Starfall (Open, see OOC)

FiniteZero

Time ticks by, second by second, day by day, era by era. The world above may never know the eye that watches them, and perhaps it is best that way.

6:05 Luna Time

Celestia's sun sat on the horizon, coloring the partly cloudy view with a palette of yellows and pinks. The rays fell down upon the village of Stardust, letting the residents know that the end of the day was nigh. As the sun sank into the distance, the moon rose to take control of the sky, the streaks of gold and red about to give way to a black canvas filled with small twinkling jewels for those up late to admire.

Such a breathtaking sight, ignored by a Changeling, wearing perscription sunglasses and writing in a beaten brown journal attached to a thick gray string tied around his neck. Texty sat quietly upon the hill, recording the meaningless events that had transpired in the last five hours.

To him, and to many, this village was nothing more than a pit-stop, a place to stretch ones hooves- Or talons, as the case may be- as they transferred to another train. Some days, the ponies passing through outnumbered the ponies actually living there.

He had just come from a historical convention over in Canterlot, and was going to take a rest at this town in New Equestria before returning home to The Crystal Empire.

Finishing his log, Texty pushed his pen into its holder on his journal. He wanted to look around town a bit before renting a room at the Motel, but for now he took in the moment of peace and quiet.

Down below just on the outskirts of the village worked a lone Batpony. At the moment she was tending to a flower garden filled with moonblossoms. These small plants were a sight to see during the night but hid during the day. Kind of like the poor aerion who worked on said plants.

Holding the watering can with her teeth, she looked sorta sad. She was good at hiding, good at stealth. She wasn't into this....tending to plants...... She gave a sad sigh as she glanced at the sun, its beautiful orange skies fading away and the night emerging from the darkness of the day. Night time was always so lovely, She wished she could have met that princess who deemed the beauty of the moon above.

The moonblossoms began to glow a lovely blue and soon they opened, emitting a bright moonlit color. The Aerion looked to them and smiled, Such beauty.

She put the watering can down and decided to take a break, Laying down on the grass and looking up to the stars as they began to show.

The tranquil night would soon be interrupted as a coal-maned stallion sauntered along his way. He pulling a cart behind that clanked in protest at the occasional bump in the road. Gibbous whistled a tune as he walked, mostly liking the beat of that one jazz song that was stuck in his head all week. His sleepy hazel eyes traveling to marvel at the many colors of the evening slowly blending together in the sky above. He loved this time of day. The bustling of busy life seemed to be lulled into a calm by the shinning specs and the chirring of crickets singing in the night. The air itself even seemed to be cleaner and crisp. Perfect time to work. He mused as he trotted up his favored hill. The same hill that he frequented every now an then when he was able to sneak away from the observatory.

Gibb busied himself with setting up his equipment at a leisurely pace, beginning with a moderately sized telescope, never missing a beat in his whistling. He peering through to properly bring it into focus. A pleased hum present as he successfully focused on a certain star. "There ya are."

The Areion took a step back and turned to retrieve another item from his cart when movement caught his attention. His wild mop of curls bouncing slightly as he jerked his head up to give the other his full attention.  A Changeling with sunglasses. Quite the oddity especially as the sun was going down. The other stallion having an inch or so over him in height (though that wasn't much out of the norm in his case) didn't appear known threatening. And Gibb wasn't much one for ignoring others, especially if they caught his curiosity. "Heh, didn't notice you there." He greeted fixing the Changling with a half lidded yet friendly gaze. He moved a bit closer though stayed at a respectful enough distance. "Hope you don't mind the company. The night sky is pretty clear tonight and it be a shame to let it go to waste." He replied cooly motioning to the telescope with a webbed wing. "Names Gibbous, friend." He said with a lazy grin.

Hidden in the cloak of night and leaves from a distant shrub was a green unicorn, observing the coal haired pony and changeling interact. She turned away quickly using her magic to hide her in a black smokescreen and walk away unseen by either. Had it been just one of them she might have asked to look through the telescope but she did not want to interrupt their conversation. Smokescreen usually spent her nights in her home studying magic, or out collecting poisonous herbs under the cover of night, but tonight she was wistful. She had never realized but living so far from the town alone in a swamp was, well, lonely. The thought had occurred to her earlier so she set out to town, but by the time she arrived the sun was already setting, she ventured into the town anyways. 

Texty looked at the bat pony, and gave a thoughtful hum. "It is good to meet you, Gibbons." He said, his voice sounding somehow both masculine and feminine, full of odd clicks and elongated vowels. "I am called Texty." He gave a small goofy grin. "It is wonderful night. Many pretty stars, bright moon." He gave the rising orb a look of longing. Green magic covered his sunglasses, and lifted them up for a brief moment. He gave a subtle wince, then replaced them. "Very bright moon tonight. More than youzall... You-zuu-aalll? More than before night, and before before night."

