LightWind

lordbrony

Name: LightWind

Sex: Male

Species: Pegasus

Pelt colour: Dark Indigo

Mane/Tail/Markings colour and Style: Short Light Cyan mane with some of it covering the right side of his face; gels his mane back in the traditional swept back look when in Shadowbolts uniform. Short tail

Eye colour: Black

Cutie Mark: A pair of white feathery wings

Physique: Average build, on the thin side

Origin: Cloudsdale

Roleplay Type: Mane

Occupation: Former temp in Weather Control and former Wonderbolt reserve member, current Shadowbolt starter

Motivation: Pretty much none whatsoever

DisLikes: Loud noises, public places, attention

Character History:

Born to the 2 best fliers from the prestigious Rainbow Painting Division, Equestrian Weather Control, LightWind was always considered to be just apple that had fallen a wee bit too far from the tree. While his parents were sociable and generally cheery, LightWind was stoic, somber, morose and quickly obtained the reputation of a pony of few words.

His only saving grace, according to his parents, was that he had inherited his their talent for flying. From a young age, while the other pegasi foals were gingerly taking steps on the streets of Cloudsdale, LightWind had already taken to flitting for brief moments, only landing when he got tired. His parents were secretly proud of his rapid development, but they began to worry about their young colt’s temperament.

Easily passing the entrance exams to Junior Flight School, LightWind’s talent quickly got him the attention of his peers and teachers as they praised his skills. As he garnered more and more attention from teacher and students alike for the ease that he picked up flying concepts, he began to adopt an increasingly withdrawn attitude; wincing when his teacher called his name till it became less and less frequent. He also preferred to leisurely fly home or hang out alone at the cloud fields on the outskirts of Cloudsdale thinking or flying around aimlessly after school while his classmates hung out, raced, ran obstacle courses and played. Eventually, he faded out of the scene and ponies began to forget his existence, something that suited him fine. His grades were also nothing to shout at, averaging 60% and no matter what his parents did, from cajoling to forceful punishment, was met with silence and disinterest and they never improved beyond that.

One day, in acrobatics class, his teacher had just demonstrated a move, a simple loop the loop, and had asked the class to try to do it. One by one they failed, some spectacularly, but when it came to LightWind, he stepped up and to the astonishment of his classmates and pulled it off flawlessly, then glided past them to the back of group without a word or any emotion. As he landed he felt something and turned around, his cutie mark appeared that day.

Upon graduation, LightWind’s apparent lack of interest in anything, aim in life and anything remotely resembling a work ethic made finding a trade hard for him, and he ended up temping in Weather Control more on account of, and to placate his parents than anything.

A last ditch effort by his parents to make something out of their son led him to audition for the Wonderbolts. Like most of his flying related endeavours he managed to impress them enough to be offered a reserve spot. While he fit into their routines perfectly and carried himself well, his spotty attendance record and poor participation in training sessions and near flawless non-attendance for publicity events and when he did attend; he was likely to spent most of it hiding backstage or wandering around in the crowd (and blending in perfectly) out of uniform instead of being where he needed to be. This led to his ejection after just half a year.

Taking to wandering (helped that he got fired while on tour a long way from home), LightWind eventually chanced upon the Everfree Forest. Living as a hermit, Lightwind eked out a solitary existence by scavenging what little he could find from the few fruit trees available and digging out herbs to eat, all the while getting what little entertainment he could giving the runaround to whatever large predatory creature that thought of him as a meal

It is while escaping from a pride of manticores (mainly by making them stumble into trees and each other while trying to catch him) that he chanced upon a previously unexplored part of the Everfree forest. It was there that he noticed a lone pegasus seemingly practising the same moves over and over again. Watching that pegasus' dedication to his art stirred something in LightWind and for the first time in his life he began to regret his wasted chances in life and it finally dawned on him that for all his talent, he never really amounted to anything. He stepped up, mustered his courage and flew up to introduce himself. The pegasus was initially dismissive of LightWind and moved away to resume practice, but LightWind followed and managed to keep pace with the pegasus, mimicking his moves competently and he finally managed to impress that pegasus enough to stop and take note.

Stopping finally for a break, that pegasus introduced himself as Nightshade, and eventually the topic of conversation (Nightshade did most of the talking ofc) drifted to their shared experiences in the Wonderbolts and Nightshade's desire to form a competing team. Initially, LightWind's old fears of being in the public spotlight surfaced and he wanted to decline the opportunity. Nightshade, however, after seeing LighWind's potential, remained insistent and finally LightWind agreed to join him to form the Shadowbolts.

Character Summary:

LightWind comes off as arrogant and aloof initially but that is mainly a by product of him not having a care or attachment to anything in this world and a desire to avoid attention. Blessed with seemingly boundless talent for flying, LightWind has never felt the need or seen the value in training or practice and would only do so reluctantly and for short bursts at a time. This usually ends up with him being accused of being just plain lazy; something he neither confirms or denies. He still shuns the limelight, and the attention of being a Shadowbolts member still gets to him, but slipping away now is much easier and secretly encouraged by his team since well, they get more attention without him around, and they do so love attention.

