(Completed) Leaving the Hospital.

Ashton

Scootaloo did smile faintly as the action but seemed to have wound down into a general light depression

Dash continued talking for a couple seconds before she realized she was being poked, first frowning, thinking it was Scoots urging her to finish up her story but then looking surprised when she realized it was thunder unfortunately a proverbial light bulb seemed to go off in her head "Oh, let me guess, you want to know how the pirate crew got to the mountain, right?" proving she had been completely oblivious to what was happening as she was telling her story...

Thunder rolled his eyes, touching Rainbow’s lips to get her to shut up before pointing her to Scootaloo. 

“She’s a bit sad cause she thinks all her adventures are already behind her. I tried, so looks like it’s your turn. Besides, you know her better anyways.” Thunder whispered to Rainbow, still ready to help out if needed as he started eating again. 

Dash looked over at scootaloo and opened her mouth... but closed it again.  For once her quick wit failed her. She knew this wasn't something that a snarky comment or a silly quip could resolve. In fact, it felt almost like looking in a mirror... it wasn't something she really liked to think about but she knew exactly how it felt because her once action-packed life of adventure had been slowly getting more and more mundane. Sure, she was still pretty happy with it - nobody would call flying with the wolderbolts anything short of exciting, or teaching students was indeed fulfilling... but it wasn't adventure, it wasn't the unknowable kind of excitement where around every corner law something completely unexpected... discounting some of her students questions, but that was far from an adventure. Deep down, some part of her too long for that, but despite what everyone liked to say about her, she had grown and matured and could appreciate life as it was...

After a long moment Dash finally spoke "look, scootaloo, I know how you feel, but you need to remember that adventure isn't always a good thing, its dangerous and sometimes ends badly for everyone involved. Be glad you dont have to face monsters every day and question if you'll ever see your friends or family again"

Scootaloo sighed "Who says I dont?" she asked "I'm lucky if I see my parents a couple times a year, and as awesome as my dad is with handling dangerous animals, I know there's always a chance he'll find one that he cant handle, or my mom will ends up with some weird disease from all the plants she studies..." she paused "...and the scariest thing is looking out at the world and seeing everypony else is at least getting to experience things for those same fears, that they can make a difference... I cant, and I wont..."

Dash looked down at her empty plate, amazed and a bit taken back by what the filly said. This was a far more mature topic than she had ever expected to have to deal with... she thought a little reassurance would fix everything, but this wasn't a little filly problem - this was something far deeper and darker than she'd ever dealt with, and a side of scootaloo she hated to see... the mature side that may not be an adult, but wasn't an innocent filly anymore...

"You and your friends" said scootaloo "you did get to make a difference, you got to do things that the rest of us only dream about, I mean you kicked an elder dragon in the nose! ...maybe you dont want any more adventures because you've had them all. You can look back on your life and smile at everything before it all started settling down... I cant... I never got to do that, and now I never will." she pushed her plate away "I'm not hungry anymore" she said as she slid out of the booth "I'm going home"

Dash looked at thunder, her eyes pleading with him to help out here, despite not liking to admit it, she was in over hear head with this one...

Thunder frowned as he listened and finished his food. That didn’t go as well as he had hoped. In fact, things seemed to have worse, if anything. He shrugged at Rainbow’s look, but he couldn’t exactly turn down a pony in need, especially one in Scootaloo’s condition. After putting some bits down to cover him and Scootaloo, he went after her and caught up outside. 

“I know it may not seem like you’re making a difference, especially compared to her, but believe me when I say you are. It can be hard to see when you’re helping a few people at a time as opposed to fighting off some big threat, but your efforts add up, and they can create something truly great. You can make society better, as opposed to just avoiding it getting worse. Plus, they definitely make a difference to the ones you help. With the stuff you do, I’m sure you’ll start seeing the fruits of your labor sooner than you might think.” He said, putting a hoof around her. “If you want to experience adventure, I’m sure I could find some later, after I’m done at the hospital. I just wanted to tell you that what you do is important, it makes a difference.”

Dash watched the two go and sighed, she came in here wanting to eat her whole meal with two burgers and now she didn't even want desert... she felt like a real heal with her "pep talk" having the opposite effect, gently tapping her head against the table "some 'most awesome sister' I am..." she muttered

-----

Scootaloo looked back as she heard hoofsteps, not speaking until thunder finished, she finally spoke "yeah, I guess... my friends and I have helped a lot of ponies, and even other creatures find their place... but how does that compare to saving the world? and as good as it feels to help sompony, thats nothing like kicking an elder-dragon in the nose or flying to unknown lands or tracking down an ancient treasure in a lost temple with Daring do... yeah I guess I'm helping but its not the same... and with everything going on I feel like I'll never get to go on a real adventure... sneaking off to the county fair with my friends is as close as I've come to a real adventure... I kidna exaggerated before... our looking for lost treasure was following a fake map to some junk that an adult had hidden there and pretended it was a real lost treasure, and climbing mountains was just taking a steep trail on a nature hike..." she sighed hard "and fighting wild dragons was just teasing Spike... Twilight's baby dragon assistant who's even smaller than us..." she looked down at the ground, gently pawing at it with her hoof, showing how embarrassed and disheartened she was admitting the truth about her and her friends 'adventures'

