[After-Gala]Gates of the Garden

IceStorm

Sunrise fought back her tears as Silver stopped her briefly to speak and give her his handkerchief. She gave out a small sniffle before responding. 

"O-of course, s-sir Silver. I would like to see you again." She replied before he left, making use of the handkerchief as soon as he moved off to join Jade again. Sunrise didn't look back at them, heading off again with a heavy sigh. 

She really didnt get far at all before a hoof touched her shoulder gently. The unicorn looked at the source of the touch, seeing the other unicorn mare there and causing her to sniffle again. 

"I know I will be... but I do not f-feel alright... I was stupid, thinking he could feel the same for me..." Sunrise said, using the cloth once again in her vain battle against her own emotions. She wasn't entirely sure why this mare was here, or why she so readily opened up to her, but she supposed she just needed someone to talk to that wasn't part of the whole sordid mess. She would have likely accepted a total stranger, but it was good that a mare she had at least partially met had come to her aid. 

"I apologize... this is not your problem, and I do not wish to tarnish this night any further for you..." She said after a moment, blowing her nose gently and looking to Medo apologetically. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FutyNZo.jpg?1

As fate would have it, Yù Yuè had been left alone with Silver again as Medo went off to comfort Sunrise Skies. However, the qilin mare no longer had any interest in continuing what conversational matter the two were previously engaged in thanks to Golden Vortex reminding her of what her frivolously retreating was causing. Perhaps she should check back now and see how her household staff were taking care of the aftermath. Sure, she'd get questions about where her wardrobe disappeared off to, maybe even get a rebuke from her ever-discerning Chamberlain... but the Empress was prepared to own up to her moment of weakness tonight.

Without saying a word, an unlively Yuè turned around and started slowly walking back whence she came, mentally sighing as she did so.....

iqY7dA5.png

Oh no, oh no.

Oh no oh no oh nononono.

There were hardly any ponies milling about the gates, it seemed, and perhaps the large groupings of ponies at the park had led Mei into a false sense of security, thinking that any guests that might be happening to wander around would still be doing so...but no, the area around the gates seemed nigh deserted, ponies either moving into the park or dispersing away, and what did that say about the rest of the castle? It was closed, to her knowledge, the Gala was long over...but perhaps there was a special wing that had been prepared for the Empress to retire when she so wished? And if Yuè wasn't here, then that meant she'd be over there.

And that meant she had missed her chance.

A high pitched noise of frustration threatened to burst from Mei's lips, but she kept them tightly closed as she continued zipping through and fro, determinedly making her way towards the gates. She would find the wing and simply explain herself, was all - she was certain that if she caused enough of a racket then word would reach Yuè, who would come strolling out and demand the guard unhoof her immediately, thank you very much, and then invite her inside for a long overdue reunion. Yes, that was it, exactly. She just needed to find the place, find her friend, and she was sure everything would work out -

- if she could make it that far without running into yet another pony -

"Excuse me," the Qilin shot at the other she had accidentally bumped into, contrite in apology but much too hurried to be sincere, though she did throw a glance to assure the other it was nothing personal - only to stop, frozen, eyes widening rather comically as she gazed at the other Qilin.

At Yuè. 

"Yuè!" she exclaimed, loudly, still struck dumb at the sight of her foalhood friend, one she had not seen in years, gone off to rule a country while she ran the wilds of Whitetail Woods...though the shock didn't last long. Little thought was paid to courtly ritual or precedent as Mei let out a squeal of pure delight, forelegs immediately wrapping themselves around the cream colored Qilin's neck as she hopped up and down, unable to contain her emotions. She didn't even stop to think why there were no guards around her, no ministers, no one at all. 

Except for her. Her and the best friend she'd ever had, closer than kin. 

"Oh Yuè," the vivid blue Qilin cried out, squeezing for all she was worth, "it's been so long! It's been forever! So much has happened I don't even know where to begin...and you!" she barreled on, words exiting her mouth without pause, "you're an Empress now and I told you, didn't I? I told you you'd be the Empress, I was right all along - oh, tell me what it's like! You must have even more shimmersilk robes now than before!" Mei gushed, eyes beginning to gleam with what looked suspiciously like tears, but she could have cared less, let them fall, she'd gladly cry a river for every day she had with her sister. "And lots of servants, and jewelry, and I never thought I'd be able to see you again after you left, and I can't believe it, Yuè!" 

