The things we do for love... and land (ATTN: Steel, Dusty)

Like most momentous things in life, Blueblood found that the iniation of his admittedly long-shot goal of re-establishing sphinxes as a living race and kingdom were suddenly advancing after so long at knocking away gradually at them.  The lone survivor of their kind that he had recovered, Niilaavin, had slowly become accustomed to living among ponies, reconciling ancient ways of feline kind to a new era.  This had been a process of years, always with the thought in mind that they would need to find a suitable mate to repopulate the species, and territory for their pride's kingdom.

This had seemed the harder task, and yet it seemed to be coming to a head in mere months!  Niil's study of geography had identified a stretch of Northern Territory where there were light, if any, fronteir settlements, an idea place to hold in exchange for offering border security.  More remarkable still, the sphinx had found a mate!  Sort of.  Blueblood had to admit he couldn't quite tell why the heart had selected in the manner in which it had, save that Spoiled Rich had an absolutely feline ego.  There was also the little problem that she was a pony, but magic could do a lot things these days.

To resolve this matter of love and land would take the Princesses of Love and Friendship to act in concert, and thankfully Blueblood found both amenable to doing this little favor for his feline friend.  Therefore, he wrote letters, made appointments, and arranged travel, wishing Cadence well in hosting Niilaavin and Spoiled Rich... or what she was deciding to call herself now.  She had taken the name Jizara in anticipation of her new life....

• Like 2

Cadance had prepared her Royal Hall as best she could, full in the knowledge that they were in uncharted waters. A part of her was happy. Sphinxes had edged on being entirely extinct or just as well for eons, long before she was alive. The possibility of not only helping that species find a way back into the common vernacular of modern life but civilization itself was a treasure that Cadance was absolutely pleased to be partaking in.

And the fact she was being asked to participate also in the first officially sanctioned union of Sphinxes was a treasure to her. Love in all its forms was special, and love when it would help lead to the salvation of species was special and unique. She had prepared more than her usual bits and baubles for the occasion and was hopeful that Spoiled Rich and Niilaavin would be more than pleased. 

What she was less than happy about was the proposed land arrangements. While she was fully aware that the Crystal Empire was subservient to Equestria and found this arrangement to be beneficial for both, as Empress of her subjects she cared deeply for not only their well being, but treasured their sense of joy and pride. She knew there would be negotiation, but she hadn’t expected it to start so poorly for her.

Twilight for her part had found the deal quite beneficial for both sides. The northern territory proposed had only included a small number of settlers but cost a lot for the Empire to defend from stray caribou who refused to accept the end of the war, the pony tribes of the jungles and High Woods who bowed to nopony, and the various criminal clans and so-called ‘independents’ that ranged beyond. While by no means especially dangerous compared to other parts of the world, it was the most dangerous part of the continent. If the Sphinx Kingdom could rule the land it would bring further peace and prosperity to the continent.

Besides, it was a good way to see her family some more. She had arrived earlier and had a healthy breakfast with them, including getting quite the show with Flurry Heart and some magic. Now the Hall was ready for work, prepared for two(three) Princesses, one Sphinx, one Sphinx at heart, and a Prince (or none). 

The two were prepared in the Hall. Cadance, despite being the ruler of the Crystal Empire, sat at one of the long edges of the table while Twilight sat at its head. Maps and figures were arranged, and the table itself had a soft shimmer to it. Food and drink wad out for the guests, with appropriate seating for massive creatures of power and grace.

• Like 1

Lord Niilaavin of House Platinum. The lord title was one of raw formality with him being adopted into House Platinum. The later part mattered more. He was adopted into it some time ago, but only lately did he leverage that aspect more. He was, in a way, related to old royalty at least in name. And that did account for something with the nobles even if it was not by blood. And so he put everything on display for this trip. It's been months of work, and well over a year of flying and scouting lands so he prepared to strike his claim with detail and merit. He was after all taking territory from another… With paper and words. The idea was still strange to him but much was in this world now. Even with the passing of years plenty still struck him as strange with how things were done at times. 

But he adapted and still was. Still learning. Still growing. Both in his mind and in body. The years of steady food, work and moving has done him well. So well Lord Niilaavin of House Platnom can not fit inside a train. And so he was laying on a flat cart. One dressed up well for one of his titles, but a flat cart all the same. He’d fly to the north under any other trip. But this time he had a passenger that was determined to bring… Well, just about everything. And thanks to her his own servants felt the need to bring just about everything as well. And so here he was, laying on a padded flat cart watching the countryside pass by on a train loaded up with some small towns worth of servants and cargo. At least it was not boring. It was relaxing in all honesty and a welcome break from the week's worth of paperwork. 

-----

He arrived a few days early to prepare with Jizara and Blueblood. Along with his staff all put up housing he found most pleasing, even if some rooms were on the small side for his kind. But changing some grand hall into a bedroom for him was clever. And in that room he peaces, eyes looking at a map on a wall as his servants held makers and kept notes. He did not hope for much, yet his heart screamed for more. Anything to sink his claws into and scream his name to the sky. He needed land. He dreamed of it awake and in sleep. Some deep part of his soul demands he claim something. He had too. And this was the opening. Not some duel with fang and claw. But words, ink and a map… He wished it was fang and claw. This felt more intimidating.

----

Horns bellowed, three long drawn out blows with a sharp tone. He was walking down the hallway, his cape tailing behind as he walked. His gold earrings clacked together, his golden claws peeking out of the pad. He walked with a focused pace. His size makes his servants have to trot to keep peace with his strides. When he was found he was taller than Celestia. In the passing years that gap grew and grew. He was reaching his prime, his mane thick and body built. He had to duck his head down to inter the archway welcoming him to the grand Hall the meeting was to be held in. A pegasus mare with gray stormcloud like fur moved ahead of him to the side. Her voice echoed in the hall. “LORD NIILAAVIN OF HOUSE PLATINUM!” She stomped a back hoof three times, all his servants saying outside the hall did the same and echoed his name.  He did not train them to do that, North Wind did that all on her own as his staff's head-master.

As the sound died down he walked in and eyed up the table and where Twilight was seated. Then at Cadance. Some Empress. With one glance he knew the Princess held more power in this talk and would be the main target, Cadance second. North Wind shouted again. “LADY JIZARA!” Once again the three stomps sounded, each thundering of hooves followed her name as it was repeated just as many times. It male him swell with pride to hear that as much as his own name. That was his own request for them to treat her name with the same respect of his own. He gave a soft bow for Twilight and Cadance. “Princess Twilight Sparkle, Element of Magic and Princess of Friendship. Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, Empress of the Crystal Empire, Princess of Love.” With that he moved and took his seat atop a truly large pillow. He was pleased to sit atop something clearly made for something of his size. He was more pleased to see the just as big pillow next to him. It was almost comically large for Jizara but he knew she’d do just fine. 

North Wing spoke up again. “PRINCE BLUEBLOOD OF HOUSE PLATINUM, PRIMUS INTER PARES!” Once again the echoing thunder of three hoof strikes sounded alongside the name being echoed three times. Niil looked over to watch Blueblood enter the hall and take his seat. By paper work, they are legally siblings in a way. And as blood brothers by word go, he was pleased with blueblood. He’d spend a day retailing all the things that pony did to get him where he was now. He was kin, by name as much as niils own feeling of family. He looked back down the table, sitting pride in place at the other end of it looking head on to Twilight. He licked a fang, a nervous tick of his and felt a hoof jab his side and stopped. It was time for the game too began.

• Like 1

Jizara, formerly going by the name of Spoiled Rich, had been mostly quiet in the long train ride up to the Crystal Empire.  Partly because she was not comfortable in the open Northern air, and thus could not be with Niilaavin to converse upon the trip.  But in the main she was in a meditative mood, enough to shun the company of Prince Blueblood and even to be somewhat lighter than usual on the demands placed upon her servants.  Well, technically speaking House Platinum's servants, they weren't under her personal employ.  She hadn't learned until recently that the sphinx was officially adopted into the ancient Equestrian House, but it was oddly comforting, in a way.  New as her life and lifestyle would become, her old and almost forgotten ambitions of upward mobility in Equestrian High Society were reaching an unexpected fulfillment.

It was on those coming changes that she was meditating.  Up until now, nothing she had done was in any sense irreversible; her relationship with Niil could have been kept to a mere affair, a pleasant diversion from her life as a provincial official and local bigwig, still officially married with progeny.  Now, however... the lines she was crossing would be closed behind her.  She had a course she was committed to now, and there would be no going back afterward.  For the first time since leaving her family's dairy farm, the light-headed excitement and gut-wrenching fear associated with the word adventure suffused the mare.  And yet, once she'd boarded this train, a sense of calm and relief had overlain them both.  Having made the irreversible commitment, the great trial of her soul was completed.  What blessing or curses would follow required nothing from her, she would sit regal before the world, haughtily receiving its judgment.

