Crouching Guardian, Hidden Yokai (Dusty, Pretzels)

Blueblood

Feng Banner 2.png

Feng Yinhaitao was not a longma known for his ability to keep still for long.  Unless totally dedicating himself to keeping vigilance over the person of the Empress, he was often seen shuffling his wings, flying, marching, practicing, sparring, or just anything to burn off the buzzing energy that always seemed to flow through his nerves.  Therefore, no one in the Dragon Palace would have especially noticed his especially ebullient mood of late.  Which was good, considering the reason.  *I have a chance, an actual chance, with Empress Yue.  Just one mission, one seemingly impossible mission, ha!  Impossible mission, meet irrepressible Feng!*  

That was, perhaps, papering over the problem.  The Empress had asked for the new leadership of the Long Kong Triad to be in some way captured or neutralized, to halt the spread of their influence over Southern Long Guo.  Not only was that a tall order, but he had to keep it under wraps (lest spies leak word back) and be careful in its execution, lest it spill over and hurt family he had... in the area.  

Fortunately, he had two aces up his sleeve.  His new recruit, Rongyu, and his old friend, Yanhua.  The former was being taken out "on extended training patrol" and the latter was supposedly taking a long deserved vacation from the Royal Kitchen.  He'd left separately with the large mare carrying the enormous sword, explaining that they were going to rendesvouz with a contact in the forest some ways out of the city.  "When we meet with them, I will explain what it is we are about to do.  I think you will find it most... interesting."

• Like 1
  • Hearthoof 1

How thing’s change and how they stay the same. She spent years doing long patrols in the vast countryside of the Empire. And here she was doing it again but in a new outfit. She’d fuss but honestly leaving the city was welcomed in many ways. The stillness and peace of the open lands outside its walls will let her decompress. For a moment at least. So she was happy to be taken out on this ‘extended training patrol’ as Feng called it. She can’t think of what training she’d need. It was clear in the paperwork she was used to spending weeks out on patrols. 

It did not take long for things to clear up. This was not just some patrol, something was going on. They were to meet up with some contact out in the forest. “Interesting?” Rongyu says back as she looks down at Feng. She was outfitted in a uniform befitting her new post that matched Fengs in colors. Yet hers had much more lamellar armor outfitted on it. She was not as fast as Feng so she took the path of being the anvil to his hammer. The armor was key to such doctrine. She had the size and strength to hold a line as he flanked and hammered the back. But the outfit and size only added to the humorous contrast between them.

“You mean she’s nice on the eyes?” Rongyu added with a vipers grin. She found it odd how Fang did not seem to care about or notice all the mares that… Tossed themselves at him. It was honestly eye rolling. At least her fellow soldiers in the army knew a good time when they saw it. Oh well. It made for fun teasing with how clueless he seemed to be. Still she did wonder about just what they were getting in to.

• Like 2

d3J1Zmi.png

Yanhua had been looking forward to a pleasant day out with Feng. She brought with her an entire picnic basket full of treats. There was no way to express just how much delight swelled up in her when the stallion approached her in the kitchen and asked her out for a special night. He said she needed a vacation and never had a truer statement been said. Even with the aid of exceptional Sous Chef, it could be exhausting keeping the kitchen in perfect working order. Some time off would give said Sous chef a chance to shine on her own and get some needed experience. Even more important: FENG ASKED HER OUT! 

She pulled out all the stops to make sure she was ready. Fine tuning her guise to make sure it was as lovely as possible and even making sure to clean her true form more thoroughly than before. It was awkward explaining to the guards just why she needed to bring home so much shampoo last night, but she had eight long tails to wash and on a special night out with the stallion who had left such a mark on her life she wasn't about to cut any corners.  Every follicle of fur was washed and cleaned, she even put on some nice subdued perfume on her coat to make sure it smelled perfect. With how much she was thinking about Feng in the lead up to the trip she imagined that Feng's ears might have caught fire or he might worry that the gardener's had put those plants back. In the end, Yanhua was ready for the best night of her life. 

The meeting place was a nice out of the way path a good distance off from the forest, far, far away from prying eyes or listening ears. She could only imagine what sort of things Feng had in mind. Such thoughts quickly brought a flush to her cheeks and got her so flustered that one of her tails slipped out of the illusion as she giggled dreamily. The sound of Hoofsteps brought her out of her imaginary revelry, the dawled up qilin hopping up from the blanket she sat on with a grin. 

