(ponyville) This is the first day of the rest of your life! (closed)

Ashton

scootsavi.png

Scootaloo

Scootaloo ran up the ramp and into the clubhouse "Sorry I'm late I..." she stopped cold as she looked around at the empty room, hearing the sounds of the wind rustling the trees and in the distance the pigs and other animals on hte farm... where were the others? She sighed but headed back down, maybe they were still asleep, as unlikely as that was... she walked over to the side of the farmhouse and climbed up a tree, looking inside, nope, the room was empty. she scratched her head and soon found out that AB wasn't there, so a little disgruntled, she headed back into town, stopping in to check instead on her other best friend, but it seemed sweetiebelle was off somewhere too... scootaloo finally lay down on the grass in the park, staring into the pond "Our first day with our new purpose... and none of the others are around..." she said "...things are really looking up..." she added sarcastically, staring off into the water, watching the fish swimming below the surface.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tehengu wasn't really sure what to do with himself at the moment. He had arrived back in the town earlier that day, and he wasn't about to head out right away, so he had stopped by his house to drop off his gear before going into the town. After a bit of lazily flying around, he had decided to land on a cloud and get some rest. He hadn't had a chance to sleep the previous night, so he really needed it. The large griffon could see why pegusi liked sleeping in the clouds so much, but they tended to get a bit cold during the night. Oh well, it wasn't night time, so this was good. He laid down on his back to relax, closing his eye and drifting off a little bit. 

A while later, after he had fallen asleep, a voice reached his ears, one that was familiar to him. He blinked his eye blearily and rolled over to get up. Unfortunately for him, he had picked a rather small cloud, one just big enough for his large frame. His roll tipped him over the edge, and suddenly he was falling. It took him a second to realize this, and when he did he gave a surprised squawk while flapping to slow himself down. He succeeded, somewhat, as he didn't land in the water hard enough to hurt him. He did, however, make himself very wet.

"Ugh... Well, that could have been worse..." He said to himself, shaking the water off as best he could before looking at the filly nearby. "Oh... Hi, kid." He said, blinking a little bit as he briefly removed his bandanna to wring out as much of the water as he could from it. "How are you doing?"

The splash of water caused a sudden suprized squeal from a short distance away. A young filly tumbled out of a bush, dropping her basket. Small berries went rolling out as she rubbed her head. "Ouch."

Looking at the pair she waved and smiled. "Sorry! I will clean up my mess!" Her small horn glowed as she began levitating the berries a few at a time back into the basket.

As she turned, it was revealed her flank was blank. Her caramel colored coat was dirty from foraging for berries. There were a few leaves stuck in her cream white mane and tail. this particular filly was a little pudgy, showing she ate very well, and often.

Once she had cleaned up her mess she picked up her basket and smiled. "Sorry to interrupt you both. I was looking for some sweet berries to bake treats with. My uncle and I were getting hungry."

soakaloo_by_bloody_vikings-d61vljw.png

Scootaloo aspired to be as fast as her idol, or at least be the second fastest pony in equestria... but she certainly didn't live up to that today. The massive and sudden splash out of nowhere caught her off guard and drenched her to the bone, sending a chill through her despite the warm day, It took her a moment to shake the water off enough to push her name back out of her eyes but she managed to force a smile "Hi... tango..." she said "you sure know how to make an entrance" she said, trying to keep things upbeat, despite the fact she was drenched and shivering a bit now... But her smile did grow a little "I gotta show you, I finally earned my-" she started to turn broadside but then the little filly stumbled into view, spilling her basket, reminding scootaloo of how she had done the same thing when collecting berries in the past, she smiled and nodded to the griffen as she walked over to the younger filly "here, let me help you" she said as she carefully picked up berries and put them in the basket "So you like to bake, huh? that's cool" she said, idly wondering if this filly would end up with a baking cutiemark like the cake family "My name's Scootaloo, what's yours?" she asked politely

Tehengu smiled a bit at Scootaloo as she responded to him. The nickname was interesting, but he didn't really mind if she called him that. He wanted to apologize for splashing her like that, but he was going to let her say what she wanted first. Honestly, he was cold now, and she likely was too, but he was much more used to being cold. He tilted his head slightly as Scootaloo tried to show him something, only to be interrupted by another filly emerging from a nearby bush. The large griffon used the time that Scootaloo was helping to get out of the water and try to get a bit drier.

