The Delightful Draconequus! (Open to all!)

Hawkeye12

ipct9e.jpg

Discord was a creative creature. That went without saying of course, but he always has been and probably always will be. He still likes to occasionally sit back and remember some of his best ideas, both before and after reformation...though, the ideas coming after were very few. 

But this had to be one of his greatest ideas yet! 

On the outside it looked like an ordinary white tent, probably something you would see at any other part of the expo. The only thing setting it apart was a sign that read in a crazy looking font: Come inside and meet Discord, the Delightful Draconequus!  (He came up with the name himself, and how it fit perfectly! Who could be more delightful than Discord, after all!) But on the inside? Well, for one, it was certainly a lot bigger than it seemed from the outside. And...it looked like the inside of an ordinary tent. 

But not for long anyways! Discord's lips curled into a smirk as he stood inside, assessing the situation. And then, it was showtime.

Snap after glorious snap, the inside of the tent began to transform. Purple grass! Floating pies! Dancing apples! Wait, purple grass? No, that was boring. Make the entire floor bouncy! Oh, and Discord lamps, Discord lamps everywhere! If only he could make the entire tent float as well, but then how would ponies be able to come and visit?

And to think he hadn't heard that the World Friendship Expo was in town until today! How had he not heard about it before? Ponies and creatures of all shapes and sizes, all walks of life, coming together to celebrate none other than friendship! It was like Celestia was practically giving away friends! And what better way to make them than to show him all of the amazing powers of his abilities, right?

With the final touches of a few miscolored frogs scattered about, Discord hovered himself above it all, letting out a wonderful cackle of a laugh. His own little capital of chaos, just like the good old days! It was just too bad that he had to confine it to one little tent though... 

But no matter! The tent of chaos was now open for visitors! Discord smiled, his serpent-like body curling up into a throne he had made for himself, sitting right in the middle of it all.

jCrcZ1Ml.jpg

This was so cool! Presteza's first friendship expo! She could hardly believe what she was seeing, so many awesome looking exhibits and stalls and things lining the streets. There was even a Changeling tower on one block, Celestia knows how they were allowed to set up here after the previous invasion attempts, Maybe their queen wised up and decided to try the peaceful route. Hopefully they wouldn't try and invade again somehow, but even if they did, chances are that they'd just be sent packing again with their tails between their legs. One of the exhibits she definitely planned on taking a peek at was the Saddle Arabian exhibit, she'd yet to visit those sandy regions yet, perhaps a quick look at their section of the Expo would save her a trip... but probably not.

But then she'd seen a rather curious site. A white tent... in itself not an strange site, but with all the other luxurious and magnificent exhibits and stalls around it, it stuck out like broken hoof. Pressy wasn't sure what to make of it just yet, but she sure as sugar wasn't gonna found out what the deal was standing so far away from it!

The mare trotted towards the tent at a brisk pace and once she got a closer look she stopped and then slowly poked her head in front of the entrance, her paint dipped braid dangling on the grass below as she went wide eyed at the sights she saw. The mare marveled, her eyes as wide as saucers at the miscolored frogs hoping around, she let one land on her hoof and then looked at it curiously before it leapt on her face. While some would grimace as the creature landed on her muzzle, Pressy just giggled and levitated the little fellow back down to the floor.

Once she looked up at the owner of the tent her jaw practically hit the ground... considering who the owner was she was a tad surprised her jaw didn't suddenly stretch all the way to the floor. It was then that the Mare took a few steps in only to find herself airborne for a moment and then again as she bounced around the exhibit.

"Cel, Blimey!"

*Boing!*

"Yer discord!"

*Boing!*

"I can't believe I actually get ta meet ya!"

*Boing!*

Upon her last bounce she took hold of one side of the throne the Draconequus sat upon and smiled eagerly as she hoisted herself above the bouncy floor, "So... why are ya in a tiny space like this? with yer magic couldn't you make this tent bigger on the inside?"

Solar smiled as he strolled through the streets, marveling at all of the different exhibits. This would be his first World Friendship Expo, and so far, it had been quite a sight. A wonderful feeling washed over the young unicorn at the thought of everypony in Equestria getting together for a peaceful rally. Of course, it was not hard to believe that some would rather hold past grudges, but today was a day of more joy than anything else, and that was what he was going to focus on.

Well... That, and a few other things. Tucked safely within his saddlebags was the paperwork for his newest experiment. He had been coming up with ideas for the past week on how he could cause a pony's pelt to glow in the dark. Of course, he had absolutely no intention of testing it out on anypony. Rather, he just felt reassured when he kept his newest works close to him.

