"Do You Believe in Magic" or "Keeping Your Inner Child Alive"

Guest HipsterRarity

Guest HipsterRarity

This thread is what you make of it. There are no definitive right answers, no limits. It's pure curiosity on my part. How many of you still believe in things that logic or others tell you you shouldn't? What are these things? Et cetera, et cetera...

With all the mysteries that remain in our universe despite all of our powerful technology, I believe that magic or some derivative does exist somewhere, maybe with some undiscovered species with a heretofore unthinkable connection with the cosmos and its environment. I also believe that black holes lead to different universes, and that Santa Claus does exist in some form ;) Feel free to share!

ah, I've never been the type to believe in things like this, but I wish I was. even as a kid I didn't really believe in things like ghosts or magic.

when I was little, I thought kids were supposed to be afraid of things like lightning or monsters in the closet, so whenever other people were around I'd pretend I was scared because I didn't want to seem like a weirdo. the same for things like santa or magic. I'd pretend that I believed in them for the same reason.

Guest HipsterRarity

See I find that fascinating! Everyone works so differently. I was the exact opposite. When other children at school would make fun of me for still believing in Santa, I pitied them and wished that they would find Christmas cheer. I still can't watch scary films without covering my eyes during the parts I know that something will jump out, but I go to them just the same. Thanks for the answer!

Guest HipsterRarity

I believe in Multiverse Theory. Therefore, everything exists. Absolutely everything. The thought of more fantastic planes of reality actually being there, somehow, someway. It keeps me alive.

We live by who we are and by what we believe, but are defined by what we allow ourselves to dream and whom we aspire to be. I adore your post, I truly do.

I define myself as a part of the 'scientist guys'. I studied basics of physics, chemistry, and now informatics. To me, everything is logical (Even if I don't personally understand how stuff works, it MUST work with some sort of logical events), and even if I'm more agnostic than atheist, if I had to choose one thing to belive in, it would be spirits (Animism).

Is it something wrong with me? Is this 'paradox' between brain and deep beliefs normal? Is it bad to belive in magic in a world with less and less 'unknown' parts, that made the humanity thinks about witches?

~I'm not sure if the way I'm explaining this is very clear, but I think you'll get the idea...

Anyway, as HipsterRarity asked, what do YOU think? (That may help me understand what's wrong with me...)

I am spiritual person.

To say that I believe spiritual forces, both good and evil, exist and effect us, is unfortunately distracting.

I focus instead on my relationships with God, and with others.

I define myself as a part of the 'scientist guys'. I studied basics of physics, chemistry, and now informatics. To me, everything is logical (Even if I don't personally understand how stuff works, it MUST work with some sort of logical events), and even if I'm more agnostic than atheist, if I had to choose one thing to belive in, it would be spirits (Animism).

Is it something wrong with me? Is this 'paradox' between brain and deep beliefs normal? Is it bad to belive in magic in a world with less and less 'unknown' parts, that made the humanity thinks about witches?

~I'm not sure if the way I'm explaining this is very clear, but I think you'll get the idea...

Anyway, as HipsterRarity asked, what do YOU think? (That may help me understand what's wrong with me...)

Logic and emotion are both important and though it is not always possible to reconcile them, trying to do so is a valuable experience. There is not something wrong with you. Keep searching!

• Like 2

Guest HipsterRarity

Essentially this is a little about self-discovery and a lot about sharing. Does what I said actually mean anything? That's up to you ;) But the responses so far are more intriguing than I could have hoped for.

Guest HipsterRarity

My, it seems we have a lot of logical ponies around here. I would have assumed the opposite! Thank you everyone who has shared so far! And I laughed at the video :D

Also, Chuck E. Cheese taught me that sometimes what you imagine comes true. Giant rats really will follow you and try to give you hugs while you're screaming.

I don't believe in anything except two things, one there is always some good in every person and two your never too old to grow up. I believe being childish keeps us sane, I don't know if I would sane if I wasn't immature sometimes and I don't really care if people call me childish or immature. As for good in every person no matter how angry or insensitive they may be there's always something, often it's just a facade that person had put up for some reason or another and that we should try to always look past these small things.

