Seeking an Audience [Invite only; Steeleagle]

dragonofruin

The fight with Hou Shuren followed Sombra on his way back across Equestria to its capital, some of the events and what the sorceress said replaying themselves over in his mind in an effort to understand, to look for details of her plan that she might have unwittingly given away, or intentionally hinted. So far, nothing sprang to mind, and he refused to contemplate on the possibilities so that none of them could muddy what he was hoping to find in the memories.

A few weeks had been allowed to pass since he last saw Hou Shuren and that distant explosion of rainbow light in the sky, in order to allow the events Tongue Twister had spoken of to calm down. The last thing he wanted was for any panic he might cause to be bigger than it should be when he finally showed up, although it was already a part of his plan that he wasn't going to let anypony know it was him until he was right where he wanted to be.

At the moment, he sat on a train heading up Canterlot's mountain in disguise, and his excitement only mounted the closer he got to the capital city. All thoughts were temporarily put on hold while he struggled to keep himself still as the train came pulling up to the station. Soon enough, Sombra was disembarking with the crowd and heading straight towards the castle, breezing through the streets of ponies off on their daily errands. It didn't take him long to reach the castle itself, which was easy to spot over the buildings of the city with its tall towers. There was evidence of damage and reconstruction still in progress, but likely not as bad as whatever it might've looked like initially- perhaps his imposter had caused such damage? Sombra wouldn't have been surprised if that were true- he knew he was a destructive individual, but he didn't destroy as wantonly as some might believe. Every action he carried out usually had a reason behind it.

Now that he was so close, some doubt began to creep up from the back of his mind. It was a crazy idea, and a stupidly crazy one at that. What gain would there be for him if he went through with this, other than what he already feared? He wanted to at least be a thorn in Hou's side, she was the one who'd pushed him to do this.. He also wanted to find out what might've gone missing. It was all a gamble.

He headed to the castle gates, intent on getting inside and requesting an audience with the princesses. He wouldn't drop his disguise until he could find one.

[i couldn't think of a good title for the rp sry]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg

Luna sat upon the throne in Canterlot castle looking looking uninterested. The Princess of the Night had been called upon to take the day shift as her sister had been called to attend to business in the Crystal Empire for the day. 

"It's fine," she rolled her eyes and tapped her hoof on the large silver throne that was adorned with her cutie mark. "I love working day and night." She stifled an ill tempered laugh and sighed. 

It had been too long since she'd been needed for anything outside of guiding ponies through their dreams. Sure she should be grateful for a time of peace after the not so far gone invasion but Luna had an active mind. She was ready for anything...even if anything meant pretty much nothing as far as this day was concerned. She was looking forward to the later afternoon though. Twilight had promised to come by. The purple alicorn always had something going on and though she was way too much for Luna sometimes today the Night Princess felt their meeting could be useful.

Her ears perked up as a guards pony entered. An audience was it? "Of course, of course, send them in!"  Well now... this should prove interesting...

• Like 1

A guard had lead him to the throne room doors, where he was informed that his request was granted. Of course. Sombra supposed he shouldn't have thought it would be difficult, if he was pretending to be just another pony. However, as the throne room doors were opened for him and his eyes landed on the sole princess sitting on one of two thrones, something in his stomach dropped. He was already starting to second guess some parts of his plan, and whether he ought to- especially when there were a few guards about. Not that they were a match for him, they would just complicate things.

Sombra strode inside under the guise of a normal unicorn, although he hadn't done much to hide his height. His mane remained black, with a light tawny coat, and green eyes. Green seemed fitting considering it was how they used to look.

He strode confidently enough up the rug that ran up the middle of the large room, his eyes locked on the princess. It'd been over a thousand years since he'd ever seen the princesses in person again, and it was.. strange. Maybe revealing himself wouldn't be a good idea. He'd hate to be imprisoned again, or worse- destroyed. He didn't want to be on the wrong end of their Elements and whatever they'd do to him. The Crystal Heart's effect on him was bad enough.

"Good.. afternoon, Princess Luna," Sombra broke the silence as he came up a short distance from the ramp leading up to the two thrones. They were more extravagant than the old, broken ones in the old castle he'd briefly visited with a pony some months ago, and the throne room itself was.. interestingly large with tall, stained glass windows. He'd gotten a look at them on the way in. "I was hoping to bring up an important matter to.. one of you." His voice wasn't boastful and over-the-top; it was actually much deeper, and could almost be silky without the growl that sometimes edged it. More recognizable, as he hadn't tried to disguise that either; he'd wanted to drop hints rather than hide himself altogether. If he could make her suspect something before he made any reveal, then.. maybe this would be easier.