It was in this attitude that mare strode into the Royal Hall of the Crystal Empire, giving the herald no further acknowledgement than of a mare of royal rank receiving her due.  Her aura of dignity was only briefly interrupted by the clamber up to the cushion for a creature much larger than her.  She could only be grateful that Niilaavin respected her enough not to carry her like a kitten to her seat, which she took with an almost feline attitude of recline; showing the soul of a sphinx in the body of an older mare.

As for Blueblood?  He came into the chamber as he had come on the train, surrounded by maps and papers suspended magically around him and carted by his secretary, dumping them in serendipitious order upon the table they all sat on, immediately filling a small plate with various sweetmeats.  "Ah, it's been a while, hasn't it Cadence?  I don't believe I've seen you since my wedding!  Shining and Flurry doing alright?  Pax took his first steps and flaps last month, you should really come to visit some time!"  He prattled in a facade of fatuousness second-nature to an experienced diplomat, aiming to put Cadence specifically at ease, as he had identified her as the most reluctant to agree to Niilaavin's demands.  Better butter her up, and no better way to do that than family!

• Like 2

Twilight had never been fully comfortable with the ceremonies that came with her title and position. In that way and manner she was more egalitarian than Rarity would ever be, or Cadance for that matter. Neither mare by nature thought themselves more deserving of such pomp and circumstance. For Twilight that had become a minor point of absurdity after her ascension to the throne as she often wandered Canterlot and Ponyville sans guards. Of course she was safe- safer even than those most easily assured of her safety could even fathom- but that didn't prevent ponies from considering her departure from Celestia's norms unusual. Give it time, say a few centuries, and those concerns would vanish.

Which is to say, Twilight didn't really care that every member of House Platinum- or their new name, to be revealed- were given what she would personally deem over the top entrances while Cadance and her were given quick, comparatively modest introductions. She knew at some level that Niilaavin looked at this as a competition and wanted some engagement at that level. A fight, a duel, a hunt. His kind was bred to dominate and control, if not in a malevolent manner than at the least in a superior manner. Twilight wasn't going to dissuade him from that feeling. Like the care of other big cats, it was important to allow their innate instincts to be satiated.

"Welcome, Lord Niilaavin. I hope you find these accommodations to your liking," Cadance said, hoping that she had proven a good host. For all the issues she did have with what had transpired, she had no desire to make her guests feel like their care and comfort had been neglected. The diet and care of a sphinx had been mostly left to guess work before Blueblood had bonded as he had with Niilaavin. Now they had to concern themselves mostly with his taste rather than his base concerns. 

In less stressful news, Blueblood was right to discuss family. “We have been doing very well up here in the cold, Blueblood. A little bit of warmth is always appreciated! I’m happy to hear Pax is getting their wings ready. I’d be more than happy to come by sometime- always happy to teach,” she said with a  soft smile. She knew she was being buttered up. Frankly, she didn’t mind nor did she care. Affairs were already beyond her; if she could catch up with family, extended or otherwise, all the better.

"I hope you will find this discussion beneficial, Lord Niilaavin. I'm eager to conduct it, myself," Twilight admitted. That much was no lie. Her position and presence disquieted her, but the prospect of change energized her. When you could peel back the layers of time, being able to see its ebbs and flows, recognizing when cycles began and end and knowing you were present during one the turns of it was exciting. "Blue, good to have you here. I hope you've given today's activities a lot of thoughts vis a vi House Platinum?"

Twilight allowed her mind to settle on Spoiled Rich as she entered and took her position. Twilight had allowed that mare to run Ponyville despite misgivings, honoring Ponyville’s right to choose. Now here she was, ready to throw away that responsibility, that privilege, the trust of that town, her family, her lineage, her previous hopes and dreams. She had so readily embraced a sphinx’s attitude towards power as she had fallen in with Niilaavin that Twilight’s concern about the ancient Sphinx’s personality imprinting and brain altering powers were set aside, because even in those stories those so changed did not embrace it so readily. 

So why was she content to agree to the move? Well, that would come later. “Lady Jizara, good. I see we are all here. Lord Niilaavin, you may begin,” Twilight said as her horn lit. Outside light bled away at the ages until they were left alone, even the attendants only verging into the light ever briefly. Blueblood’s maps and graphs were shored up by Twilight, who brought her own array of documentation, and Cadance, whose own magic whisked around the area and brought a secure warmth to them all.

• Like 1

Niilaavin watched things settle in and looked down at the food on offer. Most of it was pony fair, but they had meat on offer for him thankfully. Even a full hog. He leaned a paw over and popped a claw, slipping it under the pig and lifted. It hooked the roasted hog and lifted it up, dangling from the claw as he moved it over his plate and retracted his claw. He then picked up a tray of more pony-fitted food stuff and moved it over to where Jizara sat. About that time Cadance spoke up. “The room you gave me had ample space, I know it must have been hard to think of a room for me. But the refuted hall worked fine and I felt very comfortable. The bed made out of the assorted pillows was perfectly fine and comfortable. The cooks have treated me well and followed the help of my own staff.” He replied with a nod then leaned his head down and bit at the hog. Half of it disappeared behind teeth with a crunching of bone and rending of meat. He was not trying to be gross with the act and did lift a paw to help cover his muzzle. Doing that helped some ponies feel less… Disturbed. 

After swallowing down his bite he spoke some more. “Well spiced and cooked. also, speaking of the young. I hear you have your own litter of one? It seems many a litter are babbling about and leaves me thankful my den-mother is not here to haunt me about a lack of my own. It seems that is a constant between species… We all have that one mother asking where her next litter is.” He cuffed and chuckled at the joke for a moment. With everyone settling in it seemed the meeting was picking up to the matter at paw. He was thankful for it, he did not know how long he’d play along with the pleasantry. His ears twitch at the rush of magic and watched everything move about. “We may start, thank you Princess Twilight. I shall use some of my own magic, it shall be used to help show you details and not alter your thinking. You may test for such as often as you wish. I will not be upset.” He says looking over them with a cat's smile.

With that he reared up and clapped his front paws together, it was a booming sound that was hard to not focus on. And that was his trick as his magic sank claws into perception and dug. Then he slammed a paw down… not on a table. But the north tundra. All of them sat akin too god-like giants looking down over the sky view of the lands. Built up from his own memories flying over the north. He cuffed, smiling at his own work. Clouds moved, rivers flowed and trees moved in the winds. He aimed a claw at the Webwing mountains, then down south to The Knightheads. And last he aimed a claw east, where they can see the glimmer of the city in the horizon this far up. “This is the northern plains and the north-eastern Great Leota. We are sitting about in the middle of it all.” He aimed his paw down and tapped a claw on a river down the plains and into the forest. "This will mark my eastern most border. I can’t find documents about the name, but it is well marked on the maps and can be seen by air. It is a major river that flows south from ice-melt in the far north. It flows down into the planes. North-words, it forks with one river flowing back north and into the north sea. Another river, this one I believe to be the origin point of the Corusca river flows out of the Great Leota and east on-wards to your wonderful city Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.” He tapped a claw and pulled it along the length of that river within the old woods and stopped before it left into planes. “This will be my southern border at its smallest. I wish to have them pushed more south onto the Knightheads.”

He looked up from the world under paw and inspected the onlooking ponies. “Part of this land is owned by Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, as you well know. Westwords the land is officially under Equestria ownership, but that is not enforced. The Great Leota has no real enforcement of law, or even falls under the mail system. Let alone taxing. With the Western most half of the woods being owned by Aquella… That acts as a hard border stop for me, at least for now. Some giffins are willing to sell me the land. At least, willing to tell me they will. Rather or not the… government will is another story. So my focus rests in your hooves. This land is largely ungoverned and breeds crime, danger and hides threats to both of you. Having a government seated in the north will help unite and make it safer for all of us.” He swished his tail side to side for a moment, then looked over at Blueblood. “Prince Blueblood, may you bring forth offers of payment for the land from Princess Mi Amore Cadenza?” He sat down, just glad to let other talk. He was not the most diplomatic of sorts and all this was just... Well, he wished he can just pop claws and go at it. That was more easy to understand disputed borders.

"Why thank you!  I know you're Equestria's champion foalsitter, though I should hardly like to impose."  While outside flight training wasn't strickly necessary, given that he already had two Pegasi in his household, Cadence did have other skills to bring to bear in such a matter.  He took a bite out of a small sandwhich to give himself a little time to think before answering Twilight's question.  

"  
"Well, as you've no doubt deduced from the herald, no small amount of my house's future is invested in this project."  If sufficiently successful, the Prince was considering going all-in, but now was not the time to tip his hoof in that respect.  Not just because of the diplomatic degrees of freedom he'd sacrifice; he also had to secure permission from both his wives for that part of the plan.  Not the easiest of tasks.  He was, in fact, surprised that Spoiled Rich- rather, Jizara had agreed so readily.  Niilaavin just had that much charm, he supposed... or else she must have been much more unhappy than she'd been letting on.

