(Open) Moving in! (Ponyville)

Ashton

iggy_small.png

Azure "Iggy" Ignine

To say it was a strange day in Ponyville would be superfluous - it was ALWAYS a strange day in ponyville... but on this particular strange day, many a resident was staring up and down the main street, but thankfully not at some monster escaped from the Everfree, nor at some strange fallout from events at the school, it wasn't even a mess left int he wake of the CMC for once! No, today they were staring, (with some pretending not to stare) at a large wagon rolling down the street, pulled by a brightly colored Kirin, who was humming to herself as she made her way through town. It wasn't like nopony had heard of the mystical race, but for most of them this was the first time they'd seen one in the fur... or scales... or, well, both.

The kirin in question, unbeknownst to them going by Azure Ignine (Iggy to her friends) finally stopped at a house not far from the castle. The kirin looked at the structure both in awe and in disappointment. Whether she was wishing that the Princess of Friendship still lived there... or maybe even lamented the unfortunate replacement of Golden Oaks with the castle, was uncertain (actually it was both). Though when she thought nopony was looking she levitated a small piece of crystal (broken off from the castle sometime in the past, probably due to either the CMC or Rainbow Dash crashing into it) and into a bag, which she meticulously labeled and placed in the wagon. After this she walked over to the sign out front that has once said "FOR RENT" and now said "RENTED" and pulled it from the ground. Walking to the door, she pulled a key out from her bags and unlocked the door, taking a deep breath... and sneezing, causing a huge cloud of dust to fill the house and flow out the door, causing iggy to drop the sign where it was on the porch and sending the kirin scurrying back to the wagon coughing "ok... so its going to take come cleaning..." she said between the coughs "Cloudy! Jasper! We're here!" 

she waited a moment, hearing no response she frowned "Cloudy! Jasper!" 

Now her eyes turned white as tiny flames danced around them "Jasper get up!" she exclaimed as she levitated the blanked off the back of the wagon.

...but all that was back there were boxes...

She blinked, her eyes returning to normal as the flames faded... she then sighed "...Boys..." she muttered disparagingly as she carefully folded the blanked up and placed it next to the boxes

Iggy then walked back to the house and looked inside "Welp, now's as good a time as ever to test out my new cleaning spell!" she said, her horn glowing.

Moments later there was an explosion as the whole town was covered in a dust cloud, followed by a shower of soap bubbles...

yep... just another typical day in ponyville...

• Like 1

387iqa.gif

With the new changes around the country, they were kind of expecting more business with the higher traffic, although it was to be said that the new tourists were not coming to this town for them. Placidity didn't really feel like working much right now anyway, and Tranquility just wanted more time to work on her book, but Placidity managed to drag her outside. 

"Today's not an in day."

"The sooner I get this book out the sooner we'll get revenue."

"What are you going to do exactly with that revenue?"

"I... Something. It's just good to have."

"You don't need it right now." 

To anyone from the outside, they wouldn't be able to tell they were having the small argument at all. Their facial expressions were so regular that it was as if they were just peacefully strolling side by side. But one who knew enough about them would know that their natural twin telepathy showed very little external magic to be seen. Unless one could deeply detect magic, it would be hard to tell. But one could definitely assume. 

Right at that moment the psionic twins would look up as they saw the beginning of the massive explosion. Placidity's face changed slightly to one of concern, but Tranquility's remained roughly the same as if she had a plan, which she did. The mixture of dust and soap came crashing over them, but unexpectedly, it did not seem to effect Placidity. 

"You did it didn't you?" Looking around the Black unicorn could see the field that was no question being projected by her sister. 

"Well, truth be told I wasn't spending all that time on the book." 

"Right, and it saved our health. You should do it more."

"Maybe you should too."

The two of them decided to go and investigate the source of the explosion. When the effects settled down enough for their coats to be safe, Tranquility dropped her barrier. They made it over to the calculated epicentre of the blast. 

"Perpetrator, reveal yourself." The White unicorn broadcasted out loud. She wasn't meaning it in so much of an authoritative tone, but whatever got the fastest response was possibly the best.

((I forgot how fun it was to play these two.))

(( XD I'm sorry... I cant resist... "WONDERTWIN POWERS ACTIVATE!"  :lol:))

When they arrived, they would see little more than the dirty bubbles... then a massive fire ignited in the center of it, the bubbles quickly popping, the water evaporating and the residue that was left behind burning to ash and leaving a scorch mark on the sidewalk under each hoof... the Nirik Growled at the house, but took several deep breaths, and as she calmed down the flames slowly faded as her coat and mane returned to their normal colors. Iggy was still glaring at the mess, but managed to get her anger under control. a few more deep breaths and a were muttered threats against Jasper and Cloudy and finally the kirin let out a deep sigh as she brought her emotions back completely under control. She then turned and forced a very fake smile "Hi! I'm Azure Ignine, Iggy for short, I'm new in town! Nice to meet you!"

"Maybe it's a cycle."

"No, I think it just happens when they're angry or something." 