• Like 1

image.jpeg

This fellow seemed... peculiar. She was used to that. She'd had encounters with Discord. Nothing really seemed that odd once you'd played a dream game with the God of Chaos for an eternity. Well, it had seemed an eternity since Discord had manipulated time. Anyway... she looked the stallion in front of her over with a raised brow. 

The Dream Princess inclined her head as he greeted her. "Good afternoon." An important matter was it? "Well go on then," She spoke not unkindly. "What matter would you wish to address?"

The more she observed him, the more he raised question in her mind. Something did not feel quite right. Luna hoped Twilight would appear soon. It was always nice to have another to confer with and Twilight was one of the soundest minds in Equestria. 

• Like 2

One of his ears flicked as Luna bid him to continue. He didn't favor her with any bows or dips of his head for letting him speak and went on with what he had planned to say. "I don't suppose you've heard of Hou Shuren have you? She's claimed she's had run-ins with Princess Celestia over the centuries, and ah.." He trailed off, searching for the exact right way to say it. It would be quite the heavy bit of information to just drop on Luna like this, and he wanted to make sure he phrased it properly. There were so many variations to how he'd wanted to reveal this information that he wanted it to be just right.

"I had an encounter with her in the White-Tail Woods. While there was so much she had to say to me and revealing so little.. she's admitted to me that she's stolen something from Canterlot. It happened a few weeks ago during that rather big event with all of Equestria against a few goons." Sombra snorted softly. Tongue Twister told him that Discord was behind his imposter- he wondered if he was somehow behind the others, too. It wouldn't be much of a surprise he was, and to what end, the king didn't have a clue yet. He was sure he'd get any answers he might want about that particular problem later- if Luna was feeling chatty enough to tell him once he made himself truly known.

Sombra was just looking for the right time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpeg

Luna listened intently to this visitor. There was indeed something odd about him. As he dispelled information her suspicions only grew. How would he have such privileged information? She would have known him if he'd been a head of state, an imperial advisory, linked to a leader of any nation. But he was not. At least that was what she surmised at this time. Perhaps he'd slipped her notice somehow or perhaps he had been brought on into the confidence of one with select information without the princesses of Canterlot knowing?

Hou Shuren? Yes, she knew of the unicorn sorceress. Her moving castle. The sway she held. She was not to be trifled with. 

Again the information was more than strange. A common pony having an interaction with Shuren in the White Tail Wood. If it had happened she doubted the unicorn would have offered anything other than a threat or a bolt of power to somepony such as this. Stolen something from Canterlot? Luna had not been informed that anything was amiss. This was quickly becoming frustrating...especially for a night shift princess that was working during the day.

"Enough with your tales," She fixed him with a stern gaze. "Who are you?" She used her royal decree voice and it bounced over marble flooring to echo around the chamber. She heard the faint clanking of armor as the door guards came to attention in response to her tone. Trouble could be coming at any second.  

• Like 1

A delighted smile slowly spread across the stallion's face, a crooked sort of smile that was more of a smirk than anything that pulled at the right side of his mouth more than the left; one that was likely familiar to the mare. It tickled him that Princess Luna had so quickly grown suspicious, had figured something was definitely up, and drove straight to the point with such a shout that ruffled his coat and mane (and even hurt his ears, he couldn't hide a wince). She wanted to know who he was, which meant that moment of reveal was more or less foisted upon him. His tail flicked and his smirk quickly faded into a more solemn expression. He knew she wouldn't have recognized his undisguised voice, because the only time they'd ever properly interacted was nothing more than a heated battle for the Crystal Empire. They hadn't truly talked until now.

"Luna, I want to be very clear about something- I came here to talk." He paused, frowning faintly. "Whoever, or whatever, that was before.. it wasn't me. None of it was me. I've been around for some months now, mostly just wandering, and I.. " he trailed off, turning his head to eye the tense guards in his peripheral vision. "I can't say I've really changed much. I'm just not stupid to take on Canterlot or whatever else that must've happened. I've been told that that was an imposter.. Discord's doing?" The tall stallion shrugged.

