Derpy Hooves now canon.

Whitehawke

She called Cutie Marks "Butt symbols". :D

Yeah. That's because what they were called until 2003. Officially just symbols, but I don't know ANYONE that didn't call it a butt-symbol. The marketing team that came up with calling it a "cutie mark".... *shakes fist*

That is always the problem though, when something like this is added to the show for the fans; there will always be that group that will howl and wail so they can get attention because the character wasn't the same as their personal ideal.

Well, we already witnessed the very same attitude after Luna Eclipsed when Luna hath returned. The reason for outcry: Many bronies expected to see her beloved Woona, a taller, blue, royal, horned version of cute little Fluttershy. Preferably in socks. What they got was the exact opposite. Not yay, but TRADITIONAL ROYAL CANTERLOT VOICE.

Yeah. That's because what they were called until 2003. Officially just symbols, but I don't know ANYONE that didn't call it a butt-symbol. The marketing team that came up with calling it a "cutie mark".... *shakes fist*

So, having known nothing but "cutie mark" for as long as I have cared about MLP, I don't quite understand your beef with it. "butt-symbol" is at least as lame, in a completely different way.

Well, we already witnessed the very same attitude after Luna Eclipsed when Luna hath returned. The reason for outcry: Many bronies expected to see her beloved Woona, a taller, blue, royal, horned version of cute little Fluttershy. Preferably in socks. What they got was the exact opposite. Not yay, but TRADITIONAL ROYAL CANTERLOT VOICE.

Oh wahhh, as cute as I think Woona is, when I watched (and re-watched) the Luna story I realized that how they wrote her really did make the most sense, given what she is (princess of the night) and her past (Nightmare Moon). I don't get why people cannot figure that out.

I never got the vibe that Derpy was mentally retarded in any way. She's clumsy and accident prone. When I'm clumsy I personally say I'm "derping out." I suppose my counter-argument to the folks saying Studio B was taking a swing at mentally handicapped is that they're following a horrid stereotype and not even realizing it.

If she didn't act that way, a lot of fans would be mad that Studio B ruined the character for us. They couldn't win in either case, so they indulged it, and I think it made a greater positive stir with the fans in the end. I know that I've been thrilled since last Saturday, and more excited about FiM and what we can expect in the future (easter egg or in-our-faces) as a result.

While understand how some people can be offended by Derpy's characterization, what I don't get is how people seem to blame this on Studio-B and Hasbro instead of the brony community itself. Every trait ascribed to Derpy aside from her appearance as blonde-maned, grey pegasus with a bubble cutie mark was created by the fandom. We're the ones that gave her a clumsy personality, a love of muffins, a goofy voice and an offensive name. Even her 'derp' eyes are product of the fanon as it wasn't until her appearance in 'Feeling Pinkie Keen' that it became a permanent part of her appearance. And this is the interpretation that the fans desperately wanted to see appear as canon, so if Derpy sparks overwhelming criticism for the misrepresentation of the mentally handicapped, we have no one to blame but ourselves for not realizing the offensive stereotype and pushing the show’s creators to include it in the series.

• Like 1

^AH! YES!

However, I can see how calling Derpy can be viewed in a...worse light.

I almost lost it when I read Derpy Hooves' Wiki page, and it said she "spoke like someone with Autism". I quickly deleted that, because frankly, WHY DO WE RELATE THESE THINGS?

Perhaps that image above me could explain better, about the fact of how Derpy rather teaches us something. In fact, I love how Derpy is characterized because of the fact that it reminds me of a character I've seen before. His name was Ed, from 'Ed, Edd, n Eddy'. Voiced by our favorite Wonderbolt, Soarin'.

He was a big lug, who always meant well but spoke slow and acted slow. He had moments, and always meant his best to his friends, even when accidentally doing wrong or wrecking things. Derpy seems to be designed in the same way, which I like.

Of course, I may be thinking too deep. Just remember, the name is NOT about autism. That's a TERRIBLE way to look at it. It's just the name of a character in a cartoon. We LOVE these characters. Lets not flame the character or the creators for the name "Derpy", and enjoy how far we've come. From a small, unintentional animation error to our very own character, I believe this needs to be CELEBRATED, not hated!

They lost me when they started to you PC buzzwords like "albeist". That second picture really explains how most people see Derpy. Look at the images of her in the fandom; she is the loving mother of one (later two), goofy companion (and sometimes girlfriend/lover/wife) of Dr. Whooves), the silly character that does silly things we all have done one time or another. We all been Derpy. People don't look down on Derpy, they adore her, some even have crushes on her judging from the fics I have read and pictures I have seen.

Some people are never satisfied, like those with Luna when she appeared as all confident, dark, and gothic (Well duh, she is the princess of the night, sorry she wasn't the all submissive lil' Wooona :P), because they form that ideal, and then when the character isn't that way in canon they get all pissy their personal version wasn't the right one. Others like the person who made that first pic, is one of those who is always looking for something to be outraged about (you know, the type that go to movies just to get outraged at the slightest un-PC scene and never enjoys anything other than to yell and rant about "injustice" on the blogosphere).

