Ponyarchive just Received a Cease and Desist Message...

Thoth

Yes, it's true.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/12/ponyarchive-recieves-cease-desist.html#comment-form

Very unfortunate, and this may ultimately prove it's Hasbro that's cracking down on the episode removal...

I honestly cannot understand any of this right now, but I'll let you guys discuss for now. All I can add is, very unfortunate, and I have a bad feeling this is a sign for even worse to come regarding Hub-less Bronies...

Truth be told, this doesn't affect me much for the fact that I watch episodes on Youtube (Or, if I can catch them on The Hub every once in a while).

However, this is definitely not good for the Brony community....It isn't a good time for things to come, either. After all, with "HASBRO" taking down episodes on Youtube, and this happening, and with that Protect IP Bill closing in....something bad is just itching to happen...

It's always been trolls taking down the youtube episodes, so assuming that this time it really is Hasbro is somewhat pessimistic since it means they've been ridiculously slow on the uptake.

My guess is that they're going after these torrents because they're essentially the iTunes-versions except free.

Youtube versions of the episodes have artifacts, watermarks and lower quality. I'm guessing they don't realize that we can download those, either.

Live streamings are most likely impossible to pin down.

And there are MANY other sites who still have torrents of watermarkless-versions of the episodes. And there probably always will be.

Hasbro has been turning a blind eye for us when it comes to most of the above and they have every legal right to tell us that: "No, you can't host/torrent that." Because it's illegal. It's always been.

If your source of pony episodes is taken down, then adapt and find a new source.

Better yet, if you have access to the US iTunes store, BUY the actual episodes and feel good knowing you're supporting the show and legally own those episodes.

There's really nothing more I think I can write about this. :/ It's basically "Deal with it."

Update:

Hi! So, uh, I'm a PonyArchive admin. I just sent an email to Seth, and in case he decides to not post it, I figured I'd put it here:

Hay there Seth! Or Cereal or Phoe or Tek I guess.

I just felt I should write in with an update on what's going on. I've been an admin on the site for a few months now, my tasks have primarily been managing donations as well as managing some videos on the site. I've decided to leave PonyArchive due to differences of opinion on how to react to this; personally, I think keeping up a good relationship between Hasbro and the fanbase is more important than keeping the site up, while the two founders of the site have decided that they're gonna keep going despite the takedown notice.

My own personal stance on this is that I can see where Hasbro is coming from, with DVDs being released and the show up on iTunes. On one hand, I'm pretty sure they're gaining more from PonyArchive than they're losing (Lord knows I've bought more than one or two toys since coming onboard), but on the other hand, it's their copyright and if they want the site down, then I think that's their decision to make. This is why I've decided to leave the site.

Epic brohoof and much love,

simonAJ from PonyArchive

So despite the Cease and Desist, they're keeping the site up. Some admin(s) just decided that they would rather respect Hasbro's wishes.

I'm gonna say the same thing I said on ED:

Ashton said...

You gotta laugh a little at how all distrobution systems see "Our Country vs Not Our Country" (Dont think iTunes/USA is the only one, BBC is limited live streams to UK now and sure there are others)

Personally, I think this is a stupid move as there are so many bronies outside the USA who have no legal means of watching it. Once again a company is unintentionally saying "I only want american fans"

Also, keep in mind, we are not little girls (well AFAIK, some of you may be but certainly not most) so hasbro doesnt give two s***s about us. Even if we are buying merchandise we are not the target so they ignore us. Hasbro does NOT want MLP to become an "all ages" franchise, and chances are good they will KILL it upon end of S3 to ensure adults stop watching it (they already removed Faust from the project to slow it down!) Remember "No profit is better than somone else making profit"

Anyway... the TLDR version:

You cant stop piracy, every dig around more and you'll still find ponies, but this is the first sign that Hasbro has it in for us, get ready for the storm.

I gotta agree on taking the episodes down, however.

After all, it IS illegal. I simply watch it on Youtube, so this doesn't affect me, but I can see why Hasbro wants these down. As the last few guys have said before me, this is in fact illegal. Torrents, piracy, etc.

So, while I completely understand, it's an unfortunate loss in the Brony community. I also don't agree on the decision to keep the site up....but hey, to each man his own consequence for his actions.

Unfortunate, but indeed the right call on Hasbro's side...

After all, it IS illegal. I simply watch it on Youtube,

You do realize your being a hypocrit, right? youtube is just as illegal as the other sites, it's just so low-quality most people ignore it and just chase down the HD sources.

You do realize your being a hypocrit, right? youtube is just as illegal as the other sites, it's just so low-quality most people ignore it and just chase down the HD sources.