While looking at the exhibits, he noticed the rather... peculiar white tent that seemed to stand out more than the others. It did not seem to be decorated, which the young stallion found to be a bit strange. Nevertheless, it pulled slightly at his curiosity, and he cautiously approached. He opened the doors and stepped inside, and almost immediately fell over, caught off guard by the bouncy floor. Stepping cautiously, he looked around at the strange scene, but froze in his tracks once his eyes beheld the strange serpentine figure curled up on a makeshift throne. At the realization of who it was, the young stallion became more or less too nervous to approach any further.

To Discord's surprise, it wasn't long before the first visitor arrived. Oh goody, this was going well already! And what's more, she seemed to be outgoing sort, which was quite refreshing considering almost every pony's reaction to him was something along the lines of, "Ugh...Discord..." But then again, getting ponies to think otherwise about him was exactly what this booth was supposed to do!

The draconequus' smile grew even wider as the mare bounced around excitedly before landing right by him. Score one for the bouncy floor! "Why yes, I am Discord! The Lord of Chaos, at your service," He said in greeting. Wait, why not look the part? Discord snapped again, making king like robed as well as a flashy crown appear on him. Much better.

Discord then tapped a claw to his chin in thought as the unicorn then suggested that he make the inside of the tent look bigger. His eyes lit up after a moment as he looked back at her. "Of course! Why didn't I think of that?" Immediately the tent looked as if it was mutating, growing to a much larger size on its own. But on the outside, it was just w normal tent! Genius!

"Now then, what to do with the extra space...." he said, his mind going through the possibilities. "Music! Yes, music would be wonderful!" And with that, instruments began to appear around the perimeter of the tent, dancing around and playing odd polka music on their own. Of course there were more possibilities, but those would come later. A few surprises were always needed, after all!

But then Discord perked up in curiosity as another pony appeared, another unicorn. Though he seemed to be frozen at the entrance. Well that was peculiar, he couldn't remember any ice blowers being involved for this....was he scared? Hm...

"One moment," he said to the mare before teleporting himself over by the entrance, smiling to the stallion newcomer. "Hello, hello! And welcome to my...exhibit, I suppose it's called. No need to be nervous, I am friendly! Pie?" He spoke cheerfully, pulling the said pie out from seemingly nowhere. Of course, this pie would be one of his first 'surprises,' as a bomb of chocolate was placed inside...

Bright lights, blurring noises, the ground barely reaching up to your hooves and while you float along the ephemeral fairgrounds you hardly care what strains drag you along on their fiber-ropes like a balloon to the site of your next dream.  The faces are all of strangers that all seem that they would turn any day into friends, and all the while you're absolutely convinced that this is all as real as day and you will wake at any moment into a world of illusions...

Such would be the thoughts of an insomniac, wandering the friendship expo in a comfortable haze of sleep deprivation.  As a point of fact, Sky Sailing, budding pegasus musician, was never sure if he were awake or dreaming at any one moment.  While his style of music reflected that state of mind, he was attracted by any strain of it that reached his ears, and so did the polka pull him along until he reached the tent.

The instruments playing by themselves seemed to settle the question quite definitively; the teal stallion was dreaming.  He brushed a shock of brown mane from over the lenses of his fight goggles; he wore them along with an air filtering mask over his head, not an outfit usually seen at such low altitudes.  In fact, he'd never had to use either of them for their intended purpose, given his languid, coasting style of flight.  Sky just wore them because he was more comfortable with something between him and the world.

The unusually interesting sight brings forward the eyes which tow the rest of you like a tugboat across the dry sea- *BOING*

Sky's scattered wagon train of thought skidded to a halt as he was bounced in the air suddenly at first stepping foot into the tent.  Instinctively, he flapped his wings into a hover, seeing the pair of ponies about him, and the draconequus in front of him!  Not having bothered to read the sign, he had no idea that he was in the presence of the Discord; he only felt this further evidence of his dreaming state.  As such, he played along with the apparent lack of logic about him.

"Oh, hello," Came the muffled voice behind the pilot's mask, "I would like to join your music, if you can spare an instrument.  Anything will do, just a banana if you have one.  You can make beautiful music with a banana."

kiwPli0l.jpg

Presteza giggled as she witnessed that robe and crown appear on Discord's form. A grin spread across her face as the delightful draconequus took her suggestion, "This is so bloomin' cool!" she squeaked out as she let herself drop from the floating throne and back down onto the floor and resuming her bouncing around. Soon she found her hat sailing off her head from her highest bounce and then landing on the head of a pegasus who seemed to be having quite a bit of fun with the exhibit as well. "Mind if I have that back when yer done with it, bruv?" she asked with a playful smile on her face as she bounced by the stallion as their host offered a shy looking pony some pie.