"I'm Tehengu." He said after the orange pegasus had introduced herself. He looked over at the young unicorn and gave a small smile. Hopefully she wouldn't really mind his clearly visible scarred eye, as he wanted to give his bandanna a bit more time before he put it back on.

The filly smiled and thanked her for the help. "Im CaramelCream. Pleasure to meet you both." She gave a bow and smiled wider. "Oh i love to bake and share with everypony! My dad used to let me bake cupcakes for my class mates in Canterlot and take them to school."

The filly stood proudly as she smiled at them. She seemed very happy to have met them. "Hey. Do you both like music?" She adked happily. She was almost giddy at the thought of showing them something special.

Scootaloo smiled and nodded "your lucky, I never really learned to cook anything but a sandwich, I have two friends though who do... well... one who does it ok and... well lets jsut say my other friend you really dont want to eat anything she cooked... even if it's just juice or coffee" she said awkwardly, not liking putting down sweetiebelle's cooking skills, but also unable to really say _anything_ positive about them....

"yeah, I like music, I want to learn to play the guitar as well as Rainbow Dash can" she said, not going intot he fact that she'd never actually taken any lessons... and didnt even own a guitar... but int his case it was the thought that counted, right?

Tehengu smiled a bit at the two as he watched them talk about cooking, and then music. They didn't seem to mind his scars, that was good. He blinked a little at Caramel's question about music, and at Scootaloo's response.

"Yeah, music can be good." He said, nodding a bit to Caramel. "I have a guitar back at my house. I don't use it much though." He finished, shrugging a bit.

Giggling she motioned them to follow. "My uncle Thunderbuck is a musician. He can play any instument. Its his talent." Leading them over a hill and toward a an open grassy area she motioned toward a simple, sturdy cart. "Home sweet home." She said cheerfully.

As she moved toward the hill the gentle sounds of a flute drifted toward them on the breeze. A soft, sad tune. A gentle melody that floated easily on the wind as it filled their ears.

As they drew close they could see a unicorn sitting on the grass playing. His eyes were closed. Caramel motioned them to be quiet as he played. "He is really shy and easily startled. Let him see us first." She said softly. As she watches him play she smiled wider. Loving his music.

As his song ended he opened his eyes. Seeing them he stood slowly. He was wary. One could see it in his eyes. He was nervous as a mouse beside a cat. His mane was wild and tangled. His tail was the same. His frame was smaller, thinner. He wasnt weak, but he was obiously not a pony of strength. His voice was slow as he spoke, "Hello. Pleasure to meet you." He spoke softly. Almost like a whisper.

((The song he played: https://youtu.be/7tGlB8HyxBk))

Scootaloo watched with a look of suprise and mild confusion on her face, this pony reminded her a lot of fluttershy considering ho wmuch she liked to sing and how skiddish she was. The filly had to idly wonder if the two might somehow be related, even though it was probably just coincidence

Scootaloo smiled "that was a beautiful song, where did you learn to play like that" she asked "I'm scootaloo, the griffen is my friend Tango" it was clear now that scootaloo hadn't given tehngu a nickname, but rather she'd never gotten his name right in the first place! "It's a pleasure to meet you, sir" she said politely

Tehengu smiled a bit as the song reached his ears. This stallion was a wonderful musician, at least as far as he knew. At the very least, the stallion played that song quite well. The large griffon's smile faded a little bit after the stallion noticed them though. Caramel had said he would be shy and nervous, but this felt like a bit much. Then again, he couldn't imagine having a large bird of prey suddenly nearby would have been very comforting to a shy individual.