"Feng! So good to ... see... you..." She blinked a moment at the sight of the giant of a mare beside him, "Um. Hello, Rongyu. I didn't know you were coming... is something amiss?"

• Haha 1
  • Hearthoof 1

Feng Banner 2.png

Feng was brought up short by Rongyu's question.  "Eh, what?  Oh, no, no.  I mean, not that she's bad looking, but that's... not really relevant to what we're doing."  Her assessment of her superior's obliviousness was not in the least exaggerated, as a somewhat lovestruck disguised kitsune, who right up until this second was under the impression she had been asked out on a date by the stallion of her dreams, was dragged by her would-be longma beau straight into a mission briefing.

"Ah, there you are, Yanhua!  Nothing's amiss, I just needed both of you here before we could begin."  Pulling her into position beside Rongyu, he addressed them as captain to subofficers.  "Right, the Empress has charged me, which is to say, us, with a critical mission of high importance and top secrecy!  We are to infiltrate the Triad in Long Kong, figure out who their new leader is, and capture and/or neutralize her in order to leave their criminal operations in Long Guo in complete disarray!"  He was grinning, heedless of any disappointed hopes he may have left in his wake.  "You wanted big opportunities for heroism, Rongyu?  It's sink or swim time!"

• Like 2

“What the…” Rongyu spoke underneath her breath as she took in the view. It looked like… A picnic? But that was hardly what she focused on the most. The cook, Yanhua, was here as well and she looked… Well, gorgeous. She was never bad on the eyes but this was something new. She was just stunning today and it left Rongyu somewhat breathless. But the real knock-out came when she understood what just happened. The confused look, the food put out for just two… The blush was lost in shock. Oh no… This poor mare. Can her Captain really be this clueless? Yes, Yes he can be. He did not even stop step as he launched in to his pre-op briefing. By the gods how can he not see what was going on? This poor mare…

She moved to take her seat next to Yanhua and noticed how nice the mare smelled as well. She really was going all out. Fur brushed so smooth it looked like silk and touched with perfume. Her main was spotless and her tails… Tails? When did she have two tails? And why did one look like a foxs? Whatever Feng was talking about hardly mattered at that moment. The briefing can be repeated. “Yanhua…” She spoke up, leaning over to the mare. “I have two things to say. First, you look gorgeous. Truly. I’m sorry he’s this blind… And… When did you grow a fox's tail?” She asked in a whisper, then looked at Feng. “Uh, sorry sir… Can you repeat that?" She asked him… As she honestly missed everything he was saying. She only got the end of something about sinking or swimming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

d3J1Zmi.png

Yanhua kept her confused look as she was unceremoniously pulled up beside the giant of a mare. Of course he had to start his explanation with the empress. Of course he did. As Feng elaborated on this immensely important mission, his friend seemed to visibly deflate. That hint of a smile on her muzzle had faded into a neutrally flat line. For the first time in a while her eyes opened a sliver to reveal the slitted pupils and green irises. 

There was a storm of emotion whirling around in her heart. Frustration at being deceived, self-loathing at how foolish she was, and anger at how Feng could be this absolutely oblivious. Still, he was sitting there with that adorable smile on his face with not a hint of malice in his soul. Why was she cursed to be so smitten with this thick headed guard? Rongyu wasn't the only one who failed to absorb the briefing. Yanhua was off in her own little world, trying to fight back the urge to just pounce on the stallion and shake some sense into him. Wanting to demand that he at least devoted a little thought to why she even looked like this right now. Eventually some words brought her out of her ponderings: words belonging to Rongyu. 

"At least -somebody- noticed..." The qilin let out a huff, "Thank you, Rongyu." 

The question that the guard asked though made her eyes widen and her tail(s) fluff out in shock. She turned around to see some of her true self had slipped through her disguise. Well, this wasn't going to be explained away. "Serves me right for getting my hopes up so high." With a heavy sigh she would look up to the tall mare, "Well, you were probably going to find out sooner or later." Yanhua backed away from the pair and took a deep breath through her nose. Her eyes snapped shut once again and a circle of green flames rose up around her hooves then rose up. Those green fires engulfed her body as if burning away a veil around her then revealed the creature beneath it. A pony sized orange fox stretched out where Yanhua stood, eight serpentine length tails flared out behind her before grouping up in swirled masses. 

6bY7jSx.png

"I guess now you can put together why I was sniffing at you when you first arrived." The magical vulpine sat down on the cool grass and smiled at Rongyu, "You're very skilled at shapeshifting, but there aren't many who can fool this nose." 