FutyNZo.jpg?1

"Yuè!"

"!!!"

That voice! That fiery mane! No, it couldn't be...

Never in ten thousand years did Yù Yuè think she would be glomped by the likes of Lián Mei again. Mei; the village filly whom Yuè was so close to that the then-princess made Mei her sworn sister. Of course, that had all seemed so long ago. Mei's family moved from their home village many years ago; in the time they've been separated, Yuè was busy making the acquaintance of numerous acolytes of the Harmonious Path at Fenghuang Monastery.

Considering the importance of family ties (both blood and sworn) in Long Guo society, Yuè was ashamed to admit that she rarely thought about her long-lost sworn sister throughout her adolescence. But then again, all things in Nature were impermanent. Everything had a beginning... and an end. Considering that Mei's family immigrated to a region across the seas where mail delivery was non-existent, Yuè felt no choice in her heart but to accept that her close friendship with Mei had reached its natural end. For all intents and purposes, the Lotus Beauty might as well been no longer of this earth.

Such feelings were not shared by Mei however, who clung onto her royal friend even as the other qilin stood there motionless. Yuè desperately wanted to reciprocate the enthusiasm shared by her sworn sister, but something held her back. Perhaps it was simply the newfound burden of ruling as Empress, which made many aspects of Yuè's past appear trivial when placed in the context of the present. There was a nagging feeling as well; that cynical side of the qilin mare believing that the only reason Mei ever wanted Yuè's friendship in the first place was to bask in the companionship of an imperial princess... oh, and to get the chance to win the affections of Yuè's princely twin brother.

Mei's gushing about dresses and servants were in no way silencing those cynical thoughts. Come to think of it, Mei had always been a materialistic sort of filly. Yuè had never thought too much of it back in her youth; what sort of little girl wouldn't fantasize about drinking tea and viewing flowers at the Imperial Palace? But years of immersion in the Lotus School had enlightened Yuè to the simple mindedness of desiring material status for its own sake. Apparently though, Mei still believed that sitting on the Dragon Throne entitled little more other than playing dress-up... except with the most elaborate dresses wealth and prestige could acquire.

But then again, perhaps Yuè was just being too judgemental... too hardened in heart. Afterall, didn't she first treat Mei with the same level of suspicion back when they first met? Yet with time, the village filly showed attributes worthy of a true friend... or a sister, rather. Gregariousness, fidelity, dutifulness... were those not things Yuè once saw in Mei a long time ago? If so, then surely the Lotus Beauty deserved a chance to rekindle what was once a friendship as strong as blood?

At any rate, Yuè had no intention to disrespect her sworn sister with utter indifference. ".....It is nice to be reunited with you too, Mei." A simple enough greeting; although it lacked in manic energy, it was no less deficient in emotion as the smiling qilin pressed her cheek against Mei's and closed her eyes. Nevermind the fact that everypony within hearing distance knew who "Jade Moon" really was, and never mind the gossip of Golden Vortex. Family always came first, even for an Empress.

It helped that Yuè rediscovered how being hugged so strongly brought warm nostalgic feelings to her heart.

