(ponyville) This is the first day of the rest of your life! (closed)

Ashton

Thunderbuck stepped down. "You think you arent a good pegasus because you cant fly. Trust me. You are a far greater pony than i. You can speak to others as of they were your friends. I have to wear a mask to walk through a town."

"we live in a cloud house. Im a traveling performer and so is our room mate. He left us in a safe area to perform while he finds a larger crowd for us to play for. Money is never on our side. My brother was grown and gone before i was born. I never met him. I only know him from newspapers and from what my neice tells me."

He sat. "We have little to call our own. And we share it all. If you want i can teach you cloud walking. In exchange... you can help us eat all these pancakes. We would never eat them all ourselves."

Caramelcream leaned on Scootaloo's leg a little. Smiling up at her. She hadnt been watching buck. So she didnt know what he said. She knew scootaloo was sad about something. But friends could make it all better. They always could.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scootaloo gently touched the filly with her wing, smiling down at her, it was amazing how much it bolstered scootaloo's mood. The pegasus then looked up at the old buck "walking on clouds is the one thing I can do with them"s he explained, remembering once how she had ended up hanging off a cloud dring one of her 'adventures' though it wasn't exactly a happy memory "but thank you for the offer" she added politely "There's a really awesome pegasus in ponyville who lives in a cloud *mansion*, her name's Rainbow Dash, she's famous and rich and awesome" more than a little of scootaloo's fangirl-ness showing through in that statement, of course 'tango' probably knew there was an added part to scootaloo's idolization that was little more than a pipe dream, but the filly clung to it with a passion.

Tehengu hummed slightly to himself as he listened to the others spoke, retracting his wing and folding it again as he chuckled a little at Scootaloo's words.

"Well, rich might be a stretch, but Rainbow is a good pony." He said, chuckling again. Rainbow was a good pony, from what he could tell. She wouldn't be part of Twilight's group if she wasn't. That whole group was rather interesting, when he thought about it, but that was for another time.

"Princess Twilight's pegasus friend... Yes i have heard of her." Buck said calmly. He was quiet now. Something struck a cord with him.

"I think i will stay out of town then. Last time i was around royalty it cost my family much. I do not wish it to happen again."

Caramelcream had seen what he said. She lowered her face. "It wasnt the Prince's fault Uncle... Papa just had a bad day amd was trying to defend your honor.." he gently pet her head. "I know dear. I just dont want to take chances is all."

Sighing the colt shook his head. "We tend to avoid the high society of Equestria. Reasons not withstanding, our family history is steeped in conflict with them. Both verbal and magical. As my own magic is weak and i cant talk openly in public, i just avoid the situation entirely."

Buck looked up at a passing pegasus. Watching them fly past. After a moment he spoke. "Have you ever been to the Grand Galloping Gala?"

Unfortunately buck had stepped directly on scootaloo's proverbial toes "Ranbow Dash woudl never do anything like that!" she exclaimed "She's the most awesome pegasus in all of equestria! Neither would Twilight or any of my adult-friends! They're all awesome and kind and save us from crazy monsters on a near-daily basis!" there was a flicker of fire in the little pegasus' eyes, the burning fires of loyalty, something she had very much learned from her idol... "Twilight even spent days trying to help me and my friends find our cutiemarks, sometimes even on purpose!" 

Tehengu frowned a bit at Thunder's response to the mention of Rainbow, his brows furrowing a bit as he pieced together that the two travelers had bad experiences with nobles in the past. After Scootaloo spoke, the griffon spoke as well.

"I've been traveling for a while now, so I know what I'm saying when I say that Twilight and her little council or whatever are much different from nobles elsewhere. Their day-to-day lives didn't change when that castle sprouted. At least not that I've noticed, anyways." He said, watching the stallion. "And if you mean Blueblood, he's changed quite a bit as well, from what I hear."

During Scootaloo's words, Buck's mane had fallen down to cover his face. After Tengu spoke there was a blast of thunder and the flash of lightning. And when the light faded Thunder was gone. CaramelCream rubbed at her eyes. "Awwww no...." she moaned. Looking around she watched. "Don't worry. He's close by...." She said. She hadn't been watching their lips, and had no idea what had been said. "Something must have spooked Uncle Thunderbuck... He only does this when something scares him... or makes him very sad." 