"Tehengu, actually." The griffon corrected, frowning a bit as he realized that Scootaloo just didn't know how to say his name. That was an issue for later though. "That was a beautiful song though, good job."

He stallion bowed softly before setting hos flute in its case. "I am self taught. Pleasure to meet you both." He seemed to relax a little. The colt sat again. "Its my talent. I can play any instrument as far as i know. And multiple at a time. Though its a bit taxing when i try mpre than four."

Caramel thought it a good point to interject. "Uncle Buck... why dont you show them your skills?" He seemed nervous. But nodded. "If they want to see it. I can provide some entertainment."

He moved to the cart. Opening it up and looking inside. The walls were lined with instruments and items to repair them. As well there were two places where ponies would sleep inside. It was the cart of a traveling show pony.

Scootaloo followed and looked inside "wow, what are all these?" she asked "I've enver even seen instruments like these before, you two must have traveled all over equestria - all over hte world to collect all these!" she said her eyes darting from one strange instrument to the next.

Tehengu hummed slightly at the stallion's words before looking at the collection of instruments in the cart. It was a very impressive collection, there were a lot of instruments in there. He could recognize the look of the majority of them, but he couldn't remember what most of them were called.

"So, you travel around with your niece here? What about her parents?" He asked, looking at the stallion.

Both Buck and Caramel fell quiet at the griffon's question. After a moment Buck spoke. "Her mother left her when she was very small. Amd Foal Services took her from her father because he didnt make enough to support her. Im her guardian now."

Caramelcream looked away. Her eyes watering some. Buck gently pat her cheek. "Stormy will be able to see you again soon. I promise." She nodded and rubbed her eyes.

Looking to the young mare in his cart Buck smiled. "I found most of them in trash bins behind music stores when i was younger... i repaired them all. Each one is as alive to me as a pony. And each has a beautiful voice." He levitated down a worn oit violin. It was old. Clearly older than he was. But it gleamed with a fresh coat of laquor.

"Each has a name and a story. Each has its own voice. Tossed away by ponies that forgot that theor instruments were their friends." He took the bow in hoof ans drew it across the strings slowly. Easily slipping into a song that had no name. It was slow and deep. Loving and warm. As if the violin itself were talking.

Scootaloo just listened, she'd never thought about musical instruments like that, even though she'd sometimes heard twilight talk that way about her books, as the stallion played, she felt herself agreeing, the music was like the violin was speaking and telling a beautiful story she couldn't quite see but could hear all the warmth and love behind, she might later wonder if there was more to this pony's tallent than just playing the instruments, but for now she was simply sitting there transfixed by the music.

Tehengu's beak opened for a little bit after the stallion's response, not sure what he should say about that.

"I... I'm sorry..." He said eventually, frowning a bit as he watched the two. Eventually, Thunder began playing a violin, but he wasn't really paying attention to it. Between the news about Caramel's parents and what his subconscious heard from the song, his mind drifted towards thoughts of his old unit back in the army. He was never going to forget them, not after what they had been through together. The only problem was he was the only one in his unit that had survived that day.

As Thunderbuck lowered his violin he spoke slowly. "It is hard on us at times. I... I have trouble speaking to new ponies. And being a parent is not something I am good at. I try my best. For her." He looked to the filly as she went about setting the berries in a pot to cook. There was a small campfire spot, but no fire yet. She was also looking at other food supplies. the amount was small, but space in the cart was limited. "We travel. I am a show pony by trade. And I wear a mask when I perform for ponies I dont know yet. CaramelCream has done her best to be a good filly and keeps studying her school books as we travel. But I know it is hard on her. Not being settled and having no pony her age to talk too."