"I've never seen them around, have you?"

"No, not at all. Maybe they're angry at the house."

"At this point the house would be angry at them." 

In the time it took for them to have their mini conversation, the Nirik managed to, well, de-nirik? Was that how it was? Whatever. What a coincidence it was at that moment that the two calmest (externally) ponies in the town would show up. 

"Hi Iggy, I'm assuming you just made it in. Is this some sort of Kirin house ritual?" Tranquility asked the new Kirin, although she didn't quite feel comfortable saying the nickname. This wouldn't be clear through the artificial voice.

"What my sister meant to say is that houses don't normally, well, explode or anything," Placidity interjected. "I'm Placidity, and this is my sister Tranquility. I wish we could have met on, better circumstances."

Iggy laughed a little awkwardly, then sighed, dropping hte fake smile "heh...yeah.... no... Sorry you had to see that... I'm a researcher, and I'm trying to learn all the spells I can, but pony magic doesnt work as well for Kirin as it does for unicorns without a lot of subtle alterations, so its easy to, well..." she nodded at the mess "it was supposed to be a simple cleaning spell to blow the dust out into the street and scrub the walls and floor, but......" she blushed a little "Still, it's nice to meet you, Placid, Tranq" she smiled, clearly nowhere near as uncomfortable with nicknames as the twins were since in less than 30 seconds of meeting them she already gave them nicknames "I'd invite you in for some tea, but..." then her eyes filled with terror "Oh no!" she ran to the wagon and knocked the suds away with her magic, opening one of the crates and sighing with relief "whew, false alarm, the teabag are still dry" she said sighing with relief

(...does this remind you of anything... or should I say anypony...? 😛 )

"Well, I'm sorry that our pony spells don't quite translate into other species, but maybe you could be the one to do it?" Tranquility asked. Part of her thought that maybe it was just an issue with this one in particular, but she didn't want to say it. 

"Well, the accident has occurred. Maybe if you're going to try the spell again, you could do it with extra precautions. Like some extra wards and stuff. Probably not cast by you, if there's anything to learn from here," Placidity replied looking towards her sister.

"Of course, I'd be the one to do it, since Plac here hasn't learned the spell yet. And maybe she never will."

"Yeah, like you will never learn the flower spell," The black unicorn retorted before turning back to Iggy. She hoped they weren't broadcasting all that, but she knew they were. "I would have been concerned if the crate leaked in the residue."

"If you're still offering, we would gladly accept it."

Iggy just tapped her hooves together nervously as the two critiqued her magic. but when they said they'd still like some tea she looked at the boxes a moment, then a proverbial lightbulb lit up over her head "sure, let me set something up!" she said as she went to another crate and pulled out a tea square, some cups, and a kettle, she walked inside and filled it with water, setting the tea service up on top of one of the crates, using the others as chairs, she then set out a bowl of sugar "I hope you dont mind your tea without milk, but I've not even unpacked, when I find Jasper or Cloudy I'll get them to run to the market and stock up on food" she then set the kettle atop her hoof and focusing for a moment, a brilliant flame appeared on ehr hoof, quickly heating up the kettle and as soon as it whistled, she released her focus and the flame faded away as she poured the water into the cups with the teabags "I'm afraid it's not the nicest setup, but it works" she smiled

"It's no bother at all. We just showed up to your house, you're in no big commitment to comfort us at all," Placidity replied as the Kirin proceeded to set up her stuff, outside. It was no surprise to them that the Kirin would use flame magic to heat up the kettle after the experience from just a moment ago, but the real surprise was that it didn't go wrong. Yet. Maybe. 

"With current conditions, this is really the nicest setup we could expect. Is that a specific spell, or is that an inherent racial trait? I've read a bit on Kirin's but such sources are fairly out dated by now," Tranquility asked. 

"May I ask what type of tea you may be serving us?" 

"Well its my own fault for bumbling the spell and how having the house clean and ready" she explained with a tiny blush and a smile  "Becides, after that I could use a few minutes to relax so I dont try something else stupid in my rush to get things set up just-right" she paused "what spell? Of you mean the pyromancy? all kirin can do that, its one of the reasons it doesn't go wrong when I use it" she laughed a little, knowing the guests were no doubt thinking the same thing. "oh the tea? Its Ginseng"

*beat*

despite tempting the fates with such a punny tea, no form of fate swooped in and made the tea start singing, not the ponies (not that it usually too much to make ponies start singing)

"One could not blame you for even having the house remotely clean yet. It's not even considered normal to have a house cleaning spell. Well, unless your name is Rarity," Placidity joked at the end, hoping the certain pony was not nearby, though with these conditions, she probably wouldn't leave the boutique. She took a sip from the tea. "Ginseng? I don't believe we've had Ginseng before."

"We have. When we went to the Velvet Strand for a week," Tranquility reminded her. 

"Oh yes that's right. I'm almost sorry for forgetting. It's some really nice tea."

