Remedy (Final)

Remedy

- - - -

Name: Remedia "Remedy"

Sex: Female

Species: Earth Pony

Pelt Color: Pale yellow

Mane/Tail Markings Color & Style: Fairy curly light lime green mane and tail. Mane is kept long, tail is trimmed short.

Eye Color: Brilliant Blue

Cutie Mark: A simple green fern. Fern_Leaf.png

Physique: Average pony build, a bit on the tall side

Origin: Bareback Gutch

Roleplay Type: Mane RP

Motivation: To provide the best natural ointments and antidotes for common and rare pony illnesses.

Likes: Nature/wilderness, water/rain, breezes, beautiful scenery, gardens, teas, vegetables, fashion trends (whether or not she can afford them).

Dislikes: Loud noises, hot weather, chocolate, confectioneries, being put under pressure.

Character Summary: Born in Bareback Gutch, Remedy has always been spiteful of the hot, dry air that nestled between the western and eastern mountains that cradle Roughrider Ridge. Not much green grew where she was, except for the cacti that were abundant to that region of Equestria. Needless to say, it was not with the kind of vastness that she had read of in books from her parent's library. From a young age her imagination had gotten her into trouble. She would pretend to travel across the land to brilliant green landscapes faraway, often getting lost in the process.

Her parents forbade her to pursue her dream of crossing the mountains, instead keeping her at home. They were always fearful of not being able to meet their quota for the shipment of goods that went out every so often. Although running away from the oppression of her parents had crossed her mind many a time, she didn't have the heart to leave them to worry. Well into her mare-hood, Remedy was brought up as a tinkerer. Her parents were skilled in clockwork: springs and simple gear contraptions. From them she learned the tools of their trade, though she knew in her heart that this wasn't her path to take. Still, she would examine any plant she could get her hooves on-- cacti, tumble weed, imported flowers-- and take samples back to her room. She would spend hours before bed reading up on botany and the many properties each individual plant harnessed: many plants of which she had never seen with her own eyes. Plants she was positive she never would see. Until her parents approached her one morning.

Concerned for her lack of enthusiasm, and the absence of a cutie mark, her parents reluctantly gave in to their daughter's wish. Years of waiting had finally paid off it seemed. She thanked her parents-- always formally addressing them as Ma'am and Sir-- as they sent her off on a journey to Appleloosa with sufficient funds, food and dress. True, she would miss her home and her friends, but the pain of absence was a risk she had to take. Of this she was certain.

--

Still unsure of where exactly she wanted to go, Remedy stayed in Appleloosa for a few weeks. When she made up her mind, she bought a train ticket and began her journey east.

--

A short rail ride landed her a good walk away from the bustling town of Ponyville. Her stay was short, but she managed to find a traveling companion for the long walk to Canterlot. This new unicorn friend of hers, Molli Bay, sympathized with Remedy's story and offered her a room in her home. Both being fairly new Canterlot residents, they bonded quickly. It was a hasty action neither of them regretted.

Remedy's first arrival in Canterlot was everything she ever dreamed of, and more. The air was crisp, cool, and the fragrance of flowers was around every corner. She heard of the libraries in canterlot; something of a dream. It was here she would learn more about her precious plants. Culture-shock aside, Remedy adapted well-- and quickly. She spent her time wisely and took up a job as a receptionist within one of the smaller Canterlot libraries, where she would take on the task of fixing any dysfunctional clock in the building. "Not being able to tell time is a crime," she would say. After work, Molli Bay and Remedy would talk over tea about their histories and experiences.

One beautiful morning, the two planned a pinic in the White-Tail Wood. It wasn't a place for serious worry, but every terrain had its dangers. One uncoordinated step and a pony could be stuck at the bottom of a muddy ditch. Such was the fate of an unfortunate Molli Bay. With all of her strength, Remedy pulled her unicorn friend to safety. Using her knowledge of Equestrian plant-life, she was able to gather select herbs and grind them into a sticky paste between a boulder and her hoof. She applied the paste onto Molli's legs where she had accumulated many scrapes and scratches from her careless tumble down the slippery hillside. Safe but still in pain, Remedy had no choice but to carry the unicorn back to Canterlot, during which she felt a tingle on her flank but paid it no mind.

