89 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care about shipping?

• YES, it's important to me!
    • I kind of like it.
    • No, I could care less.
    • I HATE IT!!!!
    • Eh, I don't really mind it really.
    • ...what's shipping?

I don't mind it so much, as long as it's modest. normally, I don't have an opinion either way, but I've seen a lot of good pieces of artwork with discord and celestia. (is it shipping if a character is always rejected? I don't really know much on the subject)

• Like 1

I'm mostly indifferent to it, but I will say the following:

1. That "Ask Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie" tumblr is adorable.

2. Crack pairings are hilarious, until taken seriously. At that point, they are a source of facepalm.

I know what you mean about crack pairings! :lol:

I'll have to take a look at the Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie tumblr myself. Sounds cute. :)

• Like 1

If the show provides good proof of it, and it follows a fairly canon-like logic, I approve of any sort of shipping...except between two members of the Mane 6...

Personally, favorite pairing is Spike and Rarity. I simply believe it's a pairing that follows canon nicely, but can also be quite adorable...

• Like 1

I know what you mean about crack pairings! :lol:

I'll have to take a look at the Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie tumblr myself. Sounds cute. :)

Here it is: Ask Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie.

Back on topic, I feel I have to mention "enemy romance" type shipping. Could somepony please explain why Twilight and Trixie would be all over each other? '-';

• Like 2

I ussaly don't like shipping in other shows. But in MLP FiM it just seems to work better for me. Maybe it because the show already has great character, or maybe it is because they are just fantastically written fic... IDK!!! BUT I LOVE SHIPPING IN MLP FiM.... but I hate clop fics..

• Like 1

Back on topic, I feel I have to mention "enemy romance" type shipping. Could somepony please explain why Twilight and Trixie would be all over each other? '-';

I knew that the Tumblr sounded familiar. It is really cute! :)

But yeah, everyone seems to love Twixie (Twilight x Trixie) a little to much. I mean, why would they all of a sudden date? Other than that, it's okay I guess.

I ussaly don't like shipping in other shows. But in MLP FiM it just seems to work better for me. Maybe it because the show already has great character, or maybe it is because they are just fantastically written fic... IDK!!! BUT I LOVE SHIPPING IN MLP FiM.... but I hate clop fics..

I agree, I don't like other shippings nearly as much as I like MLP shippings (and Sonic shippings). The characters are so well developed! :kissy:

I think it's all about their portmanteau name, "Twixie". Speaking from a personality point though, Trixie/Twilight would both have to completely break character to fall for each other instantly.

As for what I think of shipping:

-Some pieces of art can be cute. Others...not so much. So, for the most part, no difference from any other type of art.

-I've never read a single shipping fiction that I've really liked: most are just junk/mediocre, some would work better as a normal fiction (meaning the relationship was forced) and those that manage to deal with it well usually end up so far removed from the spirit of the show that I can't really consider it as a Friendship is Magic fiction.

My number one gripe of shipping fan fictions is that 99% of the time, the characters ALREADY love each other, and are essentially working to admit it to each other.

One of the most interesting parts should be seeing the characters fall for each other. Yet this is rarely ever brought up and instead I get "I've loved you since episode 2". Blergh. :green:

There's also stuff like love triangles, break-ups and unfaithfulness that could be used, but these are generally ignored either because of "OTP!!" mentality or because the author doubts their ability to handle the characters well.

Of course, that's not even scratching the surface of the problems I have with them. Another major issue is that established characters get their personalities and capabilities shoved out of the way for a generic/plain/BAD romance. I've read many AppleDash fictions that completely ignore/sideline that the 2 are competitive with each other, among other things. By contrast, I once read a "normal" fan fic that happened to focus on Applejack and Dash, and it was considerably more amusing and in-line with their personalities, so much, in fact, that it felt like the closest "good" shipping fic between the 2 to me, even though it was just friendshippy.

Maybe I just don't like shipping fics, but I feel there's potential that's just being ignored here. :sleep:

Also, despite everything I said, I still think grimdark is worse. :mad:

-I don't really think there is that much difference with shipping music and other music. :?