• Like 2

Feng Banner 2.png

It took a good solid few seconds for Feng to figure out that neither of his two companions had gotten much of anything from his briefing.  The realization brought him up short, as not being privvy to the conversation between them, having Yanhua's true nature suddenly revealed caused his mental train to skip the tracks.  "Hanabi?  Why are you...?"  He asked, slipping into her old, real name in puzzlement.  But the engine driving his thoughts had too much momentum, and even free on the open plains, it kept on keeping on, heedless of the disaster it courted.  "Ah, good initiative!  We're probably not going to be able to keep many secrets from each other on this mission, and truth be told, we're going to need your special skills before the end."  It was all making sense, in his mind, at least.  Hanabi had needed to reveal to Rongyu why she had been brought along when not a guard, and obviously that was going to distract from his briefing.  Picnic basket?  Hanabi always brought food, it was what she did.  At least, he'd never seen her without some for him, so she must do that for everyone, right?

Turning back to his recruit, the captain explained.  "In case you were wondering, yes, that's why I invited the palace cook.  Skills in disguise and infiltration will come in handy when we arrive in Long Kong.  We've been sent to disrupt their operations and pull out a key leader from the Triad organization."

• Like 2

The giant of a mare took a few steps back from the swelling storm of fire. Yet she did not look all too shocked about this, just fasanted. For she was just that. As soon as it began she knew what Yanhua was. She’s never gotten to meet a fox but knew of them. And this did explain so much! No wonder she kept feeling off about Yanhua. She was picking up on what the mare truly was. So she watched in wonderment… She was somewhat shocked how small Yanhua was in her real body. But all that fur! The tails! She looked so. Warm. And even ehr real body looked so well groomed, fur glittering in the sun as if it was silk. She wanted to reach out and embrace the tails but knew better. “Oh. Wow. You look even more gorgeous...” She mutters softly. It was no lie, this fox was incredible. Shame she was head over tails in love with the world's most blind stallion… Still, she smiled back at Yanhua. It gave her some heart to see that smile. For all the heartbreak she gave Yanhua something too smile about and well… 

What? What  was she saying about shapeshifting? “Wha- no no, shapeshifting? Me? You are the shapeshifting one.” She fussed, looking somewhat nervous about that. She then looked over at Feng. Yanhua was… Well, like her. But still she can’t just drop the act! Can she? She’s known them for at most a month! And Yanhua was some cute fox, blind as Feng is, at least he’d see the same thing. But her? She knew well how the mortals reacted. Maybe some part of that is her own fault. Mortals are pretty yummy. But that made it all the more important she kept the act. “All I can do is normal mortal things. No shapeshifting or being incorporeal.” She added with a nod of her head, trying too ignore the growing amount of mist pooling up around her legs. She did her best to swoosh it away with her tail, everything going on was distracting and this blasted mist followed her like some lost puppy! "So! Feng, repeat on that breff?" 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

6bY7jSx.png

Rongyu's immediate reaction caught the fox by surprise... How long had it been since she'd gotten an honest compliment that hadn't been platonic in nature? Years? Decades? She was a pretty face in the palace in her disguise but compared to the empress and many other nobles she may as well fade into the background. It was a welcome gesture though, judging by the smile that spread across her slender muzzle. "Relax, Rongyu." The fox sauntered up to her fellow yokai and waved her paw around at the mist swelling around the guard's fetlocks, "Feng already knows about you and still wishes to give you your chance to shine... In no small part thanks to me. I hope you'll forgive me but I still need to keep an eye out for the empress even if I'm not in the guard." She sniffed a few times at the sword baring mare, "... although, I suppose in this case it's more I had to keep my nose clear."

Yanhua left her confession hang in the air for a moment before dipping her head, "I hope you'll forgive me for sharing that... if it makes any difference I did not tell him the details. Perhaps you'd like to share such things on your own terms." The fox tails shifted behind her and slithered down to start fanning away some of the gathering mist, "... and thank you for those kind words. At least SOMEONE noticed my efforts." If she was going to be dragged into Feng's mission, then she may as well try and be impressive in some other way. 

Feng resumed his briefing and Yanhua listened with an unimpressed expression. 

"The Triad? Really?" She asked with a tilt of her head, "I know my skills in disguise are legendary... though I still could have used some warning. Disguising myself is easier than disguising others with my magic alone. Well, Unless we made some sort of vow or Contract." She probably could managed to give Feng some sort of glamour that would befuddle most of the triad. It wouldn't take much energy but it would probably need to be done on the way to their destination. 

