The Smell of Seduction (ATTN: Skycoaster)

PyroBlaze

This was an interesting time of year for a changeling, even one that didn’t feed on emotions anymore. Even in Canterlot, there was plenty of cheer and love in the air, and this year he even got to contribute to it! Dox walked down the streets of Canterlot disguised as a brown unicorn, a package floating along beside him until he made it to the bat he was looking for. He walked over to Midnight Oil, a bat he had heard much about from Hou, and presented him with the wrapped box. 

“Greetings, Midnight. I got you this gift as part of the Secret Princess event, I hope you enjoy it. You may call me Rising Star, it’s a pleasure to finally meet the stallion Jade told me about.” He smiled at the stallion. 

• Like 1

Midnight had just finished a long shift now that he was back in Canterlot. Hanging his armor in his locker, he would sigh. "Another Hearthswarming away from the family..." He'd smile to the guards about to go on duty. "At least they have their work to keep their mind off of things," he'd mutter to himself as he opened the door and set hoof on the freshly snow covered streets of the city he had called home for a few years now. Slowly he began to make his way to the old house he called home in the section of town they called Ol' Canterlot,' in the shadow of the Castle. Some of his fellow guards that retired with the Princess of the Night had made their home there. Some had families now, though most where like him.

The bat pony would nod and return the greetings of "Happy Hearthsarmings" to any pony who would greet the weary guard. He would be startled as he was approached by a brown unicorn calling himself Rising Star. Midnight would give a faint smile taking the gift under his wing. His eyes lit up like a Hearthswarming log when the unicorn mentioned Jade. "How is she doing? It feels like ages since I last saw her when I was away." Midnight looked around to see if Rising Star had anypony with him, and it appeared he didn't.

"I may not have a gift to give you in return, but at least follow me to 'Ol' Canterlot,' and I'll buy you a pint? It's the least I can do, and I could use some company on this holiday, and I can open this at home."

• Like 2

Dox had to suppress a laugh when he saw how excited Midnight got by the mention of ‘Jade’. It was kinda cute, actually, it made him see more why Hou was so taken by the bat. 

“She is doing good, she has just been busy and couldn’t visit.” He responded with a smile. “As for the pint, very well, that sounds enjoyable. Please be careful with that gift, it has breakable parts.” He added, warning the bat of the glass bottle inside the box. He wasn’t worried about it spilling normally, but if the glass broke that’d be it for both gifts. 

Midnight smiled softly as Rising informed him of what Jade had been up to, as he nodded at the comment about it being breakable. “My place is next to the pub, so we’ll stop by to put the present in a safe place.”

The section of Canterlot they entered resembled a time gone by. Timber frame and white stucco. Even the windows where that of the yellow glass of days gone by. “Might as well come in as I open it.” He said entering his modest house. Walking over to his hearth, he’d put in a few small logs and light it before looking to Rising. “Have a seat as he pointed a hoof at a somewhat dusty couch before sitting in his own dusty chair. “Now then, let’s see what this is.”

“That sounds like a good plan.” He nodded, returning the smile and following Midnight down the streets of Canterlot. He enjoyed walking through the time capsule that was this district, as someone who was as old as him liked being able to go back a bit from time to time. Dox entered the house, smiling as he looked around the place. It was nothing extravagant, but it looked like it worked for the bat. 

“I hope that isn’t a book you have already, I don’t exactly know your collection.” He said as he took a seat. As Midnight opened the package, he would find a copy of the first Daring Do book, but more than that it was a first edition. Also in the box was a clear bottle of liquid, which he explained. “That bottle is some cologne for you, a mix of oranges and silver lotus. That is Jade’s favorite scent, for when you meet up with her next.” Dox said, giving Midnight a wink at the last part. 

Midnight smiled as he saw the book. He’d nod, but still loved the book. “I do, but it’s an old, well read paperback. I’d never thought I I’d see a first edition, let alone own one.” 

Midnight would take note of the vial. “I’ll have to take special care of this,” as he placed it on a shelf that seemed to hold some of his more sentimental objects. One of them his number from the Running of the Leafs…still with a bit of sap on it. Placing his book in his modest collection, he’d turn to his guest. Now then, that pint. Luckily I live next to the pub,” he’d chuckle as he motioned for Rising to follow. 

The pub was scarce with patrons as they entered. It was all dark woodwork with a large mirror behind the bar. Bottles from all over Equestria graced the rear shelves but only one thing caught his nose. He’d take a seat at his normal booth and wait for his guest to be seated. “Two Apple ciders, served hot with a touch of cinnamon and whipped cream.”

”Nothing says Hearthswarming like a good, hot drink, am I right?”

Well, Midnight seemed to like his gift, so that was nice. Dox smiled back at the bat, watching him put the gifts in different places. It made sense to put the book among the others, but the cologne went to a keepsake shelf. It seemed he really liked Hou, and that just made Dox smile more. Soon enough, the two of them went next door for the pub, and he took a look around before sitting in the booth. 

“Tis the season, after all.” He chuckled at Midnight’s words. “What do you do here besides drink? Is there a dart board I missed?”

The bat pony would smile. “Well, there is a billiards table and I think a there is a dart board somewhere in here. To be honest, I often come here after my shifts just to wind down when I’m feeling a bit down. And sometimes I get the food. It’s decent and at a good price. The hay fries are their top seller.”

Midnight would take a few drinks of his freshly arrived cider and looked to Rising to just his thoughts on the taste. 

“The Secret Princess is taking a while to get used to. The creature I got. I turned it into a game. He should be finding hints that will be leading him hear…” Midnight looked at the clock, I’d say on the next train. So,” as the bat pony took another few sips of his drink, ”darts or pool?”