"Whatever the case.." Dark magic flared up around the straight horn of his disguise, and in a quick sweep of shadow, he tore down his disguise. The red, curve of his horn appeared first and his disguise ended at his hooves. His appearance was a dark blight on the pastel colors of the grand throne room, and his tired, scowly expression was more fully visible without his illusion  hiding him. All familiar garb that he still wore was just his fur-lined cape- everything else was gone.

Sombra shook out his mane. "I'm not lying when I say that Hou stole something. It's what's she's claimed to me and I.. think you should check that out. The only reason I came to tell you was so I could be a thorn in her side."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

image.jpeg

The Princess stood from her throne. Leaping up for an already poised position. Her horn glowed with midnight magic, ready to burst forth at her bidding. Her eyes narrowed and her eyes steeled as they fixed on her enemy. Certainly that was what stood before her...an enemy. The breaker of the Crystal Empire. The blight from the frozen lands. Here he was, standing before her in the very seat of power of Canterlot no less! Luna let a moment pass, watching his movements.

None of his words or actions seemed as a threat. Was he waiting for the moment to spring his attack? If so, the wrath of Canterlot would be upon him in full force. She doubted that was his ploy. Sombra was smart, calculating, effective. No, an outright attack on her would not be his way. 

Her eyes lifted towards the guards rushing towards the no declared Prince of Darkness. 

"Halt!" She raised a brow as the guards slowed their roll and came to a stand still. Horns still blazed and spears still poised of course. "I shall hear more."

She turned back to Sombra. "If Hou is your enemy then we have something in common...as unusual as that statement may be." She backed up to her throne and sat once more. "What has she claimed?"

• Like 2

The tyrant grew as still as a statue in the face of the alarmed princess and her guards; the only movement he made was the way his ears tilted back towards the advancing guard around him. It was a tenseness that suggested imminent violence- he was ready to attack at a moment's notice if a guard so much as poked him with the tip of a spear. There would be no mercy from him, despite what intentions he'd come here with. Just standing before the princess and making himself known to them was more than enough stress for him to bear, to know that imprisonment or worse awaited him if he didn't play this just right.

He only relaxed, if slightly, when Princess Luna finally commanded her guard to stop. He could still feel, still sense them standing around them, magic at the ready and no doubt their weapons too. If it came down to it, he'd go down fighting like a feral animal.

Sombra slowly licked his lips with a pointed tongue, his red eyes still trained on the alicorn on the throne; they never left her for a moment. "She claimed she stole something from Canterlot, or its vaults. Something of the sort. She wasn't forthcoming with any details, not even about exactly what she stole. No matter how I tried to ask her. She was enough of a pain, with her wild accusations against me over what I never did and her belief that she was 'stopping me from interfering', that I might as well find some way to interfere with whatever her plans are anyway." He made a face. "It's unfortunate I don't have much else to offer up, other than to suggest perhaps you or Celestia ought to check and see what's gone missing."

• Like 3

TwiBanner_zpsvi6knv7w.png

"Celestia will not be looking into this. I am looking into this."

Twilight Sparkle entered the throne room from the main doors, which were opened with a purple aura surrounding them. Her eyes were lidded with bags as she quickly scanned the room. Princess Luna was taking the Daycourt today, as expected. She was here for the same cause, among others. She was happy to be dealing with Luna. She had a bit more of a proactive streak to her, something that she herself held in common. It would be easy to act on instinct which was something the crown, for all of its grand qualities, was not apt on doing. Exciting time to work with Luna, considering what was at stake!

Then there was Sombra. Or at the very least, this version of Sombra. It was difficult to pinpoint who or what exactly was responsible for his presence. What Twilight did know , however, put her mind at ease. This wasn't the Sombra who had destroyed the Tree of Harmony. This Sombra had even worked to help solve a mystery in the Whitetail Woods and had aided her friend Applejack's little sister after a run in with a basilisk. She couldn't say why he was here but she could say that, for now at least, he was not the problem that she was tasked with trying to solve today..

"The Sorceress is telling the truth," she said as she took her seat on the throne, magically levitating a collection of reports in the air. "I have already collected sixteen incident reports regarding items or break-ins involving the vaults. Fourteen of them are innocent enough or pose no threat. Two of them, however, are not," she said as one by one they vanished, leaving only the two. She turned to Luna.  "Which leaves us a bit of deduction to do. It could be either one of these two items," she said with a solemn nod. Indeed, they were the only two that hadn't already been solved or were items of a considerably lesser nature.

She turned to Sombra, her eyes clear and focused and her voice.
"Tell me, Sombra. If you were seeking to strike at us, what style of magical artifact would you have designs on?"