“Your relatives back in the village said your parents... wanted to start a new life for their family overseas, as forest nomads. I was certain... that our destinies would be forever separated. To think that after all these years, we would meet one another again… here in Equestria of all places.”

~~~Medo~~~

The tone from the other mare was about what Medo was expecting the tone to be. The mare seemed to be upset and distress, and when she listened to her comment on her self, she shook her head. "I don't really think your stupid or the thought was stupid. You never really know until you take a chance. Even if from what I over heard he doesn't have the same feelings for you at the moment, doesn't mean he might not reciprocate them in the future. Don't give up on yourself just yet. There still a lot of fire left inside, and that fire is hard to reignite once it's been extinguished," she said to the mare with a soft smile. The mare then added an apology and that her problem wasn't Medo's and didn't want to tarnish her night any further for her.

"Bah, you aren't tarnishing anything. My night has actually been rather lonely myself. Besides, I can't just watch another mare hurt emotionally and not try to do anything about it. Believe me, your fine. Perhaps we could go grab some coffee or tea? Perhaps then we can do a bit to brighten up each other's night and leave with new friends tonight," she told the mare. "My name is Medo, Medo Asai. Might I have the pleasure of knowing your name as well miss?"

0CeCtKvm.jpg

The stallion was slightly taken aback by the sudden silence on the part of his new acquaintance. Did something so note souring really happen in his brief absence? Was it that Golden Vortex fellow who seemed keen to bring up the more stress inducing moments of the empress' night? Probably. Well, there was little Silver could do now. With "Jade Moon' looking so dour and suddenly unresponsive, the unicorn took a deep breath and prepared to leave. 

Something gave him pause. The sound of laughter and the enthused discussion between the empress of a Qilin who entered the scene. Well, that  was a pleasant turn. Perhaps Miss Moon would wind up enjoying this night more than she thought previously. It was better of not being in his hooves anyway, he was still just a random strnager to her after all. With luck maybe they will meet again but for now... He had a sister he needed to check on.  

(Exit Silverheart)

Sunrise blinked a bit at Medo's response, saying not to give up on herself and that she wasn't stupid for what she said. 

"I... I suppose you are right... just a little hard to believe it myself, I suppose..." She said, giving a soft chuckle before Medo continued, claiming she was not at all bothered by hearing her problems. Now that was interesting. Most times when one asked if you were okay they did not actually want to hear your problems. 

"You wish to be my friend? After that mess of a first impression?" Sunrise asked, very surprised by what the mare had just requested of her. After a few moments, she felt a small smile spread over her lips. 

"I would love to go have a drink with you miss Medo. I am Sunrise Skies." She said, wiping away a bit of her tears. This might be just what she needed, something to distract her from Silver and what had transpired between them. The fiery unicorn smiled faintly at Medo, allowing her to lead the way. 

iqY7dA5.png

It was somewhat difficult to think clearly with her hooves tightly clingy to a mare she didn't think she'd ever see again, but Mei gave it her best shot as she felt the warm, solid presence of her best and closest friend against her own cheek, only slightly marred with fresh tears. 

Because this was Yuè, and right now, every single word coming from the pale Qilin's mouth was worthy of her attention. 

"Oh, yes," the vivid blue mare concurred, and thankfully did not blush at the memories of exactly why her family had suddenly decided to relocate to Equestria, "there were some...circumstances that prompted my father and mother to move." The tight grip she had on the other mare slackened, only enough for Mei pull back to comfortably face Yuè eye to eye, her own pink gaze still shining with unbridled joy. "It all happened so quickly," the dragon mare commiserated, a hint of old, filly-fueled frustrations entering her voice as he tail gave an agitated twitch to the side, "I hardly had time to pack up my things!...I couldn't even get a letter sent out." 

The last was said with lowered tone and eyes, guilt creeping into her voice as Mei finally released her grip on the mare and took a step back. She had always wondered if...well, if the filly she had spent long afternoons playing pretend with had resented her sudden disappearance, or mayhaps had taken her to be foul and deceiving. It wasn't like she had planned to up and move to Equestria! And Yuè had been pulled back to the Imperial City, too, it wasn't as if she could have just trot up to the gates to give her friend one last goodbye. Her or Lian.

One moment everything had been perfect, the next they had simply been...gone, from her life.