Of course, I may be thinking too deep. Just remember, the name is NOT about autism. That's a TERRIBLE way to look at it. It's just the name of a character in a cartoon. We LOVE these characters. Lets not flame the character or the creators for the name "Derpy", and enjoy how far we've come. From a small, unintentional animation error to our very own character, I believe this needs to be CELEBRATED, not hated!

That image with Zecora is great. I think the term "autism" is used way too much around the internet, and it only suggests ignorance of the person that uses it to define mental retardation. There's a HUGE difference between mental retardation and autism spectrum disorder. Mental retardation means that your brain thinks slower than usual -- it's defined like "thinking in molasses." A person challenged with autism has a brain that thinks and processes information differently. When they have trouble doing that, they might perform a coping behavior which might be negative or socially awkward -- and the range of this developmental disorder is absolutely huge.

I find it interesting that one goofy background character gets a voice, and there's outrage about her mental status. Entire series are designed around goofy characters with lower-than-average intelligence. Remember Two Stupid Dogs? Ed Edd And Eddy is another contender. Howzabout Ren and Stimpy? There's dozens -- if not hundreds -- more characters that have similar traits that Derpy has, and I don't see anyone crying "autism" about those.

^I fully agree! Everyone is fine with a character like Ed or Patrick and don't cry out when they sound "slow" or are goofy, but then people cry out about autism and "offensive names and terms" when a background character is named "Derpy" and is given a...rather "slow-sounding" voice.

Frankly, I like that Zecora image. Derpy can truly provide us with her own lesson. We're all clumsy at one point or another. We break things apart, are a bit slow to a point, and even make the moves that a rather wall-eyed pony would be suited to do instead. However, the tenacity (Gesundheit :blah: ) is what makes us know we'll eventually get it. Perhaps that's what to learn from Derpy.

In fact, without the Bronies' tenacity of support, this character wouldn't have even APPEARED again! In fact, this SHOW wouldn't have gotten so big without our tenacity! We wouldn't have won all those polls, or gotten an all-pony marathon onto The Hub. We wouldn't have gotten so much recognition! It's about TENACITY. Derpy is the symbol of tenacity. The "go get it" attitude. Not only that, Derpy is US! She shows our tenacity, to never stop trying to get it done!

Derpy IS the Bronies, and the whole awesome crew at Studio B knows it!

Let's not see the possible BAD of this, but see how this pays tribute to us! Think of it, the guys working on the show we CONSTANTLY SUPPORT are paying homage to us! They're paying us back!

As they say, don't bite the hand that feeds us...

• Like 1

429723_141767019274030_100003221994868_168472_1937063509_n.jpg

This first image annoys me. I am all for not making fun, excluding or oppressing people for things they can't control about their functionality, but basically because there will always be jerks in the world, and words that were once considered politically correct become slurs and leave a trail of previously widely used terms (in legal, and scientific usages) in its wake that are now considered offensive. You can apply negative connotation to whatever you want, but it's only the most recent buzzword that people decide to attack in weird manipulative manners like that first picture, and crusade against it. But Stupid, Idiot, Moron, Dunce, etc, all at one time meant various degrees of mental disability, and people use them without batting an eye (or starting a facebook petition). Even Daffy is a synonym for insane (which is fitting because Daffy Duck IS insane.)

People can talk about exclusion and how usage of words is derogatory, but really, until you change people's way of always setting up an "us vs. them" scenario for most aspects of their lives, declaring certain words off-limits isn't going to change the judgements they hold at all. They'll just come up with new words that are perceived as just as hateful. Basically the second you point out any kind of "us vs. them" difference by using a certain term no matter who the "us" or "them" IS, and you attach a negative connotation to it, it becomes a slur unless embraced by the "them". I guess maybe it's just partially the totally lazy activism of people who post an image like that that makes me mad. If it bothers you, actually DO something about it. Volunteer to talk at schools or social programs about how hurtful you feel something is (you know, with actual data backing you up, polls and whatnot), donate money to causes. CHANGE the public, don't just post a half-flanked thing meant to guilt people that you came up with in a few minutes to make yourself feel superior to other people on the internet.

But really. There needs to be a word for when a person with learning abilities and brain functionality within the realm of what is considered completely normal just does something completely careless just because they spaced out. And Derp seems suitable and less cumbersome than "my-brain-spaced-out-and-made-me-lose-all-of-the-sense-I-normally-have-at-the-moment-y". Or next thing you know glitch is going to be considered offensive too.