She walked around the cart, Calling his name. In truth Buck was close. He was directly overhead. Sitting on a cloud watching. He hated running like that. But what else could be do? He couldn't bandy words with them. And his coloring hid him well in the clouds. He could barely raise his voice to a bug, let alone another pony. And he could always transport CaramelCream the instant she needed to move. His careful gaze on them as he watched. 

Caramelcream sighed and sat. "Well darn... he's good and spooked. He usually comes back by now..So he either went too far... or he's too scared to come back out... What could have spooked him?" she didn't seem exactly scared he was missing. It was as if this was another daily affair for her. As she took a pancake and nibbled she looked at the pair. "SO what were you all talking about so loudly?"

Scootaloo snorted, but sighed, calming down quickly she felt guilty now, watching the smalelr filly looking around for her missing relative "I'm sorry..." she said "It's my fault, he starting saying bad things about rainbow dash and all my adult-friends and I kinda snapped at him for it..." she was silent a moment "If you think it will help, I'll look for him too, but that might only make him hide more..."

Tehengu blinked a little as Thunder vanished from in front of them and Caramel went to search for him for a little bit. As she came back, he gazed around the area closely, looking to see if he could spot the stallion. He didn't seem to be anywhere nearby, at least not anywhere near the ground he could see from where he was. That thought caused him to pause for a moment or so, and his gaze drifted up towards the clouds in the sky. 

The griffon had a sneaking suspiscion that the stallion had gone up there, but he would have to fly up there to find out. Besides, he figured he might as well give the stallion his space for now. To that end, he looked back at Caramel as Scootaloo spoke.

"I say we just leave him be for now, but he's your relative, so I'll leave that up to you. As for what I said, I simply stated that Twilight and her little group are very different from most of the nobles I've met in my travels." He said, shrugging before taking another pancake and beginning to eat it.

Caramelcream tilted her head a bit. she looked confused. She hadn't heard the conversation. shrugging she returned to her pancake and levitated one up for Scootaloo. The little foal didnt seem angry in the least. it was just too common to her now. After a moment, she set her food down and moved to the cart. bringing out a small book. It was brightly decorated and obviously made by her. She sat beside scootaloo and opened it. "Look! I made this!" she seemed so excited to show off her creations. 

THis was her cook book. All the recipes she had made over their travels were all here. mostly it was sweet treats and desserts. but there were a few other things in there. like salads and sandwiches. She flipped a few pages and held it up. It was a roughly drawn picture in crayon. It depicted a mare baking goods, a guard in shiny armor, and a little foal. "that was momma and papa before momma ran away. she was so pretty." Nothing seemed to knock that smile off Caramelcream's face.

Overhead, buck kept watch. He had heard every word said. carried up by the breeze. his ears were sharp as well. He hadn't said a word about Rainbow Dash, just that he felt it better to stay away from the wealth and nobility of Equestria. while sitting on the cloud, he began to make mental notes about music. a song was coming to his head. But he was loath to play anything for this town now. He felt it best to stay in the field and wait for Sky to get back. 

Scootaloo pushed her feelings back down over what she had done, even if she felt guilty it wasn't going to help anyone else there, so she might as well not make them suffer too (no doubt something else she had unfortunately learned from her idol) as she smiled a little at the pancake, even if she felt bad taking it she still wouldn't refuse it at that point since it was practically forced on her --- and she was rather hungry anyway --- she also smiled as the foal ran to the wagon, bringing out her book. How long ago had it been since scootaloo would have done that? even though it wasn't all that long it seemed distant to her right now, since it seemed she was put into more of an 'adult' group for the filly. there was a sad twinkle in scootaloo's eyes as caramel showed them the book and the picture, no doubt reminding her of her own lost parents, but she still managed to smile "it's beautiful, your extremely talented. I get one day you'll grow up to be a wold-famous baker" she said encouragingly.

Scootaloo pushed her feelings back down over what she had done, even if she felt guilty it wasn't going to help anyone else there, so she might as well not make them suffer too (no doubt something else she had unfortunately learned from her idol) as she smiled a little at the pancake, even if she felt bad taking it she still wouldn't refuse it at that point since it was practically forced on her --- and she was rather hungry anyway --- she also smiled as the foal ran to the wagon, bringing out her book. How long ago had it been since scootaloo would have done that? even though it wasn't all that long it seemed distant to her right now, since it seemed she was put into more of an 'adult' group for the filly. there was a sad twinkle in scootaloo's eyes as caramel showed them the book and the picture, no doubt reminding her of her own lost parents, but she still managed to smile "it's beautiful, your extremely talented. I get one day you'll grow up to be a wold-famous baker" she said encouragingly.