"If we're going really do this I suppose I'll need to tell you what magics I can do besides illusions."

• Hearthoof 2

Feng Banner 2.png

If Feng noticed the mutual admiration beginning to grow between the two Yokai of the team... actually, no, he did actually notice that.  He wasn't that unobservant, but beyond gladdening at the sight of them getting along, it didn't seem to leave much of an impact on him.  And he most certainly did not notice any snide remarks sent his way.  "Yes, like Yanhua mentioned, I'm aware that your abilities exceed that of normal qilin.  And it's worth pointing out, in the spirit of full disclosure, that I'm quite skilled at disguises myself."  Digging under the mist, he pulled a stashed suitcase from underneath some root hollows.  "Just I use more... practical effects, as it were.  I actually have a couple of false identities left over from my days as a Watcher doing undercover work.   Stowed away some essential supplies before I transferred, that's why I called you here specifically."

The suitcase would open to reveal a disguise kit, makeup, some more modern urban fashion, fake tattoos, and mane dye.  "We'll have to get a little close to the southern coast before I change into Bai Lee Kong, but just know that my false self has already garnered a bit of a reputation in the underworld.  Not exactly good, but memorable, and I can call on witnesses to my veracity."  Closing the case again, he nodded at Yanhua.  "Yes, we probably should do a full disclosure of what we can rely on each other to do.  Oh, and sorry Rongyu, I guess you were distracted?"  He nodded towards the fox, infuriatingly seeming aware of her attractiveness, even as he missed that he was its intended target.  "We are doing a precision strike against their leadership, to disrupt their operations.  Not aiming to take down the whole shebang, not really possible, but throw them into enough chaos so that other branches of law enforcement can curtail their efforts on the mainland.  I'm sure you're aware that this is necessary, given what we've recently seen in the capital."  He referred to their first patrol, where a hotel had hosted a meeting of 'perfectly legitimate business long-sun'.

Rongyu had to admit to herself that it may be hard to focus on the job at hoof with this foxes hunches stuck in her head. What can she say, she picked up her worst and best aspects in the Imperial army. Everyone picks up some vice. Drinking. Smoking. Or chasing every tail in the bar. She picked up on the latter. But this was no bar much as she wished it too be. Yet Yanhua was not the most distracting thing here. No, it was Feng and that had nothing too do with his looks. She had no clue what every mare saw in that thick headed colt. Yanhua was making her feelings felt and strongly at that! And yet… He did not even seem too notice. Was he really that blind to the feelings of others? Were all Watchers like this? He may have left that post for a new one but he was still colder than she ever was to the feelings of others. 

“Full disclosure?” She says, looking between the google booking vixen and the clueless colt. “Fine. first thing then.” She fixed her gaze on Feng. “Feng, try to land a hit on me. Hold nothing back. And I do mean nothing. Well, hold back the mint.” she grins as she speaks, the mist building up around her even more. Thick and heavy it flowed up her legs. She was nervous to do this. To even hint at her real self. But the cat was out of the bag. So best she opened up. Mostly. So why not start with her most useful trait? Unless something was packing some magic blades made to land hits on what can not be hit… Well, many a bandit and raider found out the hard way how much good it does to swing a sword in the mist.

• Like 1

6bY7jSx.png

initially, Hanabi was impressed at Feng's history of undercover work. It explained all those long absences he went on that he couldn't talk about. Any admiration she had was swiftly replaced by a fierce frustration. That remark directed at Rongyu meant that he did in fact notice all her hard work. All the time she spent primping and prepping for a special night... and it had no affect at all? Back in rice fields all those years ago a long would have been knocked dead by her radiance if she showed up looking like this. The vixen visibly bristled as this realization sunk in an irritated huff finding its way out her muzzle, "... At this rate I'll need to cause a lot of chaos to blow off this steam." 

To say he mood had soured was and understatement, would be more apt to say it had pickled.

If Feng was going to be this dense then he surely wouldn't notice just how far under her skin he'd gotten. With a little huff, The fox sat down off to the side as Rongyu and Feng got into position. Seems the scaled warrior wished to show off, this would be an interesting sight. Over a century had gone by since Hanabi witnessed the magic of a snake yokai in person. Back when she first saw spells conducted through mist she was a kit who could barely control a mote of flame. Now, she had several centuries worth of magical experience and knowledge in her head that she could bring to bear. Maybe tonight she could show Feng and Rongyu why she was venerated as a guardian deity of the rice fields in ancient Long Guo. 

