ponies and the lone griffon on the beach with him.

Hawkeye's claws dug into the sand of the beach as he walked. It was his first time being in Baltimare, and although it was probably better in the summer, he liked the town. There was practically nobody on the beach, except for a few ponies and a very brightly coloured griffon he spotted out of the corner of his eye.

The griffon had nothing to do except wander the town today, so he walked up to the clear waters of the ocean and dipped a claw in. Immediately, he jumped back a little. "Oh feathers, that's cold! No wonder no one's in the ocean today..."

As if hearing his words, a griffon landed nearby him on the beach dressed in armor and carrying a number of weapons. Riptide wondered why he looked like he was prepared for battle on such a calm place. Before he could ash though another griffon could be seen walking closer but near to the ocean. The brightly colored griffon couldn't help but laugh as the other but his talons into the ocean only to retract at the cold.

"Yeah you totally don't want to go for a swim in there now," Riptide said, "If you were here in like six months ago the water would be perfect. Well it looks like we have an awesome griffon convention convention going on here. I'm Riptide by the way, your personal tour guide to my home beach! So what are your names?"

Tehengu watched the second griffon as he walked along the shore, eventually dipping his talons into the undoubtably cold water. The mercenary smirked a bit at the reaction from the griffon before the colorful one spoke up, drawing his green eye to rest on the first griffon. He walked over closer to Riptide before responding to the question, his large frame causing him to look down slightly at the other griffon.

"My name is Tehengu. Nice to meet you." The large griffon said, looking down at Riptide and extending a claw to shake.

Hawkeye spun at the sound of voices to see not only the brightly coloured griffon, but another one two he must not have spotted, wearing pretty fancy armour. It seemed odd to be wearing that much armour and carrying those weapons at a nice place like this, but oh well. He had his bow with him, as always.

The griffon found himself laughing along with the others, despite the embarrassment. "Yeah, that was a pretty dumb move there, wasn't it?" he said, turning to Riptide, the bright coloured one. "Name's Hawkeye. You live here, huh? Must be pretty nice in the summer."

• 3 weeks later...

Riptide couldn't help but chuckle at Hawkeye trying out the cold water. Clearly the griffon wasn't used to seeing the ocean like the brightly colored griffon was. The heavily armed griffon approached which surprised how big he was compared to Riptide as the surfer had to look up at him. He seemed nice enough despite his prior intimidating look.

"Totally nice to meet you," Riptide said accepting the talon shake before noticing that the other griffon introduced himself,"And nice to meet you too Hawkeye. Yep this beach is my home her year round. I take it that you two aren't from around here? It's awesome here during the summer with all kinds of ponies having fun. Of course being able to surf is great too. Now all the tourists have gone home and the stores opened for them are closed so it's just those who are locals here pretty much. You know, now that there are you guys here I have something that I might want to try, something I couldn't do as I was busy lifeguarding and teaching ponies how to surf in the summer. That is if you're up to a little adventure."

Tehengu glanced over at the second griffon as he introduced himself as Hawkeye. He smiled somewhat at the griffon as he laughed at his own mistake. Then his gaze turned back to the colorful griffon as he shook his talon. The mercenary listened in silence as Riptide spoke, saying they were in the off-season, so it was pretty much just the locals around.

"No, I'm not from around here. I live near Ponyville." Tehengu said in response to Riptide's question. Then came talk of Riptide wanting to try something out now that he had two others with him. Tehengu raised an eyebrow at that, looking at the colorful griffon questioningly.

"What would this entail?" He asked, wanting to get a bit more information before he agreed to anything.

"I'm from Aquelia, griffon kingdom, born and raised," said Hawkeye, smiling a little. "I do travel around a lot, so I'm around other ponies a lot. Never been to Baltimare though."

He then listened as Riptide talked about what the town was like when it wasn't tourist season, how only the locals hung around here. He looked at the bright coloured griffon curiously as he then spoke of something he wanted to try. An adventure, he said. What was he planning? Hawk wondered.

Of course, the griffon was always up to doing something fun. He was a bit of a risk taker, and was pretty curious to know what Riptide was planning. "Sure, I'm in," he said with a smirk. "What do you have in mind?"

"Ponyville huh?" Riptide said trying to picture a map in his head of Equestria. Although he never visited it, he knew the place was more North and landlocked. Definitely not a place to swim or surf.

"I'm from Aquelia, griffon kingdom, born and raised," said Hawkeye, smiling a little. "I do travel around a lot, so I'm around other ponies a lot. Never been to Baltimare though."

"Well I totally know where that is. I was born in Clopton Shores in the south of Aquelia but then moved here."

The griffon smiled at the two who were intrigued by his plan. He could go alone but it was dangerous and frankly not fun. But now he had a team, a trio of griffons.

​"Ok, so I was kind of depressed when the tourists went away and it was too cold to swim. So I went around town and found an antique shop. I thought this place would totally not be my speed, but it was actually pretty cool. I bought this neat picture of a ship. But just when I got it home, I dropped it and the glass broke! I was bummmed and began to pick up the pieces and that was when I saw it: a treasure map. So if you follow me to my house which is on the beach we can start this treasure hunt off right."

