Telling a... Story? (Open)

Ashton

"Aaaaaant then, Whoosh and zap and woooooooh" said the blue griffeness to anyone who would listen. She wore a captains coat and had a sword at ehr side, in her claw was a tankard of some kind of ale. She smirked as the finished the drink and slammed it down at the bar she was sitting at "Another, Jack!"

"The name's not jack..." commented the barkeep as he refilled the griffen's tankard

"Thanksh, Jack!" said the griffen, her words beginning to slur

"The name's not jack..." repeated the barkeep as he went to server another customer

"Oh lets have a go at it, lads!" shouted the griffeness "a hun'red tanks o' ale on th' wall! A hun'red Tanks o' ale! Yah take one down, yah pass it..." at this point she ducked down to a conveniantly placed trashcan, there was the sound of heaving, then she wiped her beak "*ahem* ...Aroun'! 99 tanks o' ale on th' wall! 99 tanks o' ale!..."

Clearly it was going to be a loooooooong night...

• 3 weeks later...

The dragon sitting not far from the drunk griffoness was growling to himself as he finished off his drink and slammed the cup down, signaling the barkeep with the help of a glare that he wanted more. He had come in here to relax, and of course he had picked a place with a girl like that.

He would move, but he really didn't want to go searching for another bar now. All he really wanted to do was either get drunk enough that he wouldn't care anymore or kill the annoying hybrid. Actually, both would probably be preferable. As the griffoness started on her song, she would suddenly find a scaly hand closed around her beak, forcibly keeping it shut. He then pulled her gaze to him and glared at her.

"Shut. Up." He said, his voice practically dripping with malice. He glared at her in silence for a second or so, as if his gaze would make her keel over. He then roughly pushed her face away and let go, going back to his new drink.

The griffen smirked and there was a dangerous twinkle in her eye "wots th' matter, mait? dont like my singin'?" she asked standing and staggering over, putting her arm around his sholdier, and immediatly pressing her raygun against his side, whispering "your just what I've been looking f', mait, why dont we go have a nice little chat?" clearly she was nowher enear as drunk as she had been pretending to be...

(Raygun? That seems really advanced for this world...)

Aranak gave no response to the griffoness's actions aside from a warning growl. He didn't even look at her, simply taking another swig of his drink. Really? She was threatening him with something like that? He was tempted to simply kill her now, but he refrained, mostly from not wanting to be thrown out of the bar. Then again, he could probably still stay, force them to let him stay.

"Don't threaten me if you know what's good for you." He said, his tone not changing from earlier. "You want to talk? Go ahead." He added, his voice more even now, though there was still an edge to it.

((I dont know why I bother, I should have given up on using Harle by now, after so many times being told a character like her's not allowed, I should have known as soon as I got her through someone would try to get her banned for another reason... I'd think that after we just had an episode saying "yes, griffens are jerks, but they're Jerks with a Heart of Gold' that other members would be willing to give a Type III Antihero griffen a chance... I should have known better, I'll probably just let the dragon kill her to save me further harassment...))

((and for the record, the mod I talked to about her did have a problem with this, it's actually a very primitive, yet realistic design - there's an enchanted flashbulb in the back of the gun and when the trigger is pulled it sent a pulse of light through a ruby rod which turns the normal light into coherent laser-light. A single pulse is damn powerful (enough to blast a hole in metal) but more importantly, it generates heat, which a heat-sync on the rod collects and redirects to two small reservoirs on the gun that contain water which the heat boils to turn tiny turbines (remember we have a hydro-electric dam so turbines exist!) and this electricity is stored in capacitors, which, when fully charged, turn on a light ont he gun, Harle flips a switch and this time when a blast is fired (plasmafying the air and lowering it's resistance) an electrical discharge immediately follows, creating a "lightning gun" which is much more harmful to living things than a laser. I'm handwaving the focusing saying there's a spell that automatically focuses the laser on the target. This is a world full of unicorn mages, that seems like a very tame handwave!)

"Yeah, well dont threaten Sky Pirate Harle when her whole crew's wait'n outside the door, mait" she smirked "I never thought I'd lay eyes on a dragon we could snatch up like this, so I ain't wasting the chance," she explained "I'm not a completely heartless bloke though, you do what I ask and afterwards you can go free, if yer useful enough I might even letcha join the crew, plenty of benefiets to that one" she smirked "or my crew and I can find out what a dragon steak tastes like, your choice"

(I had no problem with her, I was just confused as to how a griffon could have a working raygun. I mean, with a unicorn the gun could just be a focus while they provide the energy. Anyways, it doesn't matter that much. Just that raygun makes me think sci-fi, but a magic gun sounds like something that would be viable in this type of setting.)

She had friends with her... Of course she did. He gave no outward response to any of her words, taking another swig of his drink as if nothing was happening. He finished off the drink as the griffoness finished speaking, and he cast a glance at her as he put the cup down, though he didn't take his hand off it.