The mare herself had just given a smiling, "Thank you."  To the sphinx, as she took her tray of little delights, daintily taking a bite from a macaron.  Her inputs didn't seem called for at this point in the proceedings, but she had accompanied Niilaavin during his initial land surveys, and so could act as a witness to any discussion of the land if necessary.

Blueblood, meanwhile, was passing more formal survey maps and calculations of acreage over towards the two princesses, while his secretary brought out some calculation tables from a manila folder.  Once Niil finished the land summary, Blueblood cleared his throat.  "Ahem...  Given that the land is still classed as frontier, it is difficult to give a market value estimation.  The standard homestead calculation is 50% bare land value of the settled margin, but given the high latitude, weather patterns, and security risks of border incursions and caribou raids, the hazard discount would, frankly, make the per-acre compensation minimal."  Something like 5/8 a bit per, if Cadence would do a quick check of the math.  "Cash on the nail, though; it will be some time before a functional tax base is built, and even then the economy is likely to be barter and in-kind exchange, at least locally."  It was a lowball opening offer, Blueblood knew, but what exactly they would need to concede for the Crystal Empire to keep face at the negotiation table wasn't something he knew for sure.  Cady's counter-offer would be likely to tell him.

• Like 1

Twilight and Cadance looked at the offer. Twilight already knew it, and she rather enjoyed the display that Niilaavin applied to the proceedings. Twilight could feel the snow and cold, though she knew at that very moment there was an unseasonable warm front passing through. That would eventually meet another weather front that would prove difficult for the Empire to manage as it passed over the city, but Cadance relished the challenge. Her love of weather control knew few limits.

Twilight allowed the initial round to end before she nodded. “I would be wary of any Griffonian claim to land in the Great Leota. Most- not all, but most- such claims come from a specific document,” Twilight said as she popped an ancient scroll into being, as well as the more boring pieces of work that actually brought it into motion. “King Guto I of Griffonstone ‘received land and property’ as a wedding gift from King Stonebreaker of the Clain Stonehoof in the Great Leota. Of course, King Stonebreaker owned no such land and used it an effort to get Griffonstone to go to war against his western Leotan enemies when Celestia refused to accept his own claim to their lands. Many Griffons claim ownership based on this deal and it has been the source of many congriffon’s fortunes. The lands you have requested so far exist solely in the domain of Equestria and the Crystal Empire, legally speaking.”

It was time for Cadance to join. “The area is not densely populated, but there are indeed citizens of my Empire there that I protect and pay taxes for that protection and care. Fairflanks is the largest single settlement. Last census puts the population at the very low hundreds- certainly nothing worthy of being on a map, but someplace I care for.  It is a collection of a few farms built around a single Crystal Keep, like many frontier towns. The second largest settlement is Crystal Caverns, where the Webwings curl and the River forks east. A small mining settlement of only a few families, they’ve kept to themselves since before the banishment. Not unkind, just...prickly. Fort Trottderdale is located in the far north of your claim, in the Frozen Swamp near the bay. It is a single large abandoned fort home to several dozen ponies. Beyond that, the land you are desiring from the Empire is populated by some hardy settlers and families. According to what figures I have at present, that would come out to over eleven hundred Crystal Empire citizens,” Cadance said as her magic hovered around the map, marking the settlements.

“As for your initial offer, there are other factors at play. The mining settlement in the Webwing is the second highest performing per capita of all mines in the Empire outside of the City Herself,” she said as she lifted several documents over to Prince Blueblood. “Crystal Caverns itself would be worth nearly a full bit for the whole acreage of this Kingdom. Fort Trotterdale already has a built and established port, even if it needs to be repaired and staffed appropriately. One point five bits an acre is the starting point. More importantly, you’re asking for me to ask the citizens of my Empire to accept a chunk of their historic land being sold off. I will work on that myself, but payment for that will need to be part of any financial deal,” Cadance finished.

She was being polite and warm still but there was an underlying sense that came through easily that she was upset at the whole ordeal from the standpoint of the Crystal Princess. The Empire had been asked to swallow many indignities and while she more than understood the need to establish a Kingdom for the Sphinx, the need to bring them back, and she was pleased to help the breed return, it was still tough to stomach the loss she was asking her citizens to take.

“Nonetheless, I find most of your claims agreeable in large. A few points of discussion. The pony tribes of The Great Leota bow to nopony and I doubt they will bow to you. However, the tribal leaders have recently renewed their vows of friendship with Equestria, their vows of friendship to me. I have little doubt that they would operate peacefully in your new kingdom, should I know how you plan on dealing with them. I also require you to be aware of changes I have made to Tartarus, since it lies within your claim,” Twilight continued. She lifted a wing and Tartarus was shown- it now lacked any entrances or exits, and the mountain hummed slightly with baleful energies. “There exists now no entrance or exit, and I have the whole mountain under a powerful spell that causes confusion, weakness, and illness to all that approach. Be cautious near there.”

She took a drink.
“Beyond the tribesponies, a few relatively standard questions. How do you plan on running this new nation of yours, Lord Niilaviin?” She asked. “This goes as well for you, Lady Jizara. If this truly is your last day as a subject of mine and the first as Queen of another, I would ask that you answer as well.”

• Like 1

A deep, rolling snort came from Niilaavin at the remarks on the griffin aspect. But it opened a door for him he found intriguing as he looked west deeper into the Great Leota. Maybe he can push his borders more west? Well the deep woods of the forest will be hard to tame and take long years… It was a land much warmer than most around it. Some clearing and land management… And it can be his bread basket. Something too consider and keep close to paw as the talks go then. Such was his draw to more land he almost blanked out on what Cadance was saying. He shifted his gaze to her. He almost scoffed that she took note of Fort Trottderdale, he was planning on founding a new port city and believed that fort was all but ruins home to bandits. It was a small blessing he did clear them out like he did some other bandit dens. The more shocking news was this ‘Crystal Caverns’ mining settlement. He pawed at the living map underneath them and with a flick of his paw, made the land rush north until it overlooked the spot. 

He leaned his head down, staring at the spot as he raked his mind… And found nothing. Just valleys, woods and tundra. He never saw the town with his overhead passes of the land. He’s not been this far north much, he must admit. He licked a fang. He wished he could just bite down on her… He let out a breath. “My kingdom will be poor already for some time and the steeper the opening payment, the worse it will be for some decades.” He remarked, sitting up as he looked over at Cadance and away from the missing mining town from his map. “But I was aware we’d need counter offers to help us both, and your subjects. So I give you this with any officer. Friendship between realms, in trade and arms, for so long as I draw breath. So long as I live we will come to your aid with whatever we have. The stronger my realm becomes, the stronger a friend you have on your western border. My army will head any call, or need, you ask. Be it helping rebuild from disaster, or marching side by side to toss off threats that wish to harm what you so love. That is a gift born in time. We both know it will take long years before I uphold it with any worth. Before will come trade. Your traders will have priority on purchasing goods and selling within my lands. Not hegemony, just priority. And along with that, I know the love you hold for your subjects and the wish to see them treated well in my kingdom as it takes claws to land. For such, I offer this. Four three decades you may appoint three overseers.”

“Fairflanks, Crystal Caverns and Fort Trottderdale will be under the overseers and anything I do within the boundaries of their ownership will need the blessing of the overseers. Without their blessing, I will not act within the limits of the settlements. That will give them time to warm up to the change and feel safe. And give me time to better learn the needs and wants of your subjects underneath my care. When the three decades pass, and only then, will I ask them to bow to me and officially know me as their Tyr and them as my subjects. This gives them time as well, to leave and move into your lands if they so wish. All of this is tied into my officer with no demands given for them. It is, as it is. I hope this makes the burden of entrusting me with your subjects less heavy.” He smiled, doing his best to not flash too much fang in it. He hoped she knew he was being honest and truthful in his wants. He wanted to be loved, as much as her subjects loved her. He wanted to be worshiped out of real love, not fear. A Tyr they all saw fly overhead and felt warmth for. That is one thing he learned well from pony leadership. A land that truly loves you, will do so much to keep you in charge. 

He then moved his gaze onto Twilight before shifting it back to the Great Leota. He flicked his paw and moved the map to look down over the vast woodlands, that at the heart even held a jungle of all things. Magic? Or some other force? He did not know. He’s seen the tribes and even spoke with a few of them… Some even worshiped some… Cat-like thing. He hated that thing with every fiber of his soul. How dare anything claim god-hood with such a cursed body? It was disgusting and he was going to crush every last scrap of that thing from his lands. The All-Mother made the world and her children perfect. He licked his fangs again and looked back at Twilight, snapping himself out of his thinking. “I am more used to dealing with tribes than his modern life. Five years ago from my view, I lived in a time when… ‘tribes’ as you call them were how all your kind lived outside a few cities. Cities were the odd ones out, now it is the other way.” He remarked with a cuffing sound. “I will demand they bow. I will be truthful. But bow in the way my kind did in old times. They know me as Tyr and give me tithes, and they go about as they see fit. I will not move them… Or ‘permit’ them to live on only selected land as if it's some gift. The woods they call home are deep, unmapped and full of danger. It will be a long time before I can even think of really settling it in a meaningful way. So it is wise to use that time to build deeper links and with small steps lead them closer to being fully part of my realm. My kind is long lived, I can let them grow used to changes over decades without fuss.” He added, moving onto the next topic. 