"...But I suppose none of that matters now, does it!" Mei chirped after a moment, past hurts quickly receding back into memory as she reveled in the fact that, yes, Yuè was standing right here"It is fate, I'm sure of it, the workings of our ancestors," she asserted, because really, Yuè was completely right. The odds of them meeting here, on this night, being reunited after everything? Incredible

"And we'll have so much time to catch up!" Just like that, the blue Qilin was a little filly again as she plopped straight down into the grass, thinking nothing of grabbing one of Yuè's hooves and dragging her down next to her. Like they were young and blithe and sitting amidst the poppy fields and gossiping about all the going-ons in the village. "What have you been up to? I mean - aside from ruling the nation, of course," Mei couldn't help but add, a pleased smile taking over her features as she pictured her foalhood friend arraigned in royal robes and seated high on the Dragon Throne. Oh, what she wouldn't give to see inside the Imperial Palace... "Is it very difficult? I imagine it must be so. Oh!" she exclaimed, leaning forward excitedly, "are you yet betrothed? Have you many courters? From all over the globe, seeking your hoof in marriage? How romantic," the young Qilin sighed, eyes quickly losing focus as fillyhood daydreams came to the forefront of her mind. 

Yes...handsome princes from all across the land, submitting themselves in front of her throne and serenading her with the sweetest songs and poems and oaths of true love...she could only imagine what that must be like...

FutyNZo.jpg?1

Judging by the tone of Lián Mei's voice, she did not wish to elaborate more on what exactly drove her parents to emigrate from Long Guo. Obviously it had been a private family matter, and Yù Yuè thought it rude to pry into the private affairs of others, so she let her friend's story stand as is. At any rate, it was clear Mei had been heartbroken enough having to leave her family's ancestral home without being granted a chance to say goodbye to her dear sworn sister.

The mood took a turn to the light-hearted as Mei pulled the very Empress of Long Guo down to ground level. That action took Yuè by surprise, who hadn't been forcefully dragged like that in months... years? Mei had never been the sort of qilin who let rank and privilege prevent her from making others bow to her wishes. Yuè found that rather endearing back about her friend back in the day, as it meant she had somebody to relate to on an equal level. Lying on the grass, staring into the animated eyes of her sworn sister... Yuè's fond memories were truly rushing back in force!

Eager to flame the fires of friendship further, Mei didn't take long to ask about Yuè's love life. It seemed like romance continued to remain at the forefront of the lotus mare's dreams, which wasn't all that surprising all things considered. "A royal consort has not been selected at this time," the Empress sighed, her disinterest in the subject evident. "As much as you will be pained to hear it, matchmaking etiquette in the Imperial Court frowns down upon... unseemly gestures of romantic interest." There had once been a time when lil' Princess Yuè also indulged in childish notions of courtship, but those days were long gone.

Yuè switched gears; "Since you asked..... after you left Long Guo with your family, both my brother and I became students at the Monastery." Considering that Fenghuang Monastery was a virtual stone's throw away from Mei's home village, Yuè and Mei had always referred to that locale as the Monastery amongst themselves. With a hint of pride, the Empress added; "Most Long Sun are aware only of my royal title, but I have also become an Anointed Follower of the Harmonious Path."

But enough about Yuè right now; the qilin mare wanted to know how her sworn sister had fared in Equestria. "I take it, Mei, that you have made a prosperous living for yourself in the West?"

• 2 weeks later...

iqY7dA5.png

Well now.

That was just...just...boo.

Boo and fah, if Mei were being completely honest, and didn't bother hiding the pout of her lips as Yuè described her...decidedly not romantic affections in the Imperial Palace. It wasn't as if she had been expecting her friend to relay long night spent leaning from a balcony window to listen attentively as a lively stallion sang of all the ways her eyes sparkled like shimmering pearls under the brimming moonlight, and...and ancestors, that was exactly what she had been expecting. Tales of stallions from all around the globe traveling far and wide for even a glimpse of her stunning beauty, throwing themselves at her hooves in an effort to be noticed...maybe a few bold and daring types trespassing through the Imperial gardens for only a chance to proclaim their undying love!

Unseemly gestures, honestly.

The Imperial Court was a great many, wondrous things. 

But romantic was clearly not one of them.

Mei didn't have much further time to be disappointed, however, as YUE continued to speak on her time after she, Mei, had left for Equestria. Her words were, in fact, enough to distract the young Qilin from her rampant daydreaming, fantastic feat though it was. "Oh, congratulations, Yuè!" Mei exclaimed, if not in full understanding, then in complete earnestness. Her own attention to the Five Schools had always been spotty at best - three particular breath spells were enough for her, thank you very much - but Mei found genuine pleasure out of her friend's pleasure, if nothing else. Yuè made it seem that the accomplishment of becoming an Anointed Follower was something to take pleasure in, and in that, Mei could rejoice with her foalhood friend. 