I'm in the same boat - trying to find a reason behind everything. I'm agnostic, believing that a God does exist in some shape or form but whatever it is is completely incomprehensible by humans. But at the same time I'm a bit of a Methodist because that's the way I was raised and I accept that it's a way to help people lead their own lives. However, I don't understand the whole relationship with God part of it - what exactly that's supposed to mean and how people go about it (heck, I don't even understand why people pray). (Anyway, enough on religion I guess... `^^)

So yeah, I try to find a method to just about everything and if I can't, it'll bother me forever - it's a curse, lol. Yet at the same time, I spend just about all my free time involved in some sort of game or cartoon. Maybe as as an escape from real world stuff since I'm always thinking in that area more than I should? I dunno. To myself, I call myself the mature child, lol. I'm easily entertained, whether it be a cartoon or maybe something random I see animals doing, and I laugh all the time. And as far as Santa goes, I definitely believe in him after this year. I desperately wanted a friend for Christmas (yes, I did consciously wish this in my mind) - I'm a loner who's always socially awkward and find it hard to get close to others and I was away from family this year so I had no one. Only a few days before Christmas I somehow managed to ask a friend out on impulse as if it were completely natural to me, which it never has been, and then feel completely comfortable and myself the whole time I was with him. I've been hanging out with him ever since - something that I've only ever been able to do with my siblings. Santa must have "gotten my letter," lol.

I believe it's silly to think the world necessarily end at the limits of what you can see, or grasp, or understand. However, there is already so much wonder, so many amazing and intriguing and eerie things in the world that I don't really care about what I can't quite reach ! I already have my hooves full, in a way.

Giant rats really will follow you and try to give you hugs while you're screaming.

Hahaha this made me laugh so hard ! I have fond memories of Chuck E Cheese.

Well, this is quite interesting. :D

The universe is so perfectly balanced. There is a great depth to it and to our existence, so much so that I believe there is a reason to it all.

Being a born Muslim, it's my duty to believe that this life has a meaning and purpose to it. That it's not just a one chance advantage to make due with what I have before I pass away.

Guest HipsterRarity

Well, this is quite interesting. :D

The universe is so perfectly balanced. There is a great depth to it and to our existence, so much so that I believe there is a reason to it all.

Being a born Muslim, it's my duty to believe that this life has a meaning and purpose to it. That it's not just a one chance advantage to make due with what I have before I pass away.

Isn't it though? Much more so than I ever fathomed it would be when I started it. Thanks to everypony who's participating, as it's giving a myriad of views rather than just a single-sided argument.

I believe it's silly to think the world necessarily end at the limits of what you can see, or grasp, or understand. However, there is already so much wonder, so many amazing and intriguing and eerie things in the world that I don't really care about what I can't quite reach ! I already have my hooves full, in a way.

Hahaha this made me laugh so hard ! I have fond memories of Chuck E Cheese.

Yes, well... It's amusing in retrospect I'll admit, terrifying at the time. I'm glad I could share some laughter :) And ZeroHero, I'm elated to hear that you found the spirit of Christmas (What I still call Santa :Rarity: )

Perhaps I'm a bit of a head-case in this area.

When it comes to real life, I am an atheist, and believe that everything that occurs can be explained in some measure of logic, one way or another. Cause and effect and all that. I believe life, at least on Earth, has no particular point or end goal.

All that said, this isn't the way I want to look at life. That's why I spend the majority of the hours of my days in a daydream state, immersed in worlds of fiction where impossible and unlikely things do occur, and with great regularity. These fictional worlds are the places I was meant to be born into - places where genres define the rules of reality, characters are properly developed and shaped, and there is a fairly large chance that some kind of overarching deity does exist. If not that, then karma at least plays a massive role. Good always triumphs over evil. The Power of Love is scientific fact.

So, to summarise, although I see the world as a bleak and logical place, that's exactly why I avoid it. In the words of Owl City, 'The Real World is a lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there'.

I strongly belive in spirits and ghosts of the such, and also believe that there are portals to other worlds as well as different versions of ourselves in these worlds :P.

These are pretty much the only things connecting me to my inner child, ive pretty much had to grow up real fast, learning not to believe in santa and magic of the sort at the age of 6 :P derp.

Guest HipsterRarity

And so the whimsical begins to catch up to the logical. I wonder how much of this behavior is learned and how much is innate in each case? Perhaps we'll find out.

While I do believe that science and logic dictate what makes the world turn, and how things happen, I also feel that something else exists and makes itself known subtly, like when you do something awesome on accident, but can never do it on purpose.

The universe is infinite, and full of strange things.

At best, we'll be able to explain a fraction of what goes out there, inside us, and around us.