He let out a mused huff as Twilight took command of his magic map, moving it to show Tartarus. “I am glad you speak of it. I was planning to bring it up as well as a joint overship. I know it holds many dangers to us all, and all can stand to keep it sealed. It seems you were one step ahead. Still I speak my mind. The lands around it will be off limits, and owned by all three of us. A joint ownership to keep it guarded and sealed. Safer as it seems now, I am not one to rest on my hunches with such. I feel it helps us all, for all to keep a paw and hoof aware of it together. Three sets of eyes, ears and power to keep it as is… Sealed, forever. I hope none of you will object to such an idea.” 

With that out of the way he mused on the next topic. “My title will be Tyr, in pony speech it… It means ‘Lord of all dens, master of all under wing.’ or something along the line. My speech does not translate easily at times. A more blunt translation is ‘Emperor’, it was a title given to leaders of my kind's past. Even when I walked, none held it. A sphinx that did not just bite, claw and kill for some scraps of land. But a sphinx that led many dens and even had other males fly under wing. It is a title from a lost age, when the world was given to us. A time we lost, by our own blinded egos. I wish to use it to mark a new age. One where my kind put aside are faults and learn so the realm of the Tyr may unite us once again. Such as the den of the All-Mother, may it nurse us back from nothingness.” He smiled, eyes looking into nothing as he dreamed of such a time. Dens, kittens and taking wing with a dozen of his kind following. The All-Mother may return and purr her blessing seeing her children learn from their mistakes. But he pulled his eyes back to focus on Twilight. 

“But I know you asked for more than just that. It will be an absolute monarchy that is not open to be discussed. I have seen how some places go about things and find it lacking. I will not have my lands waste years bickering over pretty pointless drivel. My word will be final and absolute. I will bring back the teaching of the All-mother as well. It will be the faith of my land, but it will not be forced onto my subjects. How they pray in their den is up to them… Speaking of den, I will place sphinx views of family and kinship, on how the social system works. Den, Clutter, territory and the Tyr atop all. A Den is the smallest unit. Dens make up a clutter and clutters make a territory.  A den is family, all united onto one. All the den works together and there is no shame in keeping to the den. A kitten may grow, and stay, helping the den grow without leaving to start his own. The needless removal of males… Even females at times. It doomed us. We must work together, and my subjects will do the same. I see so much…Individuality that hurts more than helps. The apple clan is a marvel of unity and kinship… But I am off topic. I ask that my ponies bow to me, and know me as Tyr. I will lead them. I will bleed for them. I will lend claws and fangs to defend them. And I ask that bow and give unto me the means to run the kingdom. I will not sit on some throne, hoping problems will fix themselves. They will see my fly overhead. They will see me first into the fires. And we will rise, or fall, as one grand den. That is how I will learn from the past.” With that done he sat down, he did not even notice in the moment he got up and flared his wings. He cuffed gently and looked down at Jizara. He felt tired from this. All this talking. Speaking. Thinking about his words. His eyes begged her to take the lead for a moment.

Sometimes the epitome of diplomacy is knowing when to let other people talk.  Cadence's requests were best answered by Niilaavin, and the offer seemed fair enough from his perspective.  Probably to be better received than his own idea, which was to supplement the purchase money with a regular stipend from Equestria's Evironmental Restoration Fund for Endangered Species; that might be considered a little demeaning.  Surprisingly, even Jizara had something to add to the table once Niil finished talking about allowing overseers: "Also, local labor gets first bidding rights and preference, regardless of oversight status.  Early wealth that stays local will have an exponential impact going forward... I don't suppose there's any guilds or unions currently chartered there?  We will respect all current charters, the last thing we need is a strike, lockout, or any class strife at this critical juncture."

To what extent institutional structures imported from Equestria would be able to fit in to the den heirarchy outlined by Niil was as yet an unknown factor, but these developments and compromises were things that would have to be hashed out by those who actually had to live with the results.  Blueblood wasn't yet in a position to opine on domestic arrangements, but he could offer a word or two on foreign relations.  "Put the western border as a dotted line for now; Aquellia's claim may be tenuous, but there's always a faction willing to push thin claims to break political logjams in the Republic, and they've been stuck in a large one for a while.  You have no one lobbying on your behalf in Talonopolis at the moment, and until you have either a robust diplomatic corps or local fighting force, preferably both, tactful silence on the subject would be adviseable.  As for the tribes..."  He ruffled through his papers, before his very efficient secretary presented him with the needed document, "Ah, yes, we do actually have some information you may find relevant.  As you may know, there are different kinds of tribes, with varying levels of centralization and settlement.  The Tenochtitlan Basin, which you border, really ought to be considered civilized, in my opinion; there are cities in there, and many of the Leota tribes pay tribute to them currently.  Which means they're likely to take a more active interest in a potential power rival early... or partner.  I would recommend opening talks with... oh dear I hope pronounce this right... Cemmoyāhua?  She's the closest I've found to a diplomatic counterpart there; and most amenable to opening up talks and trade."

• Like 1

The discussion grew rapidly. It was clear to Twilight that Niilaavin had relied perhaps too heavily on the grandeur and scope of his desired empire but had not done a truly deep dive. This was no sin; she was guilty of the same mistake in the past any number of occasions. Having power and knowing what to do with it, or how to use it properly, were very different propositions and one she knew came with experience. 

Of course, she knew his nation would have issues to start with. She did not really consider the claims to state poverty to be fully compelling, however. The area he had selected was inured against the degradation of poverty by the very nature of how it operated. They were a self-sufficient people who provided for themselves readily enough that the only creatures that would feel the sting would by Niilaavin and Jizara, and even then she was very confident that any such issues would be resolved swiftly.

“The settlements that will now exist in your domain are on their own already self-sufficient. Your kingdom has no reason to not immediately benefit from the Crystal Caverns, while Fairflanks provides a basis for food security that will benefit your subjects tremendously. One point five bits an acre is still low; in a normal situation when factoring for the blow to Crystal pride, I would argue four point two bits per acre is an appropriate offer, one that could be easily paid in installments,” Twilight offered, offering up multiple documents detailing the financial boons of the land. Almost too much, frankly.

“Thankfully,” Cadance jumped in quickly, saving the big cat from a lifetime of reading and data analysis, “this is not a normal situation, and I am not expecting a fully monetary compensation. One point five bits is still the lowest amount I am willing to discuss. Your offer of alliance and preferential trade is accepted as part of the overall package. However, I will decline the offer of overseers appointed by me,” she smiled. “While I appreciate the thought behind it, if you truly are going to lead a nation you can’t have another leader effectively running or interfering in- even with the best of intentions- your largest or most profitable settlements as your nation begins. A period of transition that would allow my subjects the choice to leave would be appreciated, but overseers would not be required,” Cadance ended gently, herself trying to come to terms with it.

It was hard to imagine a Crystal Subject desiring to stay under the rule of a Sphinx, but she also reminded herself that the creatures of the claimed territory were a strange lot who rejected normal society by and large. It would be intriguing to see who decided to stay and who decided to leave, and even better, who decided to immigrate there.

Twilight focused more on how he described his relations with the tribal ponies and how he decided to rule his land. It was not unexpected. Sphinx had only ever ruled in this manner and as much as time changed things, you needed a species to exist for that change to happen. Niilaavin would play an important in saving his species and helping it form the basis for a better future, but expecting their societal or governmental attitudes to change was naïve at this stage. Give it ten thousand years of contact. Twilight would document it every step of the way.

“I see. They will likely appreciate that more than most. The Basin tribes, as noted,” she nodded to Blueblood, “are more civilized than those of the Leota. You will find good relations with them as Tyr easy. Cemmoyāhua would make a fine pony to negotiate with in order to establish good relations.. Joint guardianship of Tartarus between Equestria and the domains of the Tyr would be agreeable. You may run the entirety of the external area, as guardian and owner. I will handle Tartarus itself. Outside of the baleful magic emanating from it, I hope you never have to involve yourself in Tartarus,” she said, nodding solemnly. Indeed, she didn’t imagine many creatures could even stand to exist in Tartarus for long so it seemed unlikely anycreature from the outside would need to.

Cadance for her part nodded towards the honorary-sphinx-soon-to-be-real-sphinx. “There are no formal guilds in the area. But the families who run Crystal Caves have been in charge for eons. Every last pony there is the an expert in their field,” she said, giving Jizara documents detailing the blow by blow financial details of the Caverns.