"I'd like to say it's the best, but I'm not a connoisseur for tea or anything," Tranquility complimented. To say they could judge really anything would be contradictory to their personalities. "Such a trait must be useful. Well, unless used by children if there's any consistency within the realm."

((you tept fate with that you know, I *do* have rarity... but fortunately your right she would have all-but boarded up her doors and windows at this point XD ))

"Well, it's not specifically FOR house cleaning, its more a general cleaning spell I tried to alter and expand. I study magic - thats the reason I moved here, so many fascinating things happen in this town, not to mention the forest nearby! I'm really excited about everything I could learn here" she grinned, like most academics, she clearly enjoyed her work. she paused though "...rarity... I've heard that name somewhere before but I cant place it..." she commented, pausing a moment to think, but then mentally shrugged "Well, ginseng is not the only tea I have, its simply the one that was on top because of how I organized the crates" she explained "If there's another you prefer, I'll gladly make a note of it and prepare it next time" she offered cheerfully

(( The mute ponies say the most stuff it seems.)

"You study magic? Well, at least it's not practicing magic. Although, maybe you should do more of that to get better," Tranquility pondered. "Ponies have tried to study the Everfree for millenia, and it hasn't worked out too well. Maybe a Kirin can do better."

"Yes, maybe us unicorns aren't looking at it the right way. The psi of the forest is quite horrifying sometimes and other times just loud, but it only happens within, just like everything else about it," Placidity added on. "Rarity is the local fashionista, she runs her own boutique here, and I think two others, or was it three? Her boutique is probably the cleanest place in Ponyville." 

"We're not really ones to play too much on favourites. We'll accept whatever tea is available at the time, should make it easier on others, though it seems some ponies can't fathom the idea of not having preferences though, and it seems to make it actually harder on them."

Iggy smiled awkwardly at the comment about her needing to practice her magic more, unable to ready bring up any defense given how spectacularly her spell had backfired less than an hour ago, but when they talked about the everfree she smiled, glad of their support "Well, I dont want to try and claim I'd automatically be better, I'm sure I dont have nearly the background that some of the previous researchers have had, but you could be right - maybe a fresh perspective from a different culture could at least push somepony who does know more about it to reconsider their stance or to think about it in a different way, I already have a few ideas that I've not seen explored before" she explained

"I'm not sure, I think I might have seen one of her stores when I was traveling, but it feels like something else... but that could just be my brain trying to connect things that dont really go together" she shrugged, knowing there was something nagging at the back of her mind with the pony's name, but she was sure she would figure it out in time, after all if she was just a clothing designer, it probably wasn't something important she was thinking about subconsciously

"I dont know, I think you may have preferences even if you dont realize them. If I were to just walk outside and pick up some random leaves from the trees nearby and strain some water through them, calling it tea, you'd probably dislike it - even if you didn't say so to my face for fear of upsetting me. I admit that's a rather extreme example, but it still points to there being a line that is drawn at some point"

"If there's anything we've learned from the Everfree forest is that it's wild. Chaotic wouldn't be the right term because it was already stated that Discord didn't create it entirely. So really, there's the odd chance that if you do discover something, it might not be relevant for very long," Tranquility elaborated. "Some researchers have a theory that it plays favourites on different entities, so really, you've got to give it a try yourself."

"It was said that Nightmare Moon may have been 'chosen' somewhat by the forest, but it is argued whether or not it was just her own magic," Placidity added on. "You'll meet Rarity eventually, but if there's somepony you will definitely meet soon, it's Pinkie Pie. Which begs the question why she's so late."

"I would have predicted you met her already when you came in."

"Or she's just really busy."

"No, she has weird priorities." 

Placidity simply nodded to end that tangent. "Truth be told, we don't normally drink tea very much. So maybe we do have preferences, but as far as we can tell, they're not really prevalent."

Iggy cocked her head "it plays favorites? like it might show me one thing but another researcher another? Ir it changes its physical and magical laws to accommodate the views of the one researching it?" she asked "...if that's the case, I have to completely reevaluate my entire premise!" she said levitating the 'table' and all its contents upwards while she opened a box and took out a large binder, lowering the 'table' back down and opening up the binder, which showed hundreds of pages of research notes, clippings form newspapers, photographs, illustrations... it looked like she had been researching the everfree long before she had arrived in ponyville... and quite possibly was planning to eventually publish a book on the subject...

She did pause just a moment "pinkie pie... pinkie pie... I remember something about her..." iggy flipped through the pages of the binder, showing that it wasn't just about the everfree, but about ALL the magical phenomenon she was studying, and indeed there was a page... well many pages... probably a large chapter... dedicated to... "Pinkamina Dianne Pie!" she said, looking over the information "There have been accounts of her all over equestria - all over hte world! My guess is that her proximity to the evergree may have altered her perception of the universal manafield and even allowed her to tap into it much like a unicorn or kirin, but without a horn she cant focus it so it tends to manifest in unpredictable ways!" she grinned as she summed up the information, quite pleased with what she had already learned about the pink pony without having ever met her.