Deep down inside, he understands that the Shadowbolts represent the potentially last hope for him to utilize his flying talent and while he won't show it outwardly, he's secretly attached to the team and concerned about its financial performance and popularity. His dependence on the Shadowbolts is mutual as they see him as one of their steadiest and most dependable members (stunts wise anyway) and there's no pony they'd rather have flying at them at speed for a staged close-mid-air-miss than LightWind.

Lightwind.jpg

Lightwind_costume.jpg

Shadowbolts costume

This character comes off as a tad bit arrogant, so hopefully that's what you're going for. Is there any particular reason for him being so somber and morose? I know there's a big difference sometimes in nature vs. nurture, but given that he was raised by his relatively well-adjusted parents, it's likely that some event happened to sour his world view...unless he's in the midst of the teenage/young adult hormonal crisis where everything just sucks for him no matter how insignificant.

If not, there are deeper issues to be explored as to why he is so antisocial. Past events, chemical imbalance, serious depression, etc.

This character comes off as a tad bit arrogant, so hopefully that's what you're going for. Is there any particular reason for him being so somber and morose? I know there's a big difference sometimes in nature vs. nurture, but given that he was raised by his relatively well-adjusted parents, it's likely that some event happened to sour his world view...unless he's in the midst of the teenage/young adult hormonal crisis where everything just sucks for him no matter how insignificant. If not, there are deeper issues to be explored as to why he is so antisocial. Past events, chemical imbalance, serious depression, etc.

Looks like i might have a problem here, i just wanted him to be the quiet loner type but now you're telling me he's arrogant!

also i got the green light from Vinyl so I'll just go ahead and write up their 1st meeting

I like the meeting, although I just have one small concern, Nightshade is not one to approach others, that isn't to say he isn't sociable. He wouldn't introduce himself, he would wait until LightWind showed some motive by approaching him and introducing himself and his ambitions. Not that big of a deal, but it would make more sense that way.

I like the meeting, although I just have one small concern, Nightshade is not one to approach others, that isn't to say he isn't sociable. He wouldn't introduce himself, he would wait until LightWind showed some motive by approaching him and introducing himself and his ambitions. Not that big of a deal, but it would make more sense that way.

umm LightWind did approach Nightshade while the latter was practicing

Interesting character! I am curious though to hear, is there any particular reason for his anti-social and apathetic behavior? Or does he simply suffer from some sort of inherent depression that prevents him from being motivated about most of life? (either route is acceptable of course I just like to see clarification) I do like how he sees the Shadowbolts as an opportunity for find meaning before things become too difficult for him to try and that he recognizes that. (probably because I can personally emphasize with that feeling). He is a tragic character, suffering from so many flaws in his personality while being so talented.

Interesting character! I am curious though to hear, is there any particular reason for his anti-social and apathetic behavior? Or does he simply suffer from some sort of inherent depression that prevents him from being motivated about most of life? (either route is acceptable of course I just like to see clarification) I do like how he sees the Shadowbolts as an opportunity for find meaning before things become too difficult for him to try and that he recognizes that. (probably because I can personally emphasize with that feeling). He is a tragic character, suffering from so many flaws in his personality while being so talented.

I based him on the steotypical loner-drifter-introverted-emo character, and I also can't really think of any specific series of events to make him so grimdark (nuture) so I made him inherently anti social (nature), and because he didn't go out to experience the world, he gave up whatever little chance he had at finding something

Being forced to work in Weather Control by his parents didnt fufill him and the Wonderbolts was just another "job" in that long list.

Being in the Shadowbolts isn't much different from the Wonderbolts with regards to performance demands, but while the Wonderbolts are cheery, friendly and full of team spirit, the Shadowbolts team enviroment is grittier and much more grim, so he secretly feels more at "home" there.

He'd basically be nothing without his flying talent carrying him through life

The only thing that strikes me as a little odd is the lack of motivation. I can't see how a pony who's part of an acrobatic team would have no motivation whatsoever, but...I suppose whatever. I'd like to see something in here. But if you can come up with one, I'll let you put it in later. For now, I'll go ahead and approve this:

AppApproved.png

The only thing that strikes me as a little odd is the lack of motivation. I can't see how a pony who's part of an acrobatic team would have no motivation whatsoever, but...I suppose whatever. I'd like to see something in here. But if you can come up with one, I'll let you put it in later. For now, I'll go ahead and approve this:

well if you see motivation as " the psychological feature that arouses an organism to action toward a desired goal; the reason for the action; that which gives purpose and direction to behavior" (shamelessly ripped off from somewhere). Its quite easy to see why he has none; He's not hankering after fame or fortune and has no interest in self improvement at all and has no goals in life to work towards

He sees the Sbolts as just another job and maybe you could say him wanting the Sbolts to succeed is a motivation in itself but I don't really think that counts