Twilight allowed the discussion to settle a moment.
“Where we sit at this juncture is this: In exchange for the land as claimed by Tyr Niilaavin, the Joint Commission for the Establishing of the Kingdom of Hyatria will pay an amount over one point five bits per claimed acre to the Crystal Empire, plus preferential trading with the Crystal Empire and a formal military alliance. Tartarus will be jointly administered by Equestria and the Hytaria. This deal has not yet been finalized as final financial compensation has not been entirely agreed upon, but this should summarize where we are.“

• Like 1

Niilaavin was many things and in many ways can boast power and skills better than the lesser ones. But in one aspect he fully admits full defeat. Accounting. He struggled following math and numbers used in this day and age and often found it all just flowing together into one big mess within his head. It made his head spin and even with the help of servants found himself hopelessly lost. But that is what a chancellor was for, a task Blue was helpful in partly filling but a seat he will need a more proper filling in soon… Or, as it felt, now. He blinked at the mass of papers being waved at him in magic, before letting them fall onto an open paw… He gently put them down next to Jizara and hoped it would not seem rude. He was not discarding them, just putting them to the side. He licked a fang and did his best to refocus on the ongoing diplomatic work. It seems the monetary aspect was not going too move, a shame as the cost did make him wince some. Regardless of how ‘self-sufficient’ his new subjects will be he’d need income to fond work in a remote, hard land. All of that will cost some hefty gold. Let alone pay for his own needs. Even if lives as minimalist as he can… He was a Spinx and his food costs were jaw-dropping to most. He’d have to make full use of the land and wild game to cut that down. 

Despite his hopes it seems he’d be living rather… Wild for a time. That was acceptable. About 8 years ago from his view of time, he was living in the wild even. Before he was enslaved by that mage. He did worry about Jizara and her needs. She had no skills in such and was just a pony. He’d need to work hard to provide her a safe den in such wild lands. Even if he put her up in a town… She’d be a stranger. It made him fret. But she seems willing to see this to the end with him. He just hoped that fire lasted when it found its first winter in whatever housing he got her. He focused himself onto Cadance and her reply to his officer. He was somewhat taken back by her dismissing the use of overseers to keep an eye on her subjects under his care. But she did seem to want some safety for them. “Very well, we shall scrap the use of overseers on your behalf. But I will keep three decades for all your subjects to integrate, or leave. We can meet half-way and have them seen you as your subjects, and mine, for that time. And leave it up to them when the time runs out where they wish to be. When that time's over they will swear oaths onto my claws or depart. Three decades is a very long time for them to decide such and I hope it makes you feel at peace for them. If they wish to leave, they may take all they have down to the very house if they so want and have all that time to do so.” He was happy to have full command of the towns he admitted to himself.

Even if he ‘shared’ them as subjects, that held small meaning if the land and town was his. At most it just means if one commits a crime he’d have to tell her about it before punishment. A small detail and one that does not hinder him. But the next part of the topic from Twilight made him ponder for a moment as he looked back at the map. The Tenochtitlan Basin was a place he did consider making a claim on as well before thinking from a more pony view. He can fly over all the land easily. Not all can do that and mass movement of goods will be limited to land, mostly wagons, until he can get rail going. The Tenochtitlan Basin was just too remote from where he wanted his capital. And it seemed that restraint had some use as they viewed them as a regional power to conduct himself with. Noted. But looking at it did make his brain wonder. And a playful idea popped into his mind. He pulled the map north, popped a claw then drew along the land. As he did it left a glowing trail to mark out a border, as he did this he spoke. “What country claims the land east of the Sea of Ruin? South belongs to the Tenochtitlan, west… Was held by the hide-changers. But they largely gone now, outside of some new nest? I must admit I have not followed the developments of the hide-changers all too much. Just that some of them are…” He licked a fang, words failing him a moment. “Trust-able. But that does not matter. The eastern Sea of Ruin, Crystal Caves sits very close. Do you own the land all the way up to that inland sea Princess Mi Amore Cadenza?” He asked, looking over at her, then at Twilight. “The summarizing feels just and accurate to the matters so far.” He added.

Spoiled took hold of the documents as if they were always meant for her.  They might well have been; it would be a while before she could contribute materially to a hunt, but the mare of business and local politics was in her native habitat here.  "Dynastic family business?  Well, you could say that I have a bit of experience in dealith with that sort."  Growing apples, mining crystals, same difference at the end of the day.  Ten to one they were mostly earth ponies getting their hooves dirty in production, as was common, but likely not insensitive to visions of grandeur.  Some overtures of everything that could be if they were willing to support it would do the trick, she fancied.  "That shouldn't be a problem at all."

The other side of the equation was being handled by Blueblood.  He couldn't say that the counter-offer was unfair, though knowing that every bit that went into purchasing the land was a bit that couldn't be used to develop it weighed on him.  "Well, as long as Twilight is willing to authorize the funds, I think that's a fair offer.  What is the state of the infrastructure?  If we're going to use the existing settlements as seedbeds, are they all connected by any kind of road or rail?  That will likely have to be funded by outside investment, at the very least."  That left open the question of where Niil planned to put his eventual capital, though Blueblood suspected that he'd conduct a peripatetic court for the first decade or two.  A peripatetic den, however, was a trickier proposition.  Try telling a pregnant or nursing mare to go nomadic, and see where that gets you!

• Like 1

Cadance pondered the offer briefly before shaking her head politely.
“Three decades is generous- indeed, overly so. One year is all I ask for and can accept. It will do neither of our nations any good to have these regions living under nebulous, questionable loyalties and conditions for such time. These are your subjects upon our agreement today; whether they choose to remain so or not is up to them,” Cadance replied, shockingly so. Of course, it was not entirely of her own making. Her discussion had made clear that the ruler of Equestria intended for these changes to be handled as cleanly as possible. The temporary pain, while sharp, was better suffered now rather than allowing gnawing, concussive pains to batter away at them alike.

It was then that the sphinx brought up an area known as the badlands, a part of which he made clear. She shook her head. “I have no claim there. Princess Amethyst was given a castle in the region as a dowry during her tryst with Prince Bradford of Yakyakistan, but I think it fell into the river long before the time of Sombra. Twilight, who owns that land?” Cadance turned to Twilight. She knew the borders of her Kingdom well, but Twilight had made clear that on issues involving the Changelings she was to be the point mare in these discussions. It was delicate, involving such two unique species.

“That territory is currently claimed by the Changeling Kingdom, though it has no official settlers from any nation at the moment. I know Thorax had planned a series of settlements after the Changeling Breeding Program finishes in the next couple of moons, and that area featured heavily. It also exists near Yakyakistan and they have ancient claims  up to the river, but they didn’t object to Thorax’s claims. I am sure that you could discuss it further with them. As for what exists there currently, scattered caribou, yaks, changelings, some independent equine and griffons- by my last count, less than  a hundred creatures in total, including the changelings disguised as flies spying in the region that Thorax thought he could hide from me,” Twilight smirked. “I am sure that you could strike a deal with them. Thorax is an easy partner and Prince Rutherford, once you understand how Yaks operate, is surprisingly amiable.”

As Blueblood discussed the infrastructure, Cadance offered a few pages of assessments. “Crystal Caverns has its own mining operations that are well established. The Webwing Path cuts along the mountains from Crystal Caverns to Fairflanks, and Fairflanks has a road that leads into the Empire. The Webwing Path is certainly...maintained,” her ears drooped, “it is usable, they make sure of it, but outside of it being usable I wouldn’t say it is any good. They have cared only for base utility, not comfort or making sure all of it is to the same standard. Nonetheless, it certainly is better than nothing. Fairflanks itself is as well-developed as any farming settlement of its type could be. We found no infrastructure concerns in the area and believe that it could grow in population considerably before native infrastructure proved inadequate. For Trottderdale’s ‘port’ is in working condition, if shabby and in need of better maintenance. The castle itself, however, remains near immaculate,” Cadance said as she started making her own marks on the map.

“As a gesture of good will, I will submit to you the plans my Corp of engineers have recent finalized for improvements to the Path. Not only would it ease transportation in the mountains, but we have even earmarked locations to be investigated for mining and settlement. I think you will find that this will save you tremendous time and treasure having to establish the necessity of these needs. Moreover, I am willing to lend the Crystal Corp of Engineers and Development to Hytaria for the purposes of this mission. In exchange for this aid- which will save you by my estimation nothing short of twenty years of work if everything went right for you without it- my asking price to complete this deal will stand now at two point seven bits per acre.”

Twilight nodded. “While I am sure you may be concerned for your immediate financial stakes, I am certain you are aware that with such strong economic partners and with such good relations any fear you have of economic hardship will be short lived. And for those of us here, comically so. Do we have any issues with this agreement so far?” 

• Like 1

Niilaavin was disappointed too learn that the plot of land was so conflicted with claims, he personally only wanted it for hunting ground. It was rich in game come spring and summer. But it was not worth fussing over here. Maybe he can work out a deal with the Yaks? He’d rather them own it then the hide-changers… Even thinking of them running some… ‘breeding program’ made him feel sick and distressed. A buffer between his lands and them will be a good thing. He shifted uneasily, doing his best to relax before he worked himself up over that detail and focused his mind on the offer with Cadance. Yet again she turned it down and backed something weaker. Some Empire. Was she really just a doormat for Twilight? Maybe some years from now he’d need too reach out to her more when his own land was more developed and strong. Maybe together they’d claw more independence from the south. But that was a passing dream for another time. 