He opened his journal and wrote some more into it, apprearing as runic scratches to those unfamiliar to the written Changeling language. "How are you?" He asked, looking up from his journal at the stallion. "You like stars?" He asked, pointing his pen telescope. "Your, er, seefar?"

Elusive caught herself falling asleep and squeaked slightly as she woke herself up. She shook her head and sneezed as she rose. She needed to work on her flower or else she would most likely get fired. 

The bat-pony let out a light chuckle as he listened to the buggy creature. He finding great humor and interest at the stallion's dialect and vocabulary. It was eccentric and he hadn't heard anything like it before. "Hm?" His sleepy gaze traveled to the telescope once Texty asked about it. "Oh, yeah. That seefar is mine. Wanna take a look?" He didn't have the heart to correct the Changeling. Texty's words were better anyways. "It's nice to meet you too, Texty." He replied focusing back on him, making himself comfortable by sitting down in the soft grass. "Can't complain I suppose." He stated answering his other question. "Heh, just happy to be out of the observatory." The other astrologist that he worked along with seemed to be bearing down his neck lately. Always with the paper-work with them. It wasn't like Gibb refused to do it...he would do it later...he never denied being a procrastinator.

"What brings you to Stardust? I don't recall seeing you around town." He asked taking note of the way the other jotting something down in his notebook. A fellow researcher perhaps?

Smokescreen walked onward in deep thought. As she walked past a garden she stopped to admire a brilliant bed of moonflowers. For a moment, the sight filled her with joy. Then she noticed she wasn't alone. "Oh, uh sorry didn't see you there!", she sputtered, "those moonflowers are just so amazing" she tried her best not to sound awkward. The Aerion tending the garden sniffled and stared back. Smokescreen couldn't figure out the batpony's expression and hoped she would break the awkward silence.

It was a cool evening, with the wind currents gently rippling through his mane and coat Breeze kept a steady pace as he worked.  Shoving clouds back and forth into their proper positions, he took a break to raise a clipboard from his neck.  It was a rough lay out of tomorrow's weather drawn in ink, showing all the intended positions of the clouds and where they were to move.  Studying his work and then comparing it to the example in his hooves he shrugged.

"Close enough," satisfied with his arrangement he began to lower himself back down into town.  Having completed his sector it was time for a good nights rest.  Once he'd landed, the groggy stallion began his trek home through the town's main avenue.  The lights of many assorted shops were understandably off, it was long past closing time.  There were also no active street lamps, town official's must have figured the Moon's rays were bright enough.

Continuing his journey, Breeze took a right off of Mane Street and onto Birch Avenue.  Birch Avenue was the town's gardening center.  Houses tended to have large galleries and balconies filled with colorful flora.  There were also a number of healthy street gardens filling the alleys.  In the weather business these were the kinds of street's weather ponies knew best.  They required a balance of water and rain on a daily basis, it was actually quite challenging to get the perfect mix of conditions.  Breeze inspected his work from below, he then noticed a small patch of open sky above one Birch's many gardens.

"All gardens are to receive appropriate rain fall from ten to eleven thirty tomorrow morning, got that Breeze...Breeze...Equestria to Breeze..." his orders played over again in his head.  Noticing that someone was still tending the foliage he trotted over. 

Texty let off a big grin and stepped over before carefully looking through the telescope. "Such many pretty stars!"  He listened to the pony as he swung the Telescope from star to star. "Oh, you are starlooker? Good job, very interesting. Maybe one day we will go up there." Though his passion was always with history, he always had a small thing for space as well. "Such a big notknown, space. So many mysteries!"

He paused for a moment. "I am going through Stardust. I come from a big history... Khaun-viiiin-shan? In Cinterlot." Texty looked up from the pony's telescope to rifle through his journal. "Yes, yes... Many ponies there. Some griii-fuuuns too. Lot of hard words. Much history to learn. Very fun." Another pause. "But your town is nice, too."

Elusive was just about to feed the moonflowers when she realized she wasnt alone any more.  She gasped a small bit when she spoke to her. Apologising for not noticing her there as well. 

Silence overtook them for a small while. Elusive needed to break this silence. Now when she tried to speak she was cut off by a stallion stepping on her flowers!! She gasped and only gave a small complaining whine. Trotting over. 

"Hey!! My flowers!" She whined as she tried to get him off the flower bed.

"You think we could?" He asked watching amusedly as Texty viewed the night sky with much vigor. He let his gaze slip to the shimmering lights above and find himself pondering if space exploration was in their future. Surely it wasn't a too far fetched idea. Either way it was a lovely thought.  He mentally shaking himself from his thoughts as the other spoke more. Listening with care so as to properly hear the Changling's odd dialect. Letting out a hum of understanding once he was finished. "Sounds like some pretty important stuff." He said with a grin. "You dea with history?" This curious creature surely had something to with it if he had heard correctly. Perhaps a historian?