It's personal opinion. i like shipping but that too is a personal opinion. But caramel and big mac oh my god...it's just so adorable i could eat three bowls of rice with it.

Yeah, it's all based on opinions, so it shouldn't be taken to seriously. As for Big Mac and Caramel, are they related or not? I never figured that out. I'm not too much into same-sex shipping, but I don't care either. But it is a little confusing why almost every shipping is female-on-female, but it's probably because of the fact that there are very little male characters in the show.

I think it's all about their portmanteau name, "Twixie". Speaking from a personality point though, Trixie/Twilight would both have to completely break character to fall for each other instantly.

As for what I think of shipping:

-Some pieces of art can be cute. Others...not so much. So, for the most part, no difference from any other type of art.

-I've never read a single shipping fiction that I've really liked: most are just junk/mediocre, some would work better as a normal fiction (meaning the relationship was forced) and those that manage to deal with it well usually end up so far removed from the spirit of the show that I can't really consider it as a Friendship is Magic fiction.

My number one gripe of shipping fan fictions is that 99% of the time, the characters ALREADY love each other, and are essentially working to admit it to each other.

One of the most interesting parts should be seeing the characters fall for each other. Yet this is rarely ever brought up and instead I get "I've loved you since episode 2". Blergh. :green:

There's also stuff like love triangles, break-ups and unfaithfulness that could be used, but these are generally ignored either because of "OTP!!" mentality or because the author doubts their ability to handle the characters well.

Of course, that's not even scratching the surface of the problems I have with them. Another major issue is that established characters get their personalities and capabilities shoved out of the way for a generic/plain/BAD romance. I've read many AppleDash fictions that completely ignore/sideline that the 2 are competitive with each other, among other things. By contrast, I once read a "normal" fan fic that happened to focus on Applejack and Dash, and it was considerably more amusing and in-line with their personalities, so much, in fact, that it felt like the closest "good" shipping fic between the 2 to me, even though it was just friendshippy.

Maybe I just don't like shipping fics, but I feel there's potential that's just being ignored here. :sleep:

Also, despite everything I said, I still think grimdark is worse. :mad:

-I don't really think there is that much difference with shipping music and other music. :?

Yup, some ship-fics are pretty forced. And grimdark is just plain messed up a lot of the time, but not every single one is bad (Fallout: Equestria). If you want to find a none-forced ship fic, read "Flutterheart". It's very well written and would have to be my favorite. :) Plus, I know the author pretty well, I'd say were friends! :D

Honestly, I never really liked shipping much. When I was a part of the Homestuck fandom, I hated it.

But now, in the MLP Fandom, I absolutely love it. It may be because we have better artists, or writers, but I just simply love it. Literally, some of the fanfics I have read have made me cry. Also, some of the artwork I have seen has made me audibly D'AWW. I think I like it more simply because it's just cuter! It's simply adorable.

Honestly, I never really liked shipping much. When I was a part of the Homestuck fandom, I hated it.

But now, in the MLP Fandom, I absolutely love it. It may be because we have better artists, or writers, but I just simply love it. Literally, some of the fanfics I have read have made me cry. Also, some of the artwork I have seen has made me audibly D'AWW. I think I like it more simply because it's just cuter! It's simply adorable.

I think it might be the fact that the fans are much more dedicated to this fandom than pretty much any fandom out there! I mean, you've seen a of the Youtube videos of ponies, most of them are very well made and were put a lot of time into. It's no different with the fanfics really.

By the way, what's Homestuck?

If the show provides good proof of it, and it follows a fairly canon-like logic, I approve of any sort of shipping...except between two members of the Mane 6...

Personally, favorite pairing is Spike and Rarity. I simply believe it's a pairing that follows canon nicely, but can also be quite adorable...

Yeah, canon proof does help a lot.

I think it might be the fact that the fans are much more dedicated to this fandom than pretty much any fandom out there! I mean, you've seen a of the Youtube videos of ponies, most of them are very well made and were put a lot of time into. It's no different with the fanfics really.

By the way, what's Homestuck?

It's kind of like a webcomic. But it's got a very in depth story, and it's presented as if it was an old text-based adventure game. I haven't read any of the recent updates, but it could be up your alley.