I personally just though Derpy's slow voice just indicated a pony who was VERY unsure of herself. Probably, i dunno, because she keeps dropping and breaking stuff to the chagrin of others. I know I'd probably speak in much the same way if I kept dropping things in front of a brash, impatient pony like Rainbow Dash and she used that exasperated tone of voice with me the entire time.

Plus she seems young and just SUPER careless. A little too rambunctious. Like a socially awkward teenage girl who turns out just fine in life, but makes an ass of herself the first time she hangs out with the kids she looks up to because she's just SO excited.

And she got hit in the head with lightning a few times there. Even with Pegasus inherent weather magic that's gotta temporarily scatter the electrical currents in the brain.

Also, from IMDB:

name.png Tabitha St. Germain ...

Rarity / Granny Smith / Derpy Hooves (voice)

DERPY HAS AN IMDB PAGE NOW: http://www.imdb.com/...cter/ch0289473/

The way I see it it was only Derpy's first line that would lead one to assume she had a mental defect, rather than being one who was overly clumsy. She could even just be a Cloud Cuckoolander (Which I hope, heh), by how it seems she wouldn't see anything wrong with bouncing on a lightning cloud since it was fun and how letting go of a ledge to perform a cheer would make her fall.

Derpy is silly pony.

I feel my heart literally sink every time I see somebody getting uppity and associating Derpy with all of these hideous judgements on her, but at the same time it makes my blood boil. So many people on the other side of this debate grip me with fear of what entertainment will become if they increase with their incessant complaints and sickeningly over-the-top political correctness. To discover that the creator of The Last Roundup has actually faced hatemail regarding that episode, alongside talk that she herself is a mother to a severely developmentally disabled child; petitions to "make" the creators of MLP FiM "apologise" for Derpy... I have no words for it.

I've debated this until I've been blue in the face with people on another pony forum, (believe me this forum is like a breath of fresh air in contrast to the other one) and at this point I just give in.

I will not engage with anyone who wants to blast me with their opinions on Derpy or "how they feel" about her. I don't care what they think about her.

I am, however, in the process of creating a Derpy comic strip. ^_^ It's something along the lines of Derpy "becoming more powerful than you can possibly imagine." <3.

• Like 1

Tabitha St. Germain thought Derpy was male (she never saw a drawing), and based Derpy's voice on a neighbor boy who was going through puberty and growing like a tree (and thus awkward and clumsy).

PU32W.png

Also she stated she got mostly positive feedback from fans and the hate mail was just a minority. Its all here.

A petition to make Studio B apologize? Really? That's extermely disappointing.

I think my biggest fear is they might decide to yoink out any future inclusion of Derpy if this sort of reaction is something they want to avoid. Some folks really are too sensitive to stuff like this, and they're too caught up looking for reasons to be offended when they should be happy that the brony fandom got a concrete brohoof from the creators with a character that was OUR creation.

• Like 1

Lol whatever happens to the show I'm fine with it. I can understand why others would feel distraught or disturbed at what Hasbro does. In the end, we create nothing. All copyrights belong to them. We only give it life. Though we may have a say in stuff, I don't think Hasbro or Studio B would bend to our whims...

I'm happy with what we have. Derpy's voice was a bit off with me but don't a lot of girls kinda sound like guys? Ah well... my few cents...

I still think Derpy was done perfectly and that everything fits appropriately. I also feel that this may be unprecedented for the impact that fans have had on a show. Being a Trekkie I know that communication from these shows is usually a one way street.

Here we have one that's responsive to the community of fans! It boggles the mind. Certainly a sign of the times.

Tabitha St. Germain thought Derpy was male (she never saw a drawing), and based Derpy's voice on a neighbor boy who was going through puberty and growing like a tree (and thus awkward and clumsy).

PU32W.png

Also she stated she got mostly positive feedback from fans and the hate mail was just a minority. Its all here.

This explains why Bon-Bon got 3 different voices - because the supervisor didn't know at that stage that they would use her (or the animator didn't know).

i dont mind the name derpy that much its made by the community and i have a very light form of autism myself i dont feel insulted so if she a bit clusmy en she has strange eyes i dont care frankly i just love the character for who she is doenst all cartoons from the 90's (rip 90's :'( ) had strange characters somtimes with an handicap i cant name one atm but the sure where some

derpy is just a name not an insult to me we named her so we have to deal with it and yes we love her because we love clumsy characters dindt we love psycho twilight in lesson zero or mad pinkie in party of one i lolled very hard with those episodes and derpy is just a little hidden gem inside the cartoons itself wich real fans always seem to spot

point is people love crazy chars (mlp - fim is full of em :P ) and derpy is one of my favorite pony's she may not be one of the mane 6 and i hope it stays that way and keep more to the background then in the last round up cause the she will keep being love by us if we put her in every episode the fun gets away very fast so hasbro plz put derpy more in the background plz and not anymore like in the last roundup cuase that was way to obvious we know she canon now so she can get back to being the normal clutz again and not one who is constantly around