An idea I think the community needs to pitch to Hasbro

starswirlthebearded

I've been lurking in the community for a little under a month, been a fan for about two months. There is no doubt that there is no lack of creativity in the MLP:FiM community. From the music to the RP OCs. I really think they need to hold contests for the fans. Specifically an original character contest with the winner having their creation be a background pony on the show. Companies have done this before in the past. I know Nickelodeon did this at least once in the 90s, and I recall it being a big hit with a huge response. I think they can easily do it with the community we have here. They can choose either to do it by original artwork or by a pony designer that they can create (I know there is one already, but they will likely want to make their own). I think it would be a great opportunity not to see the fans getting recognition but also to bridge the adult fandom with the younger fandom (naturally there would have to be at least 2 choices, one from older fans and one from younger, at minimum).

What does everypony think of this idea?

Btw, I apologize if this idea has been posted about before, I used the search and came up with nothing.

No I think that's asking far too much and would be a legal sticky mess..plus I'd rather not see bronies develop fat heads and insist their characters are now canon cause they were in the background...

I understand your latter concern, but your former... How? MLP is the property of Hasbro, who would be running the competition. It is their intellectual property, therefore there would be no legal issues. All creations fall under fair use, and if they incorporate it into the show it would be their call. Again the bronies getting fat heads is a concern, but it would be as much for them as the younger community whom the show is targeted towards, and for a kid to have their creation put on a show, is a pretty big deal.

A little kid yes, but an adult with a character that Hasbro could now own and do whatever they like with? THat would be a bit of a mess

Technically Hasbro can use ANY character made by fans right now, because you are using character designs based on their property. So, there wouldn't be any legal issue, because, we did not come up with the design or the concept. The characters fall under fair use, but that does not mean the creators can lay claim to the concept art. The creator can request monetary compensation for use of their character design idea, but that is where the legal issue would end. Any further than that would not end well for the artist. And I have a feeling that Hasbro would not have issue giving monetary a prize either for adults, and a toy based prize for kids, along with their character being displayed as a background pony.

Edit: Again this is only an idea. And even if they limited it to kids only, tell me that you don't think an adult would enter just because they wanted. Hell it is a high possibility that adults would enter more than kids anyway.

Okay, personally, I think having a contest type deal would be pretty awesome. However, I see the "big head" thing being an issue. I understand Lime's side of it, the brony who won might insist that their character should become one of the "Fan 6" (Derpy, Octavia, Doctor Whooves, Vinyl Scratch, Bon Bon and Lyra), and that would just be a mess. Personally, if I won and had my character in the background, I would be pretty damn excited, especially if I was in the target audience (see: 8 years old). Even now, I would be pretty excited, and I would probably tell my friends, and maybe people like you guys, but besides that, I wouldn't really care. There's also the problem of everyone would say "That was my character" and that also makes a huge mess and the world would be a better place without all the head-ache that would bring.

The second issue, legality, wouldn't be an issue: Hub/Hasbro has the rights to MLP, so any character made for the constest, especially if it was made with a program that the Hub made would, legally, be the Hub's. So... legally, the winner couldn't claim anything from Hub, since they gave their character to Hub for use in the show.

Not a huge fan of that kind of contests. They did that for Doctor Who several times, and it led to some of the dumbest alien designs ever. XD

edit: ...and you just know that some crayon drawing would be picked as the winner, not one of the brony perfect vectorized kind of designs.

Not a huge fan of that kind of contests. They did that for Doctor Who several times, and it led to some of the dumbest alien designs ever. XD

edit: ...and you just know that some crayon drawing would be picked as the winner, not one of the brony perfect vectorized kind of designs.

OK... That is the first real argument against this idea I have heard yet. I had totally forgotten about the Dr who contests (I think I blocked them from memory). So... Yeah. Some horrible designs. Why did you have to remind me?

As for the second, it largely depends on selection processes and rules. It is likely they would opt for hand drawn designs, but that doesn't mean that the selection be done entirely by Hasbro.

You gotta share, you gotta care. It's the right thing to do. (You're welcome)

Hate to break it to you, but that kind of contests are almost always predetermined, setting up a fake vote to generate traffic. That have to end up with something they can work with, after all.