• Like 1

Feng Banner 2.png

Feng might not have had a sense for some things, but he had a nose for trouble, and those metaphorical nostrils were full of the scent of a big pot o' trouble brewing.  No matter how dense the stallion may be, that some world of hurt was in store for him and that he may well have himself to blame for it was beginning, slowly, to dawn upon him.

It was a bit unfortunate for Yanhua, therefore, that Rongyu's combat challenge provided a good and obvious explanation of the creeping feeling the captain was beginning to be unable to ignore.  The mist, the grin, the admonition to hold nothing back... except the breath.  Well, at least if this second Yokai ever went rogue, he'd know what to pull out.  "Oh?  Well let's see if you don't regret that..."  Habitually covering worries with a cocky grin, he spread his wings and took to the air, sweeping up to gain altitude rapidly, pitching around to come down rear-hooves first in a whirling flurry of blows!

• Like 1

Rongyu just watched Feng take to the air with her eyes. Not moving at all she watched him dive down, rare legs first to some diving kick. She did not even try to leap out of his way, yet he slammed hooves first in to the ground. He did not miss, yet his blows passed her as if he was trying to land a blow on the mist of a waterfall. “Looks like you missed Captain!” She barked with a big fanged grin, then swung her head to the side, grabbed the shaft of her huge sword and pulled it free of the sheath. Well, that was not ture. It simply passed through its own sheath as she swung it up in the air, then swung around to bring the huge blade down on Feng in one flowing ark of movement. She betted on him moving before it hit but just to be safe… Did keep her blade incorporeal so if she did land a hit it was going to pass him harmlessly. She can’t risk cutting her captain in half. That’d ruin over a decade's work! And she was not about to replay bootcamp and reclaim the ranks. 

Feng Banner.png

Part of becoming a Watcher meant knowing when you could or could not trust your senses.  Feng knew that he saw his hooves connect with Rongyu's body, and also knew that he felt nothing but ground collide with them.  He also knew that he was fighting a Yokai, and that illusions were part of their repertoire.  Therefore, it seemed logical to conclude that some sophisticated illusion work was at hoof.  Catching her move her sword right through her sheathe was only confirmation to him.

Well, what do you do if you think you're being played for a fool?  Go off-script, that was what!  Granted, it was probably pretty stupid to bet his life on the fact that the sword wasn't going to actually slice through him, but he'd taken risks that big in real fights before.  One gets a high tolerance for such things.  He stayed absolutely still as he landed, looking Rongyu in the eyes as the blade whooshed through him.  He grinned, "Not bad work, but you'll have to be more convincing with your illusion work than that.  Have Yanhua give you lessons!"  Making another bet that such a move would catch her off-guard, Feng rushed forward, a spinning blur of limbs, aiming to seek more than strike.  After all, he couldn't trust what he could see, only what he could feel...

• Like 1

Rongyu was genuinely shocked to see her blade ‘hit’ Feng. It really was good she kept it, and herself, untouchable. She failed to grasp why he didn't move until he spoke up. Illusions? The only illusions here was this pony body. But he did seem to think she her-self was some illusion and waved his hooves about to find the ‘real’ her. She just looked at him, blinking as his hooves hit at nothing for a few moments. “Illusion.” She was not asking about it, just saying it as if the word was confusing. The moment his attacks shifted away from herself she swung her sword again, side on like a big paddle, and this time it did not pass through him. The hunk of iron she called a sword slammed in to Feng like a ship oar being swung by some bull raider aiming for his flank. "No sir, that's not how this magic works. I'm a Hebi." 

Feng Banner.png

It was a good theory.  It meant he didn't die.  But he wasn't correct enough to win. 

BWHANG!

Instead, he found himself literally spanked in front of Yanhua, with sufficient force to send him flying without the use of his wings, where he then landed without use of his legs.  With stinging flanks and spitting muzzle, he cleared the dirt from his tongue as he scrambled up, not yet sure if the fight was still on or if his recruit thought that sufficient demonstration of her skill and kind.  "Hebi?"  He asked, in the same tone Rongyyu had used on the word 'illusion.'  "I'm... not familiar with the word.  Not from Neighpon, you see."

• Like 1

Yanhua let out an undignified snort as she bore witness to Feng's spanking. The little sparring match went about as well as she assumed it might. Feng was a skilled warrior in many respects and had even fought magic wielding opponents... but as far as she knew he had little experience actually dealing with Yokai magic. A hint of nostalgia came to her as she remembered her days in the past toying with warriors unaware of her illusive nature. Back then she couldn't make herself immaterial like Rongyu could, but with almost a millenia worth of experience under her belt, Yanhua was sure there weren't many problems she couldn't tackle. 