When the two returned home, both were glad to see that the swelling of Molli's injuries had gone down. What more was the green fern that had plastered itself onto Remedy's flank. Relieved and excited, she went to bed with the biggest grin on her face. What would her parents think, she thought. Would they be proud? A follow-up letter to her parents in Appleloosa resulted in positive feedback, and that they missed her too.

After saving up for what seemed like ages, Remedy finally opened up a shop of her own in Canterlot called 'A Remedy to Cure'. For several years she has been selling/researching natural ointments and antidotes to cure all kinds of illnesses and ailments known among pony-kind. She has resigned from being a receptionist to focus on her new shop. The library is still her favorite place to go in her free-time.

Though their friendship is still strong, Molli and Remedy find themselves too held up in their new careers to see each other at all. Molli has since moved to Hoofington to take up her dream of fishing. Remedy bought out their former residence to retain the memory of the time spent between them.

With Remedy's passion coming into view as of late, she never once regretted leaving the home she left behind so many miles away. She visits her parents every so often, and they gift her with their latest spring-work creations. In return, she gives them ointment and a variety of tonics-- medicine is a luxury that far out west. You can find Remedy's shop decorated with neat little trinkets such as one-of-a-kind pocket watches and wall clocks. So come stop by. A sore throat? A sprained ankle? Remedy has a cure for everypony!

(I hope that's not too long! Ah~! Thank you for reading!)

RemedyREdit.png

Y'know what?

I like this app - the length is awesome and yet not overstaying it's welcome, you've really put a good amount of time and thinking into just what you want this pony to be, and how you want her to be like without being painstakingly overdetailed...I could really see this character going places in the mane RP.

You might just wanna add Mare to the age though - we're relatively okay with human years of course, but the emphasis is usually on the pony age. :P

Also another small detail is that Rockwington is primarily a Griffon territory - as a result, you might wanna look into other locales just to play it safe.

Other than those small details, I say Good job, I really quite like it - that being said though, if anyone has anything they wanna say here, go ahead!

Thank you very much for your feedback! I wasn't quite sure where her origin should be, but I knew I wanted it to be far away. It may make more sense if she is from Appleloosa. I was considering it but forgot to put it into the final cut! It was a pretty careless mistake. So thank you very much for reminding me, Parasprite! I'd hate to make an un-canon decision because of my general lack of knowledge about the towns. That will change very soon however! *tidies up application*

Edit: I know Appleloosa has a train. I don't suppose anyone knows how far it stretches into the eastern side of the map, if at all?

Edit II: Application updated to say 'Mare' under Age. Her Origin has been changed to 'Appleloosa' and her character summary has been edited to support this new fact. Enjoy!

Edit: I know Appleloosa has a train. I don't suppose anyone knows how far it stretches into the eastern side of the map, if at all?

I believe the user Bannhammer is currently dealing with the railway system under this thread - if you look around there for a while, and perhaps leave questions and ideas for the users there to discuss, you may actually be able to even help shape the way the train map develops overtime! :3

Also, little fun fact - Parasprite is actually the postcount status rather than my username - you can call me Robikku, an' I'm here to help as much as I can, alongside the rest of a very capable and dedicated forum staff - if you have any needs not already mentioned, don't even hesitate to ask us the hard questions! ^^;

Welcome to the boards, BTW. :smirk:

I believe the user Bannhammer is currently dealing with the railway system under this thread - if you look around there for a while, and perhaps leave questions and ideas for the users there to discuss, you may actually be able to even help shape the way the train map develops overtime! :3

Also, little fun fact - Parasprite is actually the postcount status rather than my username - you can call me Robikku, an' I'm here to help as much as I can, alongside the rest of a very capable and dedicated forum staff - if you have any needs not already mentioned, don't even hesitate to ask us the hard questions! ^^;

I will check out the train thread immediately! Thanks for the link! Oh-- and now I feel absolutely silly. See how new I am to this website? I can't even see where everyone's username is!