Goonies references will abound in the rest of the thread!

Tehengu listened as the others spoke of where they were born. Was that what the question was about? He had thought it was a question of where they were currently living.

"I was born near Las Pegasus, but I spent plenty of time over in Aquelia as well." Tehengu said, clarifying what he thought the question was about now. Then came the explanation of what Riptide had in mind for what he had wanted to do. Treasure hunting? Well, it sounded like something to pass the time with, at least.

"Sounds like a good time to me. I'm in for your treasure hunt." The large griffon stated, nodding to the colorful griffon.

Hawkeye smiled as Riptide explained how he found the treasure map. It sure sounded cool. If the treasure was real anyways, there was always the possibility it was a scam. But hey, it was about the journey rather than the destination... or something like that. But who cares, a treasure hunt sounded awesome! Tehnegu seemed interested by the idea too, as he agreed. Well, this would be an adventure.

"Sounds cool," he simply said, still smiling.

"I was born near Las Pegasus, but I spent plenty of time over in Aquelia as well."

"Never been to Las Pegasus either," Riptide said as he led Tengu and Hawkeye to his house, "Maybe I need to make a list of these places to go to especially when it's the winter."

The house sat on the edge of the beach, while having access from the boardwalk. It was a two story bungalow looking place with a balcony overlooking the beach side and a door on the first floor.

"Alright, so let me just get this place open and the lights on and we'll get set," as he unlocked the door and stepped inside. As the magical lights glowed to life, the open space revealed itself to the other griffons. It was a fairly sizable store with a variety of beach related items for sale. Anything from towels to sand castle making items, to large umbrellas would be here, but now many of the shelves were empty at the end of the season. On the walls were talon made surfboards for ponies and griffons hung like an art gallery with a few places empty where boards were purchased. There was a set of stairs leading to the upper floor and a corner of the shop walled off.

"Welcome to my totally awesome shop! Excuse the mess but it's the end of the season so I have time to restock and clean up during the Spring. Anyway, to the workshop where the map is!"

Through the open door, was a space that had a large workbench with a variety of woodworking tools, waterproof paints and varnishes, and surfboards in various states of completion. On the workbench was a map that looked old and familiar.

"So what do you think of the map? Looks like this very beach doesn't it? And see that cave? Looks like whoever made it took great care making that place, and I think I know who it may be. Have you heard of the legend of One-Eyed Whinny?"

Tehengu gave a small grunt at Riptide's words as the three of them headed to the colorful griffon's place. When they arrived, he entered last, allowing Hawkeye to get in before him. He looked around at the largely barren shelves as Riptide spoke, saying he restocked in spring. Made sense, he supposed. When the group moved off to the map, he followed them into the workshop.

He spared a moment to look at the various surfboards in various levels of completion before looking at the map. It certainly seemed to be a map of the beach outside, and there seemed to be a cave that was presumably the destination. Of the first part, anyways.

"One-Eyed Whinny?" Tehengu said, blinking his singular eye in confusion. "No, that doesn't ring any bells." He finished, looking to Riptide. If this was some kind of joke about his ruined eye, it likely wouldn't end well for the surfer.

Hawkeye followed Riptide into the shop, with Tehengu behind him. It was a nice little surf shop, filled with boards and other beach-like things. There wasn't a whole lot, but that was probably due to the fact that it was off-season at the moment. Too bad it wasn't summer, Hawk hated the cold.

His attention turned to the map Riptide had pulled out for them to look at. It did look an awful lot like the beach, down to the details. However, his eyes drifted to the cave that the other two were looking at as the colourful griffon spoke of the One-Eyed Whinny, whoever that was.

"I've never heard of him either," he said, looking up. "Is that like an old...uh, griffon's tale?" Hawk almost laughed at himself when he was about to say 'old pony's tale.' Good thing he caught himself. Being around ponies all the time was really starting to rub off on him.

In his mentioning of One-Eyed Whinny Riptide noticed that Tehengu did tense up due to having a patch over one of his eyes.

"Sorry Tehengu. I totally wasn't trying to make fun of you. That's just the name of the pony, that's all. And you're right Hawkeye, I don't think many have heard of her. I didn't know about this pony until I found the map and did a little research by talking with a historian. It's actually a pony and griffon's tale combined. You see, One-Eyed Whinny was a fearsome Pegasus, a pirate who sailed the waters around here. She was called One-Eyed after facing another pirate, this one a griffon. The two battled and eventually the griffon pirate was forced to retreat but not without the cost of Whinny losing an eye. From that day on she swore revenge on any griffon to sail upon the southern waters of Equestria. In her reign she sunk many griffon ships and claimed much of their treasure, hiding it in a location where only she and her trusted crew knew. Her actions though also brought the attention of the Equestrian Navy who saw her looting of ships bad for business so the as well as the griffons sought to bring her down. She became paranoid that her crew was planning to mutiny so one by one she had them thrown overboard. The last that anypony or griffon heard of One-Eyed Whinny was seeing her ship right off this very coast and then suddenly disappearing, never to be seen and never to feel One-Eyed Whinny's wrath again. So I believe that this map is one that One-Eyed Whinny kept to get to her awesome supply of treasure, and with your help we can find it. I don't think though that it will be easy though as I'm sure One-Eyed Whinny made plans in case that anypony or griffon should come looking for her treasure. So what do you say, are you up for a little treasure hunting?"