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A new voice broke through the tension Sombra felt and he turned with a slight jerk, catching sight of the purple alicorn as she made her oh-so-casual way by them towards the throne. She certainly seemed familiar, in some vague way- maybe she was with one of the mares that he'd chased into the empire. He still remembered what they looked like, at least what little he'd seen of him throughout that particular event. The barrier mostly kept him out..

"Hmph," the king grunted, wrinkling his nose and peering up at the new princess. One of Celestia's new pawns given power, though he had to wonder how she'd earned those wings of hers..

"Why would you ever ask me that?" Sombra asked, rather than answering her question. He was sure there were a few artifacts that would probably catch his attention, ones he probably hadn't even learned of yet at that. However, other than one that'd been on his mind as of late, if just as an object of his curiosity to some extent, he couldn't exactly say if he was seeking any. Nor would he.

"I'm still not exactly sure what has happened, but as I was telling Princess Luna here- that wasn't me. I'm not seeking to 'strike at' anypony, either, before you start making any assumptions."

• Like 2

• dragonofruin changed the title to Seeking an Audience [Invite only; Steeleagle]

Twilight sipped from a glass of water that materialized next to her, unphased by his aggression. It was the hallmark of his style of concern, after all. "I'm not accusing you of attacking us, nor making assumptions," she began before she smiled, looking over the photos before her and beckoning him to take a seat. "You have, in the past, been an enemy of Equestria. That makes you uniquely positioned to consider what the Sorceress would want to take or use against us," she continued as she laid out the photos before him. She was sharing a great deal of information with him- trusting him on several levels. How he viewed it and how he responded to it would go a long way to deciding just how much they could help one another. 

"As I said, I do have two incidents that concern me and may be involved in this," she said once more, this time popping in some glasses of water for Sombra and Luna. No reason to discuss something this serious without the lot of them being able to keep themselves centered, and sometimes even something as simple as water could solve it. "So, I ask again. If you were seeking to strike at us, what style of magical artifact would you have designs on?" She asked hopefully, hoping he would be able to take it the way she meaning it. And if he didn't, she knew she could at least speak with Luna. Something would need to be done regardless.

• Like 1

image.jpeg

His aggression at the question was if anything expected. Sombra was guarded as he should be and Luna had been around long enough to know what sorts of inquires might rub a pony the wrong way. Twilight in her usual fashion has jumped straight to business on the end of their empire and it was admirable. Luna was glad to have the purple alicorn at her side for this interaction. The Princess of the Night had been around for many battle and power struggles and a fresh sense on things was much needed. 

The Princess allowed for Sombra to sit before them on a bench that was swiftly carried in by wary guards. She levitated her water and took a sip, leaning towards Sombra to take his response. 

"I don't have a clue as to what her plan could possibly be, or what she would've wanted. I'm sure she could use just about anything to attack Equestria, or even just use her own magic. She certainly seems capable enough, from what I found out in my fight with her." Sombra snorted softly and stopped to eye the guards that carried in a bench for him to sit on. He chose to make his way over and seat himself upon it, using a hoof to brush his cape back to avoid sitting on it. Unlike the bench, however, which he'd accepted freely enough, the glass of water was eyed with suspicion before he quietly pushed it away with a hoof. He didn't trust anything anypony would give him.

"Is there a meaning I'm missing with this repeat?" The tyrant asked, raising an eyebrow at the pair of princesses. His eyes eventually dropped to the photos, hoping to get a look at whatever was in each one. He was sure any artifact would be able to do its job.. though he'd yet to see what Hou had stolen from a place as seemingly guarded as Canterlot Castle's vaults.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

He was proving to be a particularly prickly customer. While it was normal to be on edge when in a stressful situation, and she could scarcely imagine a more stressful situation than walking into the home of some of your most powerful former enemies, he had done so of his own free will. He had done so in order to warn them of a possible threat, a looming danger to Equestria. Yet despite that it seemed as if his warning was laced with a certain disdain. It was easy to warn friends, but enemies? She couldn't imagine it was easy for him to do so. He had shown great courage in doing so. But now they had hit an impasse. He had given his warning but didn't want to help further. If that was the case however, he could simply leave. There was no reason for this to continue if he didn't wish it too, yet he remained. He even sat on the seat offered to him, though he did not take the water that was offered. She would have to appeal to him in a new way.