"You want me to work with your crew? Fine. I've had worse jobs. I am not a prisoner though. If you try to take me prisoner, I will kill you." He said, glaring at her slightly. He was willing to work with them, but he would not allow himself to be held captive.

((sorry, really shouldn't have posted that rant when I was so depressed... and I was originally going to call it a "Magitech DeathRay" but that feems like it's over-selling it's power... not that it *cant* kill, just that it usually doesnt))

Harle shrugged "I dont give a rats tail what ya call it, say yer grantin' me a wish 'cuz your secretly my fairy godmother, see if I care, just do the job so I can save my mate or you'll find out how dangerous Sky Pirate Harle cand her crew can be..."

She lead him outside and int eh alley she called "WE GOTS US A DRAGON!"

There wa a cheering as close to two dozen ponies and griffens made their way out of the alley... as it turns out, she really wasn't joking, and mroe than likely the dragon would at the least be under quite a challenge to defeat them all...

Aranak kept his gaze even as she spoke again, essentially agreeing to his terms. He grunted slightly before taking another drink and walking out with her, looking at the ponies and griffons that emerged from the alley. Really, he wasn't that impressed with them. The main challenge would have been the numbers he was contending with. Oh well, it didn't matter anyways. The dragon took a swig from his drink again as his gaze traveled over the gathered ponies and griffons. Eventually, he turned back to the female.

"What kind of job am I supposed to be doing?" He asked evenly to her.

((you _do_ realize that unless your an earth or electric dragon, then your going down in just a couple hits from Harle's lightning gun, right? Dragons are weak against electricity in nearly every circle I've seen...))

She turned back to him "your going to help us navigate a dragon temple in search of a treature that were were... requested... to retrieve for an... employer..." she spoke the words, but the way her beak grinded on them it was clear she hated the 'employer' and would rather not go after teh treasure, but if arnak had paid attention and caught her slip earlier about her mate, he would likely be able tp piece together the deal she got caught in 'your mates life in exchange for the treasure'

"Will one of you featherheads signal Turncrank to bring the ship down?" asked Harle with a rude tone

there was some arguing among them but finally somone pulled out the flare gun and sent up a flare

"The ship will be here momentarily" said Harle "Hope your not clostraphobic" she smirked

(I never said he wouldn't... I don't think I've ever heard of a lightning weakness on dragons, but whatever.)

Hmm... So it was one of those type of deals. That's why he never got close enough to anybody for it to matter if they were to be taken hostage. Still, he could get the treasure and leave, with or without saving whoever got captured. Aranak watched the flare go up for a moment before turning back to Harle.

"Of course not." He said simply, staring at her evenly.

((really? Interesting, different lore, different authors... in other words I take it your dragon is strong against lightning? Now I'm very suspicious why he's working for Harle... my guess is he's planning to eat them all))

"Ugh, I would be stuck with the bloke who hates the world, why couldn't it have been one of those more animated dragons that wants to talk and make jokes and snark like in all the books..."  she shook her head

It wasn't long before a spek was seen on the horizon. The airship didn't seem so big... wait no that was because of the distance, it was still... no it was still far away! when it finally got overhead it cast the whole town in shadow - though purely because of it'sposition in the sky, however this was still no little rowboat, this was a full-sozed galleon

There were cries fromt he locals and arros were flying towards the ship and the pegasai and griffens whop were headed for it, ropes were thrown down for those without wings. When all ehr crew had gotten far enough, harley turned and pulled what was clearly a bomb from her pocket and used her deathray to light the fuse "SHUDDAP YA YOKALS!" she yelled at the town as she threw the bomb, it landed and exmploded with a quiet *FOOFT* covering the whole area in a thick smoke. Harley snickered as she flew on towards the ship.

The ship itself had two large masts to catch the wind, and a railing all the way around the deck, in fact it looked like this ship was convertable to go int he air or the water. at the far end of the large deck was the Captains Quarters, on the otehr end was the wheel and there were several open hatches that lead down into shadows below deck. Overall the ship was kept in good condition, except for some scrapes and scratches from swords or claws.

(Well, I just haven't heard about that being a thing before. He still could be weak to lightning, I don't know what the lore is for that... And while he doesn't really care about their lives, he's not really out to eat them. There are easier ways to get a meal.)

"You caught me in a bad mood." He said, looking towards the horizon. Eventually, the ship came into view, and it looked to be a big one, if the distance was any judge. Sure enough, it got bigger as it came closer, and eventually reached the city, revealing itself to be a full-sized ship. The dragon smiled slightly at that, lifting off the ground as he flew up to the ship and landed on it. All in all, it looked rather nice. He looked back over the railing, smirking again at the cloud of smoke that had come from Harle's bomb.

((I get the feeling that your character really is evil, while mine here are all either antivillians which span the whole scale from I to V or, as a whole, antiheros. Though harley's a type III, some of them are as bad as a type IV or even type V, I mean it's a pirate crew after all, but none of them are quite 100% evil, or are atleast, as I said a type I antivillian who's kept in check by Harle who wont allow abolute evil to be a part of her crew...))