Tehengu gave a grunt at Riptide's assurance that he wasn't trying to make fun of the large griffon. Good. He relaxed a bit, simply listening as Riptide explained the story. So, some pegasus pirate sank a bunch of griffon ships, took the treasure, and hid it somewhere. Well, they had one thing in common, they both lost an eye while fighting a griffon.

"Sounds interesting. I'm in." Tehengu said, nodding to Riptide. This was essentially a job now. He was going to go through this cave in search of treasure and get paid for it, assuming there was an actual treasure.

As Riptide told the story of the One Eyed Whinny, Hawk couldn't help but smile a little. Now this mare sounded cool, fighting off griffon pirates and taking treasure and everything! And to think that that treasure could be somewhere on this beach? He had to see for himself.

"I'm in too," he said in agreement with Tehnegu, still smiling.

Riptide hoped that relaying the tale would help explain a little about the map he found. If anypony or griffon told him the same tale without seeing the map he would think of it as a cool pony's tale. Bu to his delight the two griffons not only enjoyed it but were willing to go.

"Awesome," he said folding up the map, "Ok, so adventuring isn't my strongest suit, but I have ready a few things like a first aid kit a rope, and not to mention this."

With that the griffon grabbed what looked to be a crystal on the end of a metal tube. Twisting the top the crystal crystal glowed a bright light that could be useful in dark caves.

"I have enough for the three of us so I'm prepared. It looks like you have several things Thengu for exploring. So do you two need anything else?"

Tehengu looked at the tube Riptide had pulled out after saying he had some basic supplies for the adventure. Apparently the tube would give off light from the gem on the top of it, so that would be useful inside the cave. He looked at the colorful griffon as he mentioned the large griffon's name, nodding at the words.

"Well, the only other thing I can think of that we might need would be food and water, since we don't know how long this is going to take. Otherwise, I'm ready to go." He said, looking to Hawkeye to see what he had to say about it.

Hawkeye looked at the crystal flashlight. Huh, that looks useful. The group seemed to have enough supplies to go. The griffon didn't have anything on him besides his bow, which in a bag on his back like it usually was. Good thing he always had it with him, that might come in handy.

He simply shrugged in response to Riptide's question. "I think we're good. Should we go then?"

"Right, food and water," Riptide said smacking his forehead with his talons, "Can't believe I forgot the most important thing, well aside from the map and you guys. Let me get a few things." 

The griffon flew out of the workshop as the sounds of clanking metal, running water, and the rustling of something like a bag could be heard. No sooner had he left he returned with a sack filled with items and three canteens filled with water. 

"Alright, so I got fruit, nuts, some pretzels, and even some candy. Good thing I stockpiled some things for the winter. Alright let's get going!" 

Riptide exited the house and orienting the map looked down both parts of the beach for where to start. 

"So according to the map, the beach ends with a rocky cliff area. Looks like below the cliff there is the cave. There must be a way to get in when the tide is low which lucky for us it is now. But it wont be for long. It should be a short flight down the beach, so let's get going!" 

Tehengu watched as Riptide flew off somewhere, making a bit of a racket and eventually returning with a bag and some canteens. The bag apparently had various food stuff in it, so that was good. He nodded as Riptide said they should go, following him outside. Once there, he looked at the map and up and down the beach, looking for the cliff Riptide had mentioned.

"Yes, let's get going." He said after Riptide had finished speaking, flapping his wings and lifting into the air as he awaited the others to join him so they could head off to the cave.

Hawkeye nodded with a slight smile as Riptide left for a moment, returning back with some food and water for all three of them. He had candy too so all was good! 

"Alright!" he said, flapping his own wings and followign the others out of the house, catching up with the others outside. 

((Sorry for the short post, I'm in a bit of a rush right now :P))

With the supplies loaded and the other griffons ready to go, Riptide took off into the air, flying low as he skirted the water line where the waves lapped on the beach. The griffon soon saw the rocky formation of the cliff coming into view, forming the boundary of the one side of the shore. It was a place that he had of course seen before but other than using it as a landmark he didn't think much of it.

"You two have to come here at night sometime and go up on the cliff," he said while flying to their first destination, "It looks totally awesome seeing the starts and the moon reflected on the water, and the way it juts out like that you feel like you're in the middle of the ocean!"

At last the griffon landed where the cliff stuck out over the ocean. The area once covered with ocean now revealed a series of jagged stones where the tide splashed up against them, threatening to swallow the area again. In the shaded area there was the opening to a cave that was only big enough for a griffon to slide through. 

"Alright watch the slippery rocks and follow me into the cave. It'll be a tight squeeze so we'll need to file in one by one."

Archived