"A hebi is a serpent yokai, Feng." She grinned at Rongyu, "It should be obvious in hindsight, Such creatures are all muscle and Rongyu is the picture of strength with a splash of cunning." 

The fox thought for a moment, trying to decide where to start with her abilities. "Well, the most obvious assets I posess besides a lovely coat and skills at disguise..." She pulled in a deep breath and then exhaled several motes of flame from her nostrils, "Would be my Foxfire... It's a unique flame I can produce from my breath, or off my tails. It isn't terribly destructive beyond making someone feel like they're on fire if I wish them to. I've found them most useful in disabling and damaging other forms of magic. If I were to cover you in it Feng, you wouldn't actually be burning but you may feel as if you were... in addition to feeling it burning away your magical reserves until you're exhausted." 

"Beyond that... I have a few spells that are simple to activate and sew confusion." She sat back on her hind legs and raised her paws, "This is one of my favorites." 

A clap rang out across the clearing as the fox's paws met. In the span of a blink of an Eye, Feng would find himself sitting where Yanhua was earlier. The vixen in herself was now sitting where Feng had landed seconds prior, "If something has a magical presence that I'm aware of and isn't too large... I can swap places with it."

• Like 2

Rongyu looked over at Yanhua as the other mare spoke up, giving her take on what a hebi is for Feng. “Well, not all muscles. At least from are point  of view. Ever seen an onikuma or gyūki? Makes even me look like some court scribe. But for you mortals…” she looked back at Feng, smiling. “We are pretty strong. My dad can crush boulders between his coils like its glass. But that’s something for another day. All like me can… Well.” She trots closer to Feng, then holds out a hoof that passed into his chest without effort. She pulled it back, then pushed it at him again. This time it pushed Feng back softly. “I can be corporeal and incorporeal at will. In water I can pretty easily remove myself from view as well.” She thinks for a moment, wondering how much she should give away. “But it works both ways. Being corporeal or incorporeal. If you can’t touch me I can’t touch you. If I can touch you you can touch me. So I do have to be careful in combat.” With that done she backed away from Feng and watched Yanhua show her stuff.

Not that she needed some reason to eye up the cute fox. “Ah, fox fire. Heard about it but never seen it in use. Didn't know it did not burn something. Not that it matters as the pain from thinking you are on fire may do some pony in.” she remarked. Then with a small look of shock watched her trade places with Feng in a clap. “Ohh!” Now that was a cool trick. “Nifty that can be useful.” she says, ginning at the fox that popped in next to her. “Pretty, skilled in magic AND a very good cook. How some stallion is not tripping over himself to win your heart I don’t know. Maybe I need too try.” She added with a wink.

• Like 1

Feng Banner 2.png

Feng, even using his hindsight, really couldn't say it was obvious to him at all.  Of course, Rongyu's strength was clear enough, and her explanation of insubstantiality was intuitive enough.  "Huh, didn't know that was possible.  I mean, there are legends of monks who managed to obtain 'astral bodies of chi' after intensive training, but I'd never heard of such things actually happening here and now.  Hm, perhaps there were hebi and the like in the founding of the monasteries?"  Something to ponder, for sure.  Certainly he was learning a lot of new things today.

The foxfire, too, was new to him, given that he'd never really seen his friend in any truly hostile situation.  "Huh, that... is actually quite the skill.  Besides the burning off of magic, makes a hell of a distraction.  I wonder... can it also burn on the magic of enchantments and constructs?"  That would certainly put paid to any magical wards, locks, and alarms if so!

Speaking of distraction, Feng suddenly blinked to find himself disoriented and repositioned.  "Huh- oh."  He blinked a couple of times, looking around him.  "That is damn impressive, if you don't mind me saying so."

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A sly chuckled escaped the fox's muzzle, "It's nice to be noticed for once.Thank you, Rongyu." It had been a long time since she'd run into one of the stronger variations of her kin, onikuma or gyuki. She had to dip deep into her memories to recall that last time she'd seen one in person. The former brought to mind lurching mountains of muscle and fur, while the latter conjured thoughts of charging horns propelled but mighty sinew. A little shiver ran down her spine, "I think I much enjoy your serpentine company rather than an ursine or bovine presence." 