“If you so wish, they shall be seen and known as subjects whenever we all come too an agreement. But for one year they do what they must, be taking all home and hearth so wished, to leave for your lands without worry.” He says back, giving her a soft bow of the head in understanding. The talks moved with the help of Blueblood and even Jizara. He was happy she took up some documents and even seemed interested in it. Not that she believed she lacked the skill, she did. Just she was under no pressure to help with this at all. She was invited to watch anything past that was up to her. And so a tail curled to gently brush at her in thanks as he did his best to follow the topic. Infrastructure, roads, operations and other terms tossed about like kittens playing with a fresh kill. And then a new price was dropped onto his paws like some bolder. 

TWO SEVEN!?” His voice boomed, rattling the room with its force as he snapped a glare at the two mares. He pulled in a breath. “No. Two is all I will go. I will take the gesture of good and take the plans, maps I take? Of the paths. I will not take on this ‘corp of engineers’ to help if it will just bleed me dry. I’d sooner spend a decade to rip the trees out of the land myself then bleed my funds more. I was born into a cave. I lived on the meat of hunts. I drank from rivers that came and went with the rains. I knew no roads, no town, no city and slept under the stars with a bed of sand, rock or grass.” He thumped his tail on the floor, taking a moment to gather himself. “You say I need not fear economic hardship, I have strong powers next to me. I do, but at what cost?” He glanced at Cadance for a moment with a harder glare before focusing more on Twilight. “I do not care if I live in a cave as I work alongside my subjects to make this land ARE land. I will house Jizara inside of the Crystal City every winter if that is what it takes as I make a den with my own paws. So yes, I find issues with this. The land is self sufficient is it not? The towns are content to live as they have, without help? They will live years yet as we grow together, me and them, and make this land our own. Not indebted to outsiders, not bowing to another.” 

The large cat let out a deep, rumbling breath as he rubbed a paw on his muzzle. “Let us step back to the last offering. One five for the acre, preference of trade and military alliance. I am content with the terms of such. Oh, and Tartarus being owned by myself, and Princess Twilight Sparkle together in guardianship.” With that he lays down, reaching out with a paw to gently lay it over Jizara’s back for his own comfort. This was all so very taxing on his mind, as if his own soul and mind were in conflict. All of this was not… What his soul wanted him to do. But it is what his mind knew he must. He must play by the ways of this land and this age. As confounding as they were. When he had his own land. Then he can make his own blasted books and codes. And that gave him some comfort, almost as much as Jizara relaxed his loneliness in this strange world.

Blueblood wished that the discussion would switch to total numbers rather than per-acre costs, as it was getting a little more difficult to do the math in his head to calculate the absolute number of bits that would be required by the new prices.  Hence, his silent pause during a rather inopportune time, Niil's instincts running ahead of him with an outburst on the pricing.  He winced at the hearing of it, offering a softer voiced, "Do consider, Cadence, that total increase does rather exceed the average government contract, especially considering there's no rebid."  He hadn't actually finished doing the math, so he couldn't state that with confidence, but it was a more face-saving way to back down from the insistence.

Jizara herself couldn't exactly say she was... pleased at her prospective new mate's outburst.  "A high upfront investment on our part is not exactly objectionable, as long as we reap the whole of the dividends."  She pointed out, in a tone of voice that was gently chiding, even as she was stroked.  "That said, what we can do with the labor at our disposal is a discount upon our capital outlay.  Now, if prospective subjects wish to bring in their own capital under, say, generous allowances for entrepreneurship, we shall open ourselves to them.  At this time, we'll keep what remains after the land purchase in reserve for an open bid on any development project."

Sighing a bit in relief, Blueblood flashed Jizara a smile in gratitude for smoothing over the troubled waters.  "So be it; we'll leave local industry to local administration and the Tyr's adjudication.  It's probably for the best that any potential friend and future comrade in arms be able to stand on their own paws, as it were?"

• Like 1

Cadance, for her part, seemed undaunted by the outburst. “I am not bleeding you dry. I am saving you time and money, and helping you become a powerful Tyr worthy of the attentions of wealthy immigrants. You say you can do the work yourself, but even if you never slept and worked with precision and power in the mountains, the time it would take for you to finish the job would see the potential loss of profits from the mines and the prospective other financial opportunities in the mountains supersede the up-front investment costs in deploying my Crystal Corps,” she finished before nodding towards Twilight.

“In that scenario, it would be the equivalent of having paid four point one bits an acre in the best case scenario, or five point five bits if things go poorly. Cadance’s plan, so generously conceived, saves you one point four to two point eight bits an acre. As for the dividends, these will be your lands, and so you will benefit both in the immediacy and in time from the work of the Crystal Corp,” she looked back expectantly at Cadance.

“Yes, they will be. You will reap the rewards of not only your own immigration policies and internal economic model,” Cadance recited that bit as if she had to memorize it in front of as mirror, “but also the work that my Crystal Corp has done in identifying places of potential wealth and settlement, identifying the necessary work to repair the Path, and then the highly skilled labor in a uniquely challenging environment required to see the work done. I challenge you to find a competing contract at that scale, in that environment, requiring that much skill, investment, and experience, whether it be private enterprise or government, for anywhere near the cost I am offering,” she finished. For the first time, Cadance felt herself putting her hoof down. It was one thing to decline an offer, but it was infuriating to have an offer developed with such absurd levels of support and leniency baked into it shot back at her with such claims.

She should be asking for more, frankly. She was being humiliated in small ways the entire time. Her land was being taken, her subjects taken from her (though she expected many to choose to return to her). Her relations with the powers of the west being changed, weakened. Her subjects, only so recently freed from the shackles of slavery and the sleep of a thousand years, being forced to accept the national shame of a nation being carved out of it randomly. It was Twilight's work the previous few days that had seen her be brought into a broad agreement. She was doing everything in her power to be more than simply fair, but supportive of the new nation. The sphinx not recognizing the remarkable kindness and generosity on display was...where was Shining? She needed to see him.

“If you do not wish to avail yourself of the full offer Tyr Niilaviin, then that is your prerogative. But it is untrue to claim financial hardship or foreign debt as the primary cause of the decline when it is indeed an offer designed to save you financially and help increase your economic independence faster and in a more secure manner. Military alliance and preferential trade relations between the Kingdom of Hyatria and the Crystal Empire plus one point five bits an acre being transferred to the Crystal Empire is the base offer. The Crystal Empire will as a gesture of good will give the Kingdom of Hyatria the Crystal Corp of Engineers in-depth work on the region. For an extremely generous additional one point two bits an acre, the Crystal Empire will allow the use of the Crystal Corp of Engineers to be deployed in the national borders of Hytaria to work on the plan as developed by them for the Path,” Twilight stated, the terms of the offers being written in large.

"As a further demonstration of my willingness to work with Hyatria, I am willing to lower the bits being requested for the deployment of the Crystal Corp to one, bringing the total bit offer to two point five bits an acre. I have stretched the limits of what I can offer without touching absurdities when it comes to that cost, for that offer," Cadance offered, her voice carrying an edge of finality to it. She could and would go no less for their work.

“I will work with Blueblood to hammer out the specifics,” she flashed a smile at Blueblood, “hope you brought something to drink, I like to work long into the night! Can’t help myself. Numbers and land surveys are fascinating reads,” she laughed before looking back at the Tyr. “When we do reach an agreement, I suggest you meet with Cadance while I speak with your mate. I have a little to discuss and much to do.”

Cadance knew what she meant and looked nervously about for a half-second before fixing on the two leaders, then smiled as they moved ever so slightly into her preferred arena. “And later, I would like to discuss how to properly conduct a ceremony honoring your relationship.”

• Like 1

Niilaavin for his part was impressed that Cadance can pop claws after all. Even if they were the claws of a kitten, it sat well with him all the same. Maybe she was not a rug for Twilight after all. But his approval of her flashing claws did not help him make head or tails of heart of this… Problem at paw. Why was, of all things, roads the first real thorny bush in this meeting? They are just… Paths. If you get fancy you put down stones. And if you got real ahead it had a train line. Now that was a marvel of this age he saw some real use in. You’d need a wagon train of some size, and so many more workers to match such a thing and they’d still be slower. But they are just making a road, not a train line. So what was making this so much of a pain in the tail for them? More perplexing was Blueblood and Jizara seemed more keen on it, than dismissing it. What was with ponies and roads? 

