How do you rein in your focus?

When writing, drawing, composing or what have you, many have issues with focusing on the task at hand (or hoof, as the case may be). I'm curious to know what your method of overcoming this potentially crippling affliction is.

As for me, I found a very nice soothing song on Youtube, about a minute long and I looped it. Now, I can focus for hours at a time, a calming melody obliterating unwanted thought from my mind and allowing me to focus. I can use it to artificially induce my "Hyper Focus" mode, which comes from my ADHD.

When I get into something, and I mean DEEP into something, I can slip into a state of mind I like to Call Hyper Focus. All other information is laid by the wayside and I go tunnel vision. Time passes without my knoiwing it and before long, I've written 10,000 words in a single chapter on my fanfic and I'm half asleep at my computer thinkg "the fudge was that"

It's all quite fun.

Oh and for interested parties, Here's a link to that song I mentioned. http://www.repeatmyvids.com/watch?v=cnHdbL6A6FY&feature=related&kmdom=youtube Enjoy!

When I want to focus on something, I usually have to deal with it.

But if it's super important, I change into something really comfortable and make myself comfortable,

turn the heat up/down and such. Changing the atmosphere of your workspace really helps, scientifically.

I only play mood songs if they have no lyrics - I get distracted easily.

I guess my situation is an oddity then.

Wouldn't it be nice if everybody had something they could turn on that obliterated unnessicary thought? Things would get done a whole lot better.

For me, it'd have to be a nice melody sounding through high-quality headphones, and several large automated machinegun turrets menacingly tracking anyone who dares approach. Seriously, the worst problem with my focus is people demanding my attention for some reason when I'm trying to focus.

Well, as far as 'mood to write' goes, if you want to make a living off the end of your pen, then you have to forget about moods and write anyway!

But yeah, a lot of people don't really have a trick. I didn't until I found that song.

It's a good thing it's only a hobby for me then. I literally cannot be forced to just write something.

I find that playing a song that is calm, or you like in the background quietly helps, then trying to pace your self to meet the beats thus calming you down. Strangely enough Winter wrap up seems to do that.

Listening to your song, I could not make it work for me due to the small cut-off between replays, I have to have the song going continues. In VLC player I have it so as soon as it hit's the end it jumps back to the start. And as I don't focus on the words, the tune just echo's through my mind..

Guest EoLPinkie

I'm terrible at focusing unless I'm in an environment without fun things to distract me! Whenever I did homework last year in college I would answer a problem, watch TV, answer a problem, go online, play a game, take a shower, answer a problem, sleep for 2 hours, then finish with the TV on :D Somehow I still get things done!

• 2 weeks later...

I like to design games as a hobby activity. For focus, I don't really need to be in any specific mindset, but I'm almost always listening to music. I have a giant playlist that I have on shuffle most of the time.

Though to help me focus, I have various tools around me, and things to help me, math wise, posted on my wall in front of me. A few conversion tables, a visual chart of degrees/radians, and some other various math related things.

For me, it is very hard to kept focus once I get distracted by something or someone. So step, I listen to music that motovates the project I'm working on and if that dosn't work, I try to remember the image of the end result, the feeling of finshing, submitting for everyone to see and being commented on it but if that all fails, I just do something else then come back to it later, if I don't forget about it. :D