While this mare in particular was glad discord was eventually brought to the right side in the end, she had to admit she had a blast on the day that he'd escaped and started messing with the Equestrian landscape. By the sunstamped backside of Celestia, that day was like living in one of Surrealist or abstract paintings she drew on occasion.... not to mention the insane awesomeness that was chocolate rain! She was happy the day ended and things went back to normal of course... but maybe being the creative sort, she had a bit of the chaos in herself? Well doesn't matter now! 

The mare eagerly bounced across the room and took a hold of a blue banana and after pealing it took a bite, a loud honk escaping the other end. "This is just too fun!"

Solar looked around in confusion at the sight. Of course, it explained a lot if Discord himself were in here... and it did seem like everypony there seemed to be having fun. However, the unicorn could not help but feel a little bit overwhelmed and a bit uncomfortable at the sight around him. Usually, his mindset was based mostly around reason and logic, so walking into a small tent that seemed larger on the inside harboring a bouncy floor, self-playing instruments, and blue bananas that made honking sounds was more than a little out of his comfort zone. Then again, Discord himself seemed friendly enough, much more so than the stories he had heard, and he smiled politely at the offer of pie.

Before Solar could say anything however, the pie suddenly exploaded, coating his face in chocolate. Surprised by this, the young unicorn yelped and fell backwards, wiping the chocolate from his face. He had a strong urge to write out a string of insults, but the practical joke seemed to awaken the child within him, and instead of a torrent of insults, there came laughter. He stood up and cleared his throat. But instead of speaking, he wrote out in dancing blue letters: "It's very nice to meet you, Discord. My name is Solar Flare. I have to say, you seemed to have put in quite a bit of work in here." He began to bounce on the floor.

Discord couldn't help but let out a laugh as the chocolate bomb did its magic and exploded in the stallion's face. Some gags just never get old! Even the stallion began to enjoy himself after a moment's hesitation. He also introduced himself in a peculiar way, and Discord tilted his head a but as he read the words before him. 

"Not a talker? Ah, no matter!" he shrugged, giving his best welcoming smile. "Welcome to my lovely tent, Solar! Yes, I wanted this tent to be a place where every pony can enjoy themselves, no logic required!" The draconequus began to bounce around himself at that, and some confetti rained down, a nice touch if he thought so himself.

But then a new voice arose, and Discord turned his neck a full 180 to see a pegasus stand before him. "And hello to you as well!" he said, the rest of the body spinning around to fully face the teal pony, who was asking for a banana to join the music with.

...He blinked.

As weird as it probably was, Discord did surprisingly have a normal brain, and as such, could be caught off guard by things. Not a lot, of course, but somepony saying something words that were just as random as his was enough to do it. He gave the pony a curious look for a moment. Maybe he was really playing along with this, or maybe he was crazy. Or both! Either way, that last thought was enough to snap him out of that hesitation.

"Yes, of course, a banana! I hope you don't mind blue!" He spoke quickly, as if his mind was catching back up to him. With a snap, the musical fruits began to appear all around the tent, including one right in the pony's hooves. The mare seemed to take to one instantly. Discord smiled even wider to himself. This was just getting better and better!

Usually, in dreams, there is something familiar about the ponies one meets. Either their faces or voices correspond to memories or imaginings of chance souls one has met, or at least read about. And yet... Sky could not place any of the ponies here into his book of memories.  Not that it was a very large book; his acquaintances and friendships were few but deep.

Wisps of strange imaginings or not, though, they all seemed friendly enough.  One of them had bounced her hat off onto his head, and he tossed it back to her, slipping off his mask to better speak to her.  "Sure, here you are.  I don't wear hats; they steal the breeze meant for a flyer's mane, and often run away with it.  I don't like to chase them when they do decide to blow away, go free and far as the wind will take you, I say."  He smiled a bit at the rhyme, filing it away for a future lyric.

He did wince a bit though at the honk that emitted from the banana the mare bit.  "I... don't think that one's in tune- oof!"  He was almost knocked hooves over pinfeathers when Discord summoned the bananas in the middle of the air he was flying in.  Like most of the objects in this tent, they tended to float, letting him grab several and form them into a kind of curved set of pan-pipes, which he blew across, summoning notes resembling those of a carnival calliope.

In fact, he'd gotten them together just in time to play a humorous riff on the exploding cake, which was greeted with laughter by the pony who received it, fortunately.  But that was all in keeping with the dream; it was a place where nonsense was to be enjoyed, rather than received with irritation.  After running up and down a few arpeggios, Sky launched into a happy tune, breaking off to sing a few bars.