He mulled it over in his head and found it… Just bothersome and almost petty. Uniquely challenging environment? He already took up a Den for his hunts out there! He found water, food and spent almost two years flying the land and learning what it had too offer. It was challenging but he was taking his claim on land he saw almost abandoned just to fussed at about how ‘close and loved’ it was. He found himself understanding why meetings like this took weeks, maybe even months to sort out. At first he found such claims silly before sitting down and being in one. Oh he got it now. This was going to be long, painful and very tiresome. They traded pain of body for pain of mind with this conflict for land. He’d take pain of body any day. Just as he was about to speak a soft tapping of hoof on wood grabbed his attention as Blueblood spoke up first. "Think of this kingdom as your firstborn.  No matter how proud a sphinx may be relative to others, we come into this world helpless without the care of our parents.  You are one parent, and the Crystal Empire the other.  If anything, the Empire is the mother, for it is from their den that Hyatria shall emerge from.  But in its infancy, the Kingdom must be nursed, and the father support them in their nursing, if they wish their kitten to grow strong and wise." The unicorn explained in terms Niilaavin had to take a moment to grasp.

Not that this was hard to understand, it was very easy for him and made much more logic than whatever the two princesses have going off about with roads. What took a moment to grasp was the fact Blue was speaking about what the princesses were trying too convey. That left his mind reeling for a moment. If that is what they meant, why did they make this so damn confusing and rant about roads? What is up with ponies and their love of paths? Jizara piped up, speaking with all the fire of a sphinxess as she joined in on the topic some more.  "It would indeed be a challenge to match that offer, Princess Cadence.  My concern is that it may be excessive in expenditure; development ahead of usability just leads to rotting capital goods.  But... as a gesture of friendship, if nothing else, I would accept.  Just... do keep in mind that I would prefer the work done at the local level if at all possible.  It is important that those who live here take ownership and pride in the work of their hooves, and not see themselves as dependents.  The child must grow up, and... eventually, move beyond the ability of their mother... to give...."

He was going to make a remark about feeling ganged up on. But the words died in his muzzle as saw the mare lose her voice and almost shut out the world. He looked at her, eyes wondering for a moment. And then he felt horrible. He treated her like a fellow sphinx and she’d never want him to act otherwise. But she was not a sphinx. She was a pony that has seen many winters already. He loved her for that, he truly did. But her time was… From his view… So short. He’d not have her very long and that was dreadfully painful. And here he was tossing about plans that will take dozens of years and the turning of decides to see done. He’d spend years working his paws to see something done his way… And what? Will he come home and find his Den empty? Will he waste so much of her time? It left him taken back and speechless as he just looked at her. A soul so big in a body so small and short lived. He found himself unworthy honestly. Young, foolish and with what? Nothing to offer other then years in caves and on the hunt? He can’t even give her a litter. 

He laid down, moving closer to almost wrap around her, he did not care what the others felt or saw in this. Or if she fussed at him about dignity. What good was dignity and his head held up if she may pass his paws unhappy? He can’t give her one thing, but he can offer others. He let out an almost growling chuff of air before looking over at Blueblood. “I will… Entrust Prince Blueblood to speak on my behalf regarding this matter, but any final verdict shall be done only on my voice alone. And all changes of borders must be asked of me first Blue, before you make any changes.” He huffed and gave the mare held in his paws a gentle lick using just the tip of his tongue. She was never a fan of this but it was just one thing she’d have to keep dealing with. This was sphinx love, she wanted it and so she must deal with what comes along with that. Being groomed was just not up for debate. With the matter of this topic settled for now he took golden hook offered by Twilight change the pace of things. 

Far as he can tell this really was just a nice way to ‘end’ the meeting for now. Things were getting heated and it was best every one took a moment to clear the palate as it were. “If you are asking about how we’d do a wedding I hate to bring ill news. We had no custom of the sort. But we did have a way to conduct courting. When a male took a female into his den, we had some duty and so did she in how it was done. In a way that can be seen as a wedding. After a female approved of the male he’d take her to his den, if he had other mates he’d greet her to them. If he had none, he’d skip such. They’d share in the first hunt and meal together first. Then come sunset they’d give each other a new marking.” He pulled a paw up to his face, then ran a claw along the marking under his eye. “This, she’d add to it or give me a new marking somewhere. And I’d do the same, adding too or giving her a new one. That is a mark of bounding and we’d refresh them whenever they fade. I’d touch up hers, she’d do the same to mine. It's as close as we have to such a ceremony as marriage.” He explained, happy for the change of pace with things.

Twilight was pleased to see the new Tyr retreat from his obstinance, if only to allow the more civic minded and literate among his party tend to the boring matters at hoof and paw. He fell into his love for Jizara, and with it Twilight knew his mind was refocused on matters more up his alley. Cadance smiled a brief, happy thing as she saw the Sphinx no longer offer such resistance. 

“I am sure that we can work on the exact details, down to the specifications of it. What is important is we have reached an umbrella agreement that would allow us to work on the details. All of which would be approved by you in the end, of course,” Twilight nodded her assent to the proceedings. The hardest work was done. The rest- the minutia, the details- were the fun parts of the job to her, and the parts she was more than ready to work with Blueblood and Jizara regarding. Well, after other tasks were tended to.

“Agreed. With the umbrella terms understood, we can work on specifics. For now though, Tyr Niilaavin, would you like to take an in-creature tour of some areas of your new realm not so readily accessible from the air? You can tell me more about these markings. They sound fascinating!” Cadance offered. Truthfully, it was a ploy to remove him from Jizara and Blueblood so Twilight could do her work with them without the big kitten being overly concerned or reactive. 

“And while the Tyr is taking his tour, if I could ask you two to remain here? I am sure the next part of the negotiation will require a devotion to detail and minutia that would drive other creatures mad,” she said, her eyes swirling in her head as she smiled. 

• Like 1

Blueblood sighed a bit in relief as the moment of tension passed.  At this point, all that remained were the numbers, and he knew that Niilaavin was content to leave those to somepony else, as long as nothing on the map unduly diminished.  And Jizara, as Spoiled, had always been sensible about this sort of thing.  "Don't worry, you're in good hooves."  He reassured the sphinx, while mentally preparing himself for a prolonged mental workout, followed by a post-maths headache to rival the worst of his hangovers.  He envied the fortitude with which alicorns could face such debauches...

"If I can deal with the minutiae of town budget to the eighth-bit, surely a kingdom of this size is within my competence."  Jizara replied, declaring her intention to stay, even as she stole a last little snuggle beneath Niil's feathery embrace.  "And perhaps, Cadence, you might give Niil a little pointer in color theory before the ceremony?  Black, of course, is classic for eyeliner, but I think there may be a few subtle shades that would blend better with both our coat colors; obviously they have to match.  Still, Princess Cadence, we would be... honored, if you could in some way facilitate the ceremony publicly?  A Tyr's match, I think, deserves more than a private ceremony."  She hoped Niil didn't mind the publicity so much, but if he was going to go for a royal position, he'd have to get used to pageantry!

• Like 2

He felt a bit of hesitation to leave the meeting so soon. But everyone seemed fine with the meeting winding down in such a way for now. And good will come of him peeking over heads and staring at tiny text on papers? He can’t read most of it, it was just too small for him. Just markings on a tiny page, on a tiny book. He can’t even read his own fan mail without help from a servant! And so it was evident nothing good will come of him haunting the place asking for every detail to be broken down into something he can understand. Blue hammered it well into his head a good leader knows when to just trust on court. He may not have that yet, but he did trust his friends. “Oh very well, what is a meeting of royalty without tours.” He says with a roll of his eyes, then pulls himself up after with the last parting purring nuzzle at Jizara. “And black is much more easy to make than other colors were back then, my list of colors was limited. Black. Or Red. Blue was truly out of my reach at the time and purple? Oh, a kitten can dream of rivers of milk with more truth than my hopes of seeing such. But maybe it's worth revisiting such now, color is so easy to get… And I am told, less deadly.” He says with a chuffing purr. 

He  took one last look at the big world map, then waved his paw. And like that it faded into mist revealing the big table and its food again. He leaned down and snapped up the last of the roasted hog, downing it in one bite and crunch of his jaws. “Lead away.” He gestured for Cadance and followed her, for all his size he moved almost silently after her other than his speech. “The markings, GriffLaudi, are in a way like their own… Markings that you sport on the rump. Just we don’t get them by magic. Or that they mean what we do… So less like what you have. But still a personal thing. It marks you as an adult. I got mine the day before I departed my den.” He spoke, looking down at the tall alicorn as if she was some foal, his story fading down the hallway with a departing flick of his lion's tail. North Wind, his head servant, left soon after following him out in a fast trot to keep peace with the giant.

“Oh, I can see that. Somesphinx could really use with some warmer shades. They stand out in the far north pretty well,” she said as she moved some of them tufts of mane and fur out of the way. She had to stop herself from petting Niilaavin. Big cat, big scratches. It was instinct. “I am sure we can work on making the Tyr presentable for a wonderful public ceremony,” she said as she led the Tyr away on his tour.

She flapped her wings once, twice, and then a third time and using Twilight’s leftover magic she teleported them as whisps in flame to an area right outside Crystal Caverns. She sparkled in full Crystal Pony form, and as she moved she moved through tree and rock alike. She was taking him on a tour and she could take him anywhere she so needed to, but they would not be seen by the ponies of the area. This would allow him to get a full understanding without concerns for his size or the fears of the creatures around. North Wind had been transported as well.