Which is when the conversation turned over to her own accomplishments, a topic that the vivid blue Qilin had no trouble latching onto. "Oh yes," Mei preened, idly stroking the hair along her tail to get it to fluff outwards a bit. "Very prosperous! And um...grand! Well enough," she settled on, which was true enough - prosperity was not solely in material possessions, after all.

...Though, they really helped.

"I have learned so much," she continued, eyes sparkling as she thought of her humble little greenhouse in Garden Gait, built by her own two hooves...not the building itself, of course, but the myriad of plants and flowers inside"I started an aromatherapy business, you see," Mei extrapolated, leaning forward a bit as if sharing a secret with her friend, "in a town not too far from here. The locals are in love with my art," she boast, and again, not a lie. Not really. Small population though it was, the residents of Garden Gait did indeed pay high compliments to her business. 

"...You could come see for yourself!" Mei suddenly realized, eyes widening as she latched onto one of Yuè's forelegs with her hooves. "As I said, my home is not too far from Canterlot. You could come for a visit, perhaps stay a while...um," the blue Qilin trailed off, brow furrowing in some confusion. "That is...exactly, how long will you be in Equestria, even?..." 

• 2 weeks later...

FutyNZo.jpg?1

Hearing how Lián Mei was doing well for herself in her new homeland brought gladness to Yù Yuè's heart. Aromatherapy was a very honorable trade; one a qilin could obtain significant success in. Especially in a realm were neighborly minded dragon-breathers were few and far between. Perhaps in time, Mei could even end up introducing other aspects of Long Sun culture to her adopted community; one never knew.

Although she should have known better, Yuè was nonetheless surprised when her childhood friend suggested that the Empress find time to visit her village. To her credit, the royal qilin maintained a neutral facial expression; inside, Yuè's mind scrambled to figure out the feasibility of Mei's request. The Empress going to this place unaccompanied was out of the question as far as the Imperial Chamberlain was concerned. Can Mei's home play host to the Imperial retinue too? Could this village be accessed by train? How much would this excursion on the side delay the homeward voyage?

It certainly wasn't like the old days, where not much preparation time was needed to send Yuè and her twin brother to their mother's countryside estate without fanfare.

Yuè did her foremost to diplomatically keep Mei's expectations in check. "The entourage and myself must be in Manehattan in two days' time to begin the journey back to Long Guo," the Empress betrayed little emotion as she spoke, bringing her free hoof to clasp Mei's extended foreleg; "And I have already committed to a private meeting with Princess Celestia for most of tomorrow. My travelling staff will be hard-pressed to arrange a significant deviation from our planned itinerary, especially at such short notice....."

• 3 weeks later...

iqY7dA5.png

Mei wasn't entirely sure what she had been expecting, not really.

Still, the young dragon mare couldn't help the disappointed wilting of her ears as he friend spoke, with no semblance of maybe or perchance - it seemed quite clear that YUE was telling her a trip to Garden Gait was out of the question, and again, Mei wasn't sure what she had expected. For the Empress of Long Guo to drop all other matters and make a trek out to the small village? Of, course, the Empress had a busy schedule already planned, her journey over to Equestria would have been a waste otherwise. Of course she didn't have the time to make detours to small farming villages. 

Even if those small farming villages included her sworn sister's relatively impressive greenhouse, humph. 

Logically, intellectually, Mei knew that being an Empress didn't mean getting to do whatever she wished or getting anything she wanted...but an Empress should at least get to do a little of what she wanted, right?

...Right?

"...Well!" the vivid blue mare asserted with forced cheer, ears flopping back upwards on her head, "whatever business that needs to be seen to in Equestria, surely you can add an extra day or two afterwards, can you not? Just for a brief visit?" Long Guo would hardly fall into despair and ruin if YUE and her entourage held off returning to the Imperial Palace for just a few days longer than scheduled, surely"Just so we might catch up with one another - and Garden Gait will be the perfect spot for a scant fews days of relaxing, after touting this way and that all over Equestria!" 

FutyNZo.jpg?1