After watching the changeling look through that journal once more, Gibbous  lifted a hoof to point at it. "Watcha got in that book of your's, Tex? Curious minds are wondering."  He asked letting his curiosity get the better of him.

Smokescreen stared back at the batpony after they both apologized. Had the stare lasted one second longer, Smokescreen might've realized it was a perfect opportunity to try and make a friend. However, just before she could even think it, a stallion was trampling through the beautiful moonflowers. She wailed "Not the moonflowers!" and panicked, joining the Aerion in her frenzy.

A few trampled moonflowers' had gone out like crushed light bulbs. Smokescreen had a lot of experience with plants, she utilized many for magic. She used her horn to emanate a magical stream that touched the flowers, and when it did, their glow came back. She sighed in relief and redirected her attention to the Aerion, "They're okay now" she smiled. "I'm assuming that was an accident right?" she asked the stallion.

Breeze quickly noticed the mess of flowers beneath his hooves.  He back peddled off as they sprung back to life mimicking tiny springs.  He also noticed the angry bat pony before him.

"Oh yah...sorry." he chuckled nonchalantly.  One draw back to his special talent, the emotions of others rarely affected him, especially anger.

"I actually came over to ask about these," he continued the conversation whilst nodding down at the flowers.

"I think I forgot to place a few clouds over your garden.  I just need your permission to proceed."

"I am sure we will go to space one day." Texty said with a nod. "It is only time in the way."

Texty clicked a bit in thought. "Not sure how."

Once the other pony brought mention to the history convention, his eyes lit up and his ears perked. "Yes yes! History very good! My job is hiz-tooor-aaaan. I write books for hivehome. They like them. Pony history is my area, it is why I live in pony area." He stood up a bit taller in pride. "I know lot."

Once the other pony motioned to his journal, he held it up in a field of green magic. "This is my writing book. I write my thinks in here."

Elusive exhaled with relaxation as the flowers were fixed back to their normal forms. the lights flickering back on with the help of the mare and the notice of the stallion who stepped on them stopping what he was doing. She checked the flowers and gave a small smile of thanks to the mare as she overlooked them a little more. The stallion apologized for his transgression and she gave a small nod.

"Its okay.....As long as they are not broken to pieces. And about the clouds you can do that if you wish! Though its not my flowers persay.... im just the landkeeper." She said softly.

Bingo.

Jufldging from the other's exuberant behaviour he had hit the nail on the head. It only confirmed his thoughts when the creature himself said so. "A historian, hm? That's a rather rewarding occupation you have there."  He praised with a nod of his head. This little bug probably has traveled all over do his job. "Oh, yeah?" He peered at the levitating object. "Well, if you want to know about those stars above, then maybe I could help." He offered with a grin. 'Wouldn't much of a...'starlooker' He paused the term famalier to the changeling 'if couldn't ." 

Smokescreen was beginning to feel excited, this was the most socializing she'd done in awhile. "You take care of all these plants and flowers? That's a lot of work for one pony, if you ever need help I'd be happy to lend a hoof." she said to the batpony with an earnest smile. She quickly turned to the pegasus, "Sorry if I came off as rude, my name is Smokescreen." she finished her introduction speaking to both of them at once.

"Wazzup man," Breeze outstretched his hoof to the new mare, a small grin spread across his snout.

"Is there any way I could talk with your boss, it's nothing personal but I'm gonna need permission from the owner of this pad," he addressed the gardener.

"They wouldn't be hang'n out inside right now, right?  Interrupting a chill session's is a sin in my book, but you gotta do what you gotta of you know."

"You want to talk about the sky?" Texty said. He clicked for a moment. "It is a fun topic. Much to talk, much to say, not much to do. But how could ling, er, pony reach stars? Maybe big big balloon? They get high."

He tilted his head, then made some more clicks and some whistles. "Sorry, loudthinks. This is a difficult talk."

Texty looked towards the stars as he toyed with the telescope. "But I want to know what is up there."

• 3 weeks later...

The mare blinked at the one called smokescreen. She smiled warmly and went to do the same when the stallion asked bout her boss. She stopped and hummed a bit. "She is uh. Inside. Her name is textbook." She said softly. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Yeah, bud. I think there is a whole new discoveries to be made up there. And we've barely scratched the surface." He replied starring up at the twinkling lights in half lidded awe. Gibb trotted over to his bags pulling out a notebook and jotting somethings down before putting it back. "Hm." Well, he didn't entirely get as much observing done as he planned on doing but, that was alright. He met an interesting character tonight and that was a discovery in its self. "Well, Texty if your done looking at the brights lights I think I might head back into to town." He replied getting ready to pack up his things. "You're more than welcome to come. I'm sure we got a spot in the observatory that you can hunker down in for the night." Was he aloud to do that? Eh, probably not. But he would deal with that problem when it arose.

Archived