Tehengu was not really sure what to do at this point. He simply stared at his pancake as he let thoughts move through his mind and as he listened to the two foals speak to each other. Both Caramel and Thunder seemed like nice ponies, but he wasn't sure about Caramel's role model. Sure, Thunder seemed to be a good 'parent' in most regards, but his shyness was a concern. Especially if it led him to leave Caramel behind like this often enough for it to become commonplace for her...

Not that there was likely anything he could do except perhaps help Thunder with his issues, but that was assuming he could help and the stallion allowed it. He wasn't going to force himself on them.

He still found it odd that the stallion had run at all. Sure, Scootaloo might have gotten a bit defensive, but it worried the griffon that Thunder couldn't even handle that much. Even if he factored in what he had said, which had been him simply stating a fact, it was worrisome.

Caramel was still taking when a grunt from the side of the cart drew her attention. A local bear from the woods had come up, smelling the pancakes. And the sight of an animal that large scared Caramel. She shrieked in surprise and fear. Hiding behind Scootaloo. No sooner had she yelled than Lightning flashed and thunder blasted the area, chasing off the bear and actually flattening the grass around the cart some. There was no burn mark where the lightning hit. Just a very shaky stallion with a messy mane. Thunderbuck. 

He was shaking visibly, wide eyed and scared. The bear scampered off, unharmed. Buck turned slowly and whispered. "Are you alright?" What he had done, was done to protect Caramel. but it was plain to see it had scared him to do it. It was a simple spell. And nothing any other unicorn couldn't do with a little effort. But own horn arched and sparked softly. Showing how much power he really had. He wasn't a push over. Just scared to act. And having displayed that power, he was scared of it. 

Caramel ran to him and hugged his leg. "It scared me.. Im ok... are you ok Uncle buck?" Thunderbuck nodded softly. Hugging her back as he panted. His tail looked light it had been rubbed with a balloon. Sticking out all over and messy. his mane was finally settling down. but his ears were laid back and flat. Showing just how frightened he really was. As the area around them fell quiet, he noticed a few pegasi over head, looking for the source of the thunder. 

Scootaloo did what she could to make caramel feel safe, which wasn't much more than provide her a tiny bit more cover behind the slightly older filly's wings, but it was the thought that counted right? and to her own credit, scootaloo did not run and hide herself, she stood her ground, even though at that moment she had no clue what to do, and even afterwards wondered what she could possibly have done to protect them, but still, the fact remained - she stood her ground. Clearly she really had learned a lot from her idol, though none of it involved flying or weather. Arguably, what she learned was far, far, more important...

when buck had reapeared and scared off the bear, scootaloo looked over at 'tango' with a clear 'should we say something?' in her eyes

• 3 weeks later...

It was a moment before Buck calmed enough to talk again. caramelCream seemed completely calm already. in fact she was giggling like it was a game. As if it were completely funny to see her uncle panicked like that. he took a deep breath and then spoke softly. "Not all of us are fortunate enough to have a single place to call home like you do. And while you say your idol would never do such things....  one would never dream that the Prince Blueblood could best a pony not only twice his size but twice his talent in magic. Anything is possible young one. I said nothing bad about her before.... what I had said was that we find it best to avoid royalty and wealth. Unless Rainbow Dash is a princess, i do not think there would much issue."

CaramelCream had been smiling at Schootaloo. Buck made sure she wasn't watching when he spoke. "I do not scold you for defending your idols. But you must understand... sometimes a tempered response would be better. I cant fight... but I never go far from my niece. and more than once I have used the same trick to frighten off bullies and animals. While it scares everything, it does no harm." 

After a moment he began packing up the cart. Caramel looked confused. "Are we leaving?" He turned to her. "Yes. I think i have worn out our welcome dear. Come on. let's go pick flowers in the hills while we wait for Sky to get back with the house." She giggled and nodded. Bounding over to Schootaloo she hugged her. "It was nice to meet you!!!!" Moving to Tangu she did the same, hugging his leg and smiling at him. "Maybe I can come back and play one day!! We won't be back this way for a while. But i know we will are headed to Stalliongrad!! Its cold and snowy!! I cant wait!"

Archived