There was good reason that Feng had never seen his friend in hostile situations: She often avoided them. Yanhua was no coward, but if there was anything to know about the foxes of Neighpon it was that they never fought honestly if they could help it. Even with tooth and claw, Magic was the weapon they always brought to bare and theirs was a deceptive and confusing magic. Illusions, hypnosis, pranks, tricks, and contracts, these were Hanabi's favored means of defense. That wasn't to say she couldn't protect herself without magic... but if someone more skilled in hoof to hoof fighting got close she would rather not dirty her paws of teeth. If it came down to it she could always cover an assailant with foxfire. 

Feng's compliment seemed flummox the vixen. Did she hear that right? Impressive? If showing off magical skill was what could catch this stallion's attention, what on earth did she spend all this time in kitchens for?

"To create wondrous cuisine" was the answer. Still, to hear a compliment so authentic was enough to get all eight tails swaying in delight. "Well." She cleared her throat and puffed out her chest, "It's about time you noticed my talents... As for your questions. It can burn the magic of enchantments and constructs as well. It gets easier depending on when the enchantments were set and the skill of who set them. If you wish me to burn away the magical lock of some wizard... depending on wizard it could take an hour. Lucky for you, I'm quite a finely aged creature and there are few mages who could give me trouble. If one is nearing I would smell it on their magic as soon as they're near."

• Like 1
  • Hearthoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rongyu cocked her head to the side at the legends of monks having powers like her. She’s heard of them too… But she’s heard of monks doing heaps of crap. Just about every book has one with some magic power or another. So she never put much stock in it. And if some did learn her power… Well she just didn't like the sound of some mortals trying to be like her. But that was hardly important. What was important, at least to her, was the fact Feng's one passing complement was all it took for Yanhua to fall head over tails back in to line for him. It was honestly heartbreaking seeing this vixen so utterly in love with that blind fool. She’s known him for a few months and knew for a fact his brain was utterly blind to the mares around him. 

Why this was she did not know. But she had some hunches. First, maybe he was a stallion stuffer. But he just did not have that air about him, she’d pick up on it. Second he had his heart locked and set on something… Something he was unwilling or fearful of being known. And that… Well, she had a hunch for this hunch. There was one mare he’d talk about forever if you let him. The Empress. Now she had no proof, yet, but it was a good hunch she felt. And it made all of this more sad. He wanted what he’d never have and in doing so trapped Yanhua in the same endless pit of lusting and wanting. Both of them needed a rude awakening and a kick out of that dream. And she’d do it if she must. Why? Well, she didn't know. Maybe she just wanted a peace of Yanhua. Maybe she was just annoyed about this insane plot of love they had going on. Maybe she was just bored. She can’t say. 

“Finely aged?” She snorted at that remark and looked over at the fox. “Even I’m ‘finely aged’ compared to the oldest mortal. Not that hard of a bar to pass Yanhua. It's like comparing wine too a pop-drink the colts so love.” She then looked at Fang and gave him a sheepish smile. “But I admit he can kick my flank in battle. For now. But we have a duty to get to, do we not? The cat is out of the bag. My truth is in the open. Now shall we be briefed proper for this task at hoof? I honestly was so distracted I don’t recall what we are doing.”

• Like 1

Feng Banner 2.png

Many branches of the military around the world had a saying: "The difficult we do quickly, the impossible takes a little longer."  As a stallion, Feng lived that as his personal motto, which made him both a valuable and highly irritating longma to have as a friend.  Valuable, because letting him know their true nature and capabilities did not in any way risk Feng's ire or fear; if anything, it solidified his commitments.  Irritating, because it was *actually* impossible to dislodge him from any goal he'd set his heart upon.

Including this mission.  Right.  He kicked open the box he dug, up, bringing out a new set of clothing, some mane dye and gel, and other accoutrements.  "Ah, yes.  Between your magic, Yanhua, and your strength, Rongyu, I'm more confident than ever in our mission.  Which is a surgical strike at the leadership of the Long Kong triad.  They've been building up a network in Long Guo proper, and unless we act now, it will be almost impossible to uproot them.  We hope to disrupt their operations with the arrest of a critical leader.
"Now,"
He said, beginning to shed his uniform in front of the two mares, "There's a couple of things we have going for us.  First, I have a false identity set up from my time back in the Watchers that I used to infiltrate the criminal underworld.  As far as I know, it remains uncompromised, and so gives us some social capital and verisimilitude for infiltration."  Having shed the uniform, he put on the clothes more typical of a Long Kong native.  "My pseudonym is Bao Lee, by the way, please try to remember that.  You might also want to put on some new disguises too, because what we do in Long Kong shouldn't follow us back to Huangjing, ideally."