"If you need a sculpture, you get a sculptor. If you need a forest to be protected, you get a warden," she began as she took another sip of water. "If you need to understand the mind of a possible foe, you use the expertise of a former enemy," she said, emphasizing the former. Despite his past they had current indication that he was a threat to them, and all the evidence pointed to shades or other forms of him that had caused more recent troubles. "If you need to decide how to respond to a great power, you speak to a great power," she said, gesturing to him as she said great power the second time. It was the simple truth: He had been one of Equestria's most daunting foes in the past, and her jaunts in alternate timelines showed her what he could have been again. "You bring a certain mindset and experience to the subject. Plus, you're the only one here who has fought her. I can't think of anycreature more qualified than you to help us create a total threat assessment."

She shuffled some papers in front of her, then leaned back in her chair. "Just relax. You came here to warn us. We appreciate it, and are trying to avail ourselves of your great knowledge and experience. In our concern about this Sorceress, we are united. So please, drink some water and relax. You are under no threat here."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A dark eyebrow rose at Twilight's response, specifically former enemy. Were they former enemies, or enemies still? To him, in this moment, Twilight was the lesser of two 'evils' when compared to Hou Shuren and she didn't have the gall to engage him in some pointless fight as Hou did. It was.. positive enough, but it didn't mean he trusted this new princess. He'd noticed that Princess Luna was rather quiet, something that he had begun to figure out about her while they were sitting here- that, like him, she didn't like to talk much.

His attention snapped back to the lavender alicorn at the words greater power and he had a momentary struggle with his ego over it; at least she acknowledged that. Sombra huffed softly and gave the glass of water another glance. If she'd insist, then he wouldn't, but he would try to relax if he was even capable of doing so in their presence.

He wrapped his tail around one of his covered flanks and gestured with a hoof for her to continue. "I'll believe it when I leave this place safely enough. So what is it that you want to know?"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Twilight finally revealed the pictures and information of the two artifacts in question to Sombra.

The first was The Mirror of Alternate Realities was an unusual artifact. It was a small hoof mirror that was believed to show not the you were, but the you could become or had become in alternate realities. The catch was that this alternate you was hostile and wanted to switch places, and would try to pull you into its own reality. The possibilities were endless and its history was rather sordid, but it was simply too easy to contain and was far more of a threat to the user than anycreature else. It gave off a very unique magical aura meaning it was difficult to use against even average unicorns, let alone anypony with any manner of defensive training or protective services. Still, it was something she would much rather have kept under lock and key than out and about. Mischief was its primary danger but what a danger that mischief could be.

Then there was The Remembrance Stone, as it was known in the archives. It was said that whoever held it could see the memories of whoever it had belonged to, and that it was just one of multiple powers. There had been few tests conducted with it and they never had managed to get a full understanding of just who it was the Stone had belonged to. Historical records were vague about it and Twilight had always believed that was part of a defensive mechanism. She had always believed it was a dangerous artifact and wanted to extricate it to the Keep with other artifacts she had deemed a threat, but unlike the ones her Keepers discovered and could secretly whisk away this was in the archives and thus harder to explain. She couldn't even just order its removal- as part of a system designed to prevent a Princess from taking what she wanted when she wanted to, such items required a meeting with some of the top magical officials. She had just that sort of meeting on her schedule...for next week. To discuss twenty such artifacts. She had it scheduled two weeks before but...

Well, you say no to a Pinkie Pie dinner party.

"Which one do you think she may have taken? And why?"

• Like 1

Dark magic subtly flared to life around the curve of the king's bright horn as he picked up the two photos, studying the artifacts in each at a time as Twilight revealed the information on their existence and purpose to him. The Mirror sounded like it could be dangerous, but if it was only to the user, than it wouldn't prove to be much use to somepony like Hou Shuren. She'd likely want something to cause other harm, to manipulate, or perhaps boost her power- not that she needed to, if her talk and her displays during their fight had anything to say about that. The only thing that Sombra could think of was if she were to give this Mirror of Alternative Realities to some poor fool who didn't know any better and let them be their own downfall.

His attention shifted over to the Remembrance Stone, which he studied the photo of curiously. It didn't seem dangerous at the first read of its description, but in the wrong hooves, to see the memories of the one who'd once owned it would give the new holder plenty of information that they could use against the previous owner- depending on who that owner was. The lack of knowledge on what else this Stone could do made it a wildcard of what Hou Shuren could want with it or use it for- it could be anything.