“I see. Very interesting. It seems many creatures have such coming of age marks. What does your mean? What is the symbolism?”

Twilight smiled as the pair left and allowed some time to pass before she continued.
“Excellent. Now we can work on his real gifts,” Twilight said with a smile once the Tyr was well and truly gone. She looked at the two who had remained.  As she did so, she spoke to both of them. “Jizara, Jizara. A good name for a good Sphinx,” Twilight’s horn lit up as she worked on setting the table appropriately. “I must say, I wasn’t as shocked as others when developments drew you down the path. Your path was always dotted with the trappings of prestige and power, growing like weeds throughout a kingdom. You cannot flower thusly in Equestria, of course; you need a new garden in which to grow. Hayatria will be that garden,” Twilight said as documents of a crackling, energetic nature knitted themselves in front of her.

“I will give you your new life as a Sphinx. No conditions attached. Of course, the real question is what to do with assets as they exist now. Your marriage will be ended with Filthy Rich, as much as it exists now. Your status as Mayor of Ponyville will be ended. Your status as a subject of Equestria, as my Subject, shall end. All of these things are clear,” she finished, showing the documents. She looked up, only the barest smirk hidden. “I can do much more, if you will it. So, Jizara, how far do you wish this new life to have gone?”

As she spoke to Jizara, Blueblood would hear Twilight’s voice in his head.

“Prince Blueblood, I’m so proud of the pony you have become. All that has happened- from your not-so humble beginnings to the establishment of IMAGINE, to the fine stallion and mare you are and the wonderful Herd you have joined- have led you here. You more than most deserve praise and a break, but as you know, leaders get far too much of the first and never enough of the latter,” she finally turned to Blueblood and spoke to him normally. “You know full well that this new kingdom lacks the diplomatic tact and international wisdom that it will require to succeed in the long term. As such, I am offering you the position as Equestrian Ambassador-slash-Ambassadress to the Kingdom of Hyatria. I presume you find this agreeable?”

• Hearthoof 1

"Indeed it is easier to get these days... but for you, I would certainly splurge~"  Jizara couldn't let Niil do too much spoiling of her without reciprocation, or else she'd re-arn her old name!  And honestly, she'd back her own judgment of purchasing makeup over any male's, regardless of whether their culture thought it compatible with masculinity or not!

Twilight seemed to think along these lines too, at least as far as giftings were concerned, as it was time to discuss the most precious thing they could give him right now.  She had found her respect for the purple alicorn's wisdom and intelligence grow over the years, though Twilight would probably admit both qualities had themselves grown over the same period.  "I suppose you learned it not too long after I was aware of it, perhaps before I was willing to admit it to myself.  A better garden awaits, but it did take some uprooting to get ready for the transplant."  It was fairly unusual for an earth pony of... a certain age, to pull up sticks and move; but perhaps Niilaavin was right when he said she was always a sphinx at heart.

And now, it was time to wrap up the last of things attaching her to her old life.  She couldn't say she'd miss Filthy now, though there was still a dull ache when it came to Diamond Tiara...  "If you can transform me, here and now... I would like you to make the same offer to Diamond Tiara.  I want to remember my old life, which will help me live my new one all the better.  But if she wants to give me another chance to be raised by a better mother... at least tell her the offer is open."  She smiled, a little sadly, "This might be a mother's pride, but I think she'd have the heart of a sphinx too."

Blueblood found himself touched by this remark, nodding along as he conversed with Twilight in his mind, *Thank you so much... but until you have a little one of your own, you won't know what it means to have no break!*  One of the advantages of having a herd is that little Pax had three parents on rotating duty, which meant that at least one of them should be able to sleep at night.  Theoretically.  Never seemed to work out like that.  How did monogamous households do it?

Aloud, he answered, "I do indeed, though I wouldn't want to speak for my wives quite yet.  Nonetheless, pending spousal permission, I accept."  It was one more in a long line of titles and duties he'd taken on, but likely not the last....
*It's just possible... I may be making a move of subject-citizenship myself.  Hyatria may need me as more than an ambassador soon.*

• Like 2

Niilaavin waved back and forth on unsteady legs, a moment looking dazed. That was the first time he’s ever been teleported and it took his mind a few moments to even register what happened as he looked around himself in soft daze and his stomach did a flip. Oh that was unpleasant. Not painful, just… unpleasantly disorienting. He shook his head a few times and made rather crude sounds as shook it off and looked around with more focused eyes. “Next time please offer me a warning, oh that was… Something.” He mutters, his mind clearing as his body settles down. He took in his surroundings swiftly and noted he was no longer in the city… And honestly he had no clue where he even was now. The sound of a pony losing her lunch pulled his gaze down to North Wind. The poor mare was retching. With respect he looked away and acted as if saw nothing and looked at Cadance. 

“Oh, that’s new.” He says leaning his head down to inspect the now very shiny pony. She looked… Well, not very real. Like some work of art, not a thing of flesh and blood. He then pawed her to see if she felt as hard as she looked now. As soon as he did it, he scolded himself mentally, but some things were very hard to repress. She was just so… Shiny! He wanted to bap her. “Ah, sorry. You are just… Hrm, you are shiny. It's hard to stop myself sometimes with such.“ He admitted with a passing smile before he waved a paw at the land around them. Thick woods, towering mountain peaks. He knew vaguely where they were by that alone. “Where are we?” He asked before remembering what was asked of him before the teleport. 

“And keep this between us, but it has no symbolism. Few do, we just make up something that looks cool. I came up with this in… Oh, a few moments with mud and a shiny pool of water with the help of Jizara." He paused for a moment, he regretted adding the last part. "But I say it means I am born to rise above others, such that the long line rises over the dots.” He added after a moment to move on. “But it just looks cool. But for us, it does matter without symbolism. Every single one of us has markings found just on us. In a way, that is the symbolism. Areself. We will mark land with it, clawing it onto things alongside scent.” He added, giving more context for it.

Cadance took his pawing in good stride. Cats liked shiny objects, he was a bag cat. She wanted him to get used to it, however. Crystal ponies would be a going concern for him for as long as he lived now and if he didn’t get used to the way they looked, then he would be be having a very bad time. “Is it now?” She giggled. She nodded. “Sorry. I didn’t expect powerful creatures such as yourself to feel such an effect from teleportation. Same for you, North Wind. I suppose I’m still not as good at this as Twilight is,” she laughed as she led them further, this time into the mine itself.

“Ahh. Well, no shame in picking something because it is pleasing. Symbolism is what we make of it, isn’t it? Same thing with Cutie Marks, really. Most Cutie Marks do give you guidance, true, but what it means is up to you. Smiling flowers don’t make you a gardener, after all,” she said as they ventured into the mine further. It was well-made and established, and the few ponies they saw there were universally hardy looking. Most were unicorns, some Earth ponies and even a pegasus, but they were all blackened and greyed by the dark of the mine. Few words were spoken; they worked as a well-oiled machine. Even a small filly was seen using her magic to move and carve and push and pull alongside her father.

“And what mark would you give Jizara?”

Twilight had learned very early, in fact. Just when was hard for her. The time period of her ascension had been followed by a very literal growing into her role. During that process, time had lost meaning and structure. Even now she was unaware of just when she had learned some things, only that she always had known. She didn’t know how important it was, however, to understand just when the manner of their love and her realization had come to pass. What mattered now was aligning reality correctly.

“I will make the offer to Diamond Tiara,” Twilight replied without expansion. Truth was, Diamond was not going to join her mother. She was not given to the greed and the lust for power that defined the heart of a Sphinx, even the ones who did kind things. Her fate would be quite awful as a member of that species. Besides, Twilight knew that Diamond had a bright future ahead of her and wasn’t expecting that to deviate anytime soon. “Though with the assumption she declines it, I will make sure she takes your change in good stride.”

Or as well as she could, considering her mother was abandoning her not only in terms of hearth and home but even as the shared experience of a pony. It was a betrayal of that young mare, but Diamond would take it well. The relationship had been strained for so long thanks to Diamond’s innately good heart finally allowing her to blossom into the fine mare she was destined to become that the tears shed would be brief if passionate. 

“I’ll keep your memories intact. Your past, intact. If this is your wish, so be it. As for the divorce, I will handle the exact distribution of assets at a later point. Your marriage is hereby ended with Spoiled Rich; a copy of the proceedings is now in the Canterlot Archives,” she said as several quills worked feverishly on a stack of papers. One by one, they vanished, leaving only Twilight. Her horn lit up. “Any final requests, Jizara?”

As she spoke with Jizara, Twiligtht held back a giggle in her head. Blue may not have known how Twilight looked at Equestria, but in a way it was like she had several dozen million little ones laying around. Weariness in that manner was an old friend, dearly entrenched.  “I’m happy to hear you accept, barring spousal approval. As for the other thing- we’ll discuss that, but not for now. One step at a time for you, Blue.”

• Like 1