There were few things that tugged at Yù Yuè's heartstrings like watching somebody's ears mournfully droop right in front of her. From the time she was a little princess, the royal qilin was acquainted will with the techniques of politely turning down requests from others. The vast majority of the time, such "pleas" came from those seeking to curry favor with the Imperial family, from commoners making use of their once-in-a-lifetime chance to interact with royalty... or from her brother Lián whenever he wanted her to try something not according to tradition. Those offers were fairly easy to turn down... because most Long Sun didn't look devastated by rejection like Lián Mei did.

Once in a blue moon, Empress Yuè wondered if there had been other commoners randomly encountered in her past — admiring colts or doting old ladies — who were let down whenever the royal mare (or more often, her servants) came up with all the usual excuses to maintain proper royal proprietary and avoid interference with outside-of-Palace schedules and what not. Usually it was something Yuè never had to thought about because all parties involved put on polite faces, maintained harmony, and never displayed rudeness by making a scene.

Mei was never like that however. She wore her emotions on her sleeve; there was never any confusion whether the girl was elated with joy, weary with sorrow, or fuming in anger. For all of Mei's empress-themed daydreams, she had always been appallingly bad at keeping emotionally neutral expressions unlike actual royals, taught by court tutors how to keep their outward feelings in check since uttering their first garbled words. Of course, Mei's openness and honesty were all part of her charm; why she alone was Yù Yuè's sworn sister (although living in a convenient village helped a lot).

And another thing: Lián Mei never gave up on fulfilling her desires. That trait won Yuè's friendship back then, and it was on full display now as she insisted again on an imperial detour to Garden Gait. True, a proper empress must put the Dragon Kingdom above everything else in her heart, but did not the wise sages of the Dragon School also say that a ruler who failed to honor family... was no ruler? Deep down, Yuè knew the wise sages were right; her own sworn sister deserved better than a heartless mare with no qualms about casting friends aside.

That being said, it would have been unwise for the Empress to delay her return home too long. A compromise would thus have to be made. ".....Your words speak wisdom," Yuè found the courage to look Mei in the eye, this time with a small yet genuine smile. "I suppose the Dragon Kingdom won't fall into ruin if I spend a single day at your side, my old friend. Perhaps the night in your village as well, should it prove prudent." Yes... this all felt right in Yuè's heart.

In a show of joking self-depreciation, the jade-coated mare giggled as she shook her head; "Please forgive this fool for her indecisiveness."

iqY7dA5.png

Grace, calm, serenity - such were the words to describe an Empress who conducted herself with the upmost composure. 

"Yes, yes!" the vivid blue Qilin cried, triumphant laughter spilling from her lips as she sprang forward from her seat, once again entrapping YUE's neck in the circle of her forelegs. "Yes! I mean, no, naught to be forgiven," Mei scoffed a moment later, waving one hoof magnanimously through the air, before it returned to its place around the other mare's shoulders. "But yes, as - oh, you'll love it in Garden Gait, I promise!" the young mare enthused, near hopping up and down where she had pulled YUE into her embrace.

For Mei wasn't entirely sure why she was feeling so...elated. Of course she was ecstatic that she would be getting to spend some more time with her friend, would be able to show her around the quaint little corner of Equestria she had carved out for herself, but she also supposed she had been expecting...well, rejection? Disregard? An Empress surely had much to occupy herself with, Mei was certain, and perhaps in the heart of things, she had been expecting a gentle but firm reprimand, a reminder of their stations, so vastly different now than ever before...a permanent loss of a friend.

And instead, here was her friend, clearly putting aside plans and obligations simply to be with her. YUE would never be able to know how much of a victory this small concession meant. 

"My village has the most beautiful scenery in all of Equestria," Mei boldly proclaimed, "and it's right between Equestria and the east - many an interesting and strange traveler pass through Garden Gait!" Something tickled the back of her mind, some small reminder that struggled to demand her attention, but the dragon mare ignored it as she pulled YUE onto her hooves, immediately interlocking forelegs with the other mare as if they were simply beginning to enjoy a casual afternoon of window shopping. "Not the mention the view," the young Qilin continued on, mindlessly prattling as she simply enjoyed the feeling of being with her long lost sister once more, "from atop the cliffside. Simply beautiful! And - " 

The sound of Mei's narration would continue on for a while longer, up to and including YUE's retirement to her lodgings in the Royal Castle, but for now, the vivid blue Qilin was content as she led the way back into the opulent building, for once failing to openly gape at the beauty around her and concentrate solely on what she had right beside her in that moment. 

[[ Exit ]]

Archived