“Arguably, your stuff is more important. Big threats like that are, hopefully, few and far between, but ponies will need help with smaller problems much more often. Helping out those in need can inspire them to help where they can as well, and that builds to the point of making society better. As I said before, all fighting off a threat does is keep things the same. As important as keeping our society safe is, the peace by itself isn’t going to make things any better. There needs to be ponies like you and your friends willing to help out wherever they can to improve things.” He said, putting a hoof on her shoulder and smiling at her. “And so what if your adventures were not quite like Rainbow’s? You’re still young, you have plenty of time to grow into those bigger adventures. Besides, it’d be boring if everyone went on the same adventures, variety is the spice of life.”

Scootaloo smiled a little "I never thought about it like that... I'd still like to go on a big adventure that I'll be able to tell everypony about, maybe even one day telling my own foals about it... but I guess maybe your right, sometimes small changes make more of a difference than big ones" she though sighed again "but even so we're already too busy to go on an adventure even if it happened... between school and helping creatures find their place in the world, and tutoring students at the friendship school... and from what I heard starlight say, when my friends and I get older we'll probably be promoted from tutors to full-on Teachers there... no adventure worth its time can be had in one afternoon..." while it seemed that Thunder had gotten through to her about making a difference, the filly still longed for adventure... and considering her family, it wasn't hard to see why, it was in her blood to seek out danger and adventure.

“If I remember right, that dragon situation Rainbow helped with ended pretty quickly, so if that’s one of your ideals, they very much can be worthwhile and quick.” He chuckled slightly, patting her a bit before removing his hoof. “Besides, you’ll get vacation time, so you won’t necessarily be unable to pursue an adventure that finds you.”

"I dont think adventures like to be scheduled..." frowned scootaloo, not understanding how adult's vacations worked and assumed that like her vacations form school it was specific days each year "and the afternoon thing is not my ideal, I'd like to go on a huge adventure that took weeks, just that an afternoon is usually all I have" she commented

"Well, not every vacation will be the same time each year. You can usually take vacation days whenever you want, assuming they're available for you." He shrugged, not sure if there was really anything more to be said about the length of the adventure.

As he spoke, you could see in scootaloo's eyes that her mental gears were turning, he had just given her the last nugget she needed for some hare-brained scheme to finally hatch... it was both adorable and terrifying, after just a moment she said "Thanks for the talk, I'm gonna go see if my friends are busy, great meeting you thunder, I'll talk to you later" and with that she went galloping off...

a few minutes later Rainbow was out there next to him "I saw her run... I take it things didn't go well with you either?"

Thunder waved at Scootaloo as she ran off, chuckling a bit as Rainbow came out.

"Actually, I think that went pretty well overall. Glad I could help her out with that, she's a good kid." He said, smiling a bit as he looked over at Rainbow. "You're both pretty lucky to have each other. Siblings can be pretty great, even ones not actually related by blood. Anyways, I should probably be getting to the hospital pretty soon. You could probably come with if you wanted, I doubt he'd turn down meeting another Wonderbolt."

((...thunder really didn't see the warning signs that scootaloo just grabbed the Idiot Ball and ran with it? Of course he wont be around to see the outcome (that will be in another thread) but, yeah, scoots just had a crazy idea that's going to cause trouble later...))

Dash looked surprised, then relieved, smiling "Thanks thunder, who knows maybe scoots will now feel like she has two 'awesome' ponies in her life" she laughed "Sorry, I have to coach cheer squad this afternoon, but I'll fly you to the edge of town and see you off" she aid, flapping her wings and rising into the air "no race this time" she added with a joking smirk

(I mean, he literally just met her today, he doesn't know her that well to notice her warning signs.)

"Fair enough then, I'll have to come back to visit you two sometime." Thunder smiled, lifting off with Rainbow and flying towards the Hospital with her. "This has been fun, and it's always nice to make new friends."

((fair enough I guess...))

"Yeah come back soon, I'm impressed you managed to get through to scoots like that... I kinda... I guess her problem was a little too close to home for me" admitted dash "I cant say I've never had the same thoughts - sometimes it takes sompony else to see the answer" as they glided closer towards the edge Dash couldn't resist one more gentle ribbing "but work on your speed till then, I want another race where I dont just wreck you with my speed" the teased

Thunder nodded a bit at Rainbow's words, simply listening for the moment as they flew together. That was true enough, there was such a thing as being too close to the problem to see the solution. When her playful ribbing came up he rolled his eyes somewhat, punching her shoulder playfully.

"Sure boss, whatever you say. Speed's not everything though, and not everyone is built for that kind of speed. Maybe you're just more built for sprints." He shrugged, looking over as they neared the hospital.

Dash laughed as she rolled around thunder "I'm not just quick, I'm agile, try to remember ALL the awesome i have!" she laughed again, just ribbing him "But hey, Fly safe, come back soon, and stay awesome!" she waved as she banked off heading back towards ponyville and the school, looking forward to the day she would see him... or her... or.... well the day she would see Thunder again!

The_End.png