I see it now though. It's in the bar with the post # in it. Thanks for pointing that out! I'm used to post-count titles being underneath the avatar, not above it. Many thanks, Robikku! And don't worry, if I have any hard questions I'll be sure to shoot you a message. I'm the kind of person who never shies on questions because not-knowing is the absolute WORST! Especially when it comes to RP. Also, thanks for the welcome. :geek:

I'm the kind of person who never shies on questions because not-knowing is the absolute WORST! Especially when it comes to RP.

I absolutely can sympathise with ya there - a lot of basic important details can be found in Getting Started, so you should be able to take care of the little, less-important smudges relating to OC creation, presentation, and application format issues (CLEARLY not relevent here) - But having said, I think you're doing pretty well for a new pony on the block!

Beautiful application! I'm really impressed ^_^

Its always super-encouraging to see such a well thought-out and well made app; i'm excited to see Remedy in the RP, and look forward to having you on the boards :)

Thank you very much for the inspiring words! I do hope to make myself at home here, if you don't mind. I find it very cozy. :kissy:

This is an excellent app!The only thing is according to the show's canon, Appleoosa is only a year or so old. What that means is its fine that she is currently from and lives there but no adult pony could have grown up there. However as I hate to see having any of the app extensively re-writteen because it is so good, I'll provide a map here and a list of other similar drier and/or plains cities.

• Fillydelphia - Located in the middle of the vast Saddleveil Plains; basically the opposite side of the buffalo roaming lands from Appleoosa.
  • Bareback Gutch - Small settlement in the Roughrider Ridge valley, also western, more mining and trade focused
  • Beakbreak City - Larger town in the Roughrider Ridge valley, more industrial though

Other than this one minor detail I feel this app is pretty top notch and ready to be stamped. :D

This is an excellent app!The only thing is according to the show's canon, Appleoosa is only a year or so old. What that means is its fine that she is currently from and lives there but no adult pony could have grown up there. However as I hate to see having any of the app extensively re-writteen because it is so good, I'll provide a map here and a list of other similar drier and/or plains cities.

• Fillydelphia - Located in the middle of the vast Saddleveil Plains; basically the opposite side of the buffalo roaming lands from Appleoosa.
  • Bareback Gutch - Small settlement in the Roughrider Ridge valley, also western, more mining and trade focused
  • Beakbreak City - Larger town in the Roughrider Ridge valley, more industrial though

Other than this one minor detail I feel this app is pretty top notch and ready to be stamped. :D

I think my app's pefect until someone like you comes along.

Thank you for giving me other cities to consider. I'm thinking about Bareback Gutch. It would make sense since there would be a reliable source of metals to make crafts out of. I have her parents being clock/watch/pocketwatch smiths. Naturally, they would make these (at least pocket watches) out of gold/silver. Unless it's a gemstone mining town? Metals would be somewhere in those mountains too, don't you think? :-| I'll change the app so it has her living in Appleloosa for a while before moving on to Canterlot.

I think my app's pefect until someone like you comes along.

Thank you for giving me other cities to consider. I'm thinking about Bareback Gutch. It would make sense since there would be a reliable source of metals to make crafts out of. I have her parents being clock/watch/pocketwatch smiths. Naturally, they would make these (at least pocket watches) out of gold/silver. Unless it's a gemstone mining town? Metals would be somewhere in those mountains too, don't you think? :-| I'll change the app so it has her living in Appleloosa for a while before moving on to Canterlot.

Sorry about that; I only bring it up because the show cannon specified how Appleoosa was only built within the last year (as of the time Braeburn tells the story to AJ, Twi, Rarity, and Fluttershy) meaning the town is brand new (although ponies probably liked in the region for a while, so in addition to the cities I mention you can also say born in the Saddleveil Plains or Painted Pinto Desert). Like I said she and her family could easily live there now.

What is mined around Bareback Gutch is not specified and it was done so this way to allow RPers to decide what kind of miners they want to be if they go that route, so gems, gold, silver, or whatever other mineral or metal of value is all acceptable as mined products.