In Search of Equestria

MidnightMask

Hello,

I've been largely a stealth fan of MLP for a long while. I started watching and couldn't stop, sucking up lore like a sponge at a vibrant, colorful universe that makes me feel just a little better about the world with each episode. I've also seen the original series, and have a hard time not constantly looking for possible links between them.

After finishing the main series and watching all the movies (no comics at this point), I finally wanted to see what RP in Equestria might be like. I've signed up with some other sites that will remain nameless, but primarily I've been looking for RP that feels like the show. While the occasional scary encounter with mythical monsters or world threatening magical battle is fun, I'm hoping to balance that with lessons on friendship, small mundane battles with character flaws, worrying about passion projects and friends, and all the small things that make up the conflicts in the MLP universe.

Of the main six, it can be hard to pick a true favorite, but I think Twilight is the one I'd like to hang out with the most. Well read conversationalist, neurotic perfectionist, and has a genuine joy in sharing knowledge, so I'm sure there would be plenty to talk about.

I like to be an enabler when it comes to having RP fun. Making a character that is fun to play is one thing, but I want to be someone fun to interact with for all other parties as well. I'd rather go OOC and solve things then RP until feelings are hurt.

As for questions (I will look for answers in other threads), I'm curious what the pony to non-pony ratio is and how strictly canon is followed.

• Are most characters ponies? Or all for that matter?
  • Do some people play more loose with the canon (dragon ponies, Earth ponies with magic, etc.)?
  • Are Alicorns limited or are they forbidden?
  • Are consequences kept in line with what the show tends to deal with? Aka, most violence is avoided, cartoony, rarely results in serious injury, etc.
  • Can characters have weird little abilities like "Pinkie Sense" or some talent enabled by their cutie mark (Fluttershy's anima communication, for instance)?

Anyhow, hope everypony has a nice day, and hope to RP with you soon.

Welcome to Canterlot!   :D

I think I can answer some of those questions.  The answer is a little bit varied.

Canterlot has three different roleplay areas, World Of Equestria (WoE), Canterlot Chronicles (CC) and Free For All (FFA). each of which has slightly different rules.

WoE sticks fairly close both to show canon and show themes.  It's the most restrictive in terms of characters and threads, which are generally limited to things one could reasonably see in the show.  WoE requires a character application an application to use a character there.

CC keeps roughly to canon, though it allows more variation and doesn't require one to stick with the themes of the show.  It allows for some darker concepts, within reason, and a few species unavailable in WoE.  It also requires character applications.

FFA is just what it sounds like, anything goes (as long as you keep within the site-wide rules).  No application is required here, though the option is available.

Alicorns other than the four princessess and non-canon species or abilities are selectively allowed in FFA, but not in CC or WoE.

For CC and WoE, in my experience unique abilities are generally allowed as long as they don't make the character too strong or capable, and don't blatantly contradict canon.

Consequences of violence will depend on the thread and characters involved, though note that the site has a PG13 rule.

The majority of the characters on the site are ponies I think, but that's in part because there are four separate pony species.  There are also a fair amount of griffons, at least a few diamond dogs, in CC there are a number of changelings, bat ponies and dragons.  There are a few more playable species as well, though I personally haven't seen them as much.  You can check the sections themselves for more information.

In FFA each thread can have its own rules: some will accept anything, others are going for a particular idea and so will restrict or enforce some things.

Well. I was going to answer as much as I possibly could, but it looks like DerpRavener beat me to it xD

What I can say is that there is also a number of roleplays in FFA that are crossovers with other series and/or feature anthro ponies if you're into that kind of stuff.

So... If this specific site doesn't quite tickle your fancy, then keep in mind that you can always start your own thread in FFA that goes by whatever canon it is you desire. (lul, 'whatever canon it is you desire', does that even make any sense? xP) I guess where I'm going with that is...

...I'm glad to see that you've stopped in! I'd love to chat or roleplay sometime, but most of all, I sincerely hope that you enjoy your time spent here in Canterlot to the absolute fullest! ^.^

Thanks for all the greetings and swift replies.

To be honest, I like the sort of 'tiered' system separating the different continuities for RP here as I really desired a little less of some of those elements. It's not like I don't think that an occasional 'unique' or powerful character option can't be fun or even appropriate, but I'd like to not be the only Earth Pony in a room full of gods and monsters.

Hello and Welcome to this forum. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here. Keep up with the show too if you can. Have fun RPing.

:smirk:

Possibly another question or two for people (if they're still willing to answer me. I have done a fair bit of reading, but there is a lot to read here!).

Which of the three chronicles is the most popular (Free, WoE, or CC?)

If you have a character for WoE, can it be played in the other forums as well, or does this create continuity issues?

Hey there, welcome to the forums!

I honestly can't give you an accurate answer for your first question, because I don't frequent FFA at all so I don't know how popular it is. If I had to guess though, I'd say WoE. It's been around the longest and is most show-accurate.

And yup, you are exactly right for the second question, though there's a bit more explanation to it. WoE and CC are considered "canon" to the forums, meaning RP that happens in these two sections combine into the same continuity. FFA is a not considered "canon", so anything that is RPed there is not included in the continuity of the forums. So for example, if your character goes on a dangerous adventure in CC, and then spends a relaxing day at the park in WoE, both those RPs would considered canon for your character. But if your character suddenly became an Alicorn in FFA, that would not be considered canon.

Since WoE application rules are stricter than CC ones, any character approved for WoE can also be used in CC. The reverse is untrue however - a CC character can't be used for WoE, you'd need to make a WoE app for that character and get it approved. FFA doesn't require any application approval, so if you wanted to RP there, you could use any character at all.

Welcome to Canterlot!

DerpRavener got all your questions, but if you have any others, post them here or give myself or one of the other RP staff a message and we'll figure it out for you as soon as possible!

Hope you enjoy your time here!

Archived