Youtube isn't exactly "low quality" by any means. The videos on Youtube go up to 1080p, at 128kb/sec bitrate with sound. Most of the episodes on Youtube DO have watermarks, but so does television. So for most, it's really the same. Let me show you a video I uploaded to Youtube. I used Sony Vegas Pro to correct it, sharpen, saturate, and such. It looks amazing. In fact, it's Blu-ray quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7aCsvEak1w&context=C2a2baADOEgsToPDskJvtSMDOGTUNKg7BLC6ka5Z

Make sure to watch it in 1080p.

So that's my point, Youtube isn't necessarily VERY BAD quality.

Youtube isn't exactly "low quality" by any means. The videos on Youtube go up to 1080p, at 128kb/sec bitrate with sound. Most of the episodes on Youtube DO have watermarks, but so does television. So for most, it's really the same. Let me show you a video I uploaded to Youtube. I used Sony Vegas Pro to correct it, sharpen, saturate, and such. It looks amazing. In fact, it's Blu-ray quality.

Make sure to watch it in 1080p.

So that's my point, Youtube isn't necessarily VERY BAD quality.

Very nice, though there is a little aliasing at the end on the spires, and it's not standard 16:9 (my monitor is 16:9/1080p and I had black bars on top/bottom) but the latter might be Youtube's own formatting issues.

I keep forgeting Youtube went HD, most of it's life it's been 280p or at best 480p so it's easy to forget they now go upto 1080p (of course this is only agreeing that Hasbro should kill youtube too so...)

(*makes note of how well video is done and curses not learning After Effects*)

Very nice, though there is a little aliasing at the end on the spires, and it's not standard 16:9 (my monitor is 16:9/1080p and I had black bars on top/bottom) but the latter might be Youtube's own formatting issues.

I keep forgeting Youtube went HD, most of it's life it's been 280p or at best 480p so it's easy to forget they now go upto 1080p (of course this is only agreeing that Hasbro should kill youtube too so...)

(*makes note of how well video is done and curses not learning After Effects*)

The video itself is 1920x1080, which IS 16:9. The black bars were a rendering issue with Vegas Pro that I had. My newer videos won't have them though. If you have any requests for clips or songs, just PM me and I can upload them!

The video itself is 1920x1080, which IS 16:9. The black bars were a rendering issue with Vegas Pro that I had. My newer videos won't have them though. If you have any requests for clips or songs, just PM me and I can upload them!

I figured it was a bug, the actual video wasnt fitting any aspect ratio I know of, and I've seen a 1080p video of that episode. In that case, the *only* issue was a touch of aliasing and that was because I was specifially looking for flaws, most would never notice it.

Thanks I appreciate it, though so far I've gotten all the episodes, the fun part comes later if I ever get my animation program working and have to hunt down sound bytes...

Mu issue with the iTunes episodes is it forces you to use the iTunes app each time, therefore tying you to the application. I am hoping for full season DVD/Blue-Ray sets for each season; that I will be more than happy to purchase.

Mu issue with the iTunes episodes is it forces you to use the iTunes app each time, therefore tying you to the application. I am hoping for full season DVD/Blue-Ray sets for each season; that I will be more than happy to purchase.

oh sweet celestia, do not get me started on my hatred of Apple's DRM. I loved my iTouch, I loved my iPad, but ultimately because of iTunes/DRM I'm now using an Asus eeePad and an HTC EVO 4G... (and honestly other than the keyboard/USB I'd rather have my iPad back, far superior device --- but I cant live with iTunes anymore) I understand apple's stance, but there are less destructive ways to impliment DRM... (not to mention all me non-DRM music I've ripped from CDs or gotten off amazon or w/e NEVER shows up with the right artist/title/etc in iTunes and over 15 years I've gotten a LOT of music...)

The one thing I want to say about this that hasn't really been emphasized is that this is a major fork in the road for the integrity of the fandom. Since this takedown notice, several bronies have been twittering and posting replies on all sorts of social networking pony sites of their frustration with Hasbro. Granted it's not Hasbro themselves, it's more likely a legal team they hired. But how can so many of us go from loving this cartoon through and through to totally bashing people they don't even know for taking down a site that offers free downloads for their episodes they sell on itunes.

If the issue is legality, everypony here knows the story.

But the more untold story is the integrity of the community. If Hasbro asks us to take down episodes, WE TAKE DOWN EPISODES. It's simple as that. We keep justifying our plans of watching ponies on youtube and downloading them using torrents, and we keep barking different legalities and troll claiming. That's not the point. If a friend asked you to pay back the $5 you owe them, you don't say "Legally, I don't have to." YOU GIVE HIM THE $5 BACK! It's a message of ethics, and I think a lot of people are so focused on the piracy and 'freedom' of the internet, that they are turning themselves completely blind to the right thing to do.

For anyone who questions the reality of this article, I've read the e-mail and reply myself and talked in IRC with several of the PA mods and admins. It's definitely a mess. I even chatted with SimonAJ, and he said he didn't have a problem with the legality of it, he's upset that the requests to take down the episodes from the firm that is allowed to ask was not only ignored, but rudely replied to.

http://bronynews.com...-their-response

People are making this an issue of being able to get downloads of pony episodes, when really this is more about the well-being of the fandom.