The stallion set his violin aside. "Is there a town nearby? We are running low on supplies and i need to make us some bits to trade with. As well it would do her good to be in a town for a week or so." It was easy to tell, from his tone and faltering speech that Thunderbuck was not exactly a social pony. He was having trouble picking his words properly. speaking taking longer than it should. But he made sense at least. And he was honest. It was easy to see he and his niece were simple pony folk. nothing fancy about them aside from the number of instruments they had. And what was more was that it seemed they were self sufficient and the filly was still receiving an education.

Overhead there were a few passing clouds. The weather teams in the area had not reached them yet. Buck looked up, his horn glowed a moment before one of them drifted down slowly. As it settled beside him, he looked it over. Poking at it and seeming curious about it. "Seems dry...needs more water." he whispered softly.

Scootaloo nodded, placing her wong on the filly's sholdier "I dont have parents either" she said sadly, but then smile "I do have two really awesome friends though who would do anything for me" she paused "and maybe we can become friends too" she said a warm smile on her face

"I can imagine." Tehengu said, sighing a bit sadly after the stallion had spoken about how it was hard on the two of them. He then went on to ask about if there was a town nearby, to which the large griffon blinked a little bit. He spared a glance at Scootaloo, but she was busy talking with the other filly, so he turned back to the stallion.

"Yes, we are very close to Ponyville at the moment. It's a nice, friendly town, if you haven't been there before." He said, gesturing towards where he thought town hall was. "Not that big, but I think you will get some business here."

Caramelcream smiled at Scootaloo. She leaned over and hugged her a bit before looking back at her cooking supplies. "Maybe pancakes. I dont have any eggs so pastires are out. What do you think?"

Thunderbuck nodded to Tehengu. "Ponyville. Heard of it before. Alright. Maybe we can try there tomorrow." He sat softly. Looking at the griffon he spoke softly. "You seem sad. Is there anything i can do?"

Scootaloo was a little confused since the other fily did not say anything about ehr offer of friendship, it was as if she had turned it down, but then she hugged the pegasus, which only sent more mixed signals, but scootaloo smiled, she'd figure it all out at some point, and right now it didn't seem like it was the most important thing they faced "Pancakes would be cool" said scootaloo "but if you need eggs I can probably get you some from miss fluttershy" she smiled, hoping that such an errand woudl not end with her being chased off by a very angry angel-bunny, but rather expecting that to be the result...

Tehengu gave a small him and a nod to Thunder's words about them heading into town the next day. He would have to watch for them, give them some money. He wondered how the two would be received, but they should be fine as long as they aren't like what one magician was apparently like.

Thunder's question broke the griffon out of his little trance and he blinked a little bit.

"What? No, I don't think there's anything you can do. I don't think anyone could make this better. I... I know what it is like to lose those you carry about. I was thinking about them." He said, sighing a bit at the end.

CaramelCream nodded. "Who is Miss Fluttershy? Is she another friend of yours?" She asked happily. CaramelCream considered every being she met, pony or not, to be a friend. She was the type of filly that always gave her best for every pony.

Thunderbuck nodded to the griffon. He smiled and sat. He was still nervous. But he felt more comfortable around a few than in a crowd. It was then a bird flew overhead. Chirping happily. Buck watched it fly. Smiling the whole time. The cloud he had pulled down magically still sat beside him. His horn glowed and the cloud lifted back up to its place again. "This place is lovely. Its peaceful. Its hard to imagine that a town is close by when its so quiet and calm here. Nothing like Canterlot or Manehattan."

(("so calm and peaceful here" cue some disaster with half of ponyville bursting into flames and the M6 fighting off a swarm of monsters above the town :P lol))

Scootaloo nodded "yeah, Fluttershy takes care of all the animals around, she does some of everything, she grooms them, trains them, feeds them, breeds them, and even does a little medical stuff to them" she explained "I'd offer to take you to meet her, but she's really skidding around strangers, even more so than your uncle is" explained scootaloo

Archived