Last post wins

1 hour ago, PatchworkPsycho said:

What's y'all's default mood? 

Gotta stay positive, yo.

47 minutes ago, Rosewind said:

My default mood is ... determined.

Sorry about the job Tenkan; I've been through my fair share of different jobs. Usually leaving one led to getting a better one -- keep your chin up and look for that new door!

Thanks, Rosewind. Much appreciated. I was bummed, but not as bummed as I would have been if I stayed in the job. I've come to the conclusion my manager had it out for me and wanted me out or my will broken. Have ever faced a manager who abused their power before?

All the time. It can be stressful working for people who don't have your best interests in mind at all. I've worked jobs where I knew I needed to leave, I was just afraid to take that step until I was actually unemployed and had to look anyway. Pay attention when you have a leader that is good. Someone you want to follow; the person who has no problem doing your job with you and is interested in developing you. They're rare, but they do exist.

Remember that no matter where you work, the circus will go on. Don't talk poorly about anyone or anything there, stay positive, get the job done, move on if the environment remains consistently toxic. It's easier to get a job while you have a job.

If all else fails and you're not sure you can go on, watch this video of my friend feeding her husky spaghetti:

https://twitter.com/RaisedbyDogs/status/965061567032127488/video/1

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Rosewind said:

All the time. It can be stressful working for people who don't have your best interests in mind at all. I've worked jobs where I knew I needed to leave, I was just afraid to take that step until I was actually unemployed and had to look anyway. Pay attention when you have a leader that is good. Someone you want to follow; the person who has no problem doing your job with you and is interested in developing you. They're rare, but they do exist.

Remember that no matter where you work, the circus will go on. Don't talk poorly about anyone or anything there, stay positive, get the job done, move on if the environment remains consistently toxic. It's easier to get a job while you have a job.

If all else fails and you're not sure you can go on, watch this video of my friend feeding her husky spaghetti:

https://twitter.com/RaisedbyDogs/status/965061567032127488/video/1

SPAGHET EATING BOI

Now I feel motivated. :P

But you're correct. Work is work, no point dwelling on the past and move on to better prospects.

30 minutes ago, Rocky said:

My default mood is very optimistic. More of a 'glass is half full' kinda guy.

Nice. :aubrey:

3 minutes ago, SymphonicFire said:

Most people think it's negative, especially older generations.

Classic millennial Symphy. 

I wouldn't say it's directly negative...but for it to be your default mood, I'd think it could have negative consequences...you don't come off as apathetic, from what I can tell. 

My default mood is constant anxiety and doubt that the world isn't fictitious because I have a dissertation due in a  week and I still have to do 1,500 more words and after that I have 4 other assignments all due in the same month and I haven't started any of them.
Then its onto the rest of my life where I can be trapped in a society I don't believe in until my existence is spread so thin that I can't be considered as real anymore.   

2 hours ago, Penumbra said:

My default mood is constant anxiety and doubt that the world isn't fictitious because I have a dissertation due in a  week and I still have to do 1,500 more words and after that I have 4 other assignments all due in the same month and I haven't started any of them.
Then its onto the rest of my life where I can be trapped in a society I don't believe in until my existence is spread so thin that I can't be considered as real anymore.   

Have you ever played Night in the Woods? You really need to play Night in the Woods.

It can be really tough to put things in focus, especially when your inbox gets full. It's always going to be full, so you have to prioritize and figure out what's causing you the most stress, then take steps to remove (or reduce) those problems from your life. I know this isn't a cure-all solution for everyone; it's more of a guide line that I've personally found works really well for me. ymmv. I use my PC's sticky notes to write down little reminders for myself. I have two sets -- one of long term things that don't need my immediate attention, and shorter term ones that do. 

Like so:

qmcfSX9.png

As for getting school stuff done...get all your information together, then unplug your internet. Put your phone in another room. Seriously. Nothing kills writing production more than distraction.

2 hours ago, Penumbra said:

I get it! I am also juggling research on microfluidics with 4 different group projects, 5 papers due each week, and squeezing in free time.

Rose is right, prioritizing is super helpful. There is this great tool out there, that you can use called the GTD System (Getting things Done). It’s an amazing way to prioritize and catalog everything that needs to be done. I’d recommend reading/watching vids on it, it seriously is a game changer.

link to book: https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Things-Done-Stress-Free-Productivity/dp/0142000280

3 hours ago, Tenkan said:

Rose, don't forget dog cookies, btw.

I'm curious. I hope you don't mind but why Teaanddice? 

Ah, well, I’ve actually ran play by posts for several D&D 5e podcasting groups. 

We pretty much all just referenced each other by our avatars, mine being a picture of some wooden dice, a pipe, and a glass of tea. So, my PbP name for roleplaying since then has been teaanddice.

on a side note, I spelt it like that because the doubling of letters was aesthetically nice: teAAnDDice 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Rosewind said:

Have you ever played Night in the Woods? You really need to play Night in the Woods.

It can be really tough to put things in focus, especially when your inbox gets full. It's always going to be full, so you have to prioritize and figure out what's causing you the most stress, then take steps to remove (or reduce) those problems from your life. I know this isn't a cure-all solution for everyone; it's more of a guide line that I've personally found works really well for me. ymmv. I use my PC's sticky notes to write down little reminders for myself. I have two sets -- one of long term things that don't need my immediate attention, and shorter term ones that do. 

Like so:

qmcfSX9.png

As for getting school stuff done...get all your information together, then unplug your internet. Put your phone in another room. Seriously. Nothing kills writing production more than distraction.

I did see a play though of the adventures of personality disorder cat. I wish I could jump around on power lines and be a cat girl. That'd show them.

I do try, but i'm so bad at organising and sticking to plans. I have pretty much no idea how to progress with my dissertation.
Oh well, it'll be over in a weeks time. I have no doubt i'll submit something, but I don't think it'll be very good. 

And I can't turn off the internet, I need that for research. 

7 hours ago, teaanddice said:

I get it! I am also juggling research on microfluidics with 4 different group projects, 5 papers due each week, and squeezing in free time.

Rose is right, prioritizing is super helpful. There is this great tool out there, that you can use called the GTD System (Getting things Done). It’s an amazing way to prioritize and catalog everything that needs to be done. I’d recommend reading/watching vids on it, it seriously is a game changer.

link to book: https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Things-Done-Stress-Free-Productivity/dp/0142000280

Such is uni life. Maybe my devil may care attitude is coming back to bite me. I'll try what ever makes me feel less and less sick all the time.

Also welcome. Existential crisis's are common here. We have a few booked in next week if you wan't to stick around for them.