Hello, can anyone show me around?

FluffyShoggoth

Hi there, everypony!

My name is Fluffy, I'm very new to pony role play scene. I'm a Gaia Online veteran, been role playing there for over 6 years but I figured it was time for a change. For a while now I've been wanting to try pony role playing, as I love the series, but I couldn't find any good websites for it. I really hope I've found the right one this time. If there is anyone that could help me get acquainted with everything it would be appreciated greatly!

I generally prefer semi-literate role playing, basically a few paragraphs at a time, so not too long but not too short. I would prefer to be working with original characters over those already in the show. I also would prefer to start with a 'slice of life style' role play, maybe with a touch bit more? I currently have no OCs to play as yet as I'm creating one currently. I'm not sure what I should be looking for on this site to meet those requirements so I hope you can help me. Everything is different to what I'm used to and a lot of the role plays I've seen are either private or closed so I'm not sure where I'm meant to go or who I submit profiles to.

I'm very excited to get started!

Welcome to Canterlot!   :D

I like the name.  Though I am struggling to imagine what that looks like.

I can give you a basic rundown of the RP areas here (or others if you like, though those seem to be pretty self explanatory).

There are 4 roleplaying sections in Canterlot: World of Equestria (WoE), Canterlot Chronicles (CC), Omnium Gatherum and Free For All.

World of Equestria keeps close to the show both in terms of what's allowed and in terms of mood.  I think it tends toward slice of life (though I don't spend enough time there to confirm) though there are some adventure themed threads as well.  A rule of thumb is, if you couldn't see it in the show, it's not allowed here.

It requires an application, which can be found in the Character Applications sub-section.  It has writing quality requirements of generally a few paragraphs per post.

Canterlot Chronicles has similar requirements in the level of writing quality, although it is a little more open in terms of character options.  It still keeps vaguely to the show's canon, but lets participants play around with concepts a little more.  Characters with darker pasts, or of a few more unusual species can be created here, as well as more combat focused characters.  Though I will say that it is not all combat, it just makes more allowances for it.

CC also requires character applications, although a character accepted into WoE can be played here as well (the reverse is not true).  The exception is cast characters, which are limited to the section they were applied for.

Gatherum is a relatively new section, which allows WoE and CC characters to interact freely, most notably cast characters from each section (cast characters are otherwise limited to the section they are applied for).  As such it basically borrows the rules from CC, as far as I can tell.

Free For All is just what it sounds like, all RP levels and any ideas are allowed here as long as they don't violate the site-wide rules.  FFA does not require a character application unless a thread's creator wants them.

Given what you're looking for, I would try one of two things: if you want to get into roleplaying right away, I would take a look at the FFA out of character section, and either see if there are any threads there you might like to join or make a discussion thread describing what you're looking for.  Alternately, you could finish that character you mentioned, fitting it into the section and the application format.  The requirements and rules for a section, and the application format can be found pinned at the top of their respective section's Character Application sections.

Hopefully this answers your questions, and isn't too much text at once.  Let me know if anything is still unclear, or if there are any other questions you'd like answered.

Welcome to Canterlot!   :D

I like the name.  Though I am struggling to imagine what that looks like.

I can give you a basic rundown of the RP areas here (or others if you like, though those seem to be pretty self explanatory).

There are 4 roleplaying sections in Canterlot: World of Equestria (WoE), Canterlot Chronicles (CC), Omnium Gatherum and Free For All.

World of Equestria keeps close to the show both in terms of what's allowed and in terms of mood.  I think it tends toward slice of life (though I don't spend enough time there to confirm) though there are some adventure themed threads as well.  A rule of thumb is, if you couldn't see it in the show, it's not allowed here.

It requires an application, which can be found in the Character Applications sub-section.  It has writing quality requirements of generally a few paragraphs per post.

Canterlot Chronicles has similar requirements in the level of writing quality, although it is a little more open in terms of character options.  It still keeps vaguely to the show's canon, but lets participants play around with concepts a little more.  Characters with darker pasts, or of a few more unusual species can be created here, as well as more combat focused characters.  Though I will say that it is not all combat, it just makes more allowances for it.

CC also requires character applications, although a character accepted into WoE can be played here as well (the reverse is not true).  The exception is cast characters, which are limited to the section they were applied for.

Gatherum is a relatively new section, which allows WoE and CC characters to interact freely, most notably cast characters from each section (cast characters are otherwise limited to the section they are applied for).  As such it basically borrows the rules from CC, as far as I can tell.

Free For All is just what it sounds like, all RP levels and any ideas are allowed here as long as they don't violate the site-wide rules.  FFA does not require a character application unless a thread's creator wants them.

Given what you're looking for, I would try one of two things: if you want to get into roleplaying right away, I would take a look at the FFA out of character section, and either see if there are any threads there you might like to join or make a discussion thread describing what you're looking for.  Alternately, you could finish that character you mentioned, fitting it into the section and the application format.  The requirements and rules for a section, and the application format can be found pinned at the top of their respective section's Character Application sections.

Hopefully this answers your questions, and isn't too much text at once.  Let me know if anything is still unclear, or if there are any other questions you'd like answered.

Yes a shapeless being is hard to picture, let alone when it's fluffy, haha

Thank you very much for your reply! It definitely helped  :) 

I'm probably going to finish off my OC and then either make or join a role play in FFA to get used to how things work around here. It's just really different, but I'm sure it'll be a nice change!

Once again thank you so much for taking the time to explain everything clearly, truly appreciated~

Hello and Welcome to this forum. I hope you'll enjoy your time here. Keep up with the show too if you are able to. Enjoy all the RP's!!

:smirk:

Yes a shapeless being is hard to picture, let alone when it's fluffy, haha

Thank you very much for your reply! It definitely helped  :) 

I'm probably going to finish off my OC and then either make or join a role play in FFA to get used to how things work around here. It's just really different, but I'm sure it'll be a nice change!

Once again thank you so much for taking the time to explain everything clearly, truly appreciated~

I may have to try drawing it at some point.

Glad I could help!  Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

I can show you a round!

*pulls out a piece of paper with a circle on it*

See? A round!

*bricked*

Anyways, please do enjoy your time you spend here in Canterlot to the absolute fullest! ^.^

• 3 weeks later...

Archived