"Judging from what I can tell from the two artifacts that you've shown me, I imagine that it could easily be this Remembrance Stone. If you lot don't have a clue what else it can do other than view the memories of its previous owner, there's a chance Hou Shuren might, and she could easily be able to use its other powers against you and others. It comes across as far more dangerous in her hooves than the Mirror," Sombra paused to gesture his hoof towards the photo of the artifact mentioned, "and it doesn't bode too well. Hou Shuren has been around for a long time. Perhaps as long as I have been, if not longer. Her power has grown over the centuries since I last ever ran into her. Even without these artifacts she's dangerous as it is, whether she's around a bunch of alicorns or your average citizens. As to the why?"

Sombra placed the photos down and shrugged. "If she can figure out who used to own it, I'm sure she'd be able to peruse their memories for anything at all that can give her an edge on.. whatever it is she plans to do. If she knows what else it can do, or figures it out.. who knows? The mere lack of information on its other powers is something I already don't like."

• 4 weeks later...

(sorry for delay...)

image.jpeg

Luna listened intently as the conversation flowed between Sombra and Twilight. He own magic flickered from time to time at any notion of an attack on Equestria. She would stand in the way of anything that came for her beloved lands. But, what was coming? By the sound of it, there might be a threat that would know the chinks in their armor. This did not bode well at all. The Princess sat in the throne, maintaining composure for the time being.

She still did not trust what thus tyrant was up to. How could the ruler of the land trust a pony who had more than once sought to destroy it? But, the words he was giving seemed accurate for the time being and this threat he spoke of a real and present danger.

"There seems to be only two possible solutions to this." She sipped her water as she mused. "We must either discover who owned this Stone of Remembrance or we must face this sorceress before she gains any more knowledge from the artifact." 

"Best course of action?" Luna knew that ruling meant deliberating and discussing for lengthy periods of time. This was something Twilight was good at, but Luna lost patience fairly easily these days. 

• 3 weeks later...

"I see. I believe you are right, Sombra. The stone is very likely the prize she sought. Based on our knowns and our unknowns when it comes to that artifact I believe we are right to be worried," Twilight said as her horn lit up once more, sending everything involving this discussion away. "We will have to prepare active measures and countermeasures while the Keepers continue to delve into the mysteries of the Stone," she nodded to Luna. "I am sure we will have a plan soon. Very soon, if I may borrow you tonight?" She asked the Princess, happy to see her engaged in this. She knew Celestia was the most powerful pony in the land but there was a certain decisiveness to Luna that would be well-needed for her plan.

She turned back to Sombra.

"But as ffor you, Sombra. You did something very kind today. You had no reason to bring this information to us, let alone to...humor us, or me rather, with these questions. Yet you did. For that, you have my thanks. But my thanks are likely not enough for you," she said as she pulled a box out of thin air, gently hovering it towards him. The box opened, revealing a single item, a staff that grew in length as it left the box. "This is a relic of a bygone era, the Staff of the Glacial Isle. It is a powerful defense artifact in its own right, and is rumored to be the key that opens an island castle in the Far Badlands. For helping us in this task, I offer this as thanks, and as a sign of our goodwill and growing friendship," she said with a soft end, hoping he would take it in good spirits.

A grimace was quick to find its way onto Sombra's face when Luna piped up, suggesting the two options that they had. His grimace was for the latter suggestion: confronting Hou Shuren and trying to get the Remembrance Stone back. He'd been caught off guard when Hou faced him, a little rusty and out of his element. It was the only reason why she'd managed to best him and when he'd not wanted to fight her or anypony to begin with. Next time around though, he certainly wanted to be prepared even though he didn't fancy having to do so again anytime soon.

His red eyes flitted between the two princesses when Twilight addressed Luna, hinting at a talk that they were likely to have later this night that he knew he wouldn't be privy to. As Twilight turned back to him and summoned forth a box, surprise flashed across his face at what she was offering him, a surprise that was shortly followed by a confused furrow of his dark brows.

His magic reached for the staff within the opened box. "Why would you give me something like this?" he asked her, staring at the staff for a moment before looking past it to Twilight. "And what friendship? You barely know anything about me and I don't know anything about you outside of your.. granted royalty. I brought you this information out of spite for Hou Shuren, who could've easily gained me as an ally if she'd not attacked me and only heard me out about her wild suspicions." Sombra snorted and rolled his eyes. "I'm not sure why you would.. do this, let alone think that way after what I've done, and what I've heard my doppleganger do."