Once his clothes were on, he took the mane gel and styled it in a spiky, trendy urban manner.  When mixed with the dye, it provided a rainbow-like sheen to the color than moved and dazzled in the light.  "They remember the mane, and not many other details."  He explained.  "And since I'm obviously a thug trying to stand out with a put-on look, no one tries to pierce my disguise.  Except there's one mare I'm not going to be able to fool..."  He took a deep breath, they'd both revealed their secrets, now he had to reveal his.  "And that's our second ace, as it were.  I have a sister in Long Kong, Yin, who has taken a position as a Grass Slipper in the Triad.  I'm hoping to be able to call in favor with her, otherwise..."  He completed his new look with a pair of shades, "This will be a relatively more difficult job."

Yin would have appreciated the pun, whether or not his current audience did.

• Like 1

"Yes, yes." Nodded the fox with smirk, "Back to business and all that." 

While still a bit let down by all the build up earlier, the chef was looking forward to a bit of trickery. It had been ages since she'd properly toyed with someone who -in her opinion- honestly deserved it. In those halcyon days of early long guo she had gotten under the skin of all sorts, corrupt nobles, exploitative merchants, even the occasional bandit. Taking on an organized criminal organization? Now that was a challenge that she could cut her teeth on. With a big stretch that went all the way down her back, Yanhua once again took her seat to actually listen to this bizarre briefing. 

At first, She was content to curl up and listen to stallion explain the operation... but the sound of a box being opened and mane gel being applied brought her attention back to Feng. As soon as she got a look at him in his guise she had to hide her muzzle and stifle and bout of laughter. Yanhua had known bits and pieces of feng's history, including his time as a troublemaking prankster colt. Seeing him looking like one of those wild wannabe triad stallions and mares on the street just was too amusing. Having known the stallion for so long she couldn't picture him as anything besides the lovestruck guardian who strove to keep his nose clean. This "Bao Lee" guise may as well be like putting on a fake mustache, but she could see how someone unfamiliar could accept this ruse. 

Feng's little pun at the end broke her restraint enough that her laughter escaped in the sound of an undignified snort. She was quick to try and regain her composure and look up and down the guard, "Hmm... A new disguise? It has been a while since I've made one." She strolled around Feng in a small circle, inspecting his appearance to get a sense of the fashion. Once she felt she'd caught the thread Yanhua stepped back and conjured up her flames to engulf him like a dressing room curtain. Her silhouette could be viewed through it as it shifted back into a more equine shape. When she stepped out she looked similar to her usual appearance at least in shape but there were a few alterations. Her mane was now a neon green that matched her fire and seemed to be styled into something more punkish. She'd also produced a pair of wings to pass herself off as a longma.

"How does this work?"

• Hearthoof 2

“Oh?” Was all she had to say at first. Going after the triad was a big deal. Very noteworthy and an extremely good stepping stone for the path she seeked. But one part of this… Was not sitting well with her. And it was fully on her shoulders. It was easy to understand why Feng did not even think about this. He’d just think she can toss on a new body as easily as the fox did. And by the old ones did Yanhua make it look easy. That hit home how much stronger the fox was in magic compared to herself. The vixen was nothing to mess with, and that made her want the fox all the more. It was a challenge and one she wanted to win. But that had to be put to the side for now.

“Be glad it will not be impossible then, hate for this to take too long and for you to go senile… Well, more senile.” She cocked him a toothy grin before pushing on to the meat of things. “So if we go in low and hidden, that will be problematic for me. I can’t change skins as easily as a charming vixen friend, nore am I all that sneaky. Just look at me. This is small as I go and this body feels like wearing pants two sizes too small already. So we may have to dress me up in a more normal disguise as I don’t trust my magic or talents to make a new body that will pass close inspection. Maybe pass me off as some disgruntled veteran taking whatever work I can get? I never served even close to Long Kong so unless they have some old wall guards or troops from the countryside of Huangjing I don’t think they’d know of me.” She says looking between the two she was starting to see as friends. “And this sister… If she betrays us, or moves to stop us… I’m I to spare her? I will if possible but if it's my, Yanhuas or your life in danger and she’s a threat I will kill her.” Sne looked Feng in the eyes on the last part, making it clear this was no joke in poor taste. She was very serious about that.

• Like 1