"Alright you scumbags, get below deck and make ready for the last hour!" called harle

The crew gave varied responces all the way from mild excitement down to utter disgust, whatever this 'last hour' was it certainly served to animate the crew.

Below deck the area for the crew was... cramped... Harle wasn't kidding when she talked about claustrophobia, strung between all the support pillers were hammocs without a single bed in sight, though at the back was a roaring fire, no doubt also feuling the ship's engines, the pirates either sat around on the benches built intot he walls or else climbed into hammocs, a few pulling out books, but most seemed to be watching intently at the bow of the ship where a small stage had been errected... 

(Yeah, kinda. All he really cares about is himself, as well as getting himself more power and wealth. I have two characters like that, really.)

Aranak turned back to Harle as she called the crew to get ready for something she called the 'last hour.' Strange. After a few seconds, he decided to see what that was all about, and headed down with the crew.

The dragon was not expecting things to be this crowded, and his large body only made things worse. There was no way he was sleeping down here. For now though, he steeled himself for an uncomfortable time watching whatever was coming on on that stage. Whatever it was, it had better be good.

Harle took a seat on one of the benches, though it was otehrwise empty and as she did they  were treated to a griffen making it's way to the front of the room, or the bow of the ship where it was narrowest

a pony nearby leaned over to the dragon "get ready to cover yer ears she's a screacher" he laughed

When the griffen began what could only be called singing in the loosest deffinition of the word, most of the crew indeed covered their ears or equivolent auditory openeings and several started throwing things at the singer. Harle just sat there and snickered, what the purpose of all this was did not seem clear unless it was just a way she tormented her crew every night... on the other paw, some of them might be good at singing and it be more of a reward... tonight though was not one of those nights...

The dragon grumbled a bit at the pony's words as he watched a griffon approach the stage and climb onto it before beginning to sing. Not good singing at all, but he guessed that was what it was supposed to be. Aranak had his claws over his ears as he tried to block out the sound, his opinion of Harle not improving at all with this little display. If he were not being subjected to it, he might find it funny, somewhat, but still, this was not the type of thing he planned to put his allies through unless they deserved it. His gaze centered on Harle, and he glared at her as if his gaze would kill her where she sat.

Harle glanced unconcerned at the dragon, pulling out the strange weapon --- this was hte first time the dragon saw it, it looked like something out of a comic book with a wooden handle, metal body, and a blass tube with a red rod in the center and a large piece of copper on top that lead to the sides --- and she spun it idly around the trigger-guard, causing it to fire off randomly, making several of her crew scream in terror or pain and several new burn marks in the room... though she smirked a little viciously "if you think you can do better, dragon, go on up there and try" she suggested

almsot immediatly the crew began urging him to perform - though they didnt specify what kidn of performance, clearly this was some kind of 'open mic night' event- and harle just smirked, casually holding her gun with her claw on the trigger, though not pointed at the dragon, the threat was indeed there...

((yeah... Harle certainly practices http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArtisticLicenseGunSafetywith her weapon...))

(Not even sure what I should have him do... I'm having a hard time thinking of what kind of skills he has that could be made into a performance... I think the stuff he would be best at would either be unable to be shown since it doesn't involve anything physical, or it would be the kind of thing you would only really see on the battlefield...)

Really now? She was trying to force him onto the stage at gunpoint? His eyes narrowed at her as he essentially ignored the crew around him. His eyes traveled over the weapon she had, analyzing it as best he could.

"You are not forcing me onto that stage." He said with a growl. "You are not the boss of me. Nobody is."

((doesnt matter, most of it's simply to humilate them, though it raises the otehr crew'd moral to ahve somethign to laugh at and as several get a turn every night, it means the whole crew can decompress.))

The talking stopped dead, the only sound was the whiring of the motors as the crew began to move away from the dragon

"iffn I tell ya to dance..." she flicked a switch on her gun, making a crackling sound "Then ya better dance!" she said, pointing it directly at the dragon, then without hesitation she fired, the beat for a split-instant was only an intense heat, even if it hit him unprotected, then it only left a tiny burn, but down that beam a split-instant later came a blast of lightning, not intense enough to kill him by any means but it was no doubt intensely painfull and probably left him smoking from it

"Now... why dont you perform soemthing for the rest of the crew" she smiled calmly, nodding at the stage. Yes, this cow was 110% insane...

Aranak stared the female down as she spoke, aiming and firing her gun. Before he could move out of the way, he was struck by a bolt of lightning, making him jerk involuntarily for a second before he recovered, looking even angrier than before. He glared at her menacingly, a low, almost feral-sounding growl escaping him.

"You will pay for this." He growled at her. He still didn't move towards the stage though. "I agreed to help you get the treasure, not degrade myself performing for you."

Archived