Official Discussion Thread - S07E21 Marks and Recreation

tacobob

rWSBU8B.jpg?1

Marks and Recreation is the twenty-first episode of season seven of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic and the one hundred and sixty-fourth overall. The title is a play on the NBC sitcom Parks and Recreation, which was previously spoofed as the working title of The Saddle Row Review ("Saddle Row & Rec").

In this episode, the Cutie Mark Crusaders start a Cutie Mark Day Camp only to find out that one of their campers doesn't want a cutie mark.The episode aired Saturday 11:30 AM EST on August 30th!!

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk!

Spoiler

gjxlR9e.gif

I liked this one. 

Spoiler

The premise was great of having a club for Blank Flanks to get their marks. It was neat to show though the dichotomy between the Crusaders who thought that getting a mark was the only option for a foal's happiness whereas Rumble didn't want anything to do with them and felt that marks were a sign of being shoehorned into a single talent. 

I liked the twist that Rumble wasn't avoiding marks as a whole but wanted to get one that was like his brother, Thunderlane. This really added to the idea of what a cutie mark meant to young ponies. 

Cute episode.

Spoiler

I believe this topic has popped up on Canterlot.com in the past. Just because they have one of those weird butt-marks that says they're good at whatever, doesn't mean that's all they can do.

Love the bits with Thunderlane and his little brother. Looks like Rumble shares his brother's charm.  The camp had one odd bit...Very limited activities. Obviously they were limited to whatever games/activities that were at the camp..But you better love freaking horse-shoes. or making jelly. Or sitting on a raft on dry land. Or no cutie mark for you!

I'd love an episode that explains why ponies have those marks. Other races don't have them.  But ponies do..What's with that? In Game Of Thrones (the books) they had these slaves who would have an icon of their special skill tattooed on their faces, so you would know what they were good at without having to ask.

Spoiler

Of the many CMC episodes, this was definitely one of the better ones!  Loved the many twists of irony here, especially when Rumble was able to discover for himself that a cutie mark does NOT limit a foal's range of activities or talents.  I particularly liked the fact that Rumble 'sang the song' this time, pleasant surprise twist!   Overall, this episode is above average.

Archived