Last post wins

I get that being on the internet is going to lead to spoilers at some point, I'm just saying that everyone should understand when they say anything about basically anything, there's a chance they'll spoil someone, what they do with that information nothing is up to them.

Well I guess my NE pride is destroyed or something, hm.

Also I feel like I should be hungry, but this doesn't feel like hunger, maybe my body is eating itself

No, just consider what you're going to talk about, is it popular? Is it something your friends would want to see? Is it old enough for them to most likely have seen it by now? If you're not going to ask to see if people are okay with talking about it, you can at least put in forethought to consider whether it's something they don't mind talking about even if they haven't seen it.

It's going to be an interesting day at my work. On Friday, my coworkers were talking about how they wouldn't be in the best mood if the Pats lost. 

I was kinda rooting for both teams. 

That's like saying no one can talk about, say the super bowl, in order to be considerate to those who have not watched it yet. Asking people (especially on the Internet) to be cautious about spoilers is close to impossible; it cannot wait for every single interested soul to finish watching it.

Everyone will be talkking about the super bowl, and everyone will be yelling about who won/lost.

I didn't mean to get under your scales, but a lengthy paragraph with a questionable tone puts me off in the wrong way.

I've already said you don't have to give a single second to caring or questioning it, I said you could and maybe should, but you don't have to. If you want to talk about it, go ahead, all I've said is that you should, and do now, know that there will be people who have not seen what you are talking about and will classify it as a spoiler. Whether they care or not is up to them, but you can't claim ignorance to the fact that you might upset people, even if you see it as not your fault, it will be, it's not a bad thing to talk about what you want, but you need to accept the blame when it's reasonable if people are upset. Talk over something that's a few years old is nothing big, even if someone gets spoiled, it's more their fault for waiting assuming they've just been putting it off, but the Superbowl is an awful comparison, something so recent should be talked about carefully, especially around people who have shown interest. If they haven't seen it yet but plan to, don't be the one jerk who spoils it, especially if they manage to avoid the vast number of other spoilers out there.

My tone is that of one who is irritated as of right now due to things not concerning you, but also irritated due to spoilers in general. Look at the Korra stuff from before, that's an example of stuff I understood I had no ground in saying not to talk about, it's been out long enough I think for me to not be in the right to complain about it. But then look further back to talk of Doki Doki Literature Club in this thread, there were spoilers that just said too much, which was any substance at all, and add to that the ever larger number of spoilers I was already receiving from other chats and you can see why I was upset. That feeling is still with me whenever spoilers are concerned, people seem to treat spoilers as something that only pertains to the plot of something, so me saying "X's twist was insane!" would be fine to those people, however people who have not seen X and did not know there was a twist will now be on the lookout for it in the future, which makes it less surprising and or shocking when it comes around. That's my tone.

Hey there, if I may:

We do things every day that affect other people, often unconsciously -- often with pretty heavy consequences. Sometimes the slight is small; someone takes your parking space, or doesn't see you and claims the last bathroom stall. Someone cuts in front of you in line. Someone says something you find offensive. Someone feels comfortable with you and slanders your best friend, not knowing it's your best friend. Your coworkers set you up for failure and throw you under the bus. Hell, I just walked into my bakery last night after being gone on my weekend and the previous Baker did not respect my work space. Things were dirty, or rearranged weird. The products I needed to bake tonight came out cruddy because of how they were treated the previous night. I doubt he hunched over a pan thinking of ways to screw me over...at least I hope not.

People have a myriad of reasons for acting the way they do, and for making the choices they make. Nothing is more raw or apparent about the human condition of hamfisted communication than the internet. Yes, everything we do affects others. Yes, we should be polite and aware as we can. A lot of the places I personally frequent are pretty good at hiding potential spoilers for virtually anything. However, you are in charge of what content you consume. If you see the conversation turning toward something you haven't seen yet, you are in control of whether you read it or not by moving on from that conversation if it makes mention of something. You have to be your own spoiler alert sometimes, and this is especially true on the internet. A lot of media blogs I frequent tend to post spoilers in the titles of their clickbaity articles -- often from stuff that aired last night. My point is, you're in control of your own internet experience here. You'll find plenty of polite and aware folks, along with just as many that don't give AF what they're spurting out to the black abyss of the internet.

I enjoy you Patch, but the people of this little group did not deserve that response. This is definitely in the "aware" sector of people you'll meet on the internet, and you should give the people here that trust and respect -- as well as grace if there is a slip now and then. This thread was originally locked for a year or two over some technological concerns by the previous Admin team. It was more robust than it is now, almost on par with an active chat on Discord. I chose to unlock this thread and revive its contents because it was a fun place for like-minded people to gather together to talk about anything, in a slower interim than a normal chat room. It's as much a part of Canterlot as the people who created it. 

Please respect the discussion, as well as everyone here, regardless of whatever pet peeve may occur in happenstance.

If you'd like we can chat about this more in PMs...otherwise, please continue the discussion. I'm totally going to watch some anime today and veg out before I bake again tonight, then work all night, then drive 2 hours north first thing in the morning to get some painful medical treatment done. Spoiler alert on my life.

• Like 1

I in no way meant any negativity in what I've said, at least not to people in general. Though to be fair, I don't see anything negative in there as targeting anyone, so I don't see how they would or wouldn't deserve it.

I've also already said I understand people might not care or just not think about it if they spoil something, and I said I know I can't fault them at a certain point. Yes, on the internet you have to be on watch for spoilers, but like my example for DDLC, that was in no way my fault and I had no way to know it was going to contain spoilers for something I wanted to experience. To a degree you can avoid spoilers, but you have to remember, this is an MLP RP forum, so literally anything outside of MLP and at this point anime I have no way of knowing whether or not to expect spoilers for it. Again, I know that it falls on my shoulders ultimately, but it's also the consideration other people should have. Whether they do or don't is ultimately on them, but at some point, it fails to be my fault for not avoiding some spoilers.

And again, if you sensed negativity targeting anyone in particular, that was not my intent. I am in a very sour mood, but it is in no way the result of anyone here, and I'm not trying to make it out that way. My tone comes across as targeting and harsh a lot, but it's not meant that way. I'm just super stressed out and trying to distract myself.

Thanks for your understanding!

If it's any consolation, DDLC was spoiled for me before I even knew what it was. Was I upset? No. I haven't even played it yet, in spite of people telling me it's a definite Rose game. I'll get there. Knowing what to expect doesn't define the experience. Sometimes spoilers enrich content -- I watched the Made in Abyss anime and went straight to the manga. It's an incredible story, and if anything I'm pretty hype for Season 2 because of this. I remember telling the denizens of this thread they should watch it, and I remember when I gave a synopsis of what it's about, you claimed it was spoiled and unwatchable, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Sorry you're stressed, just remember we are all friends in this little group. Nobody here will willfully disrespect others -- if they do, I will have something to say about it.