• Like 3

I even chatted with SimonAJ, and he said he didn't have a problem with the legality of it, he's upset that the requests to take down the episodes from the firm that is allowed to ask was not only ignored, but rudely replied to.

http://bronynews.com...-their-response

People are making this an issue of being able to get downloads of pony episodes, when really this is more about the well-being of the fandom.

Yeah, this has the be the stupidest reply ever:

Thanks for your consern(sic). Since we are merely spreading friendship and

magic we feel that we're protected by princess Celestia herself. (<-- wut)

Also, we are not based in the US - so US law does not apply to us.

Except the server and the ISP that hosts said server is located in the United States, in San Francisco to be precise. So yeah, getting that shut down is rather easy (although they could just relocate to a foreign ISP, given the 10 days).

It is sad Hasbro isn't allowing at least the Youtube videos to continue unhindered. For many fans (and future likely potential customers), this is the only way to watch the show as they get neither the Hub (much of the US ad all of the rest of the world), nor can they purchase the iTunes downloads (basically anyone outside the US). Even if they can purchase iTunes downloads, many folks have an ethical aversion to how Apple handles DRM (in short, you don't own the copy you bought).

This i

Also, keep in mind, we are not little girls (well AFAIK, some of you may be but certainly not most) so hasbro doesnt give two s***s about us. Even if we are buying merchandise we are not the target so they ignore us. Hasbro does NOT want MLP to become an "all ages" franchise, and chances are good they will KILL it upon end of S3 to ensure adults stop watching it (they already removed Faust from the project to slow it down!) Remember "No profit is better than somone else making profit"

Anyway... the TLDR version:

You cant stop piracy, every dig around more and you'll still find ponies, but this is the first sign that Hasbro has it in for us, get ready for the storm.

You can rest assured that a Hasbro will happily accept any money so long as its green. Why would hasbro kill a profitable franchise? Because adults are buying their stuff? It makes no sense. There's no risk of MLP ever becoming a franchise solely for adults. Even if we outnumbered the child audience, the show got us watching to begin with doing what it's doing right now.

There's zero evidence at all that Faust was removed from anything. She says she quit of her own volition, and moreover, insists that her relationship with Hasbro was very good.

"No profit is better than somone else making profit"

A more common saying: "Profit is profit." The people running Hasbro just want to get rich, like most everybody else. They're not going to harm their own profit just to spite us. It's not in their best interests.

Hasbro doesn't have it in for us, they just feel that they can make more money selling episodes than giving them away.

Me I cant stand Itunes and I cant use it anyway as I dont use windows or a mac.

I use Linux so less then legal methods for me are needed.

This is why syndication makes so much sense. And the confirmation of at least 65 episodes in this show are being made proves that they are trying their best to get the word on the street that ponies are the new thing. And hopefully by that time, Hasbro is willing to come out with some brony-material for us to properly show our financial appreciation of the show. Until then, let's try to keep from biting the hand that feeds us.

This is why syndication makes so much sense. And the confirmation of at least 65 episodes in this show are being made proves that they are trying their best to get the word on the street that ponies are the new thing. And hopefully by that time, Hasbro is willing to come out with some brony-material for us to properly show our financial appreciation of the show. Until then, let's try to keep from biting the hand that feeds us.

Soo.. If one can't get the Hub, or the iTunes episodes because of geographical or media restrictions (or just will not accept Apple's crazy rules), they should not attempt to watch any episodes on Youtube and instead are out of luck and have to wait until the show will be franchise to a network in their location (hopefully) in Fall of 2013 (or if we are lucky, DVD of season one next year)?

Its a two way street. It is why Hasbro show allow the Youttube videos to at least stand so people can become or stay interested, I get the shutting down of Ponyarchives, but maybe Hasbro shouldn't bite the hand that will feed them by going after everyone.

Yeah thing is that a lot of us dont get the hub, and or cant/wont use itunes.

Youtube is a good source for ponies right now and you can always install firefox if you dont have it and use its downloadhelper extension to preserve your ponies on your hard drive.

Of course there are even less "legal" ways to do it, but if I have to do it so be it.

I guess I can understand them taking down the archives, because that was a way for people to download, keep, share episodes for free. Eventually Hasbro might have a loss that way. Youtube, on the other hand, doesn't involve any downloading, so viewers aren't getting anything 'to keep', and makes much more sense as a marketing device. Therefore, although the Ponyarchive thing doesn't worry me too much, the fact that some Youtube channels have been taken down worries me more. Before we said it was trolls, but with this message being sent, who's to say?

Also, keeping the archive up was a stupid idea in my opinion, and that idiotic response they sent only made it worse. We definitely don't want to start a war here.

This whole thing seems ominous. It makes me anxious for the future of ponies, and more specifically for people like me, outside of the US, who would happily buy episodes from iTunes if only they were able...