"Mid-air; fall asleep beneath the fight deck,

of a wallpaper airplane.

Would you care, which way down was now,

And if your pilot was sane?

Hover all through the night,

And we can pull the clouds around,

The ceiling fan sky-lights.

Summer smiles again, 

And you can disappear,

But I'd rather be here!"

His wasn't an emphatic voice, he sang happily enough, but in soft tones, only a shade brighter and more energetic than a lullaby.  It was music meant to shed the cares and stresses of big-city life which, truth to tell, had rather wound him up since he came to Manehattan.  It felt like he had been in the middle of a giant, pony-powered clock, mechanical and regulated, but wound just a little too tight.

jCrcZ1Ml.jpg

The painter eventually managed to bounce her way closer to discord and smiled eagerly, "Oh, sorry fer fergettin' ta introduce myself. I'm Presteza! S'awesome ta meet ya Mister discord." The cream colored mare took another bite of her bluenana with another honk and giggled again. "I had a question or two for ya, if ya doon't mind." she said before bouncing excitedly in place, "Would ya ever say ya consider yerself an artist? I mean a lot of the stuff you make is really creative!"

Suddenly the mare's ears perked up and she looked back at the floating pegasus with a smile, "That was awesome, mister! if ya sing another song do ya mind if i join ya?"

(sorry for the short post, :( )

Ninety percent of the time, Solar would always have himself secluded in in a seemingly impenetrable shell of maturity and silent masculinity. His current behavior however completely contradicted his normal stature. The other two ponies seemed to be having fun, so why would it be so wrong for him to display a fun-loving side he had kept sequestered for years? However, as he bounced around in the abnormal tent, he felt a bit out of place around the others. They seemed to fit right in to all of the chaos happening around them, and it made him think that they themselves had a spark of insanity. Solar however, never considered himself at all insane. Disturbed and shy, yes, but not insane. Of course, that did not stop him from trying to fit in.

"If you don't mind, I would also like to join. I've been told that I have a nice voice." He wrote.

As Discord was watching in amusement as the Pegasus stallion began to construct some sort of organized instrument with the bananas, the mare had bounced up to him again, introducing herself. "Ah, yes, nice to meet you as well!" he bounced one in the air, spinning around as he did so. "So many friends! Fluttershy will be so proud of me!" He quickly realized that his thoughts were coming out loud now, but it didn't matter. Nothing mattered but happiness and chaos! 

She then asked an interesting question to the draconequus, one he couldn't say he had heard before: was he an artist? "Hm, hard to say really," he paused for a moment, taking in all the madness in all of its glory. "It depends on what you call art, I suppose. I do make lamps though!" With that, he snapped to make the lamp appear before Presteza. The question was about to make Discord go into deep thoughts about what was art, but he decided to go with the short lamp answer instead and save it for his thinking tree. 

But of of course he had forgotten about the wonderfully odd pegasus, who had apparently finished making his banana pipes and was playing a tune. Quickly, Discord made the self-playing instruments quiet down so he could hear better. It really was a nice song. "Lovely!" He said once he was finished, his mismatched hands clapping. In fact, the other two seemed to have liked it so much that they wanted to join too- even the non talker! "I guess I'll join as well. Not fast paced enough for my singing tastes, but it'll do. I also have some har- er, backup!" He gestured to the other instruments. The word 'harmony' still tasted somewhat bitter on his tongue, even if it was the double meaning. Maybe it was because he was using it in his natural chaotic setting, he didn't know. But oh well.

As the song came to an end, Sky Sailing softly landed on top of the bouncy floor.  Since the pegasus did not come down forcefully, he didn't end up bouncing, until Presteza bounded over, springing him back into the air.  "Whoo!  Hum, yes, I wouldn't mind.  Um, though some of the things I sing can get... a little odd, or sentimental.  Sometimes both."

It was odd that the normally introverted musician was so outgoing here, but then, everything about this place was specifically and specially crafted to be odd; if a pony went along with it, they let out those parts of themselves which would throw their daily routines into, well, chaos.  As seemed evident when the writing pony volunteered to actually sing.  "Oh, sure, I don't mind.  Well, hm, I guess we'll make a band of it!"

And wouldn't you know it, Dischord volunteered as well!  Four was a good number for a band, but that left unanswered the number that they would play.  "Erm, if you want fast, somepo- someone else may have to take the lead.  None of my songs are quick or powerful.  I mean, I'm not, so I can't exactly write like that..."  He blushed a bit in front of the company at the